You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image3 (resized).png
pasted_image2 (resized).png
pasted_image1 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider thermionic.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinhead76:

Yes, sorry I should have clarified. The home edition is $4499.00 on Stern's website. If you click on the "Games" there is an "Affordable Home Game" page which takes you to the Home Edition. This puts the pin in my price range. I have to say though, the playfield looks pretty dull to me, but who knows, with the right code it could be super fun, just not a theme I would be interested in. Like I said, I just hope they keep making new pins in this price range and perhaps other companies may start doing the same.

I have played the SW Home version a little, and although I haven't put a lot of time on one I must say I actually enjoyed playing it more than a full-blown SW Pro, it's a legitimately good game IMO. The shots are great (I believe it's a Gomez design), there's some real depth to the code that should give it some staying power in a home setting, and the audio and video are well-done (hobbled only by the tiny screen and mono sound). Upon inspection, it's obvious where the cost-cutting vs a "proper" Pro game took place, but it's not really noticeable during game play and I don't think any of it will be significantly detrimental to long-term durability in a home setting.

I really don't think someone is making a bad choice by picking this up instead of a used coin-op machine; some folks just want that "new pin smell" and the perception of better reliability that comes from buying NIB, and I can't blame them. There is a local place advertising these on their marquee at $4200, so I have little doubt one could be had for $4k with a bit of haggling.

The SW Home playfield has been recycled a couple of times. Earlier versions had plastic ramps and were featured in Transformers, SM, and Avengers home pins (which were mostly dismal and have been completely scrubbed off Stern's web site), then reworked slightly for Supreme. The version in SW Home has metal ramp upgrades and a couple of reworked details, but is the same basic layout. This playfield may have been used for other titles as well, but I cannot recall.

Of note, the $8k Heavy Metal pin uses an almost identical playfield as the SW Home, so you can feel great about getting a "good deal" and paying half the cost for the same basic ball-flipping action if you pick up SW!

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from PismoArcade:

Were the ones they were selling at Costco a few years back a precursor of "The Pin"?

Those were the first incarnation of "The Pin" if I recall correctly. The first was Transformers, followed by Avengers; they are identical except for the theme, used red alphanumeric LED displays, and a weird cabinet design with a playfield that couldn't be raised (the bottom panel of the cabinet had to be removed for access to the playfield underside). I recall Transformers being sold at Costco for $2500 at the time. Of note, these were some of the first games to implement the Spike System.

The next "Pin" was Spiderman; it had a more conventional looking cabinet and small color LCD display, and was the first that looked and felt more like a "real" machine.

pasted_image1 (resized).pngpasted_image1 (resized).pngpasted_image2 (resized).pngpasted_image2 (resized).pngpasted_image3 (resized).pngpasted_image3 (resized).png
#28 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Before those was Batman Dark Knight Costco Edition & Iron Man Home Edition.

Yes, but those machines (if I recall correctly) were simply decontented versions of the coin-op models. They had the same cabinets, art, DMD, and basic gameplay, so the cost-cutting was mostly implemented via the deleted playfield features, omitted coin mechs, and (probably) cheaper licensing for home-only use.

The "PIN" series is where Stern began to try to purpose-build "home" games from the ground-up, hence the lighter weight cabinets with weird form-factors, chintzy displays, mono sound, parallel-connected coils, etc.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 4,999.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 22.95
Playfield - Plastics
RGP Models

$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pin Modster

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

€ 160.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 9.00
Cabinet - Other
Mooshue's Market

$ 250.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 80.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Reflex Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider thermionic.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/next-stern-affordable-pin?tu=thermionic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.