Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by Mando
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

Ok I was asking about this before but let me open it up to a wider variety. I want a second machine, want something with depth, long ball times, a little more stop and go. Something that's a bit of an adventure with lots of things to accomplish before I get the wizard mode. I have NGG which is great fun but fast and not super deep. So I want it polar opposite was hoping to come in under 2k. LOTR would be perfect but unless I can find a good deal on one it too much $$$. I would be willing to spring for a nice one but not at $3500+. So what's a good compromise?

#2 12 years ago

RFM. Think about it.

#3 12 years ago

Not a whole lot of super deep games for under $2K usually. Mostly talking the Sterns which some of the older less poular ones can be had for around that price RBION or Rollercoaster Tycoon. I honestly struggle thinking of deep games for under $2,000, I know there is probably plenty but escaping me right now especially ones that differ from NGG.

#4 12 years ago

Last Action Hero one of the deepest pins ever made

#5 12 years ago

You are describing TSPP to a tee. I'd save up for one of those.

#6 12 years ago

+1 for TSPP
How about The Shadow.
Doug

#7 12 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

You are describing TSPP to a tee. I'd save up for one of those.

TSPP is nowhere near $2k. Doesn't help the OP.

BUT... I can recommend WPT. Super deep, wizard modes upon wizard modes and strategic decisions on many levels with every shot (Keefer's rules), great flow (Steve Ritchie). You can make it more stop-and-go by leaving the ramp posts enabled in the settings, or disable them for flop/turn for faster gameplay. The shots are great, mostly tough long shots with an open pf that has a ton of drop targets. And a great mini-pf that plays well. And if you like stacking multiballs, this game is for you.

Best (and deepest) game you can get for around $2k, period.

#8 12 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

...and you can make it more stop-and-go by leaving the ramp posts enabled in the settings, or disable them for flop/turn for faster gameplay.

I played this last week and the one thing i didn't like was the way it stopped the balls like that.
Cool you can change it.

RBION may be a stretch for 2K...but it has what you're looking for.

#9 12 years ago

Cool I will keep an eye out for a rbion , wpt was on my list to consider a local shop has one. I hear mixed reviews. I could afford a tspp or maybe even a lotr but it's more of if I should be spending that kinda $$$ right now.

#10 12 years ago
Quoted from MMuller:

Last Action Hero one of the deepest pins ever made

Ya, the OP has it on his wish list.

#11 12 years ago

There is a lah coming available around here from a shop so maybe that's a good choice.

#12 12 years ago

Steven P Now that I read your post again I am very I interested in WPT. I like the strategy and stacking etc.... Like I said looking for the opposite of what I have in NGG which I love btw They are having an open house at this shop in less than a month both LAH and WPT will be there so it will give me a chance to try them both. Hopefully it's not sold by then

#13 12 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

Steven P Now that I read your post again I am very I interested in WPT. I like the strategy and stacking etc.... Like I said looking for the opposite of what I have in NGG which I love btw They are having an open house at this shop in less than a month both LAH and WPT will be there so it will give me a chance to try them both. Hopefully it's not sold by then

NGG is a lot of fun, some interesting shots and good humor. Honestly, WPT has been my favorite game since it arrived here, and I have a LOTR and CV next to it. WPT is great for home where you can make sure it's clean and set it up nicely (drop targets working, posts disabled, etc.). And it takes a while to understand the subtleties of the many rules and shots. It's crazy how strategic this game is. For example, there are 2 ramps that advance the holdem hands, but one goes to the upper pf and one doesn't. You can get a MB with enough spinner/orbit shots that build the main pot, but finishing a holdem hand collects the pot. And the 3-second 3x shots from the inlanes are important to save and use just when you need them. Plus a TON of other interacting strategies.

TheLaw, you can also remove the top left orbit gate (2 screws) to have the orbits flow both ways. (Steve Ritchie suggested this mod.)

WPT was designed by Steve Ritchie (all-time great designer), incredibly deep rules by Keefer (of LOTR/TSPP/WOF fame, and also my #1 pin programmer), and killer sound by Chris Granner (shredding guitar riffs). What's not to like? (OK, apart from the creepy translite by Brian Rood.) I don't understand why this game can be had for around $2k, but it's a steal at this price point. If I had to get rid of my entire collection but one, I'd keep WPT--a no-brainer for me. If you spend more time with it, you'll just get sucked in deeper. And it's friendly for beginners, with the open pf design.

