(Topic ID: 125767)

Next pin: Twilight zone or new startrek?

By jid

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 42 posts
  • 35 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by 85Txaggie
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Trying to figure out what the next game should be. I have a STTNG, Monopoly, and Simpsons Party Pinball. Am a huge Trekkie but also like a complex game.

Looking for opinions on which one should be my next game. For those that have played both, any opinions?

Thank you!

Joseph

#2 8 years ago

Do whatever feels right to you. You don't need validation from the interwebs.

They are both complex games but Star Trek is more about hitting the right sequence of shots in the right order to maximize available points. They play pretty differently. Watch some videos or go out and find one somewhere, either of those shouldn't be too hard to find in the wild.

#3 8 years ago

Star Trek Premium/LE

Steve Ritchie is the King of Pinball.

#4 8 years ago

Since you already have a STTNG, I would go TZ. Even though you are a trekkie, the shot map is almost identical between STTNG and ST so, TZ would add a bit more diversity to your collection.

#5 8 years ago

I traded sttng a while back, but ST isn't going anywhere!!!

#6 8 years ago

STLE hands down I picked one up a month ago and can't get enough of it

#7 8 years ago

As a ST Premium owner I would say ST is great - very pretty and fun game with good flow that I like - but if you already have STTNG and have no plan to trade it then go for the Lawlor pin in TZ. I agree with adding some different flavors...

#8 8 years ago

I would definitely pick TZ, but I have a ST and enjoy it. Since you are a huge Star Trek fan, you might be happier with ST. ST is more of a flow game, but TZ is one of the best games ever made IMO.
If it were me, I'd sell STTNG and get both TZ and ST - but that's just my personal preference.

#9 8 years ago

I think either could be a good choice. One factor to consider is that the ST pro is a new game with a warranty and TZ is 20 years old with a lot more potential maintenance issues.

#10 8 years ago

I do enjoy the STTNG, but I could see selling it. I have enjoyed the widebody STTNG but if the game flow is similar to the new one, i could give the new one a try.

No, I don't need the intraweb to tell me what to do. But I love hearing from more experienced pinballers than I.

To frame the types of games I like, I didn't like iron man or T2 (found them both boring). Star Wars Episode 1 was cool but boring. AC/DC I can play forever and it doesn't really do it for me. STTNG keeps me on my toes. I don't have a problem owning 2 star trek games though. Will i play them both? if they are similar i probably wouldn't. But if the new one is awesome then it is a serious contender.

#11 8 years ago

I have a ST pro, STTNG and TZ. If youre a Trek fan you cant go wrong owning both STTNG and ST. Yes the layout is similar but they play COMPLETELY different. TZ is a great game too so you really cant lose either way you go, they are both readily available so it just depends on how much you want to spend.

IMO...go with ST cuz I'm having more fun playing it right now!

#12 8 years ago

I have owned both and Stern ST Premium or LE is a keeper. STTNG is gone.

I also don't like IM or T2. Too simple for my tastes.

SWE1 is a only good for 14 and younger or for on route

#13 8 years ago

You already have STTNG, so you don't need another Star Trek themed game.
And STTNG is a widebody pin (WMS superpin), so you don't need TZ then.
What are your other choices?

#14 8 years ago

I have an STLE I got NIB, and a HEP TZ. Lots of time on both. Both great games, but I'd have to keep TZ if it came down to getting rid of one. STLE is very fast, but not as complex a lay out as TZ, nor does it have the shot variation of TZ. It's not really fair to compare the two, as I said both are great, but totally different. Not looking at apples to apples.

#15 8 years ago

Sounds like you have some strong opinions on certain games. ST is a great game but not everyone likes the way modes are implemented. The main complaint is that all the modes play the same which is kinda true. Variety comes in the way you go about playing the game once you understand the rules. It doesn't hurt that ST has the best light show, great sound, and new code that will help ST stay on top in the ratings.

TZ is very different. I like it but don't know if I will ever spend the big bucks to own one. Lots of stop and go action and a loaded playfield that could be a maintenance nightmare. You could argue it has more variety of shots than ST but they are really completely different kinds of games.

#16 8 years ago

I sold my ST and I do not miss it. I would go for a TZ.

#17 8 years ago

I think you all have truly convinced me. I'm going to try to pick up both. I have been looking for a decent condition twilight zone for a while and I will continue the search. As for a Star Trek, the Pro does not seem that difficult to come by. I just need to make sure I have space for two more.

Thank you all for your opinions and perspectives!

JD

#18 8 years ago

For what it's worth I don't find the gameplay between STTNG and Star Trek at all similar.

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

For what it's worth I don't find the gameplay between STTNG and Star Trek at all similar.

I am a little concerned about this. That being said, I can always sell the STTNG!

