20180622_201032 (resized).jpg
imdnleft (resized).jpg
20180615_080358 (resized).jpg
20180615_082932 (resized).jpg
B3C07D25-C1F2-4A4F-9BDF-F758588C8983.jpeg
223B7221-E31D-4DD6-AF17-E004561A8EA4.jpeg
581BFB86-9401-4BAE-BAAF-167FF9B5E995.jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

22 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7,177 posts in this topic. You are on page 24 of 144.
#1151 6 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

I'm not sure that flippers, pops, drops, and slings have anything to do with the concept either.
There's nothing about it that conflicts with the concept, so why not?

To be clear, the concept = hitting a target in multiple places, if the ball went through how would that work, physically speaking?

Not talking about theme, just the idea of a multitarget, which I think is cool and original.

#1152 6 years ago

To get all pinside overly specific about it a VUK is a vertical-up-kicker, so I guess anything with a coil mounted perpendicular to the playfield that fires the ball upwards directly would be a VUK (which I think the GOTG one does). Many scoops fire the ball horizontally into a u-turn onto the playfield, but not all. Most saucers have a lever arm that nudges the ball out.

#1153 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

To be clear, the concept = hitting a target in multiple places, if the ball went through how would that work, physically speaking?
Not talking about theme, just the idea of a multitarget, which I think is cool and original.

My bad, I misread what you wrote.

#1154 6 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

To get all pinside overly specific about it a VUK is a vertical-up-kicker, .....

Is that's it's VERTICAL

#1155 6 years ago

I'm learning so much about pin terminology here. Interesting that Stern is moving away from even saucers/scoops in favor of posts. I genuinely can't think of any single game back to the 70s that didn't have a single saucer or scoop other than this and GOT pro.

#1156 6 years ago

Are we taking bets on if people are going to bitch this time because the stream shows to much of the game?

#1157 6 years ago
Quoted from westofrome:

I'm learning so much about pin terminology here. Interesting that Stern is moving away from even saucers/scoops in favor of posts. I genuinely can't think of any single game back to the 70s that didn't have a single saucer or scoop other than this and GOT pro.

I could argue the post is actually better because it allows you to conditionally stop the ball, or let it flow through depending on what's going on. Once you put a scoop on the play field, it can only be one thing.

#1158 6 years ago
Quoted from westofrome:

I'm learning so much about pin terminology here.

Pop quiz...what is a kickback? That's a sneaky one.

Quoted from westofrome:

I genuinely can't think of any single game back to the 70s that didn't have a single saucer or scoop other than this and GOT pro.

Black Knights?

#1159 6 years ago
Quoted from Dr-Willy:

Are we taking bets on if people are going to bitch this time because the stream shows to much of the game?

I think this reveal as had the least amount of bitching over all in a reallly realllllly reallllllly long time

#1160 6 years ago

Is there a link to the live feed?

#1161 6 years ago
Quoted from westofrome:

1 down and 2 to go I say, next thing I hope starts to disappear is pop bumpers with the exception of one placed out in the open like TNA. Lastly and sadly something that I doubt will ever vanish from pinball is bad humor/callouts, but I can dream the impossible dream.

#1163 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

1 down and 2 to go I say, next thing I hope starts to disappear is pop bumpers with the exception of one placed out in the open like TNA. Lastly and sadly something that I doubt will ever vanish from pinball is bad humor/callouts, but I can dream the impossible dream.

Hopefully flippers after that. I miss the 30's.

#1164 6 years ago
Quoted from westofrome:

Ironman doesn't.

#1165 6 years ago
Quoted from porkcarrot:

Ironman doesn't.

Ahhhh good eye.

#1166 6 years ago
Quoted from westofrome:

Fair enough, so what do you call the mechanism that kicks the ball out of a scoop or saucer?

The "ball-kicker".

#1167 6 years ago

Screen graphics are very amateur looking. Easily the worst of any of the new LCD Stern games. I hope it's placeholder stuff, but I have my doubts.

