Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,362 posts
  • 344 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by northvibe
  • Topic is favorited by 19 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

cat.gif
    1FC613F8-B795-423A-A26F-A1FB88000D08 (resized).jpeg
    BD3329FA-1AFB-4902-B811-8A7BBAC4D66F.jpeg
    waf (resized).jpg
    913305B7-F7CB-4A60-B13C-D013E5BD786E.jpeg
    TheHomer (resized).png
    5D897299-BB3E-4372-A7F4-085917360B45 (resized).jpeg
    A5F5013C-22C8-403D-B404-5169633335B4 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Stern hurt you (resized).jpg
    rec.gif
    200.gif
    Screenshot_20190719-062816_Twitch (resized).jpg
    B9ADD20A-6042-4EDC-8626-F4CEE83B368F (resized).jpeg
    76D5C515-06BC-4631-982F-0EB5CF763AD2 (resized).jpeg
    dq (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider benheck.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#112 4 years ago

Should be: Stranger Things since the last season anyone will probably care about comes out in a few weeks.

Probably is: Jurassic World as its been rumored for years. New movies are junk but Millenials worship the brand so will do great on location.

Elvira: I'd expect BM66 pricing. Mostly as an insurance policy against weak sales of yet another old man themes after Munsters and BK3.

#117 4 years ago

Elvira 3 was finished AGES ago so they must have some trepidation about release. Combine this with weaker sales of 3 old person themes in a row and yes they will probably use a Batman 66 pricing model to reduce risk.

It's like postage stamps, the less they sell the higher the price gets. Or iPhones whose sales have declined several years in a row but price increases made up the difference (until last fall when they hit the price wall)

#154 4 years ago

If TMNT I suspect some custom Zombie Yeti art because none of the existing art styles for Turtles would be accepted in Old Man Caves (tm)

Now if Stern were really smart they'd license all the cool videogame music from the Konami games and have a "NES feel" without having to deal with Nintendo.

#181 4 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

I'm not saying there isn't good stuff to choose from recent years but in terms of relevance, its just not an issue.

Gen X is a major driver in pinball's success now. We started playing in early 90's which is also when Williams started to lean heavily into licenses. T2, Batman, Jurassic Park, Hook, Addam's Family, Bram Stoker's, TNG, Indiana Jones... all things we enjoyed and served as a "gateway drug" to get us interested.

What if all the licenses back then had been 50 year old stuff? Bing Crosby Multiball, Gregory Peck The Pin, John Wayne's Cactus Canyon? Would we have cared? We laugh at themes like "Roy Clark The Entertainer" but that was just as dated then as many of these themes are now.

Any business should think about long term success, and in an industry that relies so heavily on licensing themes, some thought should be given to what people under 50 enjoy.

DISCLAIMER: I'm 43. I really enjoyed TMNT back in the day and think the 1990 movie still holds up.

#189 4 years ago

The bullseye is 80s themes. Appeals to Gen Xers and also millennials are strangely obsessed with that decade. 80s is the new zombies.

TNA did a great job with this (and shocker it was from a young designer) Had old school single level brutality but also the cheesy colors, sounds and graphics of retro 80s stylings (compete with an atomic theme)

Right now on YouTube the "fuzzy VHS, wow and flutter tape distortion, analog crappiness" vibe is really popular. Best Buy ditched CD and now only carry vinyl. Younger people are definitely interested in the older analog world so no reason they can't also become pinball fans.

#237 4 years ago

"TMNT is a stupid idea, why would anyone want this?"

(sees pin with amazing Zombie Yeti art)

"SHUT UP AND TAKE ALL MY MONIIIIIESSSSSES!"

#324 4 years ago

Stern to rumored to have Stranger Things license. They'd be stupid not to make it.

1) actual modern relevant theme
    2) appeals to Gen X who buy pins because they grew up in the 80s
    3) appeals to Millenials who play on location because they're obsessed with the 80s as a concept.

It's time for Stern themes to come back to the 21st century.

#343 4 years ago

There's been 2 Jurassic pins already. I also don't think it's a license Gen X (home buyer) cares about much.

#353 4 years ago
    Quoted from Coolpinballdino:

Those Titanic games are great for parts. I managed to get one cheap and use all the boards for some of my Sega pinball's.

Yeah it's Whitestar. A friend of mine helped another friend use Titanic boards to fix his LOTR.

Wait... WHITESTAR? Didn't they build the Titanic? ILLUMINATI CONFIRMED! #moonLandingFake

#390 4 years ago

Not saying Stranger Things is greatest show ever. First couple of new episodes have been "meh".

But it is super popular. And it's higher quality than the turd sandwiches that were the last 2 Jurassic movies .

#392 4 years ago

Yes and without a license!

#395 4 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

So you're saying we need a modern relevant theme based on the 80's.

Yes, we need something cross-generational.

It's actually why I think BTTF would be kind of a dumb theme. That movie was about baby boomers and Gen X. What connection is there for younger people?

#398 4 years ago

Spooky explored Holy Grail, at one point it was going to be my second game there.

Had some pretty cool ideas for a hackable knight mech.

#401 4 years ago

A Back to the Future remake would make so much sense.

The joke about "who's president in the future?" even still works. Maybe they could fix the bad science of a plutonium rod creating electricity.

#413 4 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

No, for people who keep saying we want modern, hip, contemporary themes and then think a show set back over 30 years ago is a good idea.

Why does the time period of the show matter? What matters is the show is current and relevant.

It's like saying Happy Days wasn't relevant in the 70s because it took place in the 50s.

Nostalgia is always in style.

#421 4 years ago

That's a great idea Trey!

Yeah the fact a POS like Gottlieb SMB out-earns everything is a pretty clear sign of what actual location goers like.

I fear though that working with Nintendo would make Disney look like Sony.

#438 4 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Fuck them. You guys man, young people do not buy pinball machines, and don't go to barcades so where is the need what so ever to appeal to young folk?

Young people don't go to barcades? Are you serious? They spend more money at bars than any generation before them! And they're going to bars more and later in life because they're not popping out kids at age 23 like Gen X and BB before them.

Guess what's in bars? PINBALL MACHINES! That's where they belong, that's the original purpose. I can't randomly walk into a rich dude's basement but I can randomly walk into a bar.

Signed, Someone Who Actually Interacts with Millenials on a Regular Basis, is Friends with a Lot of Them, and Even Knows Some who own Pinball Machines.

#447 4 years ago

Yeah Stranger Things 3 was kind of weak. The monster wasn't really well explained and the only one of the original team who really did anything was Dustin (the toothless goofball).

#457 4 years ago

I think bar-fly millenials would have to own a car before they'd be able to get a DUI.

Look I'm not saying make Power Rangers, Pokemon (insert millenial catnip title here) pinball, just consider younger players once in a while. Stern claims to care so much about operators (and they're the only company making pins operators can afford) so why not consider the base of who's actually playing these games outside of rich Gen X basements?

1 week later
    #562 4 years ago

It's not going to be a pin. I say this because last I knew the rights holders were still pimping it.

It's probably a poster regarding a SDCC panel regarding the now-filming 3rd movie.

#563 4 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

It's not going to be a pin. I say this because last I knew the rights holders were still pimping it.
    It's probably a poster for a SDCC panel regarding the now-filming 3rd movie.

#564 4 years ago

Wow. Edit fail on my part.

#583 4 years ago

The Duffer Bros are pinheads and were shopping the license around a few years back = Stern has the Stranger Things license.

It'd be a smart move. White-hot actual CURRENT IP theme, appeals to both the Gen Xers who buy games and millenials who drop location quarters, kids also love it and it takes place in the 80's which is the current "cool" nostalgia era. (80's is the new zombies)

Add in some licensed songs, do the score display in the "fuzzy VHS" motif (also very en vogue these days) and it will SELL!

#663 4 years ago
    Quoted from Guinnesstime:

What's cheaper to use than a spring? I'm still thinking.

A piece of curved spring steel.

Springs are actually kind of expensive...

#744 4 years ago
    Quoted from Time:

Correct. It's going to be another music pin. Meatloaf - Bat out of Hell Pinball

That would be AMAZEBALLS!

#920 4 years ago

Maybe this is the first web-connected Stern game?

It links directly to your eye doctor, if you have trouble reading the score it schedules an appointment for you.

#1034 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

These won’t move at $4,000.
    That is a tremendous amount of money for most families.

Exactly. 1up Arcade found the price ceiling for these sort of purchases and even then sounds like they collect dust in weaker stores.

And yes I agree with Hilton the demographic of "really well off people who don't know how to use the internet" is probably zero if you exclude celebrities.

#1069 4 years ago

Holy crap, my "A piece of metal is cheaper than a spring" comment came true.

LOL the fake music.

#1195 4 years ago

Stern like any company has finite time and resources.

I think people are upset because they spent resources making a "machine for no one" instead of finishing code for existing games or putting more effort into new ones.

I'm sure they have a pretty good margin on this but even if they sold it for zero profit it still wouldn't be cheap enough to be a mass market item.

#1228 4 years ago

It's 4X too much for normies.

It might work at 1k but then you'd have to build in China. Then you have the issue of product size. It's not a flat pack like 1up. Think of the volume this box takes up, just for a 1k item. You could fit 50k of phones or laptops in that same volume. This is an issue for shipping as well as retail.

Consumer grade price, made in America, high quality.... pick 2.

#1278 4 years ago

Theory: What if the SW regular game "ran out of gas" sales-wise and this is simply to burn up the license period?

#1316 4 years ago

This might... *might* have a shot as a mass market retail item if it was flat packed, $1000 and made in China.

4K made in USA? Forget about it. Wal-Mart/Target wouldn't even return your calls about distribution. Iron Man Classic was a dud at $2800 and it was far closer to a real game than this thing.

You don't grow your market by targeting demos that don't exist.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider benheck.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/next-stern-game-will-be-summer-release?tu=benheck and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.