Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 780 posts
  • 210 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by northvibe
  • Topic is favorited by 14 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Next licensed theme from JJP will be...”

• Star Wars 77 votes
      19%
    • Harry Potter 93 votes
      22%
    • DC Comics 20 votes
      5%
    • Other 226 votes
      54%

(416 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Boost_Mobile_(resized).png
    samsung-flip-phone-saves-mans-life_(resized).jpg
    3-efbf94bf-290a-40d9-96ce-d63bf455c839_(resized).JPG
    money_(resized).png
    frankenhooker_(resized).jpg
    FRANKENHOOKER-3_(resized).jpg
    thunder_man_(resized).jpg
    20120725-210949_(resized).jpg
    forb_zone_(resized).jpg
    635894853320624598-dolemite-movie-poster-1975-1020433952_(resized).jpg
    eead1edcb7d13b718b4dc0d52cf0e0cd501da848_(resized).jpg
    untitled1_(resized).png
    untitled_(resized).png
    images_(resized).jpg
    the-wiz_(resized).jpg
    aiw1_(resized).jpg
    There are 780 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 16.
    #351 7 years ago
    Quoted from thewool:

I'm not a massive Harry Potter fan, the Mrs and the kids are. But if they went with that theme the stories and lore would make fantastic source material for pinball. Then there's the main events in the books, spells/wizards, sport, toy possibilities.

Magic is always a good theme with a pin I think. Pat Lawlor...never got to finish Wizard blocks

#352 7 years ago
    Quoted from FalconPunch:

Am I the only one that thinks jaws isn't the best title for a pin? I haven't seen it in a while. Isn't there only 1 real scene to draw off in the movie.... Killing the shark?
    Maybe it would be better as a fan retheme for the baywatch pin?

Way more than one scene with the shark.

#353 7 years ago

image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

#354 7 years ago
    Quoted from FalconPunch:

Am I the only one that thinks jaws isn't the best title for a pin? I haven't seen it in a while. Isn't there only 1 real scene to draw off in the movie.... Killing the shark?
    Maybe it would be better as a fan retheme for the baywatch pin?

I think, compared to Harry Potter, most themes are lacking.

However Jaws is a Super-Classic.

#355 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pinchroma:

Way more than one scene with the shark.

But only one scene where they (spoiler alert) kill the shark. The other scenes are of other people dieing, and them unsuccessfully trying to kill the shark? Just don't know how a programmer would make modