• 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by PinMonk
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

woz-boards (resized).jpg

There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 7 years ago

Ok, so I bought an Indiana Jones two years ago from a local business and the bug hit hard. One STTNG and a Twilight Zone later and before I knew it I have three. I figure I can squeeze another one (maybe two) into the Gameroom so I'm looking to buy another one. I need some advice on my next game in terms of fun game, good theme, and one that doesn't get old. My short list is Wizard of Oz, Ghosbusters, Kiss, or AC/DC. So, of those four games I would like some pros and cons from anyone that owns these titles. Which one would be your pick and why? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bob...

#2 7 years ago

I can only really comment on acdc as ive played it the most and owned a pro. Acdc is awesome if you want a fast adreneline pumping game. Its all about high scores and points.

Woz ive played a few times and its slower paced. Its more about a journey than getting a high score. Lots to do and it would keep you entertained for a while.

Kiss and gb i didnt play enough to comment on.

Out of woz and acdc do you want a slower paced game with adventure to it or a heart pumping adreneline rush that mostly focuses on getting points.

#3 7 years ago

I'm not sure I'd purchase a Stern right now with all the QC problems their having now, unless you're lucky enough to get one from a pinsider that hasn't exhibited any.

#4 7 years ago

AC/DC should be fine, you can't get one from Stern, anyway...

#5 7 years ago

Hi Bob

Just my .02 worth butvhere goes. Wizard of Oz is a fun game. Would love to be able to find one that I can afford. Actually been thinking about tradingtwo or three of my collection for a woz. Don't think you can go tonwrong there

As far as Kiss goes, have not played but have read too maybposts on those that are very disappointed with the game due to poor code. Probably get one of these rather inexpensively

AC/DC can't go wrong. Great game.

Ghost busters again have not played but reviews seem to be mixed. Personally does not do anything for me.

Might also consider Metallica or a Medievel Madness

Just my .02 worth

#6 7 years ago

I'd pick up a HUO The Walking Dead, and then consider a Lord of the Rings and/or The Simpsons Pinball Party

#7 7 years ago

^^^^^second that lotr. Probably get one cheaper than most other machines mentioned and its such an awesome pin. Good luck!

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from bursits:

Ok, so I bought an Indiana Jones two years ago from a local business and the bug hit hard. One STTNG and a Twilight Zone later and before I knew it I have three. I figure I can squeeze another one (maybe two) into the Gameroom so I'm looking to buy another one. I need some advice on my next game in terms of fun game, good theme, and one that doesn't get old. My short list is Wizard of Oz, Ghosbusters, Kiss, or AC/DC. So, of those four games I would like some pros and cons from anyone that owns these titles. Which one would be your pick and why? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Bob...

I like most of these games, used to own a TZ and now have a WoZ and GB. I mention the TZ because sometimes games go well paired. I love having both GB and WoZ as they are very different. WoZ is deep, beautiful, somewhat slow and can have long ball times. GB is fast, very hard, and not too serious/more humor.

I tend to play GB more, mainly because sometimes I'm just not up for a more involved game. But, I think WoZ is the better game and would certainly be different given your collection. So, taking into account your collection, consider what kind of game would round it out. AC/DC is very good, but not much into the band turned pins as a whole, so can't really comment there.

#9 7 years ago

Have you played all of the games? If not, which have you not played?

#10 7 years ago

I was able to play just two games each of gb and kiss. As for the woz I literally played one ball. Didn't even finish a whole game. I was really impressed with the theme but wish I had played it more. All of those games were spaced out over a couple months. I'd love to find a place that had them side by side so I could play them all the same day. I'm leaning towards the woz but still not sure.

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from bursits:

I was able to play just two games each of gb and kiss. As for the woz I literally played one ball. Didn't even finish a whole game. I was really impressed with the theme but wish I had played it more. All of those games were spaced out over a couple months. I'd love to find a place that had them side by side so I could play them all the same day. I'm leaning towards the woz but still not sure.

You could almost get a TSPP and LOTR for the price of one WOZ.........

#13 7 years ago

Never was a big fan of LOTR movies but I guess I'll have to give that game a look.

#14 7 years ago

Look at P3 and/or Heighway and that last game slot could=unlimited games with their 5 minute play field swaps.

#15 7 years ago

There is a bunch of games at boxcar bar and arcade in Raleigh. When I was buying my hobbit I went there and spent a few hours on it to decide between it and GB. I think there was almost every game you are looking for in within the city of Raleigh, FYI.

