20180622_201032 (resized).jpg
imdnleft (resized).jpg
20180615_080358 (resized).jpg
20180615_082932 (resized).jpg
B3C07D25-C1F2-4A4F-9BDF-F758588C8983.jpeg
223B7221-E31D-4DD6-AF17-E004561A8EA4.jpeg
581BFB86-9401-4BAE-BAAF-167FF9B5E995.jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

22 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7,177 posts in this topic. You are on page 116 of 144.
#5751 5 years ago
Quoted from imharrow:

The one on location near me has issues out of the box. It is rediculous to need new node boards out of the box, but it is also what I expect on spike. No one is running to pinside to raise a stink, but it doesn't necessarily mean issues are not happening.

The issues has been resolved. Apparently it was a GI short. So apparently weak flipper might indicate GI issues.

#5752 5 years ago

First game after update...

Match animation and high score board have both changed and I think they're pretty darn cool. My previous high score was in the 400,000 range so they may have made it easier. I started modes I never started before.

Awesome game has just gotten more awesome!!!

20180510_182034 (resized).jpg20180510_182034 (resized).jpg

#5753 5 years ago

Show some more pics (or video) of some new animations please!! So awesome!!

#5754 5 years ago
Quoted from MikeTangoIndia:

Show some more pics (or video) of some new animations please!! So awesome!!

Match Sequence...

#5755 5 years ago
Quoted from JeffF:

Match Sequence...
» YouTube video

Super cool!

#5756 5 years ago

Not long ago I thought the animations are the only weak point of this game, but they are getting better and better. And now this Match Sequence looks awesome! Well done Stern!

#5757 5 years ago
Quoted from BoJo:

Who is the distributor? I don't see the need to keep it a secret and personally I would like to know to avoid them in the future because that is shady.

Stern should be testing them before shipping so I would expect to see dimples on a NIB machine. I actually would prefer to see them when opening a NIB machine because at least I know they played a few games on it for testing purposes.

I've never ever ever ever ever saw dimples on any of my nib games upon opening. I would be pissed if someone opened it and would not want it if they did. Sucks that op is in on a scarce le with limited options. As op waits for his machine others were enjoying it...

#5758 5 years ago
Quoted from JeffF:

First game after update...
Match animation and high score board have both changed and I think they're pretty darn cool. My previous high score was in the 400,000 range so they may have made it easier. I started modes I never started before.
Awesome game has just gotten more awesome!!!

Yeah, the scoring seems a LOT looser. Got 300+ Million on a test game where I wasn't even trying, just making sure the update didn't break anything.

#5759 5 years ago
Quoted from JeffF:

Match Sequence...
» YouTube video

Oh sh!t that is freaking Rad!

#5760 5 years ago
Quoted from JeffF:

Match Sequence...
» YouTube video

so awesome!! Wow!! Thanks!

#5761 5 years ago

Geez, I guess Stern wants to sell a crap load of these, I cant remember the last time a new game recieved so much coding love right out of the gate from them.

#5762 5 years ago
Quoted from vex:

Geez, I guess Stern wants to sell a crap load of these, I cant remember the last time a new game recieved so much coding love right out of the gate from them.

Maybe Oribitor 1?

#5763 5 years ago

Been inside the damn game more than I've played it.
Mummy captive ball wasn't recognizing hits. Tweak the spoon under it and found the switch too close. Fixed that. Then when there was a ball locked behind the captive ball, the back switch wouldn't detect hits. Had to stand on my head and take metal subway out to adjust that switch. Fixed that [NOT fun].
Whew. I can play now. NOPE. Middle drop target stops resetting. Reset! Reset! Reset! and the middle one is always down. WTF? Take the assembly off and Stern missed the washer on the middle drop target and spring worked it way thru the slot and target wasn't pushing forward to catch. Fixed that with a new washer. FINALLY!! I can play a game.
NOPE!!! Have 1 ball locked behind captive. Go to lock second one and the damn plastic divertor falls down in the middle of the playfield. Screws weren't tightened - still sitting where they came out.
I quit. Maybe I can play a game tomorrow???? What else does the future hold???

