20180622_201032 (resized).jpg
imdnleft (resized).jpg
20180615_080358 (resized).jpg
20180615_082932 (resized).jpg
B3C07D25-C1F2-4A4F-9BDF-F758588C8983.jpeg
223B7221-E31D-4DD6-AF17-E004561A8EA4.jpeg
581BFB86-9401-4BAE-BAAF-167FF9B5E995.jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

22 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7,177 posts in this topic. You are on page 108 of 144.
#5351 5 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Also early on yesterday i noticed some maidens allready had some bad cab splitting....

Ohhhh boy here we go again. No bueno. This is crazy for sure that it’s still happening.

#5352 5 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Does the LE have the upgraded cabinet brackets? (Williams style) I thought I had read that Star Wars LE came with the better brackets in the front if the cab?

Yeah, my SW does have more supportive corner brackets but they are not the traditional Williams style brackets, probably half or quarter of the size like below.metallics-everbilt-corner-braces-15442-64_1000 (resized).jpgmetallics-everbilt-corner-braces-15442-64_1000 (resized).jpg

#5353 5 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Oh shit. That's not good. B/W brackets should ship with all new Stern's ffs.

Yep they really need to use the better brackets....you cld feel the split bad...

#5354 5 years ago

cabinet issues before we even get to see the premium....waaa wa wahhhh.

#5355 5 years ago

If anyone is getting a new Stern or has a newer Stern made in the past 2 years I wouldn't recommend using rubber feet casters as they will result in more stress on the corners of the game. Better to allow the game to slide slightly due to the way the cabinets are now being manufactured.

#5356 5 years ago

9k US and you get cheap filler wood instead of plywood? Seriously? I guess I was out of the loop. Is this one reason why my AS feels way lighter than say my Sopranos? Why Stern why? It's 9k US!

#5357 5 years ago

Damn. Thought this was fixed. At least I have the B/W brackets waiting. I would turn the shaker off in that machine bigd, or remove it.

#5358 5 years ago

That was shitty to see.

Which brackets should be used to replace with? Can someone provide a specific link.

What title did they start using crappier brackets with?

#5359 5 years ago

Marco sells the larger old school Bally Williams brackets. They are a must with all new Sterns.

#5360 5 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Also early on yesterday i noticed some maidens allready had some bad cab splitting....

Why oh why won't Stern spend some of their profits and put decent brackets inside cabinet

Cabinets definitely lighter now.

Not even got my Maiden yet and before I play -

Add cabinet brackets
Cliffy's
Metal leg protectors

#5361 5 years ago

Same SS but I only played at MGC. Where would Cliffys go? Is there a scoop in back can't see in pics, I mean there has to be right?

#5362 5 years ago

Are these the brackets to use? The inside leg brackets?

detail (resized).jpgdetail (resized).jpg

#5363 5 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Same SS but I only played at MGC. Where would Cliffys go? Is there a scoop in back can't see in pics, I mean there has to be right?

Maybe a Cliffy under the lift ramp the prevent pf damage when ramp slams down (similar to TWDLE) and on the edge of the scoop kickout in the LE? The Pro shouldn't need any Cliffys besides shooter lane protector and trough hole edge protector.

#5364 5 years ago

Thanks Mike.
Yep, Charles, those are the ones. Key is screw size. I can't remember off top of my head but there's an entire thread on it here.

#5365 5 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Thanks Mike.
Yep, Charles, those are the ones. Key is screw size. I can't remember off top of my head but there's an entire thread on it here.

I have bought Sheet Metal screws - Size 10 and 1/2 inch. It seemed to be what most people recommended.

#5366 5 years ago

These spike games are light as a feather and stress from regular nudging seem to quickly open up those corners. Unfortunately Ops now have to install them to protect their pros on location.

#5367 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

MAP = Minimum ADVERTISED Price
The distributors can sell it for anything they want, higher or lower than the MAP
Stern can't control what a distributor actually sells it for, because that would violate federal price fixing laws.

Tell that to apple

#5368 5 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

9k US and you get cheap filler wood instead of plywood? Seriously? I guess I was out of the loop. Is this one reason why my AS feels way lighter than say my Sopranos? Why Stern why? It's 9k US!

People keep saying it’s the Spyke system resulting in the game feeling lighter, but I’m 100% convinced they are using lighter less dense wood. It’s a bummer at these price points for sure but I’m going to look past it for this title.

#5369 5 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

People keep saying it’s the Spyke system resulting in the game feeling lighter, but I’m 100% convinced they are using lighter less dense wood. It’s a bummer at these price points for sure but I’m going to look past it for this title.

Agree. My KISS is spike and it felt way heavier than my AS.

Trouble is that Maiden looks so darn good, that even with these kinds of QC issues ( and node boards ) , I just have to get this title as if you love pinball, it doesn't get much better than this game.

#5370 5 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Thanks Mike.

Quoted from Shapeshifter:

I have bought Sheet Metal screws - Size 10 and 1/2 inch. It seemed to be what most people recommended.

Thanks for the help you guys!

Shame we have to add these to bulletproof the cab of all things, but looks like its worth it for the long hual. Actually forget the long haul, but for the now, we shouldnt be seeing splits this early on at all!!!

#5371 5 years ago

Could be wrong, I believe newest spikes don’t have transformers anymore in the cabinet.
Either way, these things are
more frequently popping open like piΓ±atas.

#5372 5 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

Could be wrong, I believe newest spikes don’t have traditional transformers in cab.
Either way, theses things are more frequently popping open like piΓ±atas.

What can we do to help toughen up the cabinet? Has anyone posted a guide for installing better support brackets for the cab?

#5373 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

It seems that you can put those reds in the pro GI and achieve the same effect no?

I think so the secondary lamps
Even turn off in the pro when you get some jackpots ! I’ll try it but will be a few weeks.

#5374 5 years ago

One of the biggest reasons why new Sterns feel lighter is the type of wood being used. I'm not looking to start a Stern vs JJP debate (own and enjoy games from both companies) but want to share this. For today's NIB prices Stern cabinets should be made better.

New Ghostbusters premium (mine), made last year. Filler / compressed wood is being used like on all new cabinets.
09d25a93e5a182aba8587e17f1fe28177970d6f6 (resized).jpg09d25a93e5a182aba8587e17f1fe28177970d6f6 (resized).jpg

My new Dialed In LE...no filler wood, high quality cabinet. No wonder it weighs 50-75lbs more then either my Star Wars LE or Ghostbusters Premium. Dialed In LE cost $9000 new but the $8000 standard comes with the same high quality cabinet which puts it $800 under Stern LE prices with cabinets made of filler / compressed wood. Doesn't make any sense.

7a87f6672854229663bc6bba148e6e839358c70f (resized).jpg7a87f6672854229663bc6bba148e6e839358c70f (resized).jpg

#5375 5 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Here we go again.

#5376 5 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

The cabinet wood was cheapened sometime after KISS. You can FEEL the difference in the bite when you screw the leg plates into it.

#5377 5 years ago

Use real wood screws. Sheet metal screws will do in a pinch, but they have an inferior bite for wood.

#5378 5 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

A big reason for the lighter cabs are the use of the metal back box, no mechanical lock mech, smaller boards, plastic aprons, half the wiring, lock bar latches instead of the massive mechanical receiver and a few other thing that equate to a lighter pinball.

#5379 5 years ago
Quoted from Bud:

A big reason for the lighter cabs are the use of the metal back box, no mechanical lock mech, smaller boards, plastic aprons, half the wiring, lock bar latches instead of the massive mechanical receiver and a few other thing that equate to a lighter pinball.

The cabinet wood is cheaper. You can FEEL it when you screw into it compared to something like KISS.

#5380 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Here we go again.

Just wanted to point out what i saw... not trying to start a shit storm. We really enjoyed maiden and will b looking to get a premium at some point. Just was concerned wirh these new pins pulled out for the show allready showing issues.

#5381 5 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Just wanted to point out what i saw... not trying to start a shit storm. We really enjoyed maiden and will b looking to get a premium at some point. Just was concerned wirh these new pins pulled out for the show allready showing issues.

Way to go BigD

#5383 5 years ago

Leg reinforcement shopping list:

Wood screws (#10 x 3/4" Coarse Deep Thread Pan Head Screws) $6.95/100:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M03T9SM
screw-pic (resized).jpgscrew-pic (resized).jpg

Titebond III glue $7.47:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Titebond-III-16-oz-Ultimate-Wood-Glue-1414/100522343
titebond3 (resized).jpgtitebond3 (resized).jpg

Bally/Williams Leg Plates (x4) $4.95:
https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=144
leg-plates (resized).jpgleg-plates (resized).jpg

I just made a thread with step-by-step replacement instructions of the leg plates. It's here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/reinforcing-stern-cabinet-legs-step-by-step#post-4381606

#5384 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Use real wood screws. Sheet metal screws will do in a pinch, but they have an inferior bite for wood.

These are what I bought.

Size 10.

Good enough or look for others?

IMG_2937 (resized).jpgIMG_2937 (resized).jpg

#5385 5 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Glad you did. Kick me in the pants a little to get the updated leg plates on it. I hadn't done it yet, and I should have. Your picture was just a reminder Stern cost cutting is still happening and our only protection is our will to preventatively protect the machines.

#5386 5 years ago

These are what I bought.
Size 10.
Good enough or look for others?

I would say no because there's not enough thread AT ALL. Most of the thread on that self-tapping screw will be used up going through the plate and what's actually sticking through the plate and into the wood won't be anything at all. You don't need self tapping, either. The wood is so soft now, it's like butter.

Just get the $6.95 100 pack of real wood screws at Amazon. You'll end up with a better job that will last longer, and definitely use the Titebond, too.

#5387 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I would say no because there's not enough thread AT ALL. Most of the thread on that self-tapping screw will be used up going through the plate and what's actually sticking throug the plate and into the wood won't be anything at all. You don't need self tapping, either. The wood is so soft now, it's like butter.
Just get the $6.95 100 pack of real wood screws at Amazon. You'll end up with a better job that will last longer, and definitely use the Titebond, too.

Thanks.

Do you mean to use the Titebond with the screws i.e put glue on them and then screw them in?

#5388 5 years ago

Thanks.
Do you mean to use the Titebond with the screws i.e put glue on them and then screw them in?

Yeah, just slather them with some titebond and screw them in. DO NOT drill pilot holes. The cabinet wood is plenty soft already.

#5389 5 years ago

Do you need to use Bally bolts with the B/W leg plates, or will the Stern bolts work?

#5390 5 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

Do you need to use Bally bolts with the B/W leg plates, or will the Stern bolts work?

Stern bolts work fine. I usually put some graphite dry lube (NOT regular WD-40, graphite dry lube spray) on them so they glide in. Don't want to cross-thread your new heavy-duty leg plates...

#5391 5 years ago

Back legs too or just the front?

#5392 5 years ago
Quoted from charles4400:

Back legs too or just the front?

When I'm in there, I usually do all 4, but the front two are the ones that take the most stress, so they're all that NEED to be done. For example, I happen to only have 2 more leg plates on hand, so I'm going over to do the Iron Maiden on location today and will only be doing the front two legs. If I had 4 plates on hand, I'd do all 4, but that's pretty overkill, and I can't materialize two more leg plates today, anyway.

#5393 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

When I'm in there, I usually do all 4, but the front two are the ones that take the most stress, so they're all that NEED to be done. For example, I happen to only have 2 more leg plates on hand, so I'm going over to do the Iron Maiden on location today and will only be doing the front two legs. If I had 4 plates on hand, I'd do all 4, but that's pretty overkill.

Since im ordering mine as well do the backs too. Thanks and thanks for the writeup on what to use and how!

#5394 5 years ago

Thanks for posting the links Vireland. Kinda sad for the money we spend, but it is what it is. Preventative maintenance is always a good thing anyway.

#5395 5 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Thanks for posting the links Vireland. Kinda sad for the money we spend, but it is what it is. Preventative maintenance is always a good thing anyway.

The right screws were the hardest thing to find when I initially started looking around Ghostbusters time. But yeah, happy to save everyone else the trial and error.

#5396 5 years ago

My problem is that why should us as consumers have to pay for and install quality braces on these cabinets. If stern is using cheap wood why the hell are they not installing heavy duty braces from the factory so the consumer doesn’t have to deal with this. I have said many times I love stern games but their sacrifices in materials and quality are amazing given the prices of games now days. I was currently looking to buy a new stern but finding out these kinds of problems are still going on is just ridiculous as stern has known about this issue for how long now. Needless to say I will wait it out although that could be years until
They figure out how to fix the quality of these games. As long as people continue to buy them and deal/ pay for these after market fixes I guess stern will just continue to use cheaper materials

#5397 5 years ago

Venom, yer 1000% correct. But, and this is a big butt, I'm not going to punish myself by not buying a machine I love, over $5 in preventative maintenance. Literally. We by all means, should NOT have to be doing this. But I will grit my teeth, cuss, and do it. Then I will smile, have a cold beer, and play the fuck outta my Maiden. Sucks, but it's better than a sharp stick in the eye.

#5398 5 years ago

Just played the LE at Tilt (first time I've played Maiden). It's pretty awesome! However it was down for maintenance a lot... a couple of games in, the ball got stuck in the Pharoah lock (from the ramp). Later, I saw some other guys get the ball stuck too. Eventually they disabled the physical lock.

That said it still played great and was a ton of fun. I also got my name in 2nd - roughly 270m or so - so if you see my initials when you beat my score, let me know!

#5399 5 years ago
Quoted from Jason_Jehosaphat:

To any of you within driving distance of Minneapolis, come to Tilt and play the LE there.

I was just at Tilt and played the LE, it needs some fixin to say the least.
Ball was auto plunging, upper left flipper barely worked. Bottom right flipper went up a few times when not pressing the button so some leaf switch adjustments needed.
Ball gets stuck in the pharaohs tomb on the switch and wouldn’t come out even in ball search. Sarcophagus wouldn’t recognize when a ball was loaded causing ball search and left ramp shot not being recognized. Red GI lighting had been taken out of the game, I guess because it looks like crap.
Really looking forward to playing when it’s all tuned up, should be awsome when it’s playing correctly.
I’m planning on ordering a premium and almost did yesterday but my distributor had the day off, guess it was for the best. Gonna wait till I play one that works correctly.

5F284D30-7D3D-4300-8B58-DFC3EC2E1C98 (resized).jpeg5F284D30-7D3D-4300-8B58-DFC3EC2E1C98 (resized).jpeg

#5400 5 years ago

The Pro didn't play any better (without issues)?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wake Forest, NC
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 94.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 55.00
Playfield - Protection
Tucson Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
St. Charles, IL
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 34.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 24.50
$ 7.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 34.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

There are 7,177 posts in this topic. You are on page 108 of 144.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/next-new-title-from-stern-announced-this-saturday/page/108 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.