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

I'm not sure I'd purchase a Stern right now with all the QC problems their having now, unless you're lucky enough to get one from a pinsider that hasn't exhibited any.

Are we gonna have to see posts like this in every Stern thread from now on? It's getting old and has nothing to do with the OP's question.

WOZ (clunky widebody with stupid rules and obnoxious outlane games) and Ghostbusters (terrible, unrefined layout with clumsy airballs and drains aplenty) kind of suck, so I'd say KISS or AC/DC. AC/DC is the one I'd want, as the music, software, and band are all better in my opinion. Both have pretty average, seen 'em before layouts but who cares.

#17 7 years ago

I've played all of those extensively except KISS. I own GB and WOZ. I like them both a lot more than AC/DC. both are fantastic for a home collection because of how challenging they are -- GB because it's a drain monster, and WOZ because it's one of the deepest rulesets ever devised.

If I had to choose, it would be WOZ without hesitation. I love all the mechs and complexity to the playfield, and it has the most amazing light show ever put on a pin.

Of course, GB is like half the price, though, so factor than that in however you like. It's super fun, as well.

I always found ACDC's layout to be very boring and the rule set kind of arbitrary and uninteresting.

#18 7 years ago

I own a WOZ and love it (however, I can only compare to AC/DC which I played once)

I like to compare WOZ to TZ mainly because, for me at least, with both games, they never get old. there is soo much going on that when you play you can really pick your strategy, what do you want to do/play for.

Honestly, I'm not even a huge fan of the movie, haha (my wife is though) but its just such a classy timeless theme, it just works for me.

The one time I did play AC/DC, I had a blast and dug the music, so I am not taking anything away from that machine.

Good luck on the decision!

#19 7 years ago

I did see the Boxcar Bar up in Raleigh. It's about 3 hours away from me but I'm gonna have to get up there one day. I really appreciate all the input so far.

#20 7 years ago

At least wait and check out ALIEN.

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from maf-mi:

At least wait and check out ALIEN.

He might want to buy a new pin sometime this year.

#22 7 years ago

I have not owned any of these 4 machines, but I have played them all. I am a fellow owner of a STTNG, and own 4 others as well. This is my humble opinion on your short list:

Wizard of Oz - Absolutely love this game. It is beautiful, has deep game play, and doesn't seem to ever get old. Each game I have played has been totally different. It is on my want list for sure. The only negative thing I can say is that it's very expensive and not my all time favorite movie in the world.

Ghosbusters - A lot of fun and great theme if you get to play long enough. This one is a favorite movie theme of mine. The game is very mean though. Many games have ended very quickly due to outlanes and SDTM balls. I do get a little tired of hearing the line, "Ok, who brought the dog?" The first 20 times I laughed, but then it got old. If you get past this mode, it is more enjoyable. If I bought this machine, I would not get the pro. It is worth the extra money for the extras.

Kiss - I hated this game. I played 2 games on it and didn't enjoy them at all. Nothing was exciting in the game play or on the play field. It is very plain and layed out like an older game. It was just boring. Still like the band though.

AC/DC - This game is a lot of fun. Have to get a premium or LE though. Must have the under play field for sure. I have not had the opportunity to play this one as much as WOZ or GB, but I have enjoyed all the games I played on it. That said, I still like the other 2 more. It is not my favorite band either, so that would make me not buy this machine.

#23 7 years ago

I have owned AC/DC Pro and it's a really good game, really fast and fun, typical Steve Ritchie. I currently own a WOZRR and I really like it but it's pretty much the polar opposite of AC/DC, slow and methodical, more like Twilight Zone in my opinion.

So the questions between those two is what are you looking for? Do you want another widebody? Or looking to mix it up a bit?

BTW I'm not far from you, you are definitely welcome to come by and play some WOZ if you like.

#24 7 years ago

So far, I think if I were to go with a rock theme the AC/DC wins out over Kiss. So I've shortened the list. Skywelker.... that is a very nice offer. I may take you up on that someday. Myrtle Beach is terrible for finding games on location to play. I absolutely love my TZ so from what I'm hearing WOZ is going to be a similar type of game.

#25 7 years ago

WOZ and TZ are similar in that the rulesets are deep, but I feel like TZ is more of a stop and go style gameplay, that can be fast and punishing if you don't have control of the ball. WOZ on the other hand, is a slower paced game altogether, that has a beautiful light show on the table and tons of things to do. Not nearly as punishing as TZ is, but still a great game nonetheless.