#14 12 years ago

Wow I'm sold lol !! Need to find one to play

#15 12 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

I can recommend WPT.

Either you really love this game, or your getting a percentage from every sale. I've never played this pin and your the only one I ever see recommending it(quite a bit actually). It has got to be one of the ugliest pins of all time, but I am intrigued about the game play. Maybe I'll get lucky and there will be one at Allentown.

#16 12 years ago

+1 on the RBION.
It would be high up on my list of pins in that price range.

#17 12 years ago

Haha yea I got to admit haven't heard many who like that one...but I would like to give it a run. The only thing that would worry me is I would like to get machines people like so if I want to trade I don't lose out

#18 12 years ago
Quoted from NimblePin:

+1 on the RBION.
It would be high up on my list of pins in that price range.

Make that +2 NP.

#19 12 years ago

Yea been playing that one on my iPad really like it. I like how you have many different continents and have to hit various shots to collect "ripleys" I like that you must hit the shots to get the letter a lot of games you get the mode if you make the shot or not. Can't seem to find one right now though will have to keep an eye out. Any others like this? WPT looks cool too, but seems like the same shots over and over no? Left left left for your hand?

#20 12 years ago
Quoted from Honch:

StevenP said:I can recommend WPT.
Either you really love this game, or your getting a percentage from every sale. I've never played this pin and your the only one I ever see recommending it(quite a bit actually). It has got to be one of the ugliest pins of all time, but I am intrigued about the game play. Maybe I'll get lucky and there will be one at Allentown.

No percentage here. Maybe it's just me, but in all honesty, my other pins don't get much play since WPT arrived. (That includes a CV and LOTR.) When I want to play a bit of pinball, WPT gets turned on first the majority of the time. (Often the only one I fire up.) This game has it all for me: open, straightforward pf surrounded by drop targets (hints of Hyperball and old pool-themed EMs), a tricky upper mini-pf (reminiscent of Genie, Grand Lizard and others), primary shots that are near the top of the pf, long and satisfying (a taste of AFM and others here) and wailing around the orbits repeatedly at high speed is both fun and rewarding.

The modes and shot rules in WPT are genius: complex, interacting, deep as all heck, and they use the pf features incredibly well. (This is *not* like most recent Sterns where you just have different inserts in front of the main shots to hit when lit!) The simplicity of the playfield belies this complexity. Many shots affect or lead to 2 or more things, and you may want both or may want top avoid 1--usually alternate shots are available for the combo of effects you want. And the MB and mode stacking is just sick--get one or more MBs going when starting Change Gears mode and the scoring is insane; "Add Time" to go over the top, pointswise. I just set mine to "Extra Easy" rules and 5-ball, and the stacking and action are over the top. Trying to get to the Keefer Invitational (the mega-wizard mode), which is still a serious challenge at these settings.

I just don't understand why this game isn't far more popular than it is. Maybe you need to spend enough time on it to "get" the rules and be drawn into the strategy? (It's far more than locking balls in the mini-pf "jail" for Ace in the Hole MB!) Anybody who likes deep pins should own this game--that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it!

BTW, I just saw a WPT posted for sale in NJ, near Philly (on rgp) for $2k. Best $2k you can spend on a pin IMO.

#21 12 years ago

I'll chime in on WPT. I was surprised how much I liked it when I played it for several hours on location. I think its definitely a great bang/buck game. Its can be deep and complicated but its easy to understand the ruleset if you like Texas Hold'em.

#22 12 years ago

OK well I ended up going way over budget and got a LOTR...routed but quite nice..and at a good price! Love the game! I will get a chance to play a WPT in a couple of weeks, if I like it will put it on my list. I figure will be easier to find one of those down the road at a fair price than LOTR

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bellefonte, PA
$ 58.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Warwick, RI
€ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 38.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 18.95
€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 18.95
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

5,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tucson, AZ
€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/next-pin-suggestion and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.