1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 7,167 posts
  • 672 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by Fezmid
  • Topic is favorited by 92 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 888 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

9C575F0A-1D88-44CA-9EB8-6B444307CEA7 (resized).jpeg
20180726_193050 (resized).jpg
IMG_20180619_202938 (resized).jpg
IMG_20180626_061913 (resized).jpg
20180625_090851 (resized).jpg
20180625_090605 (resized).jpg
IMG_0386 (resized).JPG
EC0D26C9-4574-415D-85B3-9B8AC424589E (resized).jpeg
20180622_172513 (resized).jpg
20180622_201032 (resized).jpg
imdnleft (resized).jpg
20180615_080358 (resized).jpg
20180615_082932 (resized).jpg
B3C07D25-C1F2-4A4F-9BDF-F758588C8983.jpeg
223B7221-E31D-4DD6-AF17-E004561A8EA4.jpeg
581BFB86-9401-4BAE-BAAF-167FF9B5E995.jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

22 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 7167 posts in this topic. You are on page 65 of 144.
#3201 1 year ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

I’m curious if this a widespread practice and if I should be doing this...when your balls get scratched up do you just re-tumble them? I assume unless there’s a big nick or deep scratch you can keep tumbling them?

That’s right. Usually try to do them as soon as they start to lose their mirror like sheen. Eventually you’ll get balls that come out of the tumbler with shiny flat facets all over them, then it’s time to recycle them.

#3202 1 year ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

I’m curious if this a widespread practice and if I should be doing this...when your balls get scratched up do you just re-tumble them? I assume unless there’s a big nick or deep scratch you can keep tumbling them?

I tumble all balls twice per year for three days with walnut and some polish. 95% of the balls go back into the machines glossy. 5% have gouges or start to show signs of the disco ball effect. I give the damaged ones to kids that play the games. A pinball is the ultimate gift, assuming they don't eat it.

#3203 1 year ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Well, if you are tumbling your balls yourself then that’s a different story. how many people have a tumbler and do this??

Anyone that's really into pinball. It's the only way to go.

#3204 1 year ago
Quoted from vireland:

Anyone that's really into pinball. It's the only way to go.

I guess I’m not REALLY into pinball then...LOL.

#3205 1 year ago
Quoted from Fytr:

The Elwins had the Archer prototype in an advanced playable state, complete with rules, code and working mechs long before Stern entered the picture.

It's not running P-ROC, so all the code work wasn't transferable. The working mechs would need to be re-engineered for production use. And so on.

Only on Pinside would I get downvoted for trying to give the team their due.

#3206 1 year ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

I guess I’m not REALLY into pinball then...LOL.

Me either...who sells these.Oh and not to be off topic Iron Maiden Rules!

#3207 1 year ago
Quoted from Slugmeister:

I put my balls in this: amazon.com link »

Feels great, and the results are astounding.

#3208 1 year ago
Quoted from wcbu64:

Sorry, I was busy playing it at ZapCon here in Phoenix. Can’t wait for the Premium/LE reveal!

Me too l like it it, a lot of fast shots up top with flippers. I was able to knock it around 4 times in a row. Had harder times hitting the ramps as played in the middle so much. Still able to hit the ramps when I want too but focused more on the middle, hope the premium has more toys as only thing missing. Played Metallica and still enjoyed it but Maiden plays entirely different. Might be a nice two pin line up. Or Maiden and Star Trek or Star Wars as enjoyed this layouts as well.

#3209 1 year ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

I put my balls in this:
Feels great, and the results are astounding.

#3210 1 year ago
Quoted from Slugmeister:

Harbor freight has a couple models. One of them is about $40 after the 25% off coupon they always run.

#3211 1 year ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Tumbling won’t take out the deeper scratches. It makes the balls look nice and shiny, but the damage to the balls is still there and will continue to damage the pf.

#3213 1 year ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Tumbling won’t take out the deeper scratches. It makes the balls look nice and shiny, but the damage to the balls is still there and will continue to damage the pf.

Meh. Not my experience. Most of the balls clean up nicely. If they are too far gone, into the garbage they go. But polishing them out saves money over time and keeps them looking great, and if the micro burrs on a scratch are taken off to smooth by the polisher (as they are), and the PF is waxed, the PF is not getting damaged.

#3215 1 year ago

So.... pics of Prem/Le monday or tuesday or ?

My bet is Tuesday 13:30

#3216 1 year ago
Quoted from vireland:

Meh. Not my experience. Most of the balls clean up nicely. If they are too far gone, into the garbage they go. But polishing them out saves money over time and keeps them looking great, and if the micro burrs on a scratch are taken off to smooth by the polisher (as they are), and the PF is waxed, the PF is not getting damaged.

As an operator I can understand not wanting to change balls too often. But there is no way walnut media is abrasive enough to smooth scratches/burrs on a steel ball. All its doing is polishing the surface so you don't notice it. If your goal is to make your balls look nice and shiny, then go for it. If you're changing your balls because they are damaged, a tumbler won't make any difference.

