Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image3 (resized).png
pasted_image2 (resized).png
pasted_image1 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
#1 2 years ago

I really like the idea of Stern making more affordable pins, making pinball more available to people who usually could not afford a new pinball machine. I hope to see this program going ahead in the future. Unfortunately, I am not a huge Star Wars fan and I really don't like the comic art so I will have to pass on the Star Wars Comic pin, but I appreciate the price. I was wondering if anyone knows if Stern will continue making an affordable line of pins or is this just a one-off? What would you like the next affordable pin to be? Can you live without all the bells and whistles? Do you think other pinball manufacturers will follow suit? Thanks!

#2 2 years ago

In today's market, you could argue that the next affordable pin with be the first.

#3 2 years ago
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#4 2 years ago

Never happen...

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinhead76:

I really like the idea of Stern making more affordable pins, making pinball more available to people who usually could not afford a new pinball machine. I hope to see this program going ahead in the future. Unfortunately, I am not a huge Star Wars fan and I really don't like the comic art so I will have to pass on the Star Wars Comic pin, but I appreciate the price. I was wondering if anyone knows if Stern will continue making an affordable line of pins or is this just a one-off? What would you like the next affordable pin to be? Can you live without all the bells and whistles? Do you think other pinball manufacturers will follow suit? Thanks!

The Star Wars Comic art is the same price as any other stern pro.

#6 2 years ago

I believe the op was looking at the home edition which is 2k below a new pro. These could have a place at some point, entry level for a home user.

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from rwmech5:

I believe the op was looking at the home edition which is 2k below a new pro. These could have a place at some point, entry level for a home user.

^^^^^this^^^^^
https://pinballpro.net/stern-star-wars-pin-comic-edition/

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from rwmech5:

Yes, sorry I should have clarified. The home edition is $4499.00 on Stern's website. If you click on the "Games" there is an "Affordable Home Game" page which takes you to the Home Edition. This puts the pin in my price range. I have to say though, the playfield looks pretty dull to me, but who knows, with the right code it could be super fun, just not a theme I would be interested in. Like I said, I just hope they keep making new pins in this price range and perhaps other companies may start doing the same.

#9 2 years ago

Way better to get a previous title that is HUO than getting a home model. Pick up a TWD, Aerosmith, Star Trek, for 5k or less.

#10 2 years ago

Get an EM if you want affordable. Everything else is getting crazy expensive. I dont consider a $4500 game “affordable”.

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from SpyroFTW:

Get an EM if you want affordable. Everything else is getting crazy expensive. I dont consider a $4500 game “affordable”.

I have had two Old Chicago's in the past. I loved that game... Anyways, I am more financially stable than when I joined Pinside many years ago, so $4500 for a brand new game sounds good to me, but I agree with previous poster that HUO games would be better. That being said, prices are crazy here in the Houston area....

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from SpyroFTW:

people that overlook the flood of amazing sub-$1k EMs on the market are missing out on a ton of fun

#13 2 years ago

Stern seems dedicated to the "home pin" concept and I have no doubt they'll keep trying.

There's definitely a market for these. Yes, yes, we all know you can get a used pro for $1,000 more than one of these "home models" but plenty of people don't want to deal with used market. Their latest attempt, Star Wars, is their best yet and their closest to a commercial game but for most of us it just doesn't make any sense. The sweet spot would probably be around $3500 new but I don't think they can pull that off. There's only so much you can take out of a game before it starts to resemble those Star Explorer machines.

#14 2 years ago

I do not understand "affordable". I bought my first pin in 1983 and have owned about 50. I sold all for more, or traded for equal or a better game. Home games always go down in value. Affordable is a Gottlieb System 1. Get a working one for less than a grand. They are fun games. Electromechanical games are low in price. They are very affordable, if you are good at tinkering. Pay 500 for one and keep it working and it will be worth 550 or 600 in 2 years. You made 50 or 100. Very affordable.

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Stern seems dedicated to the "home pin" concept and I have no doubt they'll keep trying.
There's definitely a market for these. Yes, yes, we all know you can get a used pro for $1,000 more than one of these "home models" but plenty of people don't want to deal with used market. Their latest attempt, Star Wars, is their best yet and their closest to a commercial game but for most of us it just doesn't make any sense. The sweet spot would probably be around $3500 new but I don't think they can pull that off. There's only so much you can take out of a game before it starts to resemble those Star Explorer machines.

I agree 100% I do think they are heading in the right direction just missed it for me. I guess we will have to see if sales meet their expectations before they decide to continue with the idea.

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinhead76:

Yes, sorry I should have clarified. The home edition is $4499.00 on Stern's website. If you click on the "Games" there is an "Affordable Home Game" page which takes you to the Home Edition. This puts the pin in my price range. I have to say though, the playfield looks pretty dull to me, but who knows, with the right code it could be super fun, just not a theme I would be interested in. Like I said, I just hope they keep making new pins in this price range and perhaps other companies may start doing the same.

I have played the SW Home version a little, and although I haven't put a lot of time on one I must say I actually enjoyed playing it more than a full-blown SW Pro, it's a legitimately good game IMO. The shots are great (I believe it's a Gomez design), there's some real depth to the code that should give it some staying power in a home setting, and the audio and video are well-done (hobbled only by the tiny screen and mono sound). Upon inspection, it's obvious where the cost-cutting vs a "proper" Pro game took place, but it's not really noticeable during game play and I don't think any of it will be significantly detrimental to long-term durability in a home setting.

I really don't think someone is making a bad choice by picking this up instead of a used coin-op machine; some folks just want that "new pin smell" and the perception of better reliability that comes from buying NIB, and I can't blame them. There is a local place advertising these on their marquee at $4200, so I have little doubt one could be had for $4k with a bit of haggling.

The SW Home playfield has been recycled a couple of times. Earlier versions had plastic ramps and were featured in Transformers, SM, and Avengers home pins (which were mostly dismal and have been completely scrubbed off Stern's web site), then reworked slightly for Supreme. The version in SW Home has metal ramp upgrades and a couple of reworked details, but is the same basic layout. This playfield may have been used for other titles as well, but I cannot recall.

Of note, the $8k Heavy Metal pin uses an almost identical playfield as the SW Home, so you can feel great about getting a "good deal" and paying half the cost for the same basic ball-flipping action if you pick up SW!

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinhead76:

I agree 100% I do think they are heading in the right direction just missed it for me. I guess we will have to see if sales meet their expectations before they decide to continue with the idea.

They've come a long way. Their first attempt - "the pin" - was a godforsaken monstrosity!

https://www.amazon.com/Stern-Transformers-Pin-Pinball-Machine/dp/B009AVLBS0/ref=cm_cr_srp_d_pdt_img_top

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from gamera9:

I do not understand "affordable". I bought my first pin in 1983 and have owned about 50. I sold all for more, or traded for equal or a better game. Home games always go down in value. Affordable is a Gottlieb System 1. Get a working one for less than a grand. They are fun games. Electromechanical games are low in price. They are very affordable, if you are good at tinkering. Pay 500 for one and keep it working and it will be worth 550 or 600 in 2 years. You made 50 or 100. Very affordable.

I don't think affordable has to mean spending as little as possible, and not everyone has the skill or inclination to work on machines that might require an oscilloscope to debug them, they just want to play. The experience of the games you just recommended is fun yes, but not what a used Stern Pro or Home edition offers in my opinion. Top that off with a flat out stupid market right now: The closest thing within 100 miles of me that matches this idea is a Flying Carpet for $750, with the next available machine being a $4000 DE Jurassic Park.

More similar to your example: My first motorcycle in 2003 was a 1974 Honda CB360 with tube tires, carburetors, drum brakes, and at best 22 horsepower. I paid $200 for it, fixed it up, and sold it 25,000 miles later for $1000. Would I recommend one now? No, parts are even harder to find, a bone stock modern machine can run complete circles around it without having to worry about rubber parts dry rotting or wires breaking or points needing calibration.

#19 2 years ago

Were the ones they were selling at Costco a few years back a precursor of "The Pin"?

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from PismoArcade:

Were the ones they were selling at Costco a few years back a precursor of "The Pin"?

Those were the first incarnation of "The Pin" if I recall correctly. The first was Transformers, followed by Avengers; they are identical except for the theme, used red alphanumeric LED displays, and a weird cabinet design with a playfield that couldn't be raised (the bottom panel of the cabinet had to be removed for access to the playfield underside). I recall Transformers being sold at Costco for $2500 at the time. Of note, these were some of the first games to implement the Spike System.

