Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,362 posts
  • 344 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by northvibe
  • Topic is favorited by 19 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

cat.gif
    1FC613F8-B795-423A-A26F-A1FB88000D08 (resized).jpeg
    BD3329FA-1AFB-4902-B811-8A7BBAC4D66F.jpeg
    waf (resized).jpg
    913305B7-F7CB-4A60-B13C-D013E5BD786E.jpeg
    TheHomer (resized).png
    5D897299-BB3E-4372-A7F4-085917360B45 (resized).jpeg
    A5F5013C-22C8-403D-B404-5169633335B4 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Stern hurt you (resized).jpg
    rec.gif
    200.gif
    Screenshot_20190719-062816_Twitch (resized).jpg
    B9ADD20A-6042-4EDC-8626-F4CEE83B368F (resized).jpeg
    76D5C515-06BC-4631-982F-0EB5CF763AD2 (resized).jpeg
    dq (resized).png
    There are 1,362 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 28.
    #951 4 years ago
    Quoted from JoshPA:

As long as these sell for $999 I think it's great. They are going to be $999... right?

Not gonna happen. These are in the high 3k range. Maybe more due to Star Wars license. BTW, why didnt this title have Disney branding?

#952 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Every person with even an iota of sense will pick the classic for less.

I agree this pin is not for me either, but there is a group of folks that would buy this at Costco on a whim. They will never change the rubbers, lift the playfield, or open the coin door. This will go in the game room as mostly a decoration, get a few hundred plays in the first few months and then occasionally be turned on when the kids friends come over.

#953 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

That's very much a rehash of the Arcade1up vs real cabinets argument.
    I do believe there are enough people who would rather purchase a new star wars home game than deal with a 30 year old game. I'm guessing Stern does too. Like I think Aurich mentioned, they are even improving the design of the home pin with every iteration.
    It's still not the game for me, but that doesn't mean it's a terrible idea.

It’s pretty simple. This home edition is obviously not created nor intended for the “pinside crowd”. These new machines are targeting a totally different segment of potential buyers - if they can help spread pinball and increase exposure with mainstream media it’s a win. Maybe it will lead some new people to pinball and perhaps later become collectors or operators.

#954 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jasontaps:

Not gonna happen. These are in the high 3k range. Maybe more do to Star Wars license. BTW, why didnt this title have Disney branding?

Disney branding? I have never seen Star Wars merch with Disney branding. I am sure Lucasfilm is listed somewhere on it. Parent company Disney is usually never on the product.

#955 4 years ago
    Quoted from Coz:

It’s pretty simple. This home edition is obviously not created nor intended for the “pinside crowd”. These new machines are targeting a totally different segment of potential buyers - if they can help spread pinball and increase exposure with mainstream media it’s a win. Maybe it will lead some new people to pinball and perhaps later become collectors or operators.

Agreed.

However, I think people are more frustrated with the perceived “hype head fake” if nothing else is announced. If the target demographic isn’t current enthusiasts, why make an announcement to people who aren’t listening (ie the “sw he market”) 4 days early? Why not just do a show reveal?

#956 4 years ago
    Quoted from pickleric:

I agree this pin is not for me either, but there is a group of folks that would buy this at Costco on a whim. They will never change the rubbers, lift the playfield, or open the coin door. This will go in the game room as mostly a decoration, get a few hundred plays in the first few months and then occasionally be turned on when the kids friends come over.

While I will agree with you that they will sell some to the "at whim" customer, but when you get into pricing above a grand customers tend to do research and check outside market places like craigslist or Facebook market place for deals. I want to be as positive as everyone else here and think that somehow these are going to fly off the shelves at basically 4k after taxes and help grow our hobby, but I think some of you are overestimating the American consumer.

#957 4 years ago
    Quoted from scruffypinball:

Agreed.
    However, I think people are more frustrated with the perceived “hype head fake” if nothing else is announced. If the target demographic isn’t current enthusiasts, why make an announcement to people who aren’t listening (ie the “sw he market”) 4 days early? Why not just do a show reveal?

I'm sure they passed that link for the scheduled video to various media outlets. Pinside's general inability to see the bigger picture sure is amusing.

#958 4 years ago

It’s way too expensive for the Christmas impulse market and obviously it’s too stripped for the collector. It’s really in nowhere territory.

It’s not that much cheaper than a Pro.

Surely they did some actual market research on this? To me it screams of a manufacturing driven product. “What’s the cheapest we can manufacture a real pinball machine?”. Instead the question should be “What’s the ideal price point for this target market and can we reach that price point?” If the answers no, you don’t do it.

Anyway, I’m assuming they at least consulted Costco who told them they’ve got a chance of selling them. So there must be some hope.