#3217 1 year ago

Alright guys, Iron Maiden would be laughing at us pinball nerds debating how to wash and maintain our balls. Lol

#3218 1 year ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Let me first say the pro looks to play fantastic....... but The big thing for me with the pro. ( have not played one ) is the lack of mechanical features.
Looks like it shoots amazing, but not having ANY moving anything seems takes away a bit.
I need some moving parts not just a shooter..... that’s a main reason I’m holding out for a Prem/LE

What moves on metallica Pro? Sparky on a stick???

#3219 1 year ago
Quoted from smassa:

What mover on metallica Pro? Sparky on a stick???

You do have the magnet that interacts with the ball.

#3220 1 year ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Sometimes they are. I’ve bought eight NIB Sterns over the years. Usually their balls are fine, but you occasionally get what look like test balls in your new Stern machine with dents or rust (happened to me twice). It’s not the end of the world, just replace them.
Man, I am going crazy wanting to see the premium IMDN. I am ready to order a pro...but really want to see the premium first. The premium ships in late May right?

Thats true and sometimes i get a bad ball from who ever i order them from. The old balls that Stern used to give you were terribly bad. They are sending better balls now. I still throw pinball lifes balls in my games when i get them but in two occasions i didn't have any and used the balls that the game came with. They looked just fine and were in my games for a year and still looked fine when i took them out and caused no damage at all.

I dont know when the premium ships but i really would just love to see one at least. COME ON STERN......show us the Premium and LE models dammit! Man if i was Stern id at least show a picture of all three models because alot of pro buyers might fo premium instead if they could see the other midels.

#3221 1 year ago
Quoted from cooked71:

As an operator I can understand not wanting to change balls too often. But there is no way walnut media is abrasive enough to smooth scratches/burrs on a steel ball. All its doing is polishing the surface so you don't notice it. If your goal is to make your balls look nice and shiny, then go for it. If you're changing your balls because they are damaged, a tumbler won't make any difference.

Again, not my experience with location machines or my home collection, and I've had a LOT of pins run through my house. Probably well over 100 over the years. If the surface is polished SMOOTH by the media, then who cares about a microintentation? Micro NEGATIVE relief on the ball won't damage a playfield in any case I can think of, nor have ever seen.

And again, if a ball is especially nasty, it just goes in the garbage, but that's maybe 20% of the time. Waxing playfields religiously is the other half of the equation. You can't only polish balls.

#3222 1 year ago
Quoted from thunderking50:

So.... pics of Prem/Le monday or tuesday or ?
My bet is Tuesday 13:30

11:58PM England time would be the ideal release time for Premium pictures. That's 3:58PM Pacific or 5:58PM central. Totally could work.

#3223 1 year ago

Just played this a lot at Zapcon. Best new pin I've played in a very long time, I'm getting one!

#3224 1 year ago

Maiden pro is fantastic. Played one many times and later realized why I enjoyed it so much - it made me feel young again - like I was experiencing pinball for the first time. It creates an aura of newness, freshness and fun... magical!

#3225 1 year ago
Quoted from dts:

That was fast!...

Bring on the haters who will put it in it's "organic" spot.

#3226 1 year ago

Sterns Plan:

1. Release Maiden pro and blow everyone away. Then sell a shit ton of them..

2. Release Maiden LE. Sold Out . Go all out on this and blow the socks off everyone ..

3. Release Maiden PRe.. Go all out on it and sell a shit ton of them.

Everyone is happy... Stern turns up the heat big time on all 3 models..

#3227 1 year ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Sterns Plan:
2. Release Maiden LE. Sold Out . Go all out on this and blow the socks off everyone ..

You forgot "put real service rails back on the Pro."

#3228 1 year ago
Quoted from vireland:

You forgot "put real service rails back on the Pro."

Is it pegs on pro?

#3229 1 year ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Is it pegs on pro?

Starting with maiden all pros will now have full service rails

#3230 1 year ago
Quoted from cooked71:

I also have to disagree with you. There are a few threads on pinside where pinheads show close up photos and even zooms to show what tumbling does. In my experience, it brings the balls back to new, which means that there are still scratches, but they are small enough that the human eyes sees very few of them. It definitely works and is cheaper and probably works out better for the environment.

I know I'm mostly on my own with this one, but I think ball wear on PFs is exaggerated anyway. I've seen machines 100% neglected by operators for years, and the PFs are perfectly fine when cleaned up and buffed.

#3231 1 year ago
Quoted from musketd:

Starting with maiden all pros will now have full service rails

Fantastic..

#3232 1 year ago

Yep only 300-400 markup to get them back lol

#3233 1 year ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Is it pegs on pro?

