Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 148 posts
  • 59 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by scooter75
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DE911470-9AE8-4DE5-801D-70FC9C0D5304 (resized).jpeg
    20210625_230206 (resized).jpg
    20210625_215147.jpg
    F3849C95-7AB6-4C85-930B-6213DAD80512 (resized).jpeg
    325F134B-469E-41BA-91AA-32559F94068F (resized).jpeg
    A9F3A662-29D1-43B4-9A01-6487109B67DE (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swampfire.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#12 2 years ago

My son was the one who told me “dad, you HAVE to buy Metallica”, when he was about 16. My wife was interested in Led Zep. I think Stern is making good theme decisions, even if they are in a bit of a rut with Marvel and classic rock. I’m looking forward to more sci-fi and horror-themed games from them; I love STH and TWD.

#48 2 years ago

Out of all the games I own, the only one that my son says he wants and I can never sell is Time Fantasy. If you want an evergreen theme, it’s hard to beat marijuana and getting stoned. Personally, I’d like a microbrewery pin.

#65 2 years ago

I don’t think we should be so quick to dismiss the online challenge idea. We’ve often had challenges in the Club threads, and I’d love to register my pin in a challenge (with my Pinside username) and have it post all my stats at the end of the game - maybe with an opt-out for bad games. These don’t even have to be score-based. It could be “most combos” or “highest mode score” or “best demogorgon multiball”. There are lots of creative possibilities.

#74 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

That all sounds like anti-fun. Pinball has so much fun in it - if you’re bored of what it offers and thinks it needs these video gamey things, maybe pinball isn’t for you.

“It’s less fun to compete”??

#79 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Competing on same machine together = makes sense.
    “Competing” on different units “against” someone somewhere else = pointless, doesn’t sell more games or make more people want to play.

Clearly you’re not hip to the online dart scene (for example). Competing against someone in another country is hella fun. If you don’t see the point, I’d guess you don’t play in casual tournaments. IDGAF if someone else’s game is set up at a different angle, or is “easier”, it’s still fun to compete and trash talk.

#80 2 years ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

All this talk about online play going to help keep pinball alive is pure b.s. in my book

We aren’t talking about “online play”. We’re talking about pushing scores and achievements online in real-time, so we can have a friendly competition. You guys can trash-talk the idea all you want; I think it’s going to happen and it will grow the player community.

Rarehero and Bublehead in 2002: “Why in the world would anybody want to record a show and watch it later?”

#105 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Did you discover VHS in 2002? And what does that have to do with pinball? Now we’ve got VCRument…DVRument? Streamument?
    Convenient media viewing habits is a bizarre and irrelevant comparison to pinball.

You’re rowing upstream, Greg. Things are changing, and they always will. How many pinball tournaments do you remember in the 90’s? Yeah, me neither.

#110 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Pinball has a million ways to enjoy it. Now. What’s with this entitlement that pinball must be bent to your will? Is pinball that boring to you in its current form?

Put down your tablets, Moses. Let other people enjoy things.

#126 2 years ago
    Quoted from sunnRAT:

Yeah, but pinball will die because no internet!

Absolutely nobody in this thread has said that. Ya’ll need to lighten up. It’s not going to destroy pinball if someone connects a pin to a server.

Let’s get back to talking about bad theme ideas, like Thomas the Tank Engine.

#132 2 years ago
    Quoted from sunnRAT:

No, but initially this thread started out with the general idea that pinball will need kids to like it for it to continue on and survive whatever it is the OP was alluding to and you arrived with "there are things pinball needs to do" with the 'modernization' and 'persistant data' and everything else you think pinball is supposed to have now.
    Perhaps it's hard to grasp when someone uses an obviously exaggerated statement, but it pretty much sums up where you guys took this thread.

I disagree with the OP, and I knew this thread would turn into a dumpster fire. The thread turned into a discussion about how to make pinball more engaging for a more connected world. That’s not just “kids”, I’m in my 50’s and I’m much more online than I used to be. jwilson almost gets it - Scorebit wouldn’t exist, if there wasn’t a demand for the kinds of things Darscot and I are talking about. But it shouldn’t be necessary to bolt on a huge $300 board to make this happen. Stern could add Wi-Fi to the CPU node board for less than $20, and charge $50 to enable the functionality. That’s what I’m hoping will happen, and what I’m expecting will happen. Complaining about progress like that is just a pointless waste of time.

#133 2 years ago

What bothers me most about this thread is that some of you think that pinball needs you to be the “gatekeepers” of what pinball should be. I get it, I didn’t like LEDs when they first came out (too bright, and there wasn’t a way to dim them early on). I don’t like having my picture taken by a game. I’m sure if you go back far enough in my posts, you can find me bitching about change. But at least I have the self-awareness to be embarrassed about them now.

#138 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

If you actually want any kind of userbase for pinball online things, the last thing you’d want is another upcharge on these already expensive games. If you sell 2000 machines, do you want everyone online or a fraction of an already small number?

It’s not for you, it’s for tournament players. Feel free to follow me to this thread if you want to keep debating it.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gary-stern-confirms-wi-fi-coming-tournament-play-through-the-cloud/page/3#post-6354051

#143 2 years ago

OP, the whole premise of this thread is wrong. Most of us who’ve been here a while are hoping for a correction, at least for used games. The phrase “pinball depression” is ludicrous, especially right now.

#144 2 years ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

I didn't hear about tournies until 2004. Pretty sad.

We didn’t have tournaments here in GA until 2011. Guess what got me addicted to competition play?

DE911470-9AE8-4DE5-801D-70FC9C0D5304 (resized).jpegDE911470-9AE8-4DE5-801D-70FC9C0D5304 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swampfire.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/next-pinball-depression-?tu=swampfire and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.