Resized_20180510_210640_1108 (resized).jpegResized_20180510_210640_1108 (resized).jpeg
Resized_20180510_212426_7645 (resized).jpegResized_20180510_212426_7645 (resized).jpeg
Resized_20180510_212435_5779 (resized).jpegResized_20180510_212435_5779 (resized).jpeg

#5764 5 years ago

I'm impressed with your tech and diagnosing skills. Stern should hire you for assembly quality control.

#5765 5 years ago
Quoted from dgoett:

Mummy captive ball wasn't recognizing hits. Tweak the spoon under it and found the switch too close. Fixed that. Then when there was a ball locked behind the captive ball, the back switch wouldn't detect hits. Had to stand on my head and take metal subway out to adjust that switch. Fixed that.
Whew. I can play now. NOPE. Middle drop target stops resetting. Reset! Reset! Reset! and the middle one is always down. WTF? Take the assembly off and Stern missed the washer on the middle drop target and spring worked it way thru the slot and target wasn't pushing forward to catch. Fixed that with a new washer. FINALLY!! I can play a game.
NOPE!!! Have 1 ball locked behind captive. Go to lock second one and the damn plastic divertor falls down in the middle of the playfield. Screws weren't tightened - still sitting where they came out.

Stern quality at its best....

#5766 5 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

I'm impressed with your tech and diagnosing skills. Stern should hire you for assembly quality control.

I work for one of their distributors. I'm glad I got this machine and not one of our less technically inclined customers. My dream job would be in QC at Stern!! But then I'd have to live in Chicago. LOL

Posting here not really to bash Stern but provide solutions should anyone else run across them. I'm sure I'm not alone. Hehe

#5767 5 years ago
Quoted from dgoett:

Mummy captive ball wasn't recognizing hits. Tweak the spoon under it and found the switch too close. Fixed that. Then when there was a ball locked behind the captive ball, the back switch wouldn't detect hits. Had to stand on my head and take metal subway out to adjust that switch. Fixed that.

when we went through the tour @ expo, we were assured that each and every game is fully tested. I don't think so. plain and simple they may test every one of a certain part (but I don't think that's even true)

it's pretty sad that out of the box, people are still having issues like this. given the number of independent mechanical devices within each game, and the price that stern charges, there is absolutely no reason that stern shouldn't up their game and start testing their machines a lot better before they are boxed and leave the warehouse. I do not know of any other manufacturer that has the amount of "out of the box" failures that stern's products do
it almost appears that in their haste to ship games, the quality control has dipped to that of the batman 66 levels

one quick question for all of the LE owners that have received their machines. everyone keeps clamoring about all of these extras that are not on the matrix that are supposed to be included, but nowhere have I seen one owner pipe up with what they are. I'm guessing this was just a lie?

#5768 5 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

I do not know of any other manufacturer that has the amount of "out of the box" failures that stern's products do
it almost appears that in their haste to ship games, the quality control has dipped to that of the batman 66 levels

Hey, don’t talk about my Batman that way!

#5769 5 years ago
Quoted from dgoett:

Mummy captive ball wasn't recognizing hits. Tweak the spoon under it and found the switch too close. Fixed that. Then when there was a ball locked behind the captive ball, the back switch wouldn't detect hits. Had to stand on my head and take metal subway out to adjust that switch. Fixed that [NOT fun].

So its takin about as much time to tweak and fix as blabbing out that long post of yours? with added pics. Like it or not thats the nature of getting a new pin these days. Ive seen worse.... much worse.

#5770 5 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

one quick question for all of the LE owners that have received their machines. everyone keeps clamoring about all of these extras that are not on the matrix that are supposed to be included, but nowhere have I seen one owner pipe up with what they are. I'm guessing this was just a lie?

My theory regarding this was that a distributor or someone close to them saw the LE promo photos in advance and thought that the Orb target also involved an un-announced magnet, prior to understanding how that works...but who knows.

#5771 5 years ago
Quoted from dgoett:

I work for one of their distributors. I'm glad I got this machine and not one of our less technically inclined customers. My dream job would be in QC at Stern!! But then I'd have to live in Chicago. LOL
Posting here not really to bash Stern but provide solutions should anyone else run across them. I'm sure I'm not alone. Hehe

I appreciate the post, thank you. If everyone does this, pretty soon all the solutions to tweak any new game can be found.
Hope you have a better day with your new pin tomorrow!

