(Topic ID: 349732)

Next Stern DMD remake speculation thread

By mpdpvdpin

6 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Which Stern DMD remake are you dying to get your mitts on?”

• Ghostbusters 70 votes
      15%
    • Metallica 64 votes
      13%
    • Lord of the Rings 80 votes
      17%
    • Spider-Man 13 votes
      3%
    • Dark Knight 7 votes
      1%
    • Star Trek 14 votes
      3%
    • Pirates of the Caribbean 11 votes
      2%
    • Tron 64 votes
      13%
    • AC/DC 25 votes
      5%
    • KISS 20 votes
      4%
    • Iron Man 12 votes
      2%
    • Game of Thrones 10 votes
      2%
    • Sopranos 14 votes
      3%
    • X-Men 10 votes
      2%
    • Simpsons 25 votes
      5%
    • Family Guy 8 votes
      2%
      1%
    • Elvis 6 votes
      1%
    • 24 4 votes
      1%
    • Wheel of Fortune 6 votes
      1%
    • Monopoly 2 votes
    • World poker tour 2 votes
    • Roller Coaster Tycoon 1 vote
    • Playboy 0 votes
    • Mustang 4 votes
      1%
    • Transformers 5 votes
      1%

(Multiple choice - 482 votes by 224 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0566 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0572 (resized).jpeg
    image-2 (resized).jpg
    2269EA1E-CC43-4297-802E-A4FFCF783B07 (resized).jpeg
    ED78EFEF-FC98-47F1-AABE-EEC6E696A377 (resized).jpeg
    28DF3B45-BD30-46A8-9A74-CB4DC064DC04 (resized).jpeg
    E020930E-8DA7-4E05-8540-5E50DACF30B2 (resized).jpeg
    1B3515F0-A19B-499F-8921-D067D520D0FC (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0567 (resized).jpeg
    There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 6 months ago

With the announcement that Stern will possibly port some of its DMD era games to the Spike system (2? 3?) I figured we might like a place to speculate!

Welcome to the umm… Next Stern DMD remake speculation thread. Title subject to change

#2 6 months ago

Aerosmith is a Spike 2 LCD game already.

I would like the Boss Mustang DMD updated.

#3 6 months ago

MET and LOTR are given. I’d personally also like TSPP and Mustang.

KISS jumps to the top of the list if it got a backdoor skill shot added to the design and better code.

#4 6 months ago

Super pumped for the dmd remake of Aerosmith, take my money now

#5 6 months ago

Ready for a DMD version of Aerosmith pls !

#6 6 months ago

Oops, lol. Changed Aero to Sopranos and added a few others to the poll. Change your votes accordingly. You can vote on multiples by the way.

#7 6 months ago

It likely won't happen, but Tron, please.

#8 6 months ago

KISS with updated code would be my vote

Quoted from Yoko2una:

MET and LOTR are given. I’d personally also like TSPP and Mustang.
    KISS jumps to the top of the list if it got a backdoor skill shot added to the design and better code.

#9 6 months ago

Love to see Ghostbusters, Tron.

#10 6 months ago

Tron or LOTR all the way.

#11 6 months ago

Looks like LOTR is likely out of the running since the license is in other hands unfortunately.

Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Tron or LOTR all the way.

IMG_0567 (resized).jpegIMG_0567 (resized).jpeg
    #12 6 months ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

It likely won't happen, but Tron, please.

Tron rights are owned by Disney….. i wouldn’t be surprised to see use their relationship with Disney to rerun Tron

#13 6 months ago

I eagerly awaiting the 24th anniversary Stern 24 coming out in 2025 !! The Steve Ritchie and Lyman Sheets masterpiece!

1B3515F0-A19B-499F-8921-D067D520D0FC (resized).jpeg1B3515F0-A19B-499F-8921-D067D520D0FC (resized).jpeg
    #14 6 months ago

25th anniversary edition CSI coming in 2025 ??

E020930E-8DA7-4E05-8540-5E50DACF30B2 (resized).jpegE020930E-8DA7-4E05-8540-5E50DACF30B2 (resized).jpeg
    #15 6 months ago

Cool game! Added to poll. Could also be ripe for are-theme to a more current crime show as well.

Quoted from Coz:

I eagerly awaiting the 24th anniversary Stern 24 coming out in 2025 !! The Steve Ritchie and Lyman Sheets masterpiece!
    [quoted image]

#16 6 months ago

Wheel of Fortune 50th Anniversary coming in 2025 ??

