Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,362 posts
  • 344 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by northvibe
  • Topic is favorited by 19 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

cat.gif
    1FC613F8-B795-423A-A26F-A1FB88000D08 (resized).jpeg
    BD3329FA-1AFB-4902-B811-8A7BBAC4D66F.jpeg
    waf (resized).jpg
    913305B7-F7CB-4A60-B13C-D013E5BD786E.jpeg
    TheHomer (resized).png
    5D897299-BB3E-4372-A7F4-085917360B45 (resized).jpeg
    A5F5013C-22C8-403D-B404-5169633335B4 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Stern hurt you (resized).jpg
    rec.gif
    200.gif
    Screenshot_20190719-062816_Twitch (resized).jpg
    B9ADD20A-6042-4EDC-8626-F4CEE83B368F (resized).jpeg
    76D5C515-06BC-4631-982F-0EB5CF763AD2 (resized).jpeg
    dq (resized).png

There are 1,362 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 28.
    #1001 4 years ago
    Quoted from soren:

Premiere at ReplayFx, maybe? Sort of fits the 2 weeks meme.

Its the prize for the womans tournament..... So yeah it HAS to be ready and shown by then

#1002 4 years ago
    Quoted from FalconPunch:

Its the prize for the womans tournament..... So yeah it HAS to be ready and shown by then

IOU from a distro or Stern? Drop shipped after the show? Would love to see a new (fully featured) game at ReplayFX however.

#1003 4 years ago

How did those iron man home editions sell? I've only seen like maybe one or two for sale

#1004 4 years ago
    Quoted from fisherdaman:

I agree that people who shop at Costco tend to be wealthier than the average Walmart shopper, but they also tend to be thrifty and or budgetary don't you think? Just because they have more money doesn't mean they aren't going there to save money. I'd also like to see how many Costco stores actually get these, Costco knows their audience and I'm willing to bet that these wont be at every store.[quoted image]

Well the average Wal-Mart customer has an annual income of $56,482 so the difference is huge. Costco customers are thrifty and budgetary but not due to financial limitations, they spend on other things (vacations, entertainment, etc) which was what I was trying to point out. Some of the cheapest people I know also drive the nicest cars, its just how they spend their money that counts.

Anyways, I too would be curious as to how/if these are sold in physical locations and how they are received. That may be what I am most interested in out of this whole thing.

#1005 4 years ago

Stern’s margins on this must be great - same art and toys as pro, rehashed layout. I can’t imagine them not making a profit if this game was 3k.

#1006 4 years ago

Very anticlimactic, but theres still the reveal of the C8 Corvette to look forward to today.

#1007 4 years ago
    Quoted from Honch:

Very anticlimactic, but theres still the reveal of the C8 Corvette to look forward to today.

GM ruined that too! SMH

#1008 4 years ago
    Quoted from scruffypinball:

Agreed.
    However, I think people are more frustrated with the perceived “hype head fake” if nothing else is announced. If the target demographic isn’t current enthusiasts, why make an announcement to people who aren’t listening (ie the “sw he market”) 4 days early? Why not just do a show reveal?

This

#1009 4 years ago

What I find interesting is I am a Stern Insider member, and so far they have emailed nothing.

#1010 4 years ago
    Quoted from Coz:

It’s pretty simple. This home edition is obviously not created nor intended for the “pinside crowd”. These new machines are targeting a totally different segment of potential buyers - if they can help spread pinball and increase exposure with mainstream media it’s a win. Maybe it will lead some new people to pinball and perhaps later become collectors or operators.

I'm all for this but don't hype this garbage like it's a full release. That's my only problem with it IF IF IF they don't show Jurrasic. The people they're targeting for home aren't getting hyped on pinside by stern's hype videos. Then why get those people hyped and then release this hot garbage? That's the rub.

All is VERY good if they release another full blown game. Just don't do us dirty by hyping then coming with just home pin SW.

#1011 4 years ago

I didn't think that any of the other Stern home editions did well, I must be wrong?

#1012 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

took literally 5 seconds to find 1
    https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/81874
    others that were sold for 4700 in the past month
    here is one with shaker for 4700
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-star-wars-pro-w-shaker#post-4975290
    4800 loaded. pretty sure it sold for 4700 also
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-or-trade-star-wars-pro-2
    4700 is a pretty well established asking for a nice low play Swpro currently

Right, doesn't this completely contradict your claim that "HUO SW pros = sitting unsold for 4700" when two of your examples sold at the price and the one that is still available is not HUO as it is on location? Or am I missing something?

