Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,362 posts
  • 344 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by northvibe
  • Topic is favorited by 19 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

cat.gif
    1FC613F8-B795-423A-A26F-A1FB88000D08 (resized).jpeg
    BD3329FA-1AFB-4902-B811-8A7BBAC4D66F.jpeg
    waf (resized).jpg
    913305B7-F7CB-4A60-B13C-D013E5BD786E.jpeg
    TheHomer (resized).png
    5D897299-BB3E-4372-A7F4-085917360B45 (resized).jpeg
    A5F5013C-22C8-403D-B404-5169633335B4 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Stern hurt you (resized).jpg
    rec.gif
    200.gif
    Screenshot_20190719-062816_Twitch (resized).jpg
    B9ADD20A-6042-4EDC-8626-F4CEE83B368F (resized).jpeg
    76D5C515-06BC-4631-982F-0EB5CF763AD2 (resized).jpeg
    dq (resized).png
    There are 1,362 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 28.
    #651 4 years ago
    Quoted from Marcdaddy:

Well expect a DUMPSTER FIRE ON FRIDAY.......

rock.gifrock.gif
    #652 4 years ago

I thought pins were in development for a couple years each? How would Stern have known Stranger Things would end up being this massive hit by season 3? Would have been a big gamble acquiring the license after the first season.

#653 4 years ago

So Star Wars Home Edition and Jurassic World on the same day?

#654 4 years ago

The next Stern is 46 hours away.

Maybe it will be a Mid-engine Corvette theme as that has the same reveal date.

#655 4 years ago
    Quoted from pcprogrammer:

Would have been a big gamble acquiring the license after the first season.

It was huge hit after the first season.

#656 4 years ago

We will see a stranger things pin one day, just not this year.

#657 4 years ago

Star Wars Home Edition......ughhhhhh.

#658 4 years ago
    Quoted from pcprogrammer:

I thought pins were in development for a couple years each? How would Stern have known Stranger Things would end up being this massive hit by season 3? Would have been a big gamble acquiring the license after the first season.

It would have been CHEAPER to acquire it too. If they did this, someone there is shrewd and brilliant. Streaming original content is the present (and future) and this would be a pinball first.

Quoted from Coz:

Star Wars Home Edition......ughhhhhh.

What's cheaper to use than a spring? I'm still thinking.

#659 4 years ago

I’ll also add that the odds are better we get a stranger things pin before a Tron vault...

#660 4 years ago

I recall a somewhat recent Stern designer’s quote that the next title was one that nobody was really clamoring for....anyone else recall that?

#661 4 years ago
    Quoted from mnpinball:

Star Wars the Pin

you have to be joking??? please tell me you are joking

#662 4 years ago
    Quoted from Budman:

I recall a somewhat recent Stern designer’s quote that the next title was one that nobody was really clamoring for....anyone else recall that?

Vaguely, but yes

#663 4 years ago
    Quoted from Guinnesstime:

A piece of curved spring steel.

Springs are actually kind of expensive...

#664 4 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

A piece of curved spring steel.
    Springs are actually kind of expensive...

I guess the tie fighter on the home pin will use that then

#665 4 years ago

I am not sure on pricing for home pins, but I think I would rather use the money for a used ‘real’ one?

#666 4 years ago
    Quoted from Goronic:

I am not sure on pricing for home pins, but I think I would rather use the money for a used ‘real’ one?

Non-pinheads feel comforted that buying a brand new game will be more reliable than a comparable used one. Stern wants that market that doesn't want to spend the extra $2,000 for a NIB arcade pin.

#667 4 years ago

I sure hope the rumors of stern only releasing a Star Wars home edition pin are untrue. I was hoping for new full featured new pin....ughhhh

#668 4 years ago
    Quoted from Coz:

I sure hope the rumors of stern only releasing a Star Wars home edition pin are untrue. I was hoping for new full featured new pin....ughhhh

if MNpinball says it, I'm pretty sure it's true. He's probably the one person here that actually knows stuff when he says it.

I'm sure the next full pin is going to be announced soon, though, maybe in the immortal words of Keith Elwin, "two weeks?"

#669 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

you have to be joking??? please tell me you are joking

It's 100% true.

#670 4 years ago

The greater cosmic joke would be if it has more compelling mechs than the Pro/Premium.

Anyone know who the designer is? Or if it's a rethemed SM The Pin?

#671 4 years ago

If it's a home edition it's 99.9% the Spiderman/Supreme template.

#672 4 years ago
    Quoted from Budman:

I recall a somewhat recent Stern designer’s quote that the next title was one that nobody was really clamoring for

So business as usual?

#673 4 years ago
    Quoted from westofrome:

If it's a home edition it's 99.9% the Spiderman/Supreme template.

So you think they will have a reveal stream for a game with the exact same layout as two previous games?

#674 4 years ago

Let's just say The Doctor is in.

#675 4 years ago

I don't think a SW home edition is what anywhere here wants or was hoping for (myself included). A lower cost Star Wars pin could very well appeal to buyers who don't own a pinball machine, but enjoy the concept and theme. I'm just not confident pricing around $4k USD, like they did with Spiderman, is low enough to sizeably penetrate that non pin-owner market if that's their goal. On the arcade machine side arcade owners were disgusted with the Arcade 1Up machines when they came out, but their low cost pricing allowed many non-arcade owners to pony up and buy. It also helped that many well known retailers sold them. Sales have been decent enough that Arcade 1Up is now bring out more themes and designs. Again, the Arcade 1Up machines are not $4k USD, but under $500.

#676 4 years ago
    Quoted from jellikit:

Let's just say The Doctor is in.

Holding out hope

97F84A5E-257F-4107-A253-BA01F3852D02.gif97F84A5E-257F-4107-A253-BA01F3852D02.gif
    #677 4 years ago
    Quoted from TrueJedi:

I don't think a SW home edition is what anywhere here wants or was hoping for (myself included). A lower cost Star Wars pin could very well appeal to buyers who don't own a pinball machine, but enjoy the concept and theme. I'm just not confident pricing around $4k USD, like they did with Spiderman, is low enough to sizeably penetrate that non pin-owner market if that's their goal. On the arcade machine side arcade owners were disgusted with the Arcade 1Up machines when they came out, but their low cost pricing allowed many non-arcade owners to pony up and buy. It also helped that many well known retailers sold them. Sales have been decent enough that Arcade 1Up is now bring out more themes and designs. Again, the Arcade 1Up machines are not $4k USD, but under $500.

Have you seen the size and build quality of the 1Ups? Arcade owners were in no way shape or form threatened by the existence of these. I am not really sure what you are suggesting here. A $500 SW pin made out of particle board for little kids?

#678 4 years ago
    Quoted from TrueJedi:

Again, the Arcade 1Up machines are not $4k USD, but under $500.

At my local Walmart they went from $299 to $199 and they still sat there collecting dust. Now they have the new units with new games on them for $299 in a 2nd pile. I wonder what's going to happen to those...

#679 4 years ago

It would have been CHEAPER to acquire it too. If they did this, someone there is shrewd and brilliant. Streaming original content is the present (and future) and this would be a pinball first.

Yes, a brilliant move but also risky. If they acquired it after season 1 it was a risk because season 2 could have easily flopped. This is 100% purchase for me.

#680 4 years ago
    Quoted from tpir:

Have you seen the size and build quality of the 1Ups? Arcade owners were in no way shape or form threatened by the existence of these. I am not really sure what you are suggesting here. A $500 SW pin made out of particle board for little kids?

I'm not suggesting that as we'd end up with another Zizzle. I'm suggesting if their objective is to reasonably break into non-pinball owner marketshare price points in and around $4k USD is too high. At $4k USD it's too close to a Pro, so they need to have stronger financial differentiation.

#681 4 years ago

A Stranger Things pin with some Synth Wave music would be amazing-

#682 4 years ago

Next Stern as well as Star Wars home edition is...

EEA2665E-287F-496F-8D76-2963C752CA89 (resized).jpegEEA2665E-287F-496F-8D76-2963C752CA89 (resized).jpeg
    #683 4 years ago

Reliable source confirmed it's a non-coin home-style Star Wars.

#684 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinBackpacker:

Similar layout?

#685 4 years ago
    Quoted from dos_reboot:

I heard that it's 'Coconut Island'.

Coconut Pete is one of the best characters Bill Paxton ever played!

319FCD9B-DBA5-4BA6-902E-F85BB35339C3 (resized).jpeg319FCD9B-DBA5-4BA6-902E-F85BB35339C3 (resized).jpeg484B318D-8520-4B86-BE8B-A2163AC9E2B2 (resized).jpeg484B318D-8520-4B86-BE8B-A2163AC9E2B2 (resized).jpeg964111CC-377E-4EFD-BDF3-582ABFD322C5 (resized).jpeg964111CC-377E-4EFD-BDF3-582ABFD322C5 (resized).jpeg
    #686 4 years ago

Guess #1. Stranger Things - Art Dirty Donny
    Guess #2. Jurrassic World - featuring a WWF Pf or Modified IM

#687 4 years ago
    Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

Guess #1. Stranger Things - Art Dirty Donny
    Guess #2. Jurrassic World - featuring a WWF Pf or Modified IM

Good guesses but Rick & Morty for the win

#688 4 years ago
    Quoted from Arcade:

Wow, really!?!?

#689 4 years ago
    Quoted from drfrightner:

I think you meant to say insanely brilliant which I would actually agree with you!! Thank you! Here some pics of T2.