The next "Pin" was Spiderman; it had a more conventional looking cabinet and small color LCD display, and was the first that looked and felt more like a "real" machine.

pasted_image1 (resized).pngpasted_image1 (resized).pngpasted_image2 (resized).pngpasted_image2 (resized).pngpasted_image3 (resized).pngpasted_image3 (resized).png
#21 2 years ago
Quoted from SpyroFTW:

Get an EM if you want affordable.

and a gun so u can shoot urself out of sheer boredom. I'll take the modern 6 to 10K box of lights thank you very much.

#22 2 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Way better to get a previous title that is HUO than getting a home model. Pick up a TWD, Aerosmith, Star Trek, for 5k or less.

Much easier to do on the East Coast than down here in Texas.

#23 2 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

and a gun so u can shoot urself out of sheer boredom. I'll take the modern 6 to 10K box of lights thank you very much.

u r 2 funny!

#24 2 years ago

I bet it’ll be another reskin, but with a layer of Marvel paint

#25 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

They've come a long way. Their first attempt - "the pin" - was a godforsaken monstrosity!
amazon.com link »

100% agreed. The thing that should not be'

#26 2 years ago
Quoted from Thermionic:

Those were the first incarnation of "The Pin" if I recall correctly. The first was Transformers, followed by Avengers; they are identical except for the theme, used red alphanumeric LED displays, and a weird cabinet design with a playfield that couldn't be raised (the bottom panel of the cabinet had to be removed for access to the playfield underside). I recall Transformers being sold at Costco for $2500 at the time. Of note, these were some of the first games to implement the Spike System.
The next "Pin" was Spiderman; it had a more conventional looking cabinet and small color LCD display, and was the first that looked and felt more like a "real" machine.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Before those was Batman Dark Knight Costco Edition & Iron Man Home Edition.

#27 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinhead76:

Much easier to do on the East Coast than down here in Texas.

It isn't impossible to do in Texas. I think I saw a dozen huo games come up around 5k when Mando was announced. Granted the only one I still see is a Star Wars in Houston.

#28 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Before those was Batman Dark Knight Costco Edition & Iron Man Home Edition.

Yes, but those machines (if I recall correctly) were simply decontented versions of the coin-op models. They had the same cabinets, art, DMD, and basic gameplay, so the cost-cutting was mostly implemented via the deleted playfield features, omitted coin mechs, and (probably) cheaper licensing for home-only use.

The "PIN" series is where Stern began to try to purpose-build "home" games from the ground-up, hence the lighter weight cabinets with weird form-factors, chintzy displays, mono sound, parallel-connected coils, etc.

#29 2 years ago

At least the Star Wars home pin has metal ramps, these aren't even on The Mandolorian.

#30 2 years ago
Quoted from rwmech5:

At least the Star Wars home pin has metal ramps, these aren't even on The Mandolorian.

Is “metal ramps” the new dumb litmus test for what’s supposed to represent a good pinball machine?

Some of the best, most popular games of all time have plastic ramps. I’d do a list, but that would just demean both of us.

#31 2 years ago

if the kaneda rumor that stern is planning to raise prices by $500 is true, then todays games are the more affordable ones. tomorrows will not be.

#32 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Is “metal ramps” the new dumb litmus test....

It's not "new" by any means

#33 2 years ago

JP is the rumor to answer the OP.

#34 2 years ago

Either make an appointment to go to Joystix in downtown Houston to try out that Star Wars pin during the day, if they still have one, or go play everything they have, new and older, on the 1st and last Friday each month from 9pm to 2am for $15. Always a great time there. At one point in time, Joystix did have a Spiderman pin there. Likely sold though. https://www.joystixgames.com/pacman-fever-friday/

#35 2 years ago

November is coming up so our next Houston Arcade Expo is going to be another great party. Last time, Joystix did bring 2 of those Star Wars pins among other games to the show. There could be some older games for sale there, some may even be listed on the game list from now until the time the show starts.

http://www.arcadecenter.com/index.php/games/

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 250.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 18.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 4,999.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

$ 22.95
Playfield - Plastics
RGP Models

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 80.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Reflex Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pin Modster

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/next-stern-affordable-pin?hl=spyroftw and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.