Gameplay wise, they are not similar at all. I know these aren't mentioned on your list, but both LOTR and TWD have deep rulesets and are very fast playing games. I'm not a huge fan of KISS or GB; just never did it for me. I haven't played ACDC so can't comment on that.

#26 7 years ago

Keep the wide bodies rolling in. I have WOZ and it's amazing. I have owned a acdc and it's a great game. However the acdc music drove me crazy. I'm not their biggest fan. I sold it to a friend who appreciates it more. Kiss and GB are okay but not up to Woz and acDC standards. Lotr, met and twd are 3 of sterns best if you are looking for other options.

#27 7 years ago

I vote WOZ because it is my favorite game. I purchased it without ever having played it on the recommendation of a buddy and I don't regret it at all. Great theme, beautiful pin and deep ruleset that will not get old in a home setting. I also own a Ghostbusters and love it too. I haven't played the other two so I admit I am biased to some degree.

#28 7 years ago
Quoted from bursits:

Find some pinball shows, museums or arcades and play as many games as possible over a few month. Eventually you figure out what you like. Some games seem really cool at first but get boring after a while, others have more staying power. For me, I think I like Dialed-In. But that's only based on 2 games. I need to play it a lot more before I am ready to make an $8K commitment.

#29 7 years ago

It is really only between AC/DC and WOZ, and my feedback is WOZ for home collection - not even close. I own IJ, TAF, and other Williams games, along with WOZ, and the last game i would get rid of is WOZ.

#30 7 years ago

Might as well get WoZ to match your other three widebody games

ACDC or GB are good pics though

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from bursits:

I did see the Boxcar Bar up in Raleigh. It's about 3 hours away from me but I'm gonna have to get up there one day. I really appreciate all the input so far.

Raleigh has great arcades. "Level-up Kitchen" is within walking distance to Boxcar and has Fish Tales, Circus Voltaire, Indiana Jones (Williams) and Theater of Magic. Pantana's Pool Hall on Hillsboro st. has also several high end machines.

#32 7 years ago

Only advice I would give is dont buy NIB Sterns

#33 7 years ago

I recommend getting an AC/DC. It is the much better game out of the choices you provided. But the game is so much better in the premium version. Try to find one of those.

#34 7 years ago
Quoted from bursits:

Skywelker.... that is a very nice offer. I may take you up on that someday. Myrtle Beach is terrible for finding games on location to play. I absolutely love my TZ so from what I'm hearing WOZ is going to be a similar type of game.

No problem at all. Same way here in Wilmington, I can think of one place that has more than 2 machines and they are hit or miss at best.

I bought WOZ with maybe 25 games on one ever. I knew I liked it but most games don't last more than 6 months in my house. Right now I'm at 8 I think, we'll see how much longer it lasts

#35 7 years ago

I'd go with a WOZ.

AC/DC is only fun some of the time. It can be super frustrating drain fest on some days and other days it is an adrenaline rush. I feel like WOZ is more consistent with its gameplay. Also AC/DC gets old really fast because the only goal is to score more points and that's it. There isn't really much depth to being within the world under the glass.

Kiss is a much easier game than AC/DC but still needs the code finished. The art and layout are great and the lightshow on the premium is really cool. Hopefully Stern comes thru and gives the game the final polish.

GB - Can't stand it. The layout is really poor and flawed. It is super disappointing because the theme is cool to me but just how clunky it plays. In addition, the roll of the dice as to if you're going to get a playfield where the clearcoat doesn't chip away would make that a no for me.

#36 7 years ago

Well, I guess I'm going with the WOZ. I'll then have to debate between ghostbusters and AC/DC next but I'll save that for later. Now I'm going to start the research for the different machines (EC, RR, Standard) etc... Thanks to all who posted and for the great advice. Anyone who wants to jump in with opinions about which version or differences in models please feel free. Is there anything I should look out for other than newer light boards?

Bob...

#37 7 years ago

Following this tread, as someday I'd like to get a 2nd pin.

