Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,362 posts
  • 344 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by northvibe
  • Topic is favorited by 19 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

cat.gif
    1FC613F8-B795-423A-A26F-A1FB88000D08 (resized).jpeg
    BD3329FA-1AFB-4902-B811-8A7BBAC4D66F.jpeg
    waf (resized).jpg
    913305B7-F7CB-4A60-B13C-D013E5BD786E.jpeg
    TheHomer (resized).png
    5D897299-BB3E-4372-A7F4-085917360B45 (resized).jpeg
    A5F5013C-22C8-403D-B404-5169633335B4 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Stern hurt you (resized).jpg
    rec.gif
    200.gif
    Screenshot_20190719-062816_Twitch (resized).jpg
    B9ADD20A-6042-4EDC-8626-F4CEE83B368F (resized).jpeg
    76D5C515-06BC-4631-982F-0EB5CF763AD2 (resized).jpeg
    dq (resized).png

There are 1,362 posts in this topic. You are on page 26 of 28.
    #1251 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I am pretty sure that Stern is very comfortable with the troll roll.
    This is kind of that new era of marketing style where it is cool to F with your customer base. Problem is that Stern comes off kind of prickish rather than "ha ha we got you" since they dont really engage with customers outside of these things.
    Also, it really seems like they think any press is good press, when reality is the opposite in todays world.
    The hard reality is that Stern trolls their customer base, continues to cheapen products, has recently gone radio silent on the many QC issues they are having (including no longer replacing parts that are defective within warranty? I hope this gets fixed ASAP), and steadily charges more for less.
    It seems like everytime they make strides in one spot (hey look... sweet code update for a 2 year old game) they F up on the flip side (shit marketing PR and more and more defective pfs going out).

Not really true, according to you they are charging you less, much less. How long before you claim distros are calling you to take a SWHP for $2500?

#1252 4 years ago
    Quoted from sethi_i:

They need to generate real excitement, not just use the word in a press release. And if anyone says there isn't any excitement surrounding this game, I say 1240 posts in a relatively short time (in just one forum thread) would indicate otherwise.

The Frankenstein monster generated excitement - in the form of angry villagers waving torches and pitchforks. This thread is the Pinside equivalent in reaction to the SW home edition pin - which isn't even intended for the average Pinsider.

#1253 4 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Hilton, I love ya buddy, but you really need to dial it back a bit on the over-the-top reactions to every little thing. Pinball is fun and all but your blood pressure will thank you if you relax more.

I can assure you, I lose zero sleep over this and my resting HR is still 54 BPM.

This is ALL just fun hobby stuff.

Life has other things worth worrying about. Pinball is a diversion from reality for me.

#1254 4 years ago
    Quoted from littlecammi:

The Frankenstein monster generated excitement - in the form of angry villagers waving torches and pitchforks. This thread is the Pinside equivalent in reaction to the SW home edition pin - which isn't even intended for the average Pinsider.

My point exactly... And if that's going on here, then what's going on at ComicCon? Stern just needs the hardcore SW fanboys to hear about it. Their excitement may be positive. Only Stern's accounting department will know for sure.

#1255 4 years ago

Man, no props from anyone else? Well, I see what you did thar, sir, and I approve.

#1256 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Pinball is a diversion from reality for me.

Indeed.

#1257 4 years ago
    Quoted from Borygard:

As much as I personally despise a "home" version pinball machine, this will be great for the pinball hobby.
    Star Wars is the biggest licence in the world, people not into pinball (read-most of the world) will buy because of that.
    I see this as a great thing to help bring the masses to pinball.
    --
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics
    http://LockWhenLit.com
    Quality Board Work - In Home Service
    borygard at gmail dot com

At $4k it is not going to sell to the masses. Sorry, but it’s a watered down stripped down piece of junk that’s lame. Cheap crappy cars don’t last long on the market either. People learn pretty quickly that it’s not a good value.

#1258 4 years ago

Got to admit it was a mixed message getting Jack Danger to stream this on the day of release. That’s definitely fed into to the criticism. I’m guessing he hasn’t got a huge following of Costco mums and dads. Though I could be wrong, he’s a man of mystery.

#1259 4 years ago

Holy Moly 1Up arcades are $299 delivered! SW home edition for $4k is not a competitor in the home entertainment market. Hate to say it but they are built too sturdy to be priced where they need to be to have a chance of opening a new market. The cost to produce those would need to be under $1k. The home edition will fail because it is based on a false premise which allowed sales price to exceed $3k period

A5F5013C-22C8-403D-B404-5169633335B4 (resized).jpegA5F5013C-22C8-403D-B404-5169633335B4 (resized).jpeg

#1260 4 years ago

I see this being a 4000$ conversation piece, that In the end turns alot of people off from trying other (better/real) pinball machines. Stern will sell these, no doubt, but I doubt they see any returning customers from it. I dont see this 4k$ toy helping the pinball second hand market either.