Stern right now is a ship without a rudder. They might finally be letting all the negative reviews, pressure from other pinball companies, and decrease in sales impact their thought process. They're looking for home runs like Metallica, Ghostbusters and ACDC. You don't get them with a barrow black knight, Black Knight was a waste of their time because home buyers wouldn't touch that... I think maybe they overreached with Beatles thinking the #1 rated band of all-time a game based on their music will sell with little to no effort put into the game. I think what they learned is what I already knew Beatles and pinball isn't a match, especially at 8 to 25k. Deadpool is not a huge seller, nice game though, but its not based on the movie, and doesn't feature a rated R mode. If they're looking for a next home run you need a title that both the public home buyer/entertainment center and the pinball buyer can both get behind.
    Music pins there is only a few that make sense... Queen, Ozzy, M Crew, I personally think Beastie Boys would ring up the sales.
    On the movie side, doing a new Adams Family I think might work, or a movie based on a comedy like Caddyshack, Animal House, Blues Brothers, or even work towards Matrix. How about this wild card go back and do the Terminator series with the color screen.
    They need to do something big... say what you want about JJP but their themes right now are all grand slams, Toy Story, Guns N Roses and Wonka.
    Stern is falling behind and JJP is ramping up! It's getting very interesting.
    PS: I took these pictures for you LAST NIGHT! Now I can't get super incredible pictures of it without pulling it out, taking off the glass, etc. I didn't have time for that. This machine is near perfect. Shopped, collector toys, color screen, powder coated, and more.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Agree with most, besides the beatles. Loved the artwork on that, but i'm not paying overprice for a spiked seawitch 2.
    If jjp did beatles it would have been an awesome machine.
    At the moment i really hope stern continues with crap titles, so they dont have the chance to fuck up more stuff like the beatles.
    For now jjp does everything better, but the clearcoat.
    If stern wants back in the game go back to sam-system and start out by doing an awesome led-screen assisted revamp on lord of the rings, with as good integration as jjp hobbit.

If they chooze even worse quality, it really doesnt matter what their crap machine costs, since no one will buy anyway.
    Well maybe they are aiming for the pile on wallmart next to 1up?

#690 4 years ago
    Quoted from TrueJedi:

I'm not suggesting that as we'd end up with another Zizzle. I'm suggesting if their objective is to reasonably break into non-pinball owner marketshare price points in and around $4k USD is too high. At $4k USD it's too close to a Pro, so they need to have stronger financial differentiation.

Sounds like a reason for Stern to bump up prices again

#691 4 years ago
    Quoted from Arcade:

hmm, if this is true some creative household budgeting might be in order . . .

#692 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dr-pin:

and themes and fun factor and music and cost, but wait "build quality" right? Man the geniuses are out in full force in this thread. I take a nap and 50 posts of crap. Rick and Morty who the hell are they? Stranger Things,whats that? Concern about a home edition that has nothing to do with the pinside players/collectors brilliant. I'm gonna stay glued to this thread as the hits just keep coming. Hits that are made from pure Horse Manure.

#693 4 years ago

"Stranger Things has a cool factor"

Stranger Things has the potential to have *the* coolest 80s synthesizer sounds/music for a pin ever.

I have a feeling this is the new one though I'd prefer Megadeth .

#694 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinBackpacker:

Looks tight!

lskdjfg (resized).jpglskdjfg (resized).jpg
    #695 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dr-pin:

Agree with most, besides the beatles. Loved the artwork on that, but i'm not paying overprice for a spiked seawitch 2.
    If jjp did beatles it would have been an awesome machine.
    At the moment i really hope stern continues with crap titles, so they dont have the chance to fuck up more stuff like the beatles.
    If stern wants back in the game go back to sam-system and start out by doing an awesome led-screen assisted revamp on lord of the rings, with as good integration as jjp hobbit.
    If they chooze even worse quality, it really doesnt matter what their crap machine costs, since no one will buy anyway.
    Well maybe they are aiming for the pile on wallmart next to 1up?

Dude! I like JJP too, but this post is hot garbage

#696 4 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Rick and Morty who the hell are they? Stranger Things,whats that?

You may want to check them both out. Very entertaining and you’ll see that a pin just may be in order

#697 4 years ago
    Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

Looks tight![quoted image]

I know it's not a real Stern, but do you have a link for that project? It looks interesting for a homebrew. I kinda like how it appears to be scaled for a kitchen counter.

#698 4 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Rick and Morty who the hell are they? Stranger Things,whats that? Concern about a home edition that has nothing to do with the pinside players/collectors brilliant. I'm gonna stay glued to this thread as the hits just keep coming. Hits that are made from pure Horse Manure.

We get it. You don't consume contemporary media. Like it or not, Stern should be trying to grow pinball. Munsters, Elvira etc. just aren't going to cut it. Stranger things will hit the old farts that have nostalgia for the 80s, and it will hit the youth watching Netflix. The real question is if Stern will make such a smart move.

#699 4 years ago

My 18 and 20 year old boys now think the new season for Stranger Things is pretty lame. They liked season 1 and that was about it.

#700 4 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

I know it's not a real Stern, but do you have a link for that project? It looks interesting for a homebrew. I kinda like how it appears to be scaled for a kitchen counter.

Yup! Definitely a neat little project.

https://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Star-Wars-Pinball-Machine/

There are 1,362 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 28.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/next-stern-game-will-be-summer-release/page/14?hl=toppers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.