Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 148 posts
  • 59 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by scooter75
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DE911470-9AE8-4DE5-801D-70FC9C0D5304 (resized).jpeg
    20210625_230206 (resized).jpg
    20210625_215147.jpg
    F3849C95-7AB6-4C85-930B-6213DAD80512 (resized).jpeg
    325F134B-469E-41BA-91AA-32559F94068F (resized).jpeg
    A9F3A662-29D1-43B4-9A01-6487109B67DE (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sunnrat.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#96 2 years ago

So to summarize this whole thread: Pinball will surely die if we don't connect it to the internet for our children.

Got it.

#100 2 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

Ah hyperbole, always such a strong argument. We are just saying it might be nice to expand a little try something to bring in other generations. I personally don’t think Paw Patrol theme is the way to go. Adding some basic online elements that are standard in every game, app, device and social media platform might not be a bad idea

No offense, but the with abundance of games, apps, devices and social media platforms in our technology-obsessed world, i'd like to see that all stuff just kinda fuck off and not carry over into something that really doesn't need it in the first place.

#118 2 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

The reality is there are generations of consumers that it’s an integral part of their existence.

Yes, but the average consumer who is already online isn't typically gonna go and buy a 10k pinball machine just to satisfy their social needs. Their cellphone already does that for them. Pinball has never had to rely on these consumers. It has always been operators, bar/establishment owners, and hobbyists in general that help keep it available and accessible for people to enjoy and it still continues to be that way.

It seems only in recent years that home owners have decided pinball cannot survive without appealing to the younger generation, so therefore we must change this thing that has existed for over 100 years, because as much as they claim to like it, for some reason it's still not good enough. It's not the end of the world if some kids don't give a shit about pinball, but somewhere else, someone's kid does, and it just so happens to represent a nice break away from today's online obsessed world, at least just for a moment. That should mean something.

Quoted from Darscot:

There are parts of it that would be very cool and fun and really help grow the industry.

If we are trying to reach folks who will supposedly only enjoy pinball if we modernize it to fit their technological needs by showcasing familiar elements of online content, then we are no longer promoting pinball, but rather just another online device that just so happens to include pinball parts and mechs that will eventually require maintenance that general consumers want nothing to do with. Average consumers have short attention spans, get bored of whatever the latest thing is and move on to the next. I think most consumers within the general public are satisfied enough playing on location, taking a selfie with a game and moving on. You can apply all the good things about technology you want, but the moment something goes wrong with a pinball machine and they come to the realization that you have to take care of it, spend more money on it, etc, it then becomes an inconvenience and they will eventually want nothing to do with it. If there is one thing that todays average consumer hates, it's inconvenience.

Quoted from Darscot:

There is no reason to fear technology and progression.

I don't fear technology, but what bothers me is the notion that because it is standard and commonplace, it should therefore be integrated among various other forms of entertainment and novelty just because people are addicted to the internet and can't get enough of being online all the time. So therefore now we have to change what pinball has always been so we can cater to a typically non-pinball society that will supposedly take it to new heights?

#123 2 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

There is no reason for these extreme scenarios..

Yeah, but pinball will die because no internet!

Quoted from Darscot:

The whole point of adding this type of technology is, if you don’t want to use it, don’t.

Ok.

Quoted from Darscot:

The reason so many products do it is because it’s fun, it provides added value and enjoyment. It does wonders for the longevity of a product.

Pinball is already fun. And i'm pretty sure the longevity is already there. But if you really need it to make pinball fun for you, alright cool. That's great.

Quoted from Darscot:

You guys sure get your knickers in a knot about a theoretical conversation that would have zero impact on pinball for you. You guys are just miserable Scooby Do villains, those damn kids.

Funny. I was born in '84, but yeah, perhaps it's time now for this miserable old millennial to get offline and play some pinball, but first I gotta get the knot out of these knickers! Sheesh!

#125 2 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

No one is saying pinball is going to die and the internet is its only hope. Why the need for this drama. Ease up on the extremes. I think some modern tech would be fun. I thought it would be better than something drastic like a theme that targets a complete different demographic. I know this a lot of controversy to dig through.

The only drama tonight is missing the triple stack and getting this crap score on BSD!

Pinball depression IS real.
    20210625_230206 (resized).jpg20210625_230206 (resized).jpg

#130 2 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

No one is saying pinball is going to die and the internet is its only hope. Why the need for this drama. Ease up on the extremes. I think some modern tech would be fun. I thought it would be better than something drastic like a theme that targets a complete different demographic. I know this a lot of controversy to dig through.

Quoted from swampfire:

Absolutely nobody in this thread has said that. Ya’ll need to lighten up. It’s not going to destroy pinball if someone connects a pin to a server.
    Let’s get back to talking about bad theme ideas, like Thomas the Tank Engine.

No, but initially this thread started out with the general idea that pinball will need kids to like it for it to continue on and survive whatever it is the OP was alluding to and you arrived with "there are things pinball needs to do" with the 'modernization' and 'persistant data' and everything else you think pinball is supposed to have now.

Perhaps it's hard to grasp when someone uses an obviously exaggerated statement, but it pretty much sums up where you guys took this thread.

#134 2 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

Why the need for this drama.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sunnrat.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/next-pinball-depression-?tu=sunnrat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.