#1261 4 years ago

I cant see any actual store carrying this item, it's way to large and overpriced. So is stern counting on people walking in to a distributer and choosing this over a real machine? Who spends 4k$+ on a single toy and would actually take a novelty version to save a few hundred? Ok, so your offering me 2/3 of the product for a savings off 1/5th????? Stern math........

#1262 4 years ago

Why all the complaining??? What’s good for Stern is good for this hobby. They’ve made a lower price point table loaded with features for the price. Stream yesterday showed a fun table with great coding at a street price point of only $3999, which will move thousands of tables, IMO. It’s a winner in anyone’s book. Stern still makes more complex tables for Pinsiders, so no worries.

#1263 4 years ago

Because we’re assuming it’s sucking up limited resources for things we think suck. We’re also speculating they won’t sell much so it won’t fund additional resources. Thus lose-lose

#1264 4 years ago

I think if I was duped into buying this, and then found out I could have gotten the real thing for just a little more, I'd feel duped or screwed over. That's not a good thing, for stern or pinball.

People keep saying it's not marketed to us. Ok that's fine. So how are they going to market this? Which one of the dieing box stores has room for this item? None.... so are they gona sell it online and expect (non pinball) people not to flip when they see the shipping price? No that's not gona work either. So in the end this thing will be sold by distributors of real pinball machines. So who's this marketed towards again?

#1265 4 years ago

For starters its marketed to Star Wars fans. Im not familiar with Star Wars toys but for under $4000 is there a better Star Wars toy that is as interactive one can buy for their homes?

#1266 4 years ago
    Quoted from TwoHeartedMale:

I think if I was duped into buying this, and then found out I could have gotten the real thing for just a little more, I'd feel duped or screwed over. That's not a good thing, for stern or pinball.
    People keep saying it's not marketed to us. Ok that's fine. So how are they going to market this? Which one of the dieing box stores has room for this item? None.... so are they gona sell it online and expect (non pinball) people not to flip when they see the shipping price? No that's not gona work either. So in the end this thing will be sold by distributors of real pinball machines. So who's this marketed towards again?

Many distributors sell lots of gameroom type items like pool tables, air hockey, Golden Tee, etc. Yesterday the lowest cost new pinball they offered was $5,600. Today it’s $4,000. This puts pinball in range of other game room purchases. Lower barrier to entry you are going to pickup more customers. These customers are not buying used pinball machines so that comparison holds no water.

#1267 4 years ago
    Quoted from ZenTron:

For starters its marketed to Star Wars fans. Im not familiar with Star Wars toys but for under $4000 is there a better Star Wars toy that is as interactive one can buy for their homes?

No shit? What gave that away? Lol and yea every star wars toy ever made cost less. And yes plenty are interactive its 2019... including the Life size R2D2.

#1268 4 years ago
    Quoted from kermit24:

Many distributors sell lots of gameroom type items like pool tables, air hockey, Golden Tee, etc. Yesterday the lowest cost new pinball they offered was $5,600. Today it’s $4,000. This puts pinball in range of other game room purchases. Lower barrier to entry you are going to pickup more customers. These customers are not buying used pinball machines so that comparison holds no water.

I just don't think a 1/5th price reduction is going to open any new markets. If your in the market for a 4k$ toy is 1k gona make or break your purchase? The people these things are marketed towards have more money then brains. I mean just look at pinside lol

#1269 4 years ago
    Quoted from TwoHeartedMale:

I just don't think a 1/5th price reduction is going to open any new markets. If your in the market for a 4k$ toy is 1k gona make or break your purchase? The people these things are marketed towards have more money then brains. I mean just look at pinside lol

I’ll call BS on the argument: if they can afford $4K they can afford $5.6K. That’s just dumb. Of course some can and will. But many won’t even be in the consideration set above a certain number. Stern is trying to find that number that increases the addressable market.

#1270 4 years ago

Home Star Wars pinball goes nicely with this!

5D897299-BB3E-4372-A7F4-085917360B45 (resized).jpeg5D897299-BB3E-4372-A7F4-085917360B45 (resized).jpeg
    #1271 4 years ago

My Star Wars LE is the worst pinball ever ive owned, and this is a stripped down version of that??