#959 4 years ago
    Quoted from kermit24:

Disney branding? I have never seen Star Wars merch with Disney branding. I am sure Lucasfilm is listed somewhere on it. Parent company Disney is usually never on the product.

well ... that has changed and here is proof.

disney logo on a luke starwars lightsaberdisney logo on a luke starwars lightsaber

source (7 min mark) :

#960 4 years ago

I’ll be pre ordering one today. Exciting.

#961 4 years ago
    Quoted from koops:

That's a thing you can get AT a Disney property; of course it's going to have Disney tagging there.

#962 4 years ago

Its geared for and cool enough for the Star Wars fanatic that would like a pin without the total sticker shock? Stern has the parts, tooling, code with license. With a little tweaking of the big brother version they have a home pin with not a lot of skin off their nose.

#963 4 years ago

Wondering if Amazon Aus will carry this too...

#964 4 years ago
    Quoted from koops:

[quoted image]
    source (7 min mark) :

Ok then! That is at Disneyland, but I get it. Must be the new branding strategy.

#965 4 years ago

surprised they included a lockdown bar button

#966 4 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

That's a thing you can get AT a Disney property; of course it's going to have Disney tagging there.

Sorry folks... it’s all Disney now

F636EBDF-A0BE-4BF8-9BA4-6DEEBB68F743.pngF636EBDF-A0BE-4BF8-9BA4-6DEEBB68F743.pngF636EBDF-A0BE-4BF8-9BA4-6DEEBB68F743.pngF636EBDF-A0BE-4BF8-9BA4-6DEEBB68F743.png

#967 4 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Sorry folks... it’s all Disney now
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Assimilation is complete

#968 4 years ago
    Quoted from cait001:

People want the start button on top.... finding how to start the game is a common issue

#969 4 years ago
    Quoted from cait001:

how else would you collect tie fighters? hmm .. they could have just had you mash the flipper buttons I suppose.

#970 4 years ago
    Quoted from koops:

how else would you collect tie fighters? hmm .. they could have just had you mash the flipper buttons I suppose.

Maybe the rules are not quite the same?

#971 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

That's very much a rehash of the Arcade1up vs real cabinets argument.
    I do believe there are enough people who would rather purchase a new star wars home game than deal with a 30 year old game. I'm guessing Stern does too. Like I think Aurich mentioned, they are even improving the design of the home pin with every iteration.
    It's still not the game for me, but that doesn't mean it's a terrible idea.

arcade game = not a mechanical toy = not a good comparison.

#972 4 years ago

Arcade 1up only does well because of the modding community.
    If someone is only curious about getting into pinball, I cant see them shelling out several thousand dollars for a pinball like experience. When I wanted to add my first pin to my arcade line up I spend $1,000 (cdn) on a 1980 William's Blackout. I would take that Blackout over one of these any day. Shit, I could buy a Blackout AND a System 11 for that price. This isnt zizzle bad but the zizzle I bought my 5yr old cost $100 (cdn)
    Unless Stern is going to sell these at Costco and Walmart for about $1,000 I cant see them moving very many.
    I'm also still optimistic that today has some secrets in store. I cant see the Stern hype train all being for this home edition. Maybe one of several announcements today? SWHE + a real pin + some topper and code announcements if we are lucky

#973 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jasontaps:

Not gonna happen. These are in the high 3k range. Maybe more do to Star Wars license. BTW, why didnt this title have Disney branding?

I know, which is crazy. Part of me thinks it could end up at $2,999.

#974 4 years ago

Distributor price is $3995.

#975 4 years ago

People saying “why not just buy a WMS game” have clearly been living inside the hobby bubble too long.

Regular people HAVE NO IDEA used pinball machines exists or that you can buy commercial arcade games for the home. One of the most common things I get when people visit and see the pins is “Wow, where did you get those?! You can own arcade games?!”

You can’t buy a Pinbot at Walmart. It takes actual effort to buy an old machine. First it needs to even occur to them to think they might want one.

This helps with that. This is the gateway game. And from the looks of it, it’s a huge improvement in home games.

#976 4 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

People saying “why not just buy a WMS game” have clearly been living inside the hobby bubble too long.
    Regular people HAVE NO IDEA used pinball machines exists or that you can buy commercial arcade games for the home. One of the most common things I get when people visit and see the pins is “Wow, where did you get those?! You can own arcade games?!”
    You can’t buy a Pinbot at Walmart. It takes actual effort to buy an old machine. First it needs to even occur to them to think they might want one.
    This helps with that. This is the gateway game. And from the looks of it, it’s a huge improvement in home games.

But for only $4000 more they could get a Wonka!!!!!

JW is right of course. Sure, YOU could buy a ratty system 11 and a Williams Blackout for $4k, both of which will require constant maintanence and be general pain in the ass to acquire and move...but that's not for everybody.

Also, neither, nor both, of those games are Star Wars.

#977 4 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Distributor price is $3995.

