Topic Stats

• 40 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by WIKED
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

chosen.gif

#1 3 years ago

Looking for next pin and my interest are these two....if priced equally which would you go for? You guys and gals are great help that is why I ask when spending chunks of cash like this!

#2 3 years ago

I love them both, but IJ would be my first choice hands down. I like that IJ has a ton of modes and several video modes, so for me that's what sets it above.

#3 3 years ago

IJ. Lots of fun modes both play and video. Cool POA side playfield. I am a fan of the franchise and the movies and sounds orchestrate beautifully with the game.

#4 3 years ago

IJ. A deep game that requires multiple skills. TOM is shoot the trunk / shoot ramps...over and over and over.

#5 3 years ago

I say go with IJ. TOM is sweet but it dose get a bit old.
That being said that trunk sure can take a pounding.
Please don't tell my TOM that I voted for IJ.

#7 3 years ago

IJ for the win!!!

#8 3 years ago

Thanks guys! Seems pretty clear which is favorite!

#9 3 years ago

IJ. Awesome.
TOM. Beautiful but will become a borefest.
You'll keep IJ but sell TOM in less than a year.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from BladeFury:

Thanks guys! Seems pretty clear which is favorite!

Yeah...you can thank us the first time you get Well of Souls multiball and a seemingly endless supply of balls start shooting out of everywhere. Classic stuff.

#11 3 years ago

I just got done giving my IJ a little love. I found a shop out secret I never knew, I always cleaned a polished ramps but never waxed them. O m g the POA ramp during multiball flies up it to collect with total ease. Where before only 1/2 the time would I make it all the way. Wowwzer

#12 3 years ago

For me TOM is the better game. IJ has way to many video modes for my taste.

#13 3 years ago

IJ. TOM is beautiful and fun but I think would get repetitious at home

#14 3 years ago

If you want an easy game that anyone can play, look at cool lighting effects and be mesmerized by them, get ToM. If you really want to play challenging pinball and not be bored silly in a month, don't.

#16 3 years ago

Both are great pins, but I like TOM

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

For me TOM is the better game. IJ has way to many video modes for my taste.

I'm not sure we can talk anymore.

#18 3 years ago

Both really good games, but be aware that if you are going for points (trying to win in any competition or high score) IJ boils down to this: Lock 3 balls -> play multiball and go for Super Jackpots. None of the modes matter, even though there are a lot of them and they are cool.

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from T7:

Both really good games, but be aware that if you are going for points (trying to win in any competition or high score) IJ boils down to this: Lock 3 balls -> play multiball and go for Super Jackpots. None of the modes matter, even though there are a lot of them and they are cool.

They do. You have to complete them all to get to Eternal Life multiball, hit every shot, and collect your super mega ultra jackpot to beat the game. That's where the real points are...you just want to fire up multiballs along the way as well. That's like saying the modes in ACDC don't matter. They do if you want to get to Encore, and each mode can get you a pantload of points. Who at home is playing in a competition? It's ALL about the modes.

#20 3 years ago

I found IJ to be clunky. TOM, on the other hand, had great flow, better ramps, and was less maintenance than the IJ mini P.I.T.A. playfield.

I sold both, but only kept TOM for 6 months.

#21 3 years ago

Mark Ritchie
John Popadiuk

#22 3 years ago
Quoted from cumulonimbus:

I sold both, but only kept TOM for 6 months.

Scratch that: I only kept IJ for 6 months...............(I should not drink Stoli while I reply on Pinside)

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Who at home is playing in a competition?

That's probably a key difference - I play in multiple leagues and we set the games up pretty hard with no extra balls. In league you better get a good score on 3 balls or that's it, so you really can't afford to go for the final wizard mode. In a league scenario there is only one way to play IJ, and it gets very repetitive. If you can get over trying to get the best score on every game, it's much more fun. But it's also fun to do well in league, so my 'practice' games I still tend to play with the same goal as in league.

#24 3 years ago

All good points. But this guy is asking about a machine for home, not in a league. I think TOM would get boring in a home setting...and I want to kill myself every time the girl says, "MAGIC!!!"

#25 3 years ago

This one is not even close. IJ by a mile.

#26 3 years ago

chosen.gif

#28 3 years ago

I got a really,really nice IJ listed in the market place. I really need to sell it to make room for the kiss. I normally would not sell it but I have got to get a kiss even if it turns out to be a crappy pin. I really like kiss,so I gotta have it.

#29 3 years ago

IJ all day long

#30 3 years ago

I have to agree with the majority: IJ.

#32 3 years ago

I have both. I say Tom. But close to a tie. Tom due to flow.

#33 3 years ago

Very different machines.

TOM is an elegant, beautiful pinball machine with some of the fastest shots and flow on any machine. It's like water. I agree that it doesn't have a ton of mode depth, but every single shot feels good. I really mean that. It has a lot of shots and they all feel good. I have never cared that I didn't complete all the modes. Also, the multiball is a ton of fun, and sinking the shot into the trunk isn't easy.

IJ is a super pin, so it has a lot of toys, and a lot of modes. It's not particularly fast, but it's really fun to play. The POA is great, as are the ramps, but it doesn't have the same flow that TOM does.

It depends on what you want and what you like. Both are top-tier pins for a good reason. I don't think you can go wrong on either.

Marc

#34 3 years ago

+1 for IJ

As for tournament players. In a home setting you have the option to simply avoid the super jackpots and play modes instead. No need to make it boring if you're not in a tournament.

#35 3 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

IJ is a super pin, so it has a lot of toys, and a lot of modes. It's not particularly fast, but it's really fun to play. The POA is great, as are the ramps, but it doesn't have the same flow that TOM does.

I resemble this remark. My IJ, before I sent it off to HEP, was so fast the balls kept flying off the ramps and blowing the propeller off my plane. And then there's the friggin' airballs off the standup targets. For a widebody, I think you can get it to play extremely fast. And the ramps have a relatively quick return...and that orbit shot comes back at you so fast, it's easy to spaz out and drain.

But yes...TOM has great flow as well!

#36 3 years ago

I own both... tough call. If 1 had to go, it would be TOM.

#37 3 years ago

IJ!

#38 3 years ago

IJ!!!!

TOM went bye-bye...

#39 3 years ago

indy all day, Tom is good but indy is great....

#40 3 years ago

I own both and I love both but if one had to go then it's see you later TOM time.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Bright Lights Pinball
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 21.00
$ 279.95
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D MODS
$ 32.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middleburg, FL
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 47.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 16.00
$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D MODS
$ 28.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 399.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Greeley, CO
$ 129.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
6,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Kingston, NY
$ 254.99
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside