Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,362 posts
  • 344 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by northvibe
  • Topic is favorited by 19 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

cat.gif
    1FC613F8-B795-423A-A26F-A1FB88000D08 (resized).jpeg
    BD3329FA-1AFB-4902-B811-8A7BBAC4D66F.jpeg
    waf (resized).jpg
    913305B7-F7CB-4A60-B13C-D013E5BD786E.jpeg
    TheHomer (resized).png
    5D897299-BB3E-4372-A7F4-085917360B45 (resized).jpeg
    A5F5013C-22C8-403D-B404-5169633335B4 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Stern hurt you (resized).jpg
    rec.gif
    200.gif
    Screenshot_20190719-062816_Twitch (resized).jpg
    B9ADD20A-6042-4EDC-8626-F4CEE83B368F (resized).jpeg
    76D5C515-06BC-4631-982F-0EB5CF763AD2 (resized).jpeg
    dq (resized).png

There are 1,362 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 28.
    #151 4 years ago
    Quoted from davijc02:

I can’t imagine Stern is really all that worried about Wonka. The layout looks interesting but the theme is crap and the code looked fairly boring.

Lemme guess, you're excited for Elvira 3 or some yet another pin for a band that's been around for 50 years?

#152 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

[quoted image]

That's way too bright for current DC Batman.

TMNT (resized).jpgTMNT (resized).jpg
    #153 4 years ago
    Quoted from Sako-TRG:

Please....... don't want anything aquatic or with big teeth.
    For the love of god, someone please put MET Premium back on the production line

Auqua man Stern Trident remake....

#154 4 years ago

If TMNT I suspect some custom Zombie Yeti art because none of the existing art styles for Turtles would be accepted in Old Man Caves (tm)

Now if Stern were really smart they'd license all the cool videogame music from the Konami games and have a "NES feel" without having to deal with Nintendo.

#155 4 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Now if Stern were really smart they'd license all the cool videogame music from the Konami games and have a "NES feel" without having to deal with Nintendo.

Now that’s something I can get behind and would love in my old man cave. Now where’s my prune juice?

#156 4 years ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

Lemme guess, you're excited for Elvira 3 or some yet another pin for a band that's been around for 50 years?

I'm excited for Elvira 3... And I own a Maiden and I love Maiden. Been a fan of theirs since I was 10 years old. Been a fan of heavy metal longer, but didn't learn who they were until I was a bit older.

But, Wonka has been around longer than both Maiden and Elvira... So not sure your point holds water.
    Not picking a fight. I have no desire to own any JJP. But, I sure as heck love to play them.

Dialed In is an amazing game. One of the best I've ever played. Super fun, just hate the theme and I don't want to have it in my collection, but I'll always play it if I see it. Also their pins are really, really heavy. So I don't want the hassle of moving em.
    And I know I'll always want to play a Wonka when I find one on location or at an expo. I think there is plenty of room in this hobby for everyone and all the pinballs they like.

One thing... If Elvira s#*$ the bed, I won't be buying it. I really hope to play it first. I was super excited for Munsters, and its just doesn't do anything for me. I have played it a lot of times and just not a pin I enjoy. Its fine that people like it. I'll keep playing it when I see it, but only a game or two.

#157 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Uff TMNT; couldn't think of anything worse.

I could but yeah its pretty bad.

#158 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

If you like Elvira then you are O L D

If you don't like Elvira then you might just be another boys room mate.
    Whysnow?
    7295324996_10c326b30a (resized).jpg7295324996_10c326b30a (resized).jpg

#159 4 years ago

Forget the modern stuff, the movies, the arcade game or even the 90's cartoon.

Go old school... all the way back to the original look of the Eastman & Laird comics. Most people think they started with the TV cartoon. Your average kid today is probably completely clueless to TMNT's violent comic origins. Why are they all wearing Raphael's red mask???

It's a great theme for pinball though & could be a great seller if done properly.

tmnt25 (resized).jpgtmnt25 (resized).jpg

#160 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Stranger Things season 3 looks terrible.

Looks pretty damn good to me, i cant wait to see it!

#161 4 years ago

I sure hope TMNT is not a reality, don't even know I would want to buy a pro for location...

#162 4 years ago

Queen or ZZTop?

#163 4 years ago
    Quoted from Bingovit:

I sure hope TMNT is not a reality, don't even know I would want to buy a pro for location...

TMNT would kill on location! It may not appeal to the age 45-65 crowd but anyone that was born between 1975 and today grew up with the Turtles. They are a property that has stayed relevant even today.

#164 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballer73:

Queen or ZZTop?

Queen would be awesome! Hope it happens.

#165 4 years ago
    Quoted from MikeS:

TMNT would kill on location! It may not appeal to the age 45-65 crowd but anyone that was born between 1975 and today grew up with the Turtles. They are a property that has stayed relevant even today.

I'm from 1989

Don't mix Europe with America, big differences!
    Like people here don't care for a theme like WoZ or Wonka or the regular Joe hasn't even heard of Elvira...

#166 4 years ago
    Quoted from Bingovit:

I'm from 1989
    Don't mix Europe with America, big differences!
    Like people here don't care for a theme like WoZ or Wonka or the regular Joe hasn't even heard of Elvira...

I don’t think pinball cares much about what Europe wants based on sales.

US and Oz are all that seem to matter

#167 4 years ago
    Quoted from Coolpinballdino:

I am ready for Jurassic World.[quoted image]

Me too.

30592 (resized).jpeg30592 (resized).jpeg
    #168 4 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

you might just be another boys room mate.

And what if...they........were?

#169 4 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

And what if...they........were?

Then they have no interest in Elvira and her great outfits and dancing at the Blue Oyster is a viable Friday night option. Isn't that obvious?

#170 4 years ago

Laughing my ass of that Gary Stern said Pro models are underpriced today. Bhahaha. Bhahaha.

#171 4 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

LOL CGC is Sterns biggest competitor not JJP as for hits JJP has not had one since TH

CGC and The Hobbit?

#172 4 years ago

My guess:

Jurassic World
    Elvira (Oct 31)
    James Bond
    TMNT

Good luck to all amateur forecasters of new game. Hope to see some total MISDIRECTION soon from a legit manufacturer.

#173 4 years ago
    CC27C534-D133-47EE-8F5A-A1BF4414832F.gifCC27C534-D133-47EE-8F5A-A1BF4414832F.gif
    #174 4 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Combine this with weaker sales of 3 old person themes in a row

I'd be elated if they stepped away from those myself for a while. Love the classification of that era of themes "Old man themes". Need to start pulling from the 90's and up for a bit, at least stuff that still relevant. Regardless of how good the game is, the theme is the hook.

#175 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

So...
    consensus is Jurassic World
    Sometime in June or July?
    anything else?

There is talk of Tron vault as well

#176 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

If you like Elvira then you are O L D

I just told that to my 13 year old niece and 10 year old nephew who are visiting and love playing my Elvira Scared Stiff pin every single day, and my niece replied "Why?". So what "factual" comment do I hit them with now?

#177 4 years ago
    Quoted from Reality_Studio:

I just told that to my 13 year old niece and 10 year old nephew who are visiting and love playing my Elvira Scared Stiff pin every single day, and my niece replied "Why?". So what "factual" comment do I hit them with now?

Why? because Elvira (the character, not the pinball) is based on old school machismo vanity of tits and ass and zero substance.
    It is about that fake persona of looks are all that matter to men.

Just kind of dates you if that is your thing.

My dad loved Elvira and her pasty white cleavage and sexual everything. Nothing wrong with that and I get it, but it dates you as Old and why we rarely see that type of character anymore.

#178 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Why? because Elvira (the character, not the pinball) is based on old school machismo vanity of tits and ass and zero substance.

My dad loved Elvira and her pasty white cleavage and sexual everything. Nothing wrong with that and I get it, but it dates you as Old and why we rarely see that type of character anymore.

And ur back in the bar.

blue_oyster_bar (resized).jpgblue_oyster_bar (resized).jpg
    #179 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Virtue signal much? People like what they like, and Cassandra is right in on it. In her own words :

People think being Elvira is a lot of fun - and it is - but I was doing a lot more bizarre stuff before then, just being a dancer and a showgirl and traveling around Italy in a band and working for Playboy Club, and later being a model and meeting a million and one people and being kind of a groupie... It's all been really interesting.
    Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/cassandra_peterson_504315

#180 4 years ago
    Quoted from hocuslocus:

Love the classification of that era of themes "Old man themes". Need to start pulling from the 90's and up for a bit, at least stuff that still relevant.

Why is that? man there are still people on this site who think this hobby is going to spread to a new generation. Its not, at least not in the way we enjoy pinball. The young folk of today aren't gonna spend big money on this stuff, we do because its from our youth thats the biggest reason in my estimate anyway. Kids today stare at their phone and play console video games. What is to be achieved by bringing in themes from the 21st century? You know theres a very good reason BM66 was made and Beatles and Maiden, GB's, Wonka etc. I'm not saying there isn't good stuff to choose from recent years but in terms of relevance, its just not an issue.

#181 4 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

I'm not saying there isn't good stuff to choose from recent years but in terms of relevance, its just not an issue.

Gen X is a major driver in pinball's success now. We started playing in early 90's which is also when Williams started to lean heavily into licenses. T2, Batman, Jurassic Park, Hook, Addam's Family, Bram Stoker's, TNG, Indiana Jones... all things we enjoyed and served as a "gateway drug" to get us interested.

What if all the licenses back then had been 50 year old stuff? Bing Crosby Multiball, Gregory Peck The Pin, John Wayne's Cactus Canyon? Would we have cared? We laugh at themes like "Roy Clark The Entertainer" but that was just as dated then as many of these themes are now.

Any business should think about long term success, and in an industry that relies so heavily on licensing themes, some thought should be given to what people under 50 enjoy.

DISCLAIMER: I'm 43. I really enjoyed TMNT back in the day and think the 1990 movie still holds up.

#182 4 years ago

IMO these themes kind of suck. For some it’s nostalgic, but Bond and Elvira are old and stale. TMNT is meh. Never really got into them.

90s:
    Movie comes out
    Pin is made

Today:
    Movie comes out
    Pin isn’t made

Why can’t we have this?

#183 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wmsfan-GAP:

Aren’t we due for a Music theme pin for this year?

JJP Yes
    Stern No

#184 4 years ago
    Quoted from Guinnesstime:

IMO these themes kind of suck. For some it’s nostalgic, but Bond and Elvira are old and stale. TMNT is meh. Never really got into them.
    90s:
    Movie comes out
    Pin is made
    Today:
    Movie comes out
    Pin isn’t made
    Why can’t we have this?

UM....

Avengers, Transformers, Tron, GOTG, Deadpool, LOTR, The Hobbit, POTC......to name but a few.

#185 4 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Gen X is a major driver in pinball's success now. We started playing in early 90's

Gen X’ers were playing in the 70’s as kids. Other than that, pretty much spot on. Oh, and Roy Clark was closer to contemporary than any of the recent Stern pins. By comparison, Allied Leisure would have needed to make “Clara Bow: the Pinball” in the late 70’s to be as behind the times as Stern is.

#186 4 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Why is that?

just because it sounds funny .
    I don't have any nostalgia for pinball. Never even knew there was a community till 4 months after I bought one for location.

#187 4 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

DISCLAIMER: I'm 43. I really enjoyed TMNT back in the day and think the 1990 movie still holds up.

Well Ben I'm 44 and never even saw that film so maybe our worlds are too far apart on this one, probably that one aswell. When I was 16 in 1990 I didn't care what the theme was just wanted to smoke hash get my quarters, not be in class and have fun. How many kids are going to the local arcades to play pinball now a days? It could be a lot I'm really asking but it can't be anywhere as close as to when we were younglings, do arcades even exist anymore? Now you want to get 40 50 60 somethings to buy high priced toys u better theme it accordingly. JMO

#188 4 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Well Ben I'm 44 and never even saw that film so maybe our worlds are to far apart on this one, probably that one too. When I was 16 in 1990 I didn't care what the theme was just wanted to smoke hash get my quarters, not be in class and have fun. How many kids are going to the local arcades to play pinball now a days? It could be a lot I'm really asking but it can't be anywhere as close as to when we were younglings, do arcades even exist anymore? Now you want to get 40 50 60 somethings to buy high priced toys u better theme it accordingly. JMO

Yep. Agreed 100%. Cultural Age demographics go in cycles. It’s our time right now. Then it will be the next gen’s time. We rebelled against the Boomers in the eighties. Natural cycle I guess.