#1013 4 years ago

I think these home machines have an opportunity to sell at upscale stores like Hammacher Schlemmer, or your local game room store. Put the items side by side: Star Wars Home at $4000, GOTG at $6000, Deadpool Premium at $7500. That Star Wars is going to look pretty good to an uninformed consumer just giving a test run: looks like pinball, plays like pinball, costs $2000 less because it doesn't have a coin slot and has a smaller screen.

I was hoping to see a flagship release also, but attempting to expand the pinball market to casual gameroom outfitters isn't a bad thing. Putting out a home edition every 3-4 years (not counting supreme) isn't hurting Stern's commercial machine production, and the ubiquity and visibility of pinball has changed since their last home pin (many new location pins since 2016, imo)

#1014 4 years ago
    Quoted from Matesamo:

Right, doesn't this completely contradict your claim that "HUO SW pros = sitting unsold for 4700" when two of your examples sold at the price and the one that is still available is not HUO as it is on location? Or am I missing something?

I am not going to go look for more to prove the point. Took 3 minutes to show you that they are easy for find at that price.

used SWpro is a 4700 dollar game.
    Go buy a damn home edition for 4k.

#1015 4 years ago
    Quoted from misterschu:

I think these home machines have an opportunity to sell at upscale stores like Hammacher Schlemmer, or your local game room store. Put the items side by side: Star Wars Home at $4000, GOTG at $6000, Deadpool Premium at $7500. That Star Wars is going to look pretty good to an uninformed consumer just giving a test run: looks like pinball, plays like pinball, costs $2000 less because it doesn't have a coin slot and has a smaller screen.

I cannot tell you how many times I have mentioned playing in a pinball tournament to someone at work and they have no idea that there is any skill involved, they think its just chance.

It's not like Stern hasn't put out a game in two years and then announced this, they are putting out games faster than ever and it doesn't look like they are slowing down anytime soon. If they can get side projects like this going and keep their employees and lines working between major releases, so be it. Not sure why people take a Stern product they are not interested in (Beatles theme? Insider Club? Autographed sword? Home editions) so personally.

#1016 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I am not going to go look for more to prove the point. Took 3 minutes to show you that they are easy for find at that price.
    used SWpro is a 4700 dollar game.
    Go buy a damn home edition for 4k you twit.

All right dude, relax a bit. Breath. There you go. Exhale.

I'm just trying to figure out how showing multiple Star Wars Pro's selling for $4700 supports your claim that HUO Star Wars Pros are sitting unsold for $4700.

#1017 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Go buy a damn home edition for 4k you twit.

Good lord, there's no need to be an ass because you're mad about this. Grow up.

This thread is full of the most childish whining, it's really ridiculous. This idea that this could be a gateway pin for new people to get into the hobby? If I was that person and googled my game to dig in deeper and found this thread? I'd run the other way, who'd want to be part of such a community of sour asses? That clearly think I'm a moron for buying it.

It's not for you. Stern didn't hype it up, you did that in your own head.

There is an audience for buying a new in box product, easily, from a dealer, with a warranty, instead of hunting down a used game. This is not a particularly complicated concept. Buying a used pin as a noob with no experience is a stressful concept for many people. There are members of this website with 20 games in their collection who are incapable of fixing a damn thing on them, this shouldn't be hard to grasp. Cannot take off the glass and adjust a sling switch gap. Because I've done it for them.

Maybe it will fail as a product. I really don't care, I don't have any emotional investment in Stern's successes and failures. But it's certainly not hard to understand why they're trying it, in this world of constantly spiking prices that people have become so accustomed to. Think outside your own head for 30 seconds.

#1018 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

That's very much a rehash of the Arcade1up vs real cabinets argument.
    I do believe there are enough people who would rather purchase a new star wars home game than deal with a 30 year old game. I'm guessing Stern does too. Like I think Aurich mentioned, they are even improving the design of the home pin with every iteration.
    It's still not the game for me, but that doesn't mean it's a terrible idea.

Yes, this exactly! Price will be 100% the determining factor. Priced low enough, these will end up in gamerooms next to the foosball and air hockey tables purchased at $big_box_company. People in that market would not even think - nor know where - to buy a multi-decades old game.

I also agree that we'll see the same cycle as with the Arcade1Ups where you'll see these on CL and FB Marketplace within 6-9 months at half the cost... or some idiots who mod the things and want to charge 4x the cost

#1019 4 years ago
    Quoted from cjchand:

you'll see these on CL and FB Marketplace within 6-9 months at half the cost...

If I can find one for half price in 9 months, I am all in!

#1020 4 years ago
    Quoted from Matesamo:

All right dude, relax a bit. Breath. There you go. Exhale.
    I'm just trying to figure out how showing multiple Star Wars Pro's selling for $4700 supports your claim that HUO Star Wars Pros are sitting unsold for $4700.

completely relaxed

Does not change that you are incapable of understanding that those now sold examples took more than a day to sell and there are other HUO examples at the same price sitting available right now.

Anyone selling a CBW for almost 2k, can afford to go buy the full PRO version of SW for 4700. No need for you to fret so much over the $700

#1021 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

SW home edition = 4000
    HUO SW pros = sitting unsold for 4700

Where, at some distributor who might have a showroom in an industrial park outside of town who probably doesn't even have a website?

How is a NORMAL PERSON supposed to know a Star Wars Pro even EXISTS and can be bought by someone who isn't a professional operator? It's industrial equipment to everyone else but us idiots.

This will be available in stores.

#1022 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball-Wiz:

I didn't think that any of the other Stern home editions did well, I must be wrong?

It's all relative. From our point of view, it doesn't seem like the other home eds sold well because we don't see them at the places we play pinball.

From Stern's point of view, the other home eds must have made enough money to continue doing it. And maybe the profit margins are higher on these, so they don't need to sell as many to make money (?)

#1023 4 years ago

Wonder if we will see this at Sams, Costco, and Walmart. Soon there will be a stern 1up machine that you can buy an asssemble for 200 bucks

#1024 4 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

How is a NORMAL PERSON supposed to know a Star Wars

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=star+wars+pinball+machine&s=g

#1025 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

completely relaxed
    Does not change that you are incapable of understanding that those now sold examples took more than a day to sell and there are other HUO examples at the same price sitting available right now.
    Anyone selling a CBW for almost 2k, can afford to go buy the full PRO version of SW for 4700. No need for you to fret so much over the $700

Ok, I think you are just having a laugh at this point so I am shaking it off and moving on. Thanks for reminding me to end my for sale ad, pinside donation made!

#1026 4 years ago

I'm guessing these are going to show up in the sky mall catalogs on airplanes and whatnot. Pinside, you aren't the target market...you need to get over that. Stern is smart to Branch out into this segment, because it's going to feed more people into their higher end products if they like this home machine. These are going to be completely new crop customers, and can potentially yield sustainable growth down the road. This is what you have to do when investors own your company and demand growth in their investment year after year. Why am I one of the only ones seeing this point of view?

#1027 4 years ago

I think if Stern can somehow do almost a customized pinball where you can customize the playfield theme / graphics on their website having a completely mostly unique game. So say you had a dream theme [insert title here] that you know likely won't ever get made, some favorite band, or movie etc. They would give you say 3 playfield layout choices, upgraded various options / features on the site as you order & customize.

#1028 4 years ago

These won’t move at $4,000.
    That is a tremendous amount of money for most families.

#1029 4 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

People saying “why not just buy a WMS game” have clearly been living inside the hobby bubble too long.
    Regular people HAVE NO IDEA used pinball machines exists or that you can buy commercial arcade games for the home. One of the most common things I get when people visit and see the pins is “Wow, where did you get those?! You can own arcade games?!”
    You can’t buy a Pinbot at Walmart. It takes actual effort to buy an old machine. First it needs to even occur to them to think they might want one.
    This helps with that. This is the gateway game. And from the looks of it, it’s a huge improvement in home games.

Many people here just can’t get the point that the average consumer will buy a new over priced product before going through the hassle of finding a used one no matter how much they can save. It’s the same people that jump in the remake threads with the same statements.

#1030 4 years ago

Sure, cute. But how do they know to put those search terms together? And what would prompt them to search for pinball machines in the first place?

Literally, almost every single non-pinhead I've had over was completely and totally surprised that you are "allowed" to own pinball machines as a private citizen.

#1031 4 years ago
    Quoted from mrclean:

I think if Stern can somehow do almost a customized pinball where you can customize the playfield theme / graphics on their website having a completely mostly unique game. So say you had a dream theme [insert title here] that you know likely won't ever get made, some favorite band, or movie etc. They would give you say 3 playfield layout choices, upgraded various options / features on the site as you order & customize.

It will happen eventually. Click on the "Music" category, select one of the three layouts (each has a music themed toy of an instrument) click on the band you want featured from a drop down list of licensed bands and click order. Sure they don't need 3,000 Rancid machines but if you could order on demand and choose from Rancid, X, Suicidal Tendencies, Pennywise, Interrupters, Offspring, Germs, Dead Kennedy's, Misfits or some other band...

#1032 4 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Sure, cute. But how do they know to put those search terms together? And what would prompt them to search for pinball machines in the first place?
    Literally, almost every single non-pinhead I've had over was completely and totally surprised that you are "allowed" to own pinball machines as a private citizen.

pretty much every single pinhead I know started their journey into pinball with a hunt to own an actual specific pinball machine. No matter what era is was, they searched the resources and found a game. The thrifty nickel paper, craigslist, ebay, or google. The medium changes but by and larger EVERY person I have ever met bought a pinball because they were seeking it out. Often a specific game/ theme.

The one and only time frame I know of people 'stumbling' into a pin is when the actual cheapy home editions were made in the 80s. Granted those were 25-30% the cost of a commercial version. I had a great aunt with one of those. She splurged on it for $500 bucks, but she even knew that commercial games were 2000 back then.

This home edition junk is a great idea in theory, but the reality is that the price point being 70% of what it costs to get a real pinball machine costs, is the fail.

EVERYONE thinking of buying a big ass game, has the internet in their pocket and will do a little google search to get some level of education before making a 4k purchase for a toy.

#1033 4 years ago

Why are there so many people acting like pinball is some elusive mystery to non pinheads. December 2017 I had never owned a pin and probably only played xmen at the local theatre in the last 20 years. I knew VERY little about pinball machine. When I decided I wanted a pinball machine I just went on my phone. One month of watching YouTube videos and kijiji listings and I bought my first pin in January 2018. Everything is out there on the internet for everyone now.

#1034 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

These won’t move at $4,000.
    That is a tremendous amount of money for most families.

Exactly. 1up Arcade found the price ceiling for these sort of purchases and even then sounds like they collect dust in weaker stores.

And yes I agree with Hilton the demographic of "really well off people who don't know how to use the internet" is probably zero if you exclude celebrities.

#1035 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

This home edition junk is a great idea in theory, but the reality is that the price point being 70% of what it costs to get a real pinball machine costs, is the fail.
    EVERYONE thinking of buying a big ass game, has the internet in their pocket and will do a little google search to get some level of education before making a 4k purchase for a toy.

I think this is the big problem. Why would anyone buy this for $4000 when you could get a WMS/Bally or used Stern pro for the same price. The price point should be around $2500 for this.

#1036 4 years ago

I have no issue with Stern trying to expand into the home market. I just find it laughable that they try it with Star Wars now. The brand is at an all time low even hardcore movie goes are kinda done with it. My wife and daughter just came back from Disney land and found the new area surprisingly not that busy. Not at all what they expected it to be, they thought the people were more Disney fans and checking it out because its new. Also my daughter came back stoked for Stark Industries, that seemed to be what everyone was talking about, with very little excitement for Star Wars.

The whole 1up comparison to me is laughable with 1Up you get multiple classic retro proven titles with all the nostalgia and emotion. Sure they a little gimmicky with the controls for the hard core arcade fans. The general population they are sweet and an entirely different price point. This would have to be a true classic pin mini with all the functionality of the original for $1000 to be even close.

#1037 4 years ago
    Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Why are there so many people acting like pinball is some elusive mystery to non pinheads. December 2017 I had never owned a pin and probably only played xmen at the local theatre in the last 20 years. I knew VERY little about pinball machine. When I decided I wanted a pinball machine I just went on my phone. One month of watching YouTube videos and kijiji listings and I bought my first pin in January 2018. Everything is out there on the internet for everyone now.

Let's be honest... The Home Edition might as well be called the Sucker Edition.

#1038 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

EVERY person I have ever met bought a pinball because they were seeking it out

You're forgetting "rec room buyers" - guys who go to the pool table/dart board store to outfit their new "mancave" at the mcmansion they just had built and they see pinball there and buy one. I know one of those directly, and I'm sure there are decent number of them.