#38 7 years ago

If its something you plan to keep long term, I would go with a used ECLE with the newer light boards or a new or used RR

if you tend to swap pins and plan to trade it later, I would try to find a used standard. (the invisi glass is nice, and the shaker is fine, but not musts IMHO, and game play is the same)

if its used, check if the munchkinland PF has the cliffy around the edge, otherwise, check for damage there.

some old PF's also had some clear coming off around the wizard and castle VUK's. so check those areas too.

check the pops, for some odd reason they did not put mylar there on the older machines I believe (but if you ask they will send it to you)

good luck!

#39 7 years ago

Thanks for the input. I believe I would be keeping it for a while so the EC or RR is the way I'd go. So what are the biggest differences between the two versions?

#40 7 years ago
Quoted from bursits:

Thanks for the input. I believe I would be keeping it for a while so the EC or RR is the way I'd go. So what are the biggest differences between the two versions?

EC:

Green armor, has nice looking wood apron, comes with invisiglass (basically, premium glass that doesnt reflect as much light) + shaker motor

RR:

Red armor, "toto" toy, decals on some targets I believe, some would say a nicer topper (personally I like the EC's better). Does not come with invisiglass or shaker, however, many add them on when buying so check if buying used. Regular metal apron.

You really can't go wrong with either. Just do your due diligence if you go for the used EC to really check it out.

#41 7 years ago
Quoted from arcadenerd925:

EC:
Green armor, has nice looking wood apron, comes with invisiglass (basically, premium glass that doesnt reflect as much light) + shaker motor
RR:
Red armor, "toto" toy, decals on some targets I believe, some would say a nicer topper (personally I like the EC's better). Does not come with invisiglass or shaker, however, many add them on when buying so check if buying used. Regular metal apron.
You really can't go wrong with either. Just do your due diligence if you go for the used EC to really check it out.

The Ruby red comes with invisiglass and a shaker.

#42 7 years ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

Sweet, didnt realize they did that now. I would probably just grab one of those then if it was me.

#43 7 years ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

Invisiglass was an add on when I bought my RR.

#44 7 years ago

Man, I love wide bodies, but you seriously need a standard size pin IMO.

I would pick AC/DC, GB OR Kiss personally.

#45 7 years ago
Quoted from bursits:

Well, I guess I'm going with the WOZ. I'll then have to debate between ghostbusters and AC/DC next but I'll save that for later. Now I'm going to start the research for the different machines (EC, RR, Standard) etc... Thanks to all who posted and for the great advice. Anyone who wants to jump in with opinions about which version or differences in models please feel free. Is there anything I should look out for other than newer light boards?
Bob...

My only advice now that you've made the correct choice is get a LATE RUN ECLE OR A RR/Standard. The early light boards on the ECLE are a complete disaster once they start to fail and converting all the boards over to the newer buffered boards is a pain and expensive (even with a price break from JJP). To convert over all the light boards of an early out of warranty ECLE (they're all out at this point, even with the extensions JJP offered), you're probably looking at $600-$800 and a bunch of hassle. It's a shame because the ECLE have the beautiful direct-printed cabinets, but the light board issues aren't worth the perk.

#46 7 years ago
Quoted from Toasterdog:

Man, I love wide bodies, but you seriously need a standard size pin IMO.

I love wide bodies too, although my Indiana Jones is a stern not wms.

#47 7 years ago

Is there a specific number or date when the EC pins started coming with the updated light boards? Otherwise how can I tell the difference if I'm looking at a used machine?

#48 7 years ago
Quoted from bursits:

Is there a specific number or date when the EC pins started coming with the updated light boards? Otherwise how can I tell the difference if I'm looking at a used machine?

Early games had issues with playfield wear and the artwork chipping off, too. by the time RR came along I think those kinks were resolved.

#49 7 years ago
Quoted from bursits:

You have to look at the boards. There was an intermediate set of 7.5v boards that are marked as such, but that didn't fix the problem. The boards that are buffered have a tiny dense circuit board glued next to one of the connectors on each board (even the single LED ones). The little daughterboard is like 1" x 1/2", or maybe a little smaller. Some machines may have had *some* replaced, but you need to look at ALL the boards and make sure they're the newest style. This is only for an ECLE. If you get a RR version, problems solved.

I've been told that the next run of WoZ will be changed over to Hobbit-style lighting system, which is much more robust.

#50 7 years ago

True, but mine has the 7.5v boards, I only had one blow and the replacement one has the tiny daughter board filter/buffer. havent had a problem since (and that was a few years back give or take)

The first run ones were the 5v boards right? I would steer clear of those.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/next-pin-buy-advice/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.