Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,362 posts
  • 344 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by northvibe
  • Topic is favorited by 19 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

cat.gif
    1FC613F8-B795-423A-A26F-A1FB88000D08 (resized).jpeg
    BD3329FA-1AFB-4902-B811-8A7BBAC4D66F.jpeg
    waf (resized).jpg
    913305B7-F7CB-4A60-B13C-D013E5BD786E.jpeg
    TheHomer (resized).png
    5D897299-BB3E-4372-A7F4-085917360B45 (resized).jpeg
    A5F5013C-22C8-403D-B404-5169633335B4 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Stern hurt you (resized).jpg
    rec.gif
    200.gif
    Screenshot_20190719-062816_Twitch (resized).jpg
    B9ADD20A-6042-4EDC-8626-F4CEE83B368F (resized).jpeg
    76D5C515-06BC-4631-982F-0EB5CF763AD2 (resized).jpeg
    dq (resized).png
    There are 1,362 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 28.
    #1201 4 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Jody's sock puppet

Is that what the kids call it?

#1202 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jediturtle:

The Etsy R2 must be like the Zizzle of R2s then. My buddy is a builder and you could buy about 4 of these for how much he has into his.

Not a working droid, just a fiberglass prop. Still, falls in the same category as Han in Carbonite, or any other man cave adornment you want to put it up against. As a long time fanboy myself, there are way more interesting memorabilia out there for way cheaper. Even as a Star Wars fanboy and a pinball collector, no one has made a Star Wars machine yet that made me want it in the home, I got weak when DE put out the first one, but finacially couldnt afford it then, and have since moved on to better machines.

#1203 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Watching the Dead Flip reveal and this game is better than some of the other games that have come out recently.
    It blows Thunderbirds out of the water. Also Mafia. Beats Cosmic Carnival too.

Have you played Cosmic Carnival? Serious question.

#1204 4 years ago

Looks like a fun game and why wouldn't Stern maximize their Star Wars license? If any license will sell this game, it's Star Wars, with the LCD, movie clips and soundtrack. The ball lock is cool and moving the Tie Fighter to the right ramp makes sense.

#1205 4 years ago

This game at a $3999 street price is a winner. Watched the stream and it looks like great fun!

#1206 4 years ago

your right. they didnt have to knockit out of the park. just put out some horseshit!!!

#1207 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rockytop:

2 bad Star Wars pins weren't enough...Stern needed to finish off the trilogy.
    SW Pro, Premium/LE, and now the home version = Jar Jar Binks

same as bksor its like the godfather part 3

#1208 4 years ago

Wondering how many pinsiders are (secretly) seriously thinking about buying this game?

Of course those peeps wouldn’t dare admit it in this thread.

#1209 4 years ago
    Quoted from ausretrogamer:

Wondering how many pinsiders are (secretly) seriously thinking about buying this game?
    Of course those peeps wouldn’t dare admit it in this thread.

everyone that enjoys tossing away 1500 at minimum just for the fun of it?

#1210 4 years ago

The Facebook comments on the stern posts about this pin are brutal

#1211 4 years ago
    Quoted from captainadam_21:

The Facebook comments on the stern posts about this pin are brutal

They always are it seems. The butthurt is amazing. Clearly, they are going after a different market besides the core enthusiasts.

#1212 4 years ago
    Quoted from thirdedition:

Have you played Cosmic Carnival? Serious question.

Yes I played it at SFGE this past weekend. It's not my cup of tea. An example of one of the main issues is the scoop right up front. The rubber posts on either side of the scoop completely stop the ball from entering if it even grazes them. It makes the shot very brick-y and not fun at all, and it's the shot up front and center. I suggested potentially using metal posts on the sides to help the ball graze past them into the scoop, but up front like that they are going to take a hard beating.

Also, I dont think I heard any callouts? Granted it was loud in the gameroom so I might not have heard them well, but I can't recall hearing one, if any. The game just felt like someone thought making a game around Dirty Donny's art would be a good seller, versus designing a cool game and then getting Donny's art on it.

That said, they did ship games which is a big milestone, and I'm looking forward to seeing what they do for game #2 after learning from this one. It's still a better game than Thunderbirds, so they have that going for them.

There will be people that love Cosmic Carnival as there will be people that love this new offering from Stern.

#1213 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Also, I dont think I heard any callouts?

I watched a youtube video and I immediately noticed the same thing. There are no callouts. The LCD animations were pretty weak too. I also felt the metal soundtrack was out of place when paired with the "cosmic" sound effects. I feel like the soundtrack should have been similar to CV but more spacey and demented sounding.

#1214 4 years ago

I think stern went about the release all wrong and invited this kind of response.