28DF3B45-BD30-46A8-9A74-CB4DC064DC04 (resized).jpeg28DF3B45-BD30-46A8-9A74-CB4DC064DC04 (resized).jpeg
    #17 6 months ago

If there’s ONE game in the history of pinball that in dire need of a code expansion this is it haha

Quoted from Coz:

Wheel of Fortune 50th Anniversary coming in 2025 ??
    [quoted image]

#18 6 months ago

Monopoly 90th anniversary coming in 2025 ???

ED78EFEF-FC98-47F1-AABE-EEC6E696A377 (resized).jpegED78EFEF-FC98-47F1-AABE-EEC6E696A377 (resized).jpeg
    #19 6 months ago

Striker Xtreme 25th anniversary edition in 2025 ??

2269EA1E-CC43-4297-802E-A4FFCF783B07 (resized).jpeg2269EA1E-CC43-4297-802E-A4FFCF783B07 (resized).jpeg
    #20 6 months ago

Stern bigger building equals bigger games!
    Get to the assembly line!! Just having fun

image-2 (resized).jpgimage-2 (resized).jpg
    #21 6 months ago

Missing World Poker Tour on this list, can’t take this seriously without WPT and Playboy.

Edit: and Rollercoaster Tycoon! This is blasphemous.

#22 6 months ago

I’m getting there, hold ya horses. Was previously keeping it to top 100 but that’s out the window already haha

*poll updated

Quoted from ThatGuyBo:

Missing World Poker Tour on this list, can’t take this seriously without WPT and Playboy.
    Edit: and Rollercoaster Tycoon! This is blasphemous.

#23 6 months ago

Tron and X-Men. X-Men only primarily if it gets a rework like SpiderMan Vault

#24 6 months ago

Ghostbusters with LCD and a redesign by anyone else. I love the theme but hate the way it shoots.

Oh yeah, it’s 40 years old this year.

#25 6 months ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

I would like the Boss Mustang DMD updated.

So where is it on the list?

Might as well add Transformers to that list too.

#26 6 months ago

Your wish is my command, list updated.

Quoted from PinballManiac40:

So where is it on the list?
    Might as well add Transformers to that list too.

#28 6 months ago

Ghostbusters would be a great remake if they redesigned the entire game. Other than the art, which is awesome, it's a complete turd.

#29 6 months ago

I actually love GB regardless of the flipper gap. It was one of those games that really pushed me as a player. The ball gate mod out of the pops is absolutely crucial though. Otherwise it’s sdtm all day, so I get the frustration. The rules / code are fantastic if you’re able to progress through it. If they do re-issue I’d hope they would leave the flippers as they are and add the back gate from the factory.

Quoted from DeeGor:

Ghostbusters would be a great remake if they redesigned the entire game. Other than the art, which is awesome, it's a complete turd.

#30 6 months ago

Tron has to be done, no exception

#31 6 months ago

I’d order a Tron.

#32 6 months ago

It's obvious they will do the ones that will sell a lot.
    Tron
    Ghostbusters (But they really should fix the flipper gap)
    Maybe Lord of the Rings, though there are plenty and lots of people have already owned it
    Metallica has a lot of demand

I'd be interested in the some of the other early 2000's games like CSI, Wheel of Fortune, 24. BUT, depends on price and code might need to be beefed up to make them interesting. If we're talking 9500 for these older titles, ehhhhhhhh pass. Bring them in for 5k-6k and they might sell well. Maybe Pro pricing at 7k, but thats a stretch.

#33 6 months ago

Frankly I think it's silly if they don't go further back.... Look into DE/Sega titles.... Or if it were me, even further back....King Kong

#34 6 months ago
    Quoted from Sonic:

Or if it were me, even further back....King Kong

King Kong plays terrible. Make a completely new game with a Kong theme instead of a remake.

#35 6 months ago

since we're speculatin', i'm gonna speculate that a glut of new games and dropping values on machines in the secondary market will keep this from coming to fruition.

if it does happen, i hope they do Tron and it's reasonable in price (IE, similar to a current pro.)

#36 6 months ago

I'd buy a Tron probably.

#37 6 months ago

Is there really a huge demand for another metallica if it's same game but with updated lcd with HD dots? They made a ton of them over a 5+ year period . I think there are better options like ghostbusters,
    tron and lotr. So many new games available and many more coming out this year . At some point the buying will drastically slow..... you can allready see a huge decline.

#38 6 months ago
    Quoted from bigd1979:

Is there really a huge demand for another metallica if it's same game but with updated lcd with HD dots? They made a ton of them over a 5+ year period .

And yet they are hard to come by and command a really high price. They keep making Godzillas and they keep selling them too. There are some games that just sell like mad. I had sworn off NIB games after Jaws, but I'll be getting SPIKE Metallica Premium...and then swearing off NIB games for at least the next two.

#39 6 months ago

Giving JT royalties? Maybe after Gomez retires but I just don't think they're that desperate yet. I heard a story once that he made them take a GB out of a Stern booth or shut it off or something just cuz of the association. That was awile back and time heals all wounds or whatever analogy I guess but that would be about the only one that would shock me. Probably the only way I'd sell mine tho if there were improvements I'd be in but I think a whole new GB someday would be more likely than an updated JT version.

#40 6 months ago
    Quoted from MacGruber:

Giving JT royalties? Maybe after Gomez retires but I just don't think they're that desperate yet. I heard a story once that he made them take a GB out of a Stern booth or shut it off or something just cuz of the association. That was awile back and time heals all wounds or whatever analogy I guess but that would be about the only one that would shock me. Probably the only way I'd sell mine tho if there were improvements I'd be in but I think a whole new GB someday would be more likely than an updated JT version.

He already got paid for the game.
    Just as the Williams designers got paid prior and get no monies for the reproductions. That's what I was told ...

#41 6 months ago
    Quoted from chad:

He already got paid for the game.
    Just as the Williams designers got paid prior and get no monies for the reproductions. That's what I was told ...

Designers get royalties

Edit: Oh, you're saying if Stern called their own game a remake instead of a vault, there's a loophole to screw over their designers? Oh, sounds legit

#42 6 months ago

Why would a designer get royalties when they were literally paid to design the game? I could see how a bonus structure might be tied to a game, ie make a sweet game that sells a lot and get a bigger bonus. BUT I seriously doubt any monetary compensation extends to post employment.

#43 6 months ago

I’ll call it here. Give me a Re-Master of Spiderman. The newer DMD code and Sculpts as was used in the Marvel Vault addition. Buuuut …. A brand new art package by Zombie Yeti whois loved by the Marvel group. Go and stylize it after the 1970s comics like Gottlieb Amazing Spiderman to pull in those who disliked the prior version more modern take. It would get my money!

#44 6 months ago

Give us the Walking Dead Comic edition with art by Zombie Yeti!!!!

#45 6 months ago

If Stern used Secondary Market prices as an indicator of Demand, then certainly Ghostbusters,Tron and Met.

Pirates seems to be raising in value, that could be cool

I would like to see GOT

#46 6 months ago

Right... It's work product. Unless their comp was setup differently ahead of time it's just work product and they were paid to help create ip owned by the company. They would not, in my mind, have any further claim to it... But I'm not privy to how their comp is setup so who knows.

Quoted from ASAC_Schrader:Why would a designer get royalties when they were literally paid to design the game? I could see how a bonus structure might be tied to a game, ie make a sweet game that sells a lot and get a bigger bonus. BUT I seriously doubt any monetary compensation extends to post employment.

#47 6 months ago

Metallica price has dropped drastically over the course of 2023, there are three available for sale near me between $6k-$8k when they were previously nearing $10k. The lower end will sell but I’m thinking that they just aren’t gonna move over $7k these days as the big rumor is MET will be the first game to be ported.

This guy is even offering to buy you a sandwich if you buy his MET for $6200, strange times.

Quoted from John_I:

And yet they are hard to come by and command a really high price. They keep making Godzillas and they keep selling them too. There are some games that just sell like mad. I had sworn off NIB games after Jaws, but I'll be getting SPIKE Metallica Premium...and then swearing off NIB games for at least the next two.

IMG_0572 (resized).jpegIMG_0572 (resized).jpeg
    #48 6 months ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

King Kong plays terrible. Make a completely new game with a Kong theme instead of a remake.

Nah....

#49 6 months ago

I doubt whether any dmd remake is worth it from sales perspective. LOTR and TRON maybe, but even lotr only climbed above $6k in 2021. Also doubt that TRON as a theme really has mass appeal outside the longer-term pinball crowd. Metallica and GB both on way down and will continue; both will be selling for less than a NIB stern pro soon…why remake a game where the market is less than new pricing?

#50 6 months ago

I’ve got a nice GOT in the marketplace if your lookin, wink wink

Quoted from sulli10:

If Stern used Secondary Market prices as an indicator of Demand, then certainly Ghostbusters,Tron and Met.
    Pirates seems to be raising in value, that could be cool
    I would like to see GOT

There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.