#1168 6 years ago
Quoted from flashburn:

Screen graphics are very amateur looking. Easily the worst of any of the new LCD Stern games. I hope it's placeholder stuff, but I have my doubts.

The fonts and UI graphics are a lot worse than the video content, which itself isn't great. It is however consistent with some IM videos, and many metal band or fan made music videos. The style is heavily rooted in 90s amateur CG.

I'm assuming some of the video assets are from the mobile game.

#1169 6 years ago
Quoted from flashburn:

Screen graphics are very amateur looking. Easily the worst of any of the new LCD Stern games.

Hmm...some stuff like albatross didn't look bad...some other things I saw looked like NES...font looks very NES also.

edit: still better than Aerosmtih

#1170 6 years ago

Yeah, the typeface graphics are very 90s and not in a good way. But then we don't expect JJP quality visuals from Stern.

The rest of the game looks great. They should just hire some indie game dev designers to help with the display stuff.

#1171 6 years ago

I miss dots.

#1172 6 years ago
Quoted from flashburn:

He just said graphics are temporary !

#1173 6 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Yeah, the typeface graphics are very 90s and not in a good way. But then we don't expect JJP quality visuals from Stern.
The rest of the game looks great. They should just hire some indie game dev designers to help with the display stuff.

Pretty sure it's on purpose here. But it's also very inexpensive and takes minimal time or effort. If J P de Win is charging anywhere near the market rate for his work for JJP, then that kind of stuff ain't cheap.

Quoted from melappels:

UI and transitions possibly. The 3D graphics? No way.

#1174 6 years ago
Quoted from melappels:

I think he was referring to that one mode, but maybe it was overall.

There's intentionally not a lot happening on the screen, per Keith Elwin. This is way more of a heads down game...thank goodness.

#1175 6 years ago

.95 code on the stream.

#1176 6 years ago

Code of the Pro on the stream is 0.95, so shipping with 1.00 is likely.

EDIT:Haha...beaten!

#1177 6 years ago

So it records the high score per song played, but the songs aren't modes... that's kind of weird.

Love the gong sound when you hit the center target.

#1178 6 years ago

Everything looks and sounds great, music aside (I can't stand Iron Maiden), and that layout is freaking awesome. Should be a winner.

#1179 6 years ago

.95 or 1.0 code are just made up numbers guys.

I like the voices just fine...looks like fun!

#1180 6 years ago
Quoted from flashburn:

They’re almost all placeholder.

Game looks FANTASTIC! Gameplay is reaaaaaaaaally good. Obviously I hope they plan to do a lot more, but for a demo this is really coming along great.

#1181 6 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

Still can't compete with ACDC. Name me 10 iron maiden songs that have played on a top 40 main stream radio station (Not the Rock Station).
Will did game sale, absolutely. Will it surpass ACDC, no way in hell.

That's the point you're missing. Iron Maiden was never a "radio" band. They made their popularity through the underground.

#1182 6 years ago

Worst music possible, pin play is great.

#1183 6 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

I think what Who-Dey is trying to say is that pretty much everyone says it's a hit and I would say less than 25% of Stern's reveals are this unanimous.

Exactly

#1184 6 years ago

Im impressed, the pro seems loaded. Hope the build quality is there.

#1185 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Everything looks and sounds great, music aside (I can't stand Iron Maiden), and that layout is freaking awesome. Should be a winner.

Still possible to replace it?

#1186 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

.95 or 1.0 code are just made up numbers guys.

It's arbitrary, of course, but to me it suggests that it's just aboot "complete" minus a bit of polish.

#1187 6 years ago

The most impressive thing from the stream is the speed of the game. Seems very fast and smooth.

#1188 6 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Theme and band blow, but I love the art and play field lay out....very innovative by Stern.....I'll probably wait a pick up a premium

Wrong wrong and wrong...didn't Stern get the design from Archer? ... so not really innovative on their part..but it looks good anyways

#1189 6 years ago
Quoted from Banker:

Worst music possible, pin play is great.

Pin looks alot better than I thought it would...even with LCD animations.