What they should have done was simply say...We are going to be unveiling our latest pinball for our home pin line of products. It is Star Wars and will be ready to play at this weeks Comic-con. For the pinball enthusiast and professional players we will be announcing our latest cornerstone pinball machine the following week.

This would probably have played out a lot better, and would have been received with much less criticism.

#1215 4 years ago
    Quoted from Goronic:

I think stern went about the release all wrong and invited this kind of response.
    What they should have done was simply say...We are going to be unveiling our latest pinball for our home pin line of products. It is Star Wars and will be ready to play at this weeks Comic-con. For the pinball enthusiast and professional players we will be announcing our latest cornerstone pinball machine the following week.
    This would probably played out a lot better, and would have been received with much less criticism.

It seems so simple to actually have respect for your customer base, but that no longer seems to be the MO of stern marketing and PR.

I kind of joked about it, but the reality is they have a few guys in those roles with enormous egos. They talk to customers with the same egos they carry in real life. It is not a good PR perception when you customers are largely the nerdy outcasts already. They likely view it as an innocent "punking" when they are the ones that actually come off just looking silly over the whole thing.

We have seen time and time again that us pinheads like to have a foundation of good relationships and even be friendly with the people designing and making the machines. There is a good reason people give more back to companies like JJP and Spooky when they have an issue. Not only do they usually get it fixed, they treat the customers well/ like humans along with it.

#1216 4 years ago

I can see why people don't like Kaneda now. He was whining about this game on his Facebook a few days ago, then he deleted his comment and was trashing "pinside babies" that don't like the game on his podcast this morning.

#1217 4 years ago

I watched some of the stream of this Star Wars Home Pin and there are few things that are actually quite nice.
    1) The UI is simple to understand
    2) The rules are modified and are much simpler
    3) There are 4 multiballs and it appears the same difficulty of Munsters
    4) The playfield design is modified, the playfield is modified (there are extra lights) and the game had decent flow/action
    5) The videos are presented more frequently and slightly different that the commercial game, but they are displayed nicely

Now of course the game is loaded with other caveats like high price, smaller cabinet, smaller LCD, bumpers/slings that fire at the same time, fake coin door, etc but its definately the best "The Pin" released yet. It also appears to be code updatable which is different from past "The pin" offerings.

George Gomez and the programmer (sorry forget his name) did a good job. Its not for the pinball enthusiasts as was mentioned ad-nauseum, but I could see this going into a neebies basement.

#1218 4 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Stern like any company has finite time and resources.
    I think people are upset because they spent resources making a "machine for no one" instead of finishing code for existing games or putting more effort into new ones.
    I'm sure they have a pretty good margin on this but even if they sold it for zero profit it still wouldn't be cheap enough to be a mass market item.

Stern has numerous production teams and production lines. Kind of surprised you don't realize this - it's why they can put out three "cornerstone" games in 2019 along with a SW home version. During the same period, the rest of the pinball companies will put out 0-1 machine.

I remember the hilarious "Primus is gonna delay the game I ordered!!!" meltdown. Primus was on and off the line in ONE DAY.
    Tons of code updates this year too. You are really suggesting that SW home took valuable resources away and bogged down the most productive company in pinball? Is there anybody else who produced even 25 percent what Stern did in 2019?

This isn't Jpop tinkering around in a warehouse for 3 years. This isn't somebody making a home brew in their garage and getting distracted by a visit from the in-laws. This is an actual company that can juggle production, R&D, numerous projects...you know, a real functioning company. Maybe one day there will be more than one of those in pinball and people will gain a little perspective.

#1219 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Stern has numerous production teams and production lines. Kind of surprised you don't realize this. I remember the hilarious "Primus is gonna delay the game I ordered!!!" meltdown. Primus was on and off the line in ONE DAY.

absolutely, SW Home is just another additional product. a new cornerstone is around the corner. i think everybody should relax, remember Keith's 2 weeks post and wait for a few more days!

#1220 4 years ago
    Quoted from Ben1981:

absolutely, SW Home is just another additional product. a new cornerstone is around the corner. i think everybody should relax, remember Keith's 2 weeks post and wait for a few more days!

I think Keith just has a boner for "two weeks" cause Total Recall is awesome. I say "two weeks" about every 2 days along with whatever random Robocop quote comes into my mind.

#1221 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I think Keith just has a boner for "two weeks" cause Total Recall is awesome. I say "two weeks" about every 2 days along with whatever random Robocop quote comes into my mind.

I always thought it was him trolling the Heighway quote?

#1222 4 years ago

Stern could have made a Tron Vault but instead we get a Star Wars Home Edition.. Geez...

#1223 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I can't imagine he'd give two shits about that. That's dumb podcast stuff.

rec.gifrec.gif
    #1224 4 years ago

I'd pull out my wallet so fast for a TRON '82 vault it would cause back pain.

#1225 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Guess we'll know next week, i'm optimistic

#1226 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I can't imagine he'd give two shits about that.

well.

Total Recall would be a great pin!

#1227 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Likely referencing Kaneda who referenced Total Recall to troll Heighway.

#1228 4 years ago

It's 4X too much for normies.

It might work at 1k but then you'd have to build in China. Then you have the issue of product size. It's not a flat pack like 1up. Think of the volume this box takes up, just for a 1k item. You could fit 50k of phones or laptops in that same volume. This is an issue for shipping as well as retail.

Consumer grade price, made in America, high quality.... pick 2.

#1229 4 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

It might work at 1k but then you'd have to build in China. Then you have the issue of product size. It's not a flat pack like 1up. Think of the volume this box takes up, just for a 1k item. You could fit 50k of phones or laptops in that same volume. This is an issue for shipping as well as retail.

I don't think anyone is seriously targeting the mass market with games like this. It's all about giving distributor showrooms a range of price points. Here are the used games for $3-6k, and here are the brand new games with a factory warranty for $4-9k. If people want to argue that Stern is seriously concerned with all of their competitors, then this is the cutthroat move to dominate the low to medium end of the NIB market.

It would be interesting if Stern could get a home game into a flat pack though. The cabinet and head could certainly be Ikea furniture. The playfield could be fully populated and just require a few single connectors. Like you said, the shipping and handling is a huge factor in the price. I wonder if you could fit two Ikea Sterns onto a pallet the same size as a normal NIB.

#1230 4 years ago

I'm sure Deeproot can do it

#1231 4 years ago

All Stern had to do was to say (before announcement) that this was NOT gonna be a "cornerstone game announcement" and I think they would have avoided a LOT of this hate. I think many people feel "fooled" because Stern was making this sound like it was a cornerstone game announcement. A couple of words could have avoided all this negativity, Stern.

#1232 4 years ago
    Quoted from BeeGeeMtl:

All Stern had to do was to say (before announcement) that this was NOT gonna be a "cornerstone game announcement" and I think they would have avoided a LOT of this hate. I think many people feel "fooled" because Stern was making this sound like it was a cornerstone game announcement. A couple of words could have avoided all this negativity, Stern.

Their actions were very intentional.

It is how they roll now.

#1233 4 years ago

I highly doubt Stern was trying to take personal shots at guys that are most likely to buy their cornerstone games.
    They have a new low end (but still expensive) product and they tried to pump it up a little. I don't think it's going to work either, but no harm done.

#1234 4 years ago

I think if they're going for low end they should have gone like a tabletop mini pin or something at a much lower price.

#1235 4 years ago
    Quoted from BeeGeeMtl:

I hope they pay Jack Danger well to deal with the brunt of the criticism, even though he has little to do with these kinds of decisions. Lots of upset people blowing up his streaming hustle.

Also Stern is in a lose-lose. They issued a boilerplate PR announcement. What are they supposed to announce, "hey we have something exciting to show...well it's not that exciting for our core customers, but you should still come visit us!"

#1236 4 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

I hope they pay Jack Danger well to deal with the brunt of the criticism, even though he has little to do with these kinds of decisions. Lots of upset people blowing up his streaming hustle.
    Also Stern is in a lose-lose. They issued a boilerplate PR announcement. What are they supposed to announce, "hey we have something exciting to show...well it's not that exciting for our core customers, but you should still come visit us!"

How about "We have an exciting new addition to our home pin line of products that we plan to premiere at SD Comic Con!"

#1237 4 years ago
    Quoted from Honch:

I highly doubt Stern was trying to take personal shots at guys that are most likely to buy their cornerstone games.
    They have a new low end (but still expensive) product and they tried to pump it up a little. I don't think it's going to work either, but no harm done.

I am pretty sure that Stern is very comfortable with the troll roll.

This is kind of that new era of marketing style where it is cool to F with your customer base. Problem is that Stern comes off kind of prickish rather than "ha ha we got you" since they dont really engage with customers outside of these things.

Also, it really seems like they think any press is good press, when reality is the opposite in todays world.

The hard reality is that Stern trolls their customer base, continues to cheapen products, has recently gone radio silent on the many QC issues they are having (including no longer replacing parts that are defective within warranty? I hope this gets fixed ASAP), and steadily charges more for less.

It seems like everytime they make strides in one spot (hey look... sweet code update for a 2 year old game) they F up on the flip side (shit marketing PR and more and more defective pfs going out).

#1238 4 years ago

Stern has been trolling customers for years. Just this month they finally gave people hope for a GB code update after 30 months and then revealed a GOT code update out of nowhere as if to dump salt in the wounds of GB owners.

#1239 4 years ago
    Quoted from Raegor:

How about "We have an exciting new addition to our home pin line of products that we plan to premiere at SD Comic Con!"

I get your point, but that's not feasible for them. They are producing a $4k pinball machine for a target market that doesn't regularly buy them. They need to generate real excitement, not just use the word in a press release. And if anyone says there isn't any excitement surrounding this game, I say 1240 posts in a relatively short time (in just one forum thread) would indicate otherwise.

Stern needs people talking about their machines, and they have that. Sure, rave reviews are better, but silence is death.

#1240 4 years ago
    Stern hurt you (resized).jpgStern hurt you (resized).jpg
    #1241 4 years ago
    Quoted from Stones:

[quoted image]

FTW!! Perfection in a single post!

#1242 4 years ago

Hilton, I love ya buddy, but you really need to dial it back a bit on the over-the-top reactions to every little thing. Pinball is fun and all but your blood pressure will thank you if you relax more.

#1243 4 years ago
    Quoted from sethi_i:

I get your point, but that's not feasible for them. They are producing a $4k pinball machine for a target market that doesn't regularly buy them. They need to generate real excitement, not just use the word in a press release. And if anyone says there isn't any excitement surrounding this game, I say 1240 posts in a relatively short time (in just one forum thread) would indicate otherwise.
    Stern needs people talking about their machines, and they have that. Sure, rave reviews are better, but silence is death.

Your definition of excitement must be my definition of letdown. Oh well, tomAto, tomato....

#1244 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tilt:

[quoted image]

Will Stern now have Home Version Pro, Premium, and Limited Editions. ?

#1245 4 years ago
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #1246 4 years ago

Stern's marketing just continues to be a joke. It's astonishing how amateurish they are in this regard for being the size of company they are. Best thing they have done in general in recent years is get Jack to go around streaming events and new releases, and i'm sure it really works out in Stern's favor to contract him out whenever they need.. but that's about it. The way they go about rolling out new products is so baffling.

.. as far as the trolling thing, they would block people left and right on their social media; I assume they still do? Hell I've been banned for years, and I wasn't even being a dick about anything.

#1247 4 years ago
    Quoted from Raegor:

Your definition of excitement must be my definition of letdown. Oh well, tomAto, tomato....

I wasn't using it in terms of enthusiasm, but as a description of energy level. Excitement doesn't mean a positive reaction. It just means a strong one. Look at this post...

Quoted from Whysnow:

I am pretty sure that Stern is very comfortable with the troll roll.

This is kind of that new era of marketing style where it is cool to F with your customer base. Problem is that Stern comes off kind of prickish rather than "ha ha we got you" since they dont really engage with customers outside of these things.

Also, it really seems like they think any press is good press, when reality is the opposite in todays world.

The hard reality is that Stern trolls their customer base, continues to cheapen products, has recently gone radio silent on the many QC issues they are having (including no longer replacing parts that are defective within warranty? I hope this gets fixed ASAP), and steadily charges more for less.

It seems like everytime they make strides in one spot (hey look... sweet code update for a 2 year old game) they F up on the flip side (shit marketing PR and more and more defective pfs going out).

...it's certainly not positive, but it's definitely excited.

#1248 4 years ago

Speaking of disappointments....

Star Wars makes perfect sense as a theme for another go around at a home game product. It has multi-generational appeal and they just worked with Disney on a Star Wars game. They already sorta know how Spiderman Home and the general comic book theme sells. So if they did another home game and it was within the realm of things they recently licensed, what is the most appealing? In other words, just how livid would people have been if they showed off Ghostbusters Home Edition yesterday That'd be marriage of the GoT code update and Star Wars Home edition trolls into the ultimate shit show.

#1249 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Their actions were very intentional.
    It is how they roll now.

I'm gonna paraphrase the exec who greenlighted New Coke...which was a disaster that resulted in the huge success of Coke Classic, leading people to believe it was all a troll...

"We aren't that smart, and we aren't that stupid."

The way you guys talk, Stern is run by a bunch of super evil genius Bond Villains. It's pretty hilarious.

#1250 4 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

I don't think we will ever know for sure but I think Stern will sell more of these than they even planned. I think it's already a win for them if you pay attention to some of the dialog going on on Facebook, etc..

There are 1,362 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 28.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/next-stern-game-will-be-summer-release/page/25?hl=raegor and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.