No, that's what I'm talking about, they ditched the crappy pegs and put real service rails back on the Pro, starting with Iron Maiden. Ridiculous that Stern has cost cut so hard that we're getting excited about SERVICE RAILS, but it's a little progress back in the right direction for Stern.

#3234 1 year ago
Quoted from vireland:

No, that's what I'm talking about, they ditched the crappy pegs and put real service rails back on the Pro, starting with Iron Maiden. Ridiculous that Stern has cost cut so hard that we're getting excited about SERVICE RAILS, but it's a little progress back in the right direction for Stern.

Don't forget the handle at the back!

Now we can hope for w/b style spring pivots and lockdown bar handles and better cabinet wood and a convenient power button and serviceable boards and lightshow backglasses and... oh, never mind. IRON MAIDEN!!!!!

#3235 1 year ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Sterns Plan:

Me thinks this might be the hottest selling game that Stern has ever made. Probably a big sigh of relief right now for the upper management at Stern after all the flack they have been taking over the last couple of years. This game is so damn good that even the hardcore Stern haters can't find anything to bitch about! I bet Gary is sitting back right now with a drink in his hand and a big smile on his face saying suck it haters!!

#3236 1 year ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I bet Gary is sitting back right now with a drink in his hand and a big smile on his face saying suck it haters!!

How is that any different now?

#3237 1 year ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Me thinks this might be the hottest selling game that Stern has ever made. Probably a big sigh of relief right now for the upper management at Stern after all the flack they have been taking over the last couple of years.

It would sell even better if they'd release the damn Premium/LE pics! ARGH!

#3238 1 year ago
Quoted from vireland:

How is that any different now?

Lol true

#3239 1 year ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

I know right? I can't wait to check it out. Something tells me its going to be pretty special. I'd still be happy with the pro though no matter what because its amazing.

#3240 1 year ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

As a Maiden LE buyer, I wish Stern would make the LE's first like they use to a few years ago.

#3241 1 year ago
Quoted from ronlisa:

As a Maiden LE buyer, I wish Stern would make the LE's first like they use to a few years ago.

No you don’t.

Remember when they did that with Avengers?

#3242 1 year ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

No you don’t.
Remember when they did that with Avengers?

OMG Do I remember that stinker.

#3243 1 year ago
Quoted from starbase:

OMG Do I remember that stinker.

Avengers is a very underrated game imo. The layout is refreshing to play and its a challenge.

#3244 1 year ago
Quoted from John1210:

Avengers is a very underrated game imo. The layout is refreshing to play and its a challenge.

vomit.gif.gif

#3245 1 year ago

I'm pretty damned excited to play IMDN, and it looks like it's nearly the complete package. I can't be the only one that thinks that the 3d animations and the font look like a late 90's Midway arcade game though, right? Those assets are just bad. The 2d Eddie graphics look great, but man - the 3d models are ROUGH.

bateddie (resized).PNG

#3246 1 year ago
Quoted from Raincity:

I'm pretty damned excited to play IMDN, and it looks like it's nearly the complete package. I can't be the only one that thinks that the 3d animations and the font look like a late 90's Midway arcade game though, right? Those assets are just bad. The 2d Eddie graphics look great, but man - the 3d models are ROUGH.

I'm thinking/hoping they were only able to get the modelling done before they shipped the pro, and texturing will likely be added with future updates. Stern is the worst offender, by far, for shipping an incomplete product, so we must work with assumptions until they officially abandon the pin. Luckily, we have Keith's rules and design.

#3247 1 year ago
Quoted from John1210:

AV is not liked because this game needs some easy tweaks to play perfectly (HULK arms, BW ramp, LOKI lock optos)
and of course, if you're playing this game in a location, without tweaks done, than yes, its will be bullshit for sure...

now, try a perfectly working one, with the (surprise) last code, and you will think differently
OK, its often same shoots to advance/build caracters, but than the VS modes are really fun & something different, and also never seen before

than, i'm not saying AV is a "top" game, but for sure its a good one, and didnt deserve so much hate (may be from people not having played it in good conditions, if you've read what i wrote above)

#3248 1 year ago
Quoted from Raincity:

I can't be the only one that thinks that the 3d animations and the font look like a late 90's Midway arcade game

...you say that like it’s a bad thing!

#3249 1 year ago

As a lifelong Maiden fan, (hanging out at the record store when my buddy pulled the first album out of the box), this is surreal. Four or five years ago when somebody mentioned Maiden for the first time here' I jumped in and said I'd be in on a lark. So my "Dream Theme" shows up and by chance, just happens to be a hit? Unbelievable. If anybodies in the Northwoods of Wisconsin and a Maiden fan, be advised, there will be a Iron Maiden Premium at my house!

#3250 1 year ago

.... and here we go again with the early buyers claiming their game is the best ever....IMDN debuts at number one on pinside...
....maybe it is, I haven't tried it yet, but then again I don't rate games after a few plays...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Corpus Christi, TX
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
There are 7167 posts in this topic. You are on page 65 of 144.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside