Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 148 posts
  • 59 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by scooter75
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DE911470-9AE8-4DE5-801D-70FC9C0D5304 (resized).jpeg
    20210625_230206 (resized).jpg
    20210625_215147.jpg
    F3849C95-7AB6-4C85-930B-6213DAD80512 (resized).jpeg
    325F134B-469E-41BA-91AA-32559F94068F (resized).jpeg
    A9F3A662-29D1-43B4-9A01-6487109B67DE (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bublehead.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#63 2 years ago

The younger generations only get excited about pinball when they see someone good playing the machines, just like when I was a kid watching older players. It seemed like magic, this guy could line up and hit any shot in the machine. He could drop catch, bounce pass, post pass, bang back, kick save, slide save, slap save, death save. It was like he was some kind of wizard... he walked away leaving 5 credits on the machine, nodded to me and said "Enjoy 'em, kid". If we stop just playing and start worrying about who is or is not playing pinball, it surely will die. Get out and play the machines, make yourself look ridiculous. Play with some flair, with some eccentricity, make some noise. Whoop it up when you are doing good, and roast the players who are sucking. Show people pinball is about having fun, not about worrying when the ride is going to stop and we all have to get off.

#78 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

That all sounds like anti-fun. Pinball has so much fun in it - if you’re bored of what it offers and thinks it needs these video gamey things, maybe pinball isn’t for you.

I agree on the "pinball don't need no video gamey things". That's not going to help sell pinball machines. And head to head only works when playing the same machine at the same time. Now what I could see are co-op modes where the other players successes help advance you towards the next objective.

But how often does someone actually want help? I always considered my game as my accomplishment, and wouldn't a high score in co-op mode require all associated players to enter high score initials? Pinball is a solitary game, it's you against the machine. You compete on score, not advancement into the game.

All this talk about online play going to help keep pinball alive is pure b.s. in my book. They could have been doing it a long time ago with virtual pinball where every machine IS IDENTICAL, and they still haven't done that yet on a large scale basis. I don't think it will catch on anytime soon until you change how we keep score, how you measure success, or how you could actually compete across the net without cheating going on.

#88 2 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Rarehero and Bublehead in 2002: “Why in the world would anybody want to record a show and watch it later?”

A little off on your timeline... video taping was invented in 1951, and VHS was introduced in 1976. I owned one in 1981 and had a Betamax before that. Luddite I am not.

Two players, one machine, and the highest score wins. Just like it's been for decades. No amount of online, DLC, co-op, or video gaming b.s. will change that.

#93 2 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

Four 4 player and co-op has been around forever, it so weird to be shaking

I never said I was anti "up to four players can play", my point is pinball is judged on score. Your score, their score. Does getting to the wizard mode first make you the winner?, No, having the highest score does. I lost a tournament where I hit every wizard mode, scored every jackpot I could, and was promptly beaten by a guy who knew a better strategy and never got to the wizard mode at all. So who achieved more, him, or me? He has the trophy, not I.

#104 2 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

your definition of winning.

Score is an industry and universally accepted method of determining the winner of a game of pinball, just like any other points based game. Sorry to be the Debbie Downer on that issue, but it is patently true. Notice I said in my earlier post it will not change until you change HOW pinball is scored. But I'm done taking to the wall on this issue.

#107 2 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

How many pinball tournaments do you remember in the 90’s? Yeah, me neither.

Under what rock have you been living?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bublehead.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/next-pinball-depression-?tu=bublehead and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.