#20 8 years ago

I own STLE and STTNG. IMO, even though they are both fan layout, they both play drastically different from one another.

I honestly thought that having both of them would be too much Star Trek and too similar layouts, but I couldn't have been any more wrong.

#21 8 years ago

As a huge star trek fan... I say join the crowd / owners of all the Star Trek Machines made.

#22 8 years ago

Just got my TZ a few months ago. I think it lives up to its reviews. Mines not going anywhere. Awesome game. Plus I'm a fan of the series

#23 8 years ago

Twilight Zone, if for no other reason than the code being finished.

#24 8 years ago

Two awsome games. I have TZ more highly rated and think it's probably the best pin of all time, but if I'm really into bright lights, STLE is my preference for the best light show in pinball, and it helps that the game shoots great too.

I had TZ and have STLE, don't plan no selling my STLE for a super long time, to me TZ was a maintenance problem and I don't fix my own games so I prefer the newer titles as you could guess from my all Stern lineup. Color changing insert lights for the win.

TZ better game, but STLE also very good, but my preferrence to the color changing inserts and side cabinet lightshow.

#25 8 years ago

I own both.
TZ.
Harder to find in great condition and will only get harder. never have to worry about it being remade either.
Star trek will be easy to find for the foreseeable future.

my .02

#26 8 years ago

Since you already own STTNG I would go with TZ over Stern's new ST.

I would ask yourself what type of pinball ruleset you like to play. Going mainly for points or feeling like you are on a mission? While I love TZ the game doesn't make me like I'm on a mission the way games like STTNG, LOTR and the new Stern ST does. If you prefer story based rulesets I would go with the new ST over a TZ. However, TZ is still a blast to play as there's so much to do on the game, has a lot of unique shots and also has some of the coolest toys in pinball.

#27 8 years ago
Quoted from jid:

I think you all have truly convinced me. I'm going to try to pick up both.

The best choice when choosing pins!

#28 8 years ago

tz by a light year, played the pro st and it was good but there is a reason tz is at the top of every ranking...

#29 8 years ago

Just an update... ordered the ST today. But looking for a TZ still. I remember when I thought 1 pin was a lot... I only have 3 now but 5 will be perfect!

#30 8 years ago
Quoted from jid:

I only have 3 now but 5 will be perfect!

Quoting this for future posterity so we can laugh when you go past 5.

#31 8 years ago

TZ knocks new ST out of the water so much it's not even funny.

#32 8 years ago
Quoted from The_Director:

TZ knocks new ST out of the water so much it's not even funny.

That's a matter of opinion, and you know what they say about opinions....lol

#33 8 years ago

If you can budget it, please go for the prem/LE. The light show alone is worth the upgrade. It's absolutely phenomenal especially after the last update. Especially if you're a TREK fan.

#34 8 years ago
Quoted from jid:

Just an update... ordered the ST today. But looking for a TZ still. I remember when I thought 1 pin was a lot... I only have 3 now but 5 will be perfect!

I think you mean 5 will fit perfectly in your house before you have to move/renovate.

#35 8 years ago

I had an ST Pro. It was like chopping wood. I'm on my second TZ. Only reason I sold the first one was to buy the second CQ one. TZ forever!

TZ>ST/STTNG

#36 8 years ago

These two games really couldn't be any different. TZ is wide body, stop and go, and while it isn't slow it also isn't the fastest of games.

ST is flow, flow, flow...speed...pulse rising speed...

I'm a big Lawlor fan, but TZ didn't last long in my collection. I absolutely love my ST. Can't see it going anywhere for a while (the pro can really be dressed up with some cool mods).

Just my 2cents

#37 8 years ago

Stern Star Trek is on the top of my short want list....... TZ is one of the few games I dislike. Based on that, ST is the way to go

#39 8 years ago

TZ...all time classic.

#40 8 years ago

Well, you mentioned you are a trekkie. A lot of trekkies I know didn' t like the rebooted franchise so much. (I'm not one of them, anything space-related on the big screen gets my money) So long as you don't fall in that category I don't think you could go wrong with either pin.

I have both STTNG and ST Premium. They are definitely different games so I don't think the overlap would have you too Trek'd out. Neither of mine are going anywhere. That said, TZ I think is better in terms of long-term playability.

Again, I love my ST Premium but TZ has the reputation and standing on the top 100 for a good reason, it's a next-level sort of game to keep you coming back long after the great sound and light of ST Premium have faded in novelty - wish I had one in my collection.

#41 8 years ago

I have both, and both are great games. However, I'd go with Star Trek Premium/LE. It is a blast and I keep going back to it.

#42 8 years ago

Sell STTNG, Buy both TZ and Stern ST.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 14.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

9,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Corona, CA
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 12.95
Gameroom - Decorations
pinballmod

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/next-pin-twilight-zone-or-new-startrek and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.