#5772 5 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

...we were assured that each and every game is fully tested. I don't think so. plain and simple they may test every one of a certain part (but I don't think that's even true)

People are complaining there machine was unboxed before they received it, imagine what would happen if there was a few dimples in the PF due to it being truly play tested before hand!

How many games have you put on it so far dgoett ?

#5773 5 years ago

I think he's been fixing it a lot more than playing it...

#5774 5 years ago
Quoted from Flex_in_Aus:

How many games have you put on it so far dgoett ?

9 total, but 8 were with the mummy captive ball not working properly and #9 had to stop on ball 3 when the divertor plastic flew off. It will get a work out this weekend hopefully.
In love with the game. Just need to sort out the little quirks.

#5775 5 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

So its takin about as much time to tweak and fix as blabbing out that long post of yours? with added pics. Like it or not thats the nature of getting a new pin these days. Ive seen worse.... much worse.

You are here >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> the point of his post to help others is over here

#5776 5 years ago

I really wish Stern didn't feel the correct business model is to keep increasing their profits while decreasing the quality control of their products. We are all a bunch of stupid SOB that we keep buying these pins despite them making no efforts to improve what goes out the door. And yes, I'm going to likely buy this pin too...I have a problem

#5777 5 years ago

I’m a first time Stern owner with BM 66 a few months ago and excited to get IMDNLE next week. One of the things that kept me from getting a Stern sooner was the perception that there are quality issues. Turns out the quality is super high. Yes, I had to tweak the turntable. And accidentally shorted the motor control board, which Chas quickly diagnosed and replaced. But isn’t that the fun of pinball, to make it work even better than excellent? I’ve had to tweak all of my machines. 10 Bally/Williams, 2 CGC remakes, 1 JJP, and 1 Stern. Isn’t that why we are in this hobby, to make it awesome? Honestly I’d be bored if there weren’t things to make better. And the quality on my BM66 has blown my mind. It’s amazing and plays like driving a sports car. These comments about it being clunky...what?! Smooth, fast and furious. Right next to my MMr, and BM66 gets most of the attention. Lyman Sheats is some kind of programming genius. IMDN is gonna be amazing too. The reviews don’t lie. And ask operators which machines hold up best. That answer changed my mind.

#5778 5 years ago
Quoted from dts:

I’m a first time Stern owner with BM 66 a few months ago and excited to get IMDNLE next week. One of the things that kept me from getting a Stern sooner was the perception that there are quality issues. Turns out the quality is super high. Yes, I had to tweak the turntable. And accidentally shorted the motor control board, which Chas quickly diagnosed and replaced. But isn’t that the fun of pinball, to make it work even better than excellent? I’ve had to tweak all of my machines. 10 Bally/Williams, 2 CGC remakes, 1 JJP, and 1 Stern. Isn’t that why we are in this hobby, to make it awesome? Honestly I’d be bored if there weren’t things to make better. And the quality on my BM66 has blown my mind. It’s amazing and plays like driving a sports car. These comments about it being clunky...what?! Smooth, fast and furious. Right next to my MMr, and BM66 gets most of the attention. Lyman Sheats is some kind of programming genius. IMDN is gonna be amazing too. The reviews don’t lie. And ask operators which machines hold up best. That answer changed my mind.

Stern quality can be high, no question about that. The issue in my opinion is Stern cannot consistently put out quality products due to poor QC.

Examples. Your game is fine and another has major issues. This guys cabinet is perfect and another is splitting. Another person's cabinet decals are fine and someone else has theirs wrinkling.

A 10 - 15 minute final quality check would prevent these issues. Hell maybe that is occuring but the games are shipped anyway. Who knows. For $6k - $9k there's no fun in fixing quality related issues out of the box.

#5779 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Stern quality can be high, no question about that. The issue in my opinion is Stern cannot consistently put out quality products due to poor QC.
Examples. Your game is fine and another has major issues. This guys cabinet is perfect and another is splitting. Another person's cabinet decals are fine and someone else has theirs wrinkling.
A 10 - 15 minute final quality check would prevent these issues. Hell maybe that is occuring but the games are shipped anyway. Who knows. For $6k - $9k there's no fun in fixing quality related issues out of the box.

My point is that this is the nature of the beast across all manufacturers. But there should be no lemons. Have you had any of those, that didn’t work with adjustments?

#5780 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

The drumbeat goes on. Just cut and paste your reply so you save time typing it out hundreds of times over and over.

This ridiculous comment implies that 50% of the games have issues like this.

Stern produced 10k pins last year. Some have issues that get fixed.

Your whining and crying here is going to do nothing. Get on the phone and call Stern and register your complaints!

And thanks for the heads up Dgoett and input, getting my LE next week!!

#5781 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Give if a break, dude. Every. New. Stern. Thread.

#5782 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Another person's cabinet decals are fine and someone else has theirs wrinkling.

Speaking of cabinet decals:

WHEN WILL WE FINALLY SEE THEM?! (Premium)

#5783 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

All games from all manufacturers have issues! When I received my WOZ it was unplayable, I had to work thru multiple issues to get the game working. I will say that the JJP team was awesome to work with and helped me diagnose my problems and quickly sent me parts to fix the game just has Stern has in the past.

#5784 5 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

All games from all manufacturers have issues! When I received my WOZ it was unplayable, I had to work thru multiple issues to get the game working. I will say that the JJP team was awesome to work with and helped me diagnose my problems and quickly sent me parts to fix the game just has Stern has in the past.

Unplayable, separating cabinets ... Not what I had in mind for my first nib !!!

#5785 5 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

Is it better to never have lived if you're afraid to die?

#5786 5 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

That's not really the case. These machines are very reliable and fun to work on regardless of any occasional problems that come up. There is a small group of home collectors that don't know how to do mechanical things but if you are one of them buy from a distributor in your area. If anything happens, have them come by or call another local resource. Go for it!

#5787 5 years ago
Quoted from tktlwyr:

Give if a break, dude. Every. New. Stern. Thread.

I'd agree with you if uh, the exact same QC issues weren't being reported on this game as well. It's one thing if it's old information and quite another if it's still happening.

I guess we're not supposed to talk about it. Interferes with the de-nial, de-nial, de-nial.

#5788 5 years ago

I'm an operator and always plan on spending a few weeks out of the gate making sure everything works, and always expect to have to fix one thing or another... or work it out with the manufacturer. I think a lot of people are just now getting into this world of pinball not really knowing what to expect, and get freaked out super easy. The simple reality is, and Charlie over at Spooky says it often for a reason... pinball is hard! With the amount of components, wires, connections, boards, etc etc, something is ALWAYS bound to be broken or off alignment. But that is also why pinball is fun. It's one of the most challenging hobbies out there. Unbox, play, fix, play, fix, fix, play.... the cycle never ends. As long as you have a game you will be maintaining it constantly no matter how well it was put together.

#5789 5 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

I'd agree with you if uh, the exact same QC issues weren't being reported on this game as well. It's one thing if it's old information and quite another if it's still happening.
I guess we're not supposed to talk about it. Interferes with the de-nial, de-nial, de-nial.

De Nile, my favorite river... Seriously, problem solving is part of the fun and a good reason to have these forums.

Quoted from NightMutilator:

I'm an operator and always plan on spending a few weeks out of the gate making sure everything works, and always expect to have to fix one thing or another... or work it out with the manufacturer. I think a lot of people are just now getting into this world of pinball not really knowing what to expect, and get freaked out super easy. The simple reality is, and Charlie over at Spooky says it often for a reason... pinball is hard! With the amount of components, wires, connections, boards, etc etc, something is ALWAYS bound to be broken or off alignment. But that is also why pinball is fun. It's one of the most challenging hobbies out there. Unbox, play, fix, play, fix, fix, play.... the cycle never ends. As long as you have a game you will be maintaining it constantly no matter how well it was put together.

Yep!

#5790 5 years ago

I agree that pins are rarely made to spec. Take a look at older W/B machines. Different copies of the games can play vastly different. I'm still working with JJP to get my DILE fixed up to spec, but I ordered an early one and expected to go through the process of replacing parts and upgrading parts. Now, all this said, Stern is known to run the tightest ship with regard to cost and profits, and this is only slightly changing due to competition. In my opinion, they still deserve the criticism of using cheap components and running less diligent quality control. Pinball is hard, but Stern is also cheap.

#5791 5 years ago

Unbox, play, fix, play, fix, fix, play.... the cycle never ends.

That is right but there are things that don't fall into this with a new game, that could happen from time to time and usually your distributor or Stern will take care of.