#189 4 years ago

The bullseye is 80s themes. Appeals to Gen Xers and also millennials are strangely obsessed with that decade. 80s is the new zombies.

TNA did a great job with this (and shocker it was from a young designer) Had old school single level brutality but also the cheesy colors, sounds and graphics of retro 80s stylings (compete with an atomic theme)

Right now on YouTube the "fuzzy VHS, wow and flutter tape distortion, analog crappiness" vibe is really popular. Best Buy ditched CD and now only carry vinyl. Younger people are definitely interested in the older analog world so no reason they can't also become pinball fans.

#190 4 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Younger people are definitely interested in the older analog world so no reason they can't also become pinball fans.

I think they will be fans but doubtful that in 2040 it will be anything other than virtual pinball. Ahh who cares anyway.

#191 4 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Well Ben I'm 44 and never even saw that film so maybe our worlds are too far apart on this one

I think this is the case for many. A large demographic of users here seems to be 30-45 year olds but we still had wide ranges of likes from the 80s and 90s.

Hell, if I were picking themes of nostalgia they would be goonies, grateful dead, dazed and confused, another skateball/bmx generic theme, TMNT, garbage pail kids, and a proper simpsons.

I am guessing that would be different than many other from the same era.

#192 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I am guessing that would be different than many other from the same era.

Quite Right. Total Recall, Running Man, Aliens, Predator, Blade Runner, Mad Max, Slayer, Evil Dead, Dune, Motorhead, Strange Brew. Man too many to list.

#193 4 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Gen X is a major driver in pinball's success now. We started playing in early 90's which is also when Williams started to lean heavily into licenses. T2, Batman, Jurassic Park, Hook, Addam's Family, Bram Stoker's, TNG, Indiana Jones... all things we enjoyed and served as a "gateway drug" to get us interested.
    What if all the licenses back then had been 50 year old stuff? Bing Crosby Multiball, Gregory Peck The Pin, John Wayne's Cactus Canyon? Would we have cared? We laugh at themes like "Roy Clark The Entertainer" but that was just as dated then as many of these themes are now.
    Any business should think about long term success, and in an industry that relies so heavily on licensing themes, some thought should be given to what people under 50 enjoy.

You make a few good points(some of those themes would be terrible), but some things are timeless and shouldn't automatically be disregarded because they were created before your or anybody else's time.

#194 4 years ago
    Quoted from Honch:

but some things are timeless and shouldn't automatically be disregarded because they were created before your or anybody else's time.

Just not Elvira.

#195 4 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

The bullseye is 80s themes. Appeals to Gen Xers and also millennials are strangely obsessed with that decade. 80s is the new zombies. Right now on YouTube the "fuzzy VHS, wow and flutter tape distortion, analog crappiness" vibe is really popular. Best Buy ditched CD and now only carry vinyl. Younger people are definitely interested in the older analog world so no reason they can't also become pinball fans.

100% agree

Every time my kids have friends over they want me to tell stories about the 80's. It really is magic to them and it makes me feel like a Mall Wizard when I share stories.

#196 4 years ago
    Quoted from hollywood:

UM....
    Avengers, Transformers, Tron, GOTG, Deadpool, LOTR, The Hobbit, POTC......to name but a few.

7 years ago (NO SOUND BYTES), 8 years ago, 9 years ago, 5 years ago (NO SOUND BYTES), 18 years ago, Shitty trilogy, Shittier Trilogy +2

#197 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

Just not Elvira.

Believe it or not(another timeless theme imho), you're under no obligation to buy it or even like it.

#198 4 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Strange Brew

what OKT should have been!

#199 4 years ago
    Quoted from Honch:

you're under no obligation to buy it or even like it.

done. thanks

#200 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

what OKT should have been!

Yep. Theme matters so much more than a lot of pinsiders like to think, until a theme comes around they don't like. I'm thinking a dark thrash metal music simple layout speed freak style pin. Then its get out the pitch forks and torches. I love it when it happens and it will happen again. I'm hoping with a Slayer pin.

There are 1,362 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 28.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/next-stern-game-will-be-summer-release/page/4?hl=mnpinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.