#1272 4 years ago
    Quoted from RETROCENGO:

My Star Wars LE is the worst pinball ever ive owned, and this is a stripped down version of that??

Holy cow lol!

From expectation to actual reality it was my biggest disappointment as a huge sw fan. I’m so glad I dodged that bullet!

#1273 4 years ago
    Quoted from kermit24:

I agree that there could be a market here..... who knows let Stern try it out.

The real problem with this was how they teased the hardcore on here by doing the hype approach which got folks like me thinking real full release. Then they did this home thing and it was frustrating bc of the previous hype. People who buy this aren't checking pinside and watching teaser videos so why do that? Just pissed people off.

If they just announced I know for me at least I would say sure go for it Stern.

#1274 4 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

The real problem with this was how they teased the hardcore on here by doing the hype approach which got folks like me thinking real full release. Then they did this home thing and it was frustrating bc of the previous hype. People who buy this aren't checking pinside and watching teaser videos so why do that? Just pissed people off.

But there’s guaranteed to be a new cornerstone game soon enough.

#1275 4 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

Totally agree regarding the marketing tactics. I was one of the first to complain about that part. Teasers are for hardcore fans, not casuals. I think Zach learned a lessen here and I don't think they will be teasing Home Editions after this.

#1276 4 years ago

I’ll take a huo used pro plz.

#1277 4 years ago

nobody running to buy this new star wars crappy home addition.
    gary said he could sell an empty cabinet with star wars on it. lets see how many of these turds sell.

#1278 4 years ago

Theory: What if the SW regular game "ran out of gas" sales-wise and this is simply to burn up the license period?

#1279 4 years ago

Weird how Stern just keeps plugging along with 3 full feature titles a year and two contract/home eds a year. It's almost like they have a business plan...that's working.

#1280 4 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Theory: What if the SW regular game "ran out of gas" sales-wise and this is simply to burn up the license period?

Could be the case. The limited editions sold out quickly if I remember correctly. Might be another way to get all the bang out of buck from the SW license.

I wonder what would have happened if they changed the name to “Home Limited Edition.” Star Wars fans love the term limited edition.

If they wanted to move some pros, get some cast members to sign the translite.

#1281 4 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Stern is double dipping on a license that they already had to milk more value out of it?!

How sinister!!!!

I’m pretty JJP built an entire company on this concept, still selling WOZ after all this time.

#1282 4 years ago
    Quoted from kermit24:

Totally agree regarding the marketing tactics. I was one of the first to complain about that part. Teasers are for hardcore fans, not casuals. I think Zach learned a lessen here and I don't think they will be teasing Home Editions after this.

I think nobody at Stern gives a flying fig that a bunch of disaffected nerds on the internet are leaving unhappy comments on Facebook and forums.

I know this is the new modern paradigm, "if I whine in public online the company will surely be forced to change their ways and cater to me". Every game company has to deal with it now. Gamers are really the worst. You can't give in to it, or you've set the precedent, it's like negotiating with terrorists.

But the sentiment being expressed here is just so laughably ridiculous. "Stern shouldn't market their new product, because it's not for us!" Listen to yourselves. I shared some pics and the stream on my Twitter feed. Some people were curious about it. Mostly we talked about how pinball fans were whining and sounded like Diablo fans throwing a tantrum when the new mobile game was announced.

I'm not saying don't post your opinion on Pinside. Go for it. But don't pretend that Stern shouldn't market their products because they're not speaking to you. That's silly. If you're looking to reach the general public you gotta market more, not less.

#1283 4 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I think nobody at Stern gives a flying fig that a bunch of disaffected nerds on the internet are leaving unhappy comments on Facebook and forums.
    I know this is the new modern paradigm, "if I whine in public online the company will surely be forced to change their ways and cater to me". Every game company has to deal with it now. Gamers are really the worst. You can't give in to it, or you've set the precedent, it's like negotiating with terrorists.
    But the sentiment being expressed here is just so laughably ridiculous. "Stern shouldn't market their new product, because it's not for us!" Listen to yourselves. I shared some pics and the stream on my Twitter feed. Some people were curious about it. Mostly we talked about how pinball fans were whining and sounded like Diablo fans throwing a tantrum when the new mobile game was announced.
    I'm not saying don't post your opinion on Pinside. Go for it. But don't pretend that Stern shouldn't market their products because they're not speaking to you. That's silly. If you're looking to reach the general public you gotta market more, not less.

I think it’s the heat.

This may be the dumbest week for pinside, ever.

And that’s like winning the Dumb Olympics.

#1284 4 years ago
    Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Home Star Wars pinball goes nicely with this![quoted image]

I’ve always wanted original dedicated SW arcade machines!
    Nice restored ones tend to be pretty expensive tho.

I remember playing them in arcades
    when they were originally released.

#1285 4 years ago

Poor judgment on my comment and am deleting it. Sorry

#1286 4 years ago
    Quoted from Orko:

My comment is meant with the upmost respect, but isn’t this what SJW are doing and why a lot of companies have changed their products and then had it backfire. I’ve seen the quote “go woke, go broke.” Wouldn’t you want to cater to customers that are going to actually buy and have bought your product? Not trying to stir the pot, but I’m actually curious.

Lmao I always love the “honestly curious” Shit stir political post that has absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand. I bet you are being serious too!

#1287 4 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

What if the SW regular game "ran out of gas" sales-wise and this is simply to burn up the license period?

Already a better plot than TLJ...wait...running out of gas was the primary driving plot factor of TLJ...

Is there serious talk about Stern releasing another game soon or is this all just speculation? I’m sure they will do three cornerstone games this year but the next release seems a couple months out to me.

I think bringing a new home edition to market is a great move by Stern, but at this price point they seek i couldn’t think of a single person I would recommend this product to. At $3,000 I think it could find a niche.

#1288 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Lmao I always love the “honestly curious” Shit stir political post. I bet you are being serious too!

Curious from a business standpoint. Why wouldn’t you want to market products to your primary buyer and listen to what they want and don’t want. That’s why I get excited for certain designers to be assigned to a game.

#1289 4 years ago
    Quoted from Orko:

Curious from a business standpoint. Why wouldn’t you want to market products to your primary buyer and listen to what they want and don’t want. That’s why I get excited for certain designers to be assigned to a game.

I’m honestly curious and serious what “SJW” and the perils of “being woke” have to do with a Star Wars pinball machine, and why you thought it was a good idea to bring that up out of thin air when it’s long established that overt political discussion will get you ejected from a thread.

I’m being serious here. And honestly curious. It’s a serious question. An honestly serious one, asked with curious intent.

#1290 4 years ago
    Quoted from Orko:

Why wouldn’t you want to market products to your primary buyer

Stern stopped marketing products to their core audience of pinball machine purchasers? Did they do that after BK SoR? Or before?

Quoted from Orko:

and listen to what they want and don’t want.

TheHomer (resized).pngTheHomer (resized).png
    #1291 4 years ago

You can never find a horn when you're mad

#1292 4 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Already a better plot than TLJ...wait...running out of gas was the primary driving plot factor of TLJ...
    Is there serious talk about Stern releasing another game soon or is this all just speculation? I’m sure they will do three cornerstone games this year but the next release seems a couple months out to me.
    I think bringing a new home edition to market is a great move by Stern, but at this price point they seek i couldn’t think of a single person I would recommend this product to. At $3,000 I think it could find a niche.

Kaneda says next week 100%. New Stern. Cornerstone.

#1293 4 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Kaneda says next week 100%. New Stern. Cornerstone

If he’s correct that would mean we have a great chance of getting four full cornerstone games in 2019...which would be freaking phenomenal. Has that ever happened before? We’ve frequently only had two or three cornerstones in a calendar year.

#1294 4 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

If he’s correct that would mean we have a great chance of getting four full cornerstone games in 2019...which would be freaking phenomenal. Has that ever happened before? We’ve frequently only have two or three cornerstones in a calendar year.

And yet we’d trade it all for ghostbusters code and no home Star Wars models

#1295 4 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Kaneda says next week 100%. New Stern. Cornerstone.

I thought he said “in the next 2-3 weeks”?

#1296 4 years ago

Next questions....

How many LE's?

And who is doing the code???

#1297 4 years ago

2500 LE’s . When it’s this special you need a lot !

#1298 4 years ago

I'm a Stern fan (I currently have 7 of them in my lineup), but I really want JJP to license the original trilogy and see what they could do with it.

#1299 4 years ago

I very rarely chime in on these types of threads but I have to say that I agree with anyone saying these are over priced for a entry level "home" game. Not sure what sterns thinking is. Now say somewhere around $2999 or even lower would attract more non collectors.

#1300 4 years ago

My Stern distributor called me on Friday to gauge my interest in a new title and if I was in a position to buy if it’s a title that interests me. He said he would send me the promotional sheets as soon as he was permitted. He didn’t know the exact title but listed the same rumors that are circulated here.

There are 1,362 posts in this topic. You are on page 26 of 28.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/next-stern-game-will-be-summer-release/page/26?hl=nintenbear and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.