For me a new game should need less fixing (when properly initially adjusted) than a 25+ year old game.
That's not allways the case but for me I owned 2 NIB Stern and never had Problems after little initial setup.

#5792 5 years ago

Just saying for the money spent on a new machine, It should actually play correctly out of the box and not have to worry about the cabinet falling apart!

#5793 5 years ago

Unbox, play, fix, COMPLAIN ON PINSIDE, play, fix, COMPLAIN ON PINSIDE, fix, WHINE ON PINSIDE, play.... the cycle never ends.

FTFY.

#5794 5 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

Just saying for the money spent on a new machine, It should actually play correctly out of the box and not have to worry about the cabinet falling apart!

For the money we pay for cars we should never have to take it to the dealer to get fixed

#5795 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

For the money we pay for cars we should never have to take it to the dealer to get fixed

You should be able to at least leave the parking lot first !
Still excited to get this game! Mine (pro)
Is coming the 19th!

#5796 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

but just how long would a car company or an appliance company last if their QC was as wishy-washy as stern's? I don't understand why it's the norm to expect every single other consumer item that you can purchase to work right out of the box, but when people start complaining about the lack of quality of a pinball machine, it's time to bring out the pitchforks

yes, we could vote with our dollars, but truth be told that's never going to happen. there are way too many people that will line up and put their money down for this product [sight unseen] and then bitch and moan, but continue to do the exact same thing again when another machine that fits their desires is announced

we, as a community are our own worst enemy and until everyone (and I mean everyone) takes a stand about the lack of QC, it's going to continue to happen

#5797 5 years ago
Quoted from dts:

De Nile, my favorite river... Seriously, problem solving is part of the fun and a good reason to have these forums.

Yep!

Hey, I like working on games almost as much as playing them.

Sure, most games will need slight tweaks to switches and such out of the box to play their best. I'm talking about issues like a $9800 LE with a front decal with a giant fucking wrinkle/bubble in it, and cabinets that split spontaneously. Replacing decals and cabinets on my new high end pin is not what I'm into.

#5798 5 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

but just how long would a car company or an appliance company last if their QC was as wishy-washy as stern's? I don't understand why it's the norm to expect every single other consumer item that you can purchase to work right out of the box, but when people start complaining about the lack of quality of a pinball machine, it's time to bring out the pitchforks
yes, we could vote with our dollars, but truth be told that's never going to happen. there are way too many people that will line up and put their money down for this product [sight unseen] and then bitch and moan, but continue to do the exact same thing again when another machine that fits their desires is announced
we, as a community are our own worst enemy and until everyone (and I mean everyone) takes a stand about the lack of QC, it's going to continue to happen

To me, bottom line sales are the biggest indicator of how truly bad the issue is.

And Stern is kicking ass right now

So the sky is falling mantra is way overblown

Not to say it would be nice if we got 100% defect free but that ain’t ever gonna happen in the real world

I’m thrilled with my Stern pins and looking forward to Alice and Potc

It’s all good. Pinball is great. Think positive and don’t sweat the small stuff

#5799 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

The drumbeat goes on. Just cut and paste your reply so you save time typing it out hundreds of times over and over.
This ridiculous comment implies that 50% of the games have issues like this.
Stern produced 10k pins last year. Some have issues that get fixed.
Your whining and crying here is going to do nothing. Get on the phone and call Stern and register your complaints!
And thanks for the heads up Dgoett and input, getting my LE next week!!

Iceman, if Stern put a fork of a forklift through your cabinet I think you would say "don't worry about" it at this point, lol. Stop getting so defensive when someone questions Stern quality. At these prices a vast majority or customers want a quality product without issues.

#5800 5 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Hey, I like working on games almost as much as playing them.
Sure, most games will need slight tweaks to switches and such out of the box to play their best. I'm talking about issues like a $9800 LE with a front decal with a giant fucking wrinkle/bubble in it, and cabinets that split spontaneously. Replacing decals and cabinets on my new high end pin is not what I'm into.

Can't argue with that. I wish they still silk screened cabinets like Williams did.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
New Cumberland, PA
Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 34.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wake Forest, NC
$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 24.50
$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 22.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 34.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

There are 7,177 posts in this topic. You are on page 116 of 144.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/next-new-title-from-stern-announced-this-saturday/page/116?hl=flex_in_aus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.