06EB5937-9216-4E7D-997D-661CA4801A2F (resized).jpeg06EB5937-9216-4E7D-997D-661CA4801A2F (resized).jpeg
    #978 4 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

I agree to a some degree. Some people do get into to the hobby by just buying an older game, I mean its not rocket science to type in "pinball machine" into facebook market place but yes some older folk might not think to use markets like this. But, price and distribution will be what ultimately kills this. I'm willing to bet that you won't see this game at Walmart or Target at least not in physical stores and yes it will most likely end up at Costco but think of their target demographic... people who go to Costco go there because they are on a budget hence why they are buying a 12 pack of deodorant or enough frozen chicken to last you a year.... I'm sorry but this isn't going to be the gateway into the hobby that everyone is claiming. I want to see this hobby survive, and I want all current and future pinball manufacturers to be successful, but this was just blatantly not researched properly.

#979 4 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

People want the start button on top.... finding how to start the game is a common issue

ahhh k that makes sense to me considering the market they are going for.

#980 4 years ago

I'm curious to know how much these weigh.

#981 4 years ago

Definitely not for the pinside crowd but seriously who is this for? The person who is not a pinhead is going to spend $4000 on a semi-serious pin? The serious Star Wars fan is going to buy this over the legit Star Wars pin? I see a few well-to-do grandparents buying one for their grandkids to play when they come over but that's it.

#982 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

But for only $4000 more they could get a Wonka!!!!!
    JW is right of course. Sure, YOU could buy a ratty system 11 and a Williams Blackout for $4k, both of which will require constant maintanence and be general pain in the ass to acquire and move...but that's not for everybody.
    Also, neither, nor both, of those games are Star Wars.

the REAL comparison that makes sense and is most direct...

SW home edition = 4000
    HUO SW pros = sitting unsold for 4700

#983 4 years ago
    Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

This isnt zizzle bad but the zizzle I bought my 5yr old cost $100 (cdn)

My guess is that zizzle was bought second hand. A new one was more than that, and someone bought it new.

#984 4 years ago
    Quoted from fisherdaman:

I'm willing to bet that you won't see this game at Walmart or Target at least not in physical stores and yes it will most likely end up at Costco but think of their target demographic... people who go to Costco go there because they are on a budget hence why they are buying a 12 pack of deodorant or enough frozen chicken to last you a year.

People on a budget go to Wal-Mart, not a membership club that requires annual membership fees and paying in bulk for items not needed for months. You go because you can afford to spend $500 a trip to buy items you won't use immediately but will save you money/time down the line. There are not a lot of beater vehicles in the Costco parking lots here, their customer base is well above average in income.

The Motley Fool did a report that found "Costco's entire membership base spends on average about $2,500 a year at its stores. Due to the membership fee, Costco's customers tend to be wealthier than the average American and have an average household income of $100,000." Now I know $100,000 a year is considered on the poorer side for Pinsiders (cough cough) but it seems like a solid target to aim this product at.

Having said that, I figured $3,999 retail would be the absolute top of the pricing chain but if that is distributor cost then I will be very interested to see how this plays out. Stern has done some research into the market for an item like this, lets see if it actually pays off for them.

#985 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

SW home edition = 4000

Nah.

Try
    Used SW Home Edition $3300
    Used SW Pro Pinball $4700

#986 4 years ago
    Quoted from Matesamo:

People on a budget go to Wal-Mart, not a membership club that requires annual membership fees and paying in bulk for items not needed for months. You go because you can afford to spend $500 a trip to buy items you won't use immediately but will save you money/time down the line. There are not a lot of beater vehicles in the Costco parking lots here, their customer base is well above average in income.
    The Motley Fool did a report that found "Costco's entire membership base spends on average about $2,500 a year at its stores. Due to the membership fee, Costco's customers tend to be wealthier than the average American and have an average household income of $100,000." Now I know $100,000 a year is considered on the poorer side for Pinsiders (cough cough) but it seems like a solid target to aim this product at.
    Having said that, I figured $3,999 retail would be the absolute top of the pricing chain but if that is distributor cost then I will be very interested to see how this plays out. Stern has done some research into the market for an item like this, lets see if it actually pays off for them.

I agree that people who shop at Costco tend to be wealthier than the average Walmart shopper, but they also tend to be thrifty and or budgetary don't you think? Just because they have more money doesn't mean they aren't going there to save money. I'd also like to see how many Costco stores actually get these, Costco knows their audience and I'm willing to bet that these wont be at every store.

cotton (resized).jpgcotton (resized).jpg
    #987 4 years ago

I could see this selling on Amazon to those that know nothing about pinball, but not at Costco.