Music....sounds a little worse than i thought Maybe if I put a picture of hunky Airline Pilot Bruce Dickenson by my machine his lovers eyes will hypnotize me.

Quoted from Sammy31:

Wrong wrong and wrong...didn't Stern get the design from Archer? ... so not really innovative on their part..but it looks good anyways

Well they hired the guy that made it so...that counts.

#1190 6 years ago

Watching stream thoughts:

The LCD looks kinda bad, just gonna say it. The mobile game graphics are whatever, it's fine really, they used what they had, but I wish the text had more life and pop and flavor to it. This is a metal game, with a band that has an iconic font, why so staid and generic? If they kept the graphics but upped the font presentation I think it would go a long way.

The overall LCD layout is just okay, Stern hasn't solved what to do with these high rez screens yet IMHO. And it's a tough nut to crack, I don't think the JJP approach is the only way to do it though.

But that said, it seems like there's good info up there that's easy to see, like the stuff on the left tracking stats, that's good to be able to just glance up and see. I'm gonna say 5/10 for the LCD. Functional but doesn't live up to promise of game. Polish on the text and stuff could get it to a 7, maybe there's a chance for that still if people ask for it, I dunno.

And that's all I can complain about, because the game looks really, really good. I've shot the old Archer layout, no surprise there, it was great even in rough whitewood, but just watching the ball flow is great. Music is the music, not a Maiden fan, but I don't mind it, it's good for pinball I think. Callouts and sound effects feel solid. Art is everything I think people could ask for.

I have high hopes for the rules with everything Keith has said. He's compared it to a 90s game, and that's a good thing. Bad LCD wouldn't keep me from buying, but if there's any hope for updating it that would be nice. I'm really interested to see the Premium now.

Only part I'm not wild aboutOnly part I'm not wild about

#1191 6 years ago

Layout is refreshing , new blood . . new ideas and it shows for sure.
Stern needed this since the most game were designed by Steve Ritchie and John Borg and they have quite the same layout.
Thank GOD Lonnie Ropp is not doing the software, so he cant ruin the game like he did with most of the game he was lead programmer on.
Anyway the game looks like a winner to me !!

#1192 6 years ago

Watching the stream
I've never wanted to play a table as much as I want to play this one.
Like Holy Shit!
Totally nailed it!

\m/ \m/ UP THE IRONS! \m/ \m/

#1193 6 years ago

Looks Awesome!!! May be my first NIB pin!!!

#1194 6 years ago

I checked out some of the stream. Really don't know what to say except this is how the big boys do it. I'm very impressed and looking forward to playing it soon, and seeing what this team has in store for us in the future.

#1195 6 years ago

Looks awesome. Stern kicking ass and making a statement in every way, they aren’t going anywhere.

Wonder how many regret their acnc deposits right now?

#1196 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

This is a metal game, with a band that has an iconic font, why so staid and generic?

Updating to note that I saw 2X Multiplier that was done in the Maiden font with flames inside it that looked cool, and Extra Ball Is Lit was written in spattered blood letters, much cooler energy, so maybe some of this boring text is placeholder.

Edit: capped some images

maiden2xplayfield (resized).jpgmaiden2xplayfield (resized).jpgmaidenextra (resized).jpgmaidenextra (resized).jpg

#1197 6 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

That's the point you're missing. Iron Maiden was never a "radio" band. They made their popularity through the underground.

And that is why it will not outsell acdc.

#1198 6 years ago

my apologies if its already been mentioned but are there no magnets in this one ?

#1199 6 years ago

Watched some of the stream. Gameplay looks great. Still don't care for songs with lyrics/singing in a pinball machine that constantly stomps on it with call-outs.

#1200 6 years ago

Watched the stream, looks like a cool game. I actually like the graphics. I may be in for a pro.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Merrimack, NH
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

$ 94.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 22.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 24.50
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 80.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 55.00
Playfield - Protection
Tucson Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Twisted Tokens

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
New Cumberland, PA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

6,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Murrieta, CA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 7,177 posts in this topic. You are on page 24 of 144.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/next-new-title-from-stern-announced-this-saturday/page/24 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.