#1039 4 years ago

Just curious, does anyone know how much these things weigh?

#1040 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I agree...exactly what I said when the last "home edition" came out.

Over the years, I've gotten calls from folks asking for help with buying a new machine. Folks that had 0 interest in ever becoming one of "us" (i.e. collectors, fanatics, whatever). In all instances, these were folks with $$ (typically colleagues). I have friends/family members with more modest income/portfolios and they would never consider purchasing a game for thousands of dollars.

If the home edition is more reliable (and lighter) than commercial quality pins, it would be a nice complement to the 30% price reduction.

In any event, doesn't effect me, so I don't really care. Just interesting to know what resurrected the concept (since it's been awhile since the last iteration).

#1041 4 years ago
    Quoted from valgalder:

Just curious, does anyone know how much these things weigh?

I would guess 145.

#1042 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

and full featured, coded games, with parts availability, and they play like an actual pinball machine instead of a fischer price toy in a full box.
    Compare some of those great 90s games for 2500-3500 to this 2019 turd in a box for 4k... Every person with even an iota of sense will pick the classic for less.

those "great" 90's games are going for 3500-4500 now... just look at even blackrose or sys11 prices...those prices we collectors love, are dead and gone.

#1043 4 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Where, at some distributor who might have a showroom in an industrial park outside of town who probably doesn't even have a website?
    How is a NORMAL PERSON supposed to know a Star Wars Pro even EXISTS and can be bought by someone who isn't a professional operator? It's industrial equipment to everyone else but us idiots.
    This will be available in stores.

AND if you google to buy a pinball. YOU WILL PAY MSRP or damn close to it.

google:
    buy star wars pinball
    https://www.thepinballcompany.com/product/star-wars-pro-pinball-machine-stern/

https://www.amazon.com/Stern-Pinball-Star-Arcade-Machine/dp/B078CB85HS

So just "using" the internet...doesn't fully help unless you know exactly and make phone calls. Also per the distributor network and what everyone who buys games new should know. The more you buy the bigger discount a distrib may give you...so this whole LMGTFY is ridiculous.

#1044 4 years ago

Usually older pins cost a tiny bit more up here because you guys had more down there when they were new. That being said I can get a pinbot, swords of fury, or a high speed all for around and under 3k (cdn)(each obviously)
    How about a World Cup or The Getaway for about 4k (cdn)?
    But yeah, an almost 5k (cdn) home edition seems like the better bargain. Hell you can probably find a slightly rough Shadow for that price. (Shadow is easily the most popular game I've owned with my non pinball friends)
    Heading home now. Hopefully this announcement will be more than just the SWHE. I get the demographic for the game but I just think it's really small. Too small to warrant this build up. Fingers crossed.

#1045 4 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

those "great" 90's games are going for 3500-4500 now... just look at even blackrose or sys11 prices...those prices we collectors love, are dead and gone.

Got a project (but really clean on the mechs?) Joker Poker for sale for 700 bucks.... WITH the Pascal board that's like what...300+ shipping?

#1046 4 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

AND if you google to buy a pinball. YOU WILL PAY MSRP or damn close to it.
    google:
    buy star wars pinball
    https://www.thepinballcompany.com/product/star-wars-pro-pinball-machine-stern/
    amazon.com link »
    So just "using" the internet...doesn't fully help unless you know exactly and make phone calls. Also per the distributor network and what everyone who buys games new should know. The more you buy the bigger discount a distrib may give you...so this whole LMGTFY is ridiculous.

Again, as someone who know nothing about pinball 18mo ago. It IS that easy. Follow kijiji listings. YouTube the games that pop up in your price range. If it looks fun, go for it. Easy peasy

#1047 4 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

I'm sure they passed that link for the scheduled video to various media outlets. Pinside's general inability to see the bigger picture sure is amusing.

They posted a YouTube update on their channel. You’re being disingenuous to seem cool. But that’s fine.

#1048 4 years ago

Holy crap, over 1000 posts about this release? Yet, I don't care at all one way or the other. I guess I feel left out having no opinion on something I'm not even interested in buying.

#1049 4 years ago

I’m just amazed they found a way to make Star Wars feel even cheaper.

#1050 4 years ago

I think the SW pic is a hoax because I assume every related employee has signed a NDA.
    We will know in half an hour.

There are 1,362 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 28.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/next-stern-game-will-be-summer-release/page/21?hl=thunderbird and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.