#988 4 years ago

This thing has wireforms, but the Pro has plastic ramps

#989 4 years ago
    610DEA87-C824-4E3F-B253-48A6B62785CD (resized).jpeg610DEA87-C824-4E3F-B253-48A6B62785CD (resized).jpeg
    #990 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

SW home edition = 4000

Where are these magic SW Pros sitting unsold? They seem to sell for around 5k almost instantly when they show up.

#991 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:the REAL comparison that makes sense and is most direct...
    SW home edition = 4000

Star Wars just had another run in June which would indicate they are selling.

#992 4 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Regular people HAVE NO IDEA used pinball machines exists or that you can buy commercial arcade games for the home.

That's wrong. Here's a bit of a long story explaining wrongness: before I was in "the pinball community", I was NOT in the pinball community, just played in "my youth" and now I have extra cash. I thought, hey it'd be cool to get a pinball machine. My next, apparently amazing thought was, I WILL CHECK CRAIGSLIST where people buy all kinds of used shit and see if there are any used pinball machines for sale....people must sell those right? Yup. If anything, I didn't know they regularly made new ones.

#993 4 years ago
    Quoted from kermit24:

Nah.
    Try
    Used SW Home Edition $3300
    Used SW Pro Pinball $4700

New SW Home $4,000
    New Star Wars Pro $5,799

That is pretty substantial difference for the casual interested buyer. Sure there are differences between them and the Pro will be a much better game and value long term (I would assume) but those saving go a long way.

In reference to the SW Pro HUO sitting around unsold for $4700 I put myself in the mind of a non-pinball geek. I checked Facebook Marketplace for "Star Wars Pinball" within a 100 mile radius (includes Boston, RI, CT and parts of other states). There are no machines found, it goes outside of 100 miles and I can get a Star Wars LE for 10k if I drive to NYC and an Episode 1 for $5,150 in NJ. Craigslist (with a 200 mile range) has a Star Wars LE for $7600, that's it. If I Google Star Wars Pinball it comes up with the $5,700 price new. Oh and if you find one of those $4700 HUO Star Wars Pros on CL or Facebook expect to be told that you have to go to a strangers house to look at it, bring cash and deliver it yourself. Great!

#994 4 years ago
    Quoted from ktownhero:

Where are these magic SW Pros sitting unsold? They seem to sell for around 5k almost instantly when they show up.

Most of the ones I've seen tend to sell around 4,700 as long as they haven't been super modded with every model known to exist.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/81874

#995 4 years ago
    Quoted from kermit24:

Say what? As I am sitting here at my desk at work I grabbed the first Star Wars merchandise I could find. A Hallmark card. Maybe your looking at something that was made before the Lucas sale?

20190718_102408.jpg20190718_102408.jpg
    #996 4 years ago
    Quoted from Matesamo:

New SW Home $4,000
    New Star Wars Pro $5,799
    That is pretty substantial difference for the casual interested buyer. Sure there are differences between them and the Pro will be a much better game and value long term (I would assume) but those saving go a long way.
    In reference to the SW Pro HUO sitting around unsold for $4700 I put myself in the mind of a non-pinball geek. I checked Facebook Marketplace for "Star Wars Pinball" within a 100 mile radius (includes Boston, RI, CT and parts of other states). There are no machines found, it goes outside of 100 miles and I can get a Star Wars LE for 10k if I drive to NYC and an Episode 1 for $5,150 in NJ. Craigslist (with a 200 mile range) has a Star Wars LE for $7600, that's it. If I Google Star Wars Pinball it comes up with the $5,700 price new. Oh and if you find one of those $4700 HUO Star Wars Pros on CL or Facebook expect to be told that you have to go to a strangers house to look at it, bring cash and deliver it yourself. Great!

This is exactly correct. We are in a bubble within a bubble. Average people shopping for a home gameroom have no idea and just use google.

#997 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jasontaps:

Say what? As I am sitting here at my desk at work I grabbed the first Star Wars merchandise I could find. A Hallmark card. Maybe your looking at something that was made before the Lucas sale?[quoted image]

Apparently it all has Disney on it now. This is within the last couple years apparently.

#998 4 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Regular people HAVE NO IDEA used pinball machines exists or that you can buy commercial arcade games for the home. s.

Blackout $1,000 cdn January 2018

#999 4 years ago
    Quoted from ktownhero:

took literally 5 seconds to find 1
    https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/81874

others that were sold for 4700 in the past month
    here is one with shaker for 4700
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-star-wars-pro-w-shaker#post-4975290

4800 loaded. pretty sure it sold for 4700 also
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-or-trade-star-wars-pro-2

4700 is a pretty well established asking for a nice low play Swpro currently

#1000 4 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

My guess is that zizzle was bought second hand. A new one was more than that, and someone bought it new.

Used yes but the seller was the first owner and paid $150 when they were on sale

There are 1,362 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 28.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/next-stern-game-will-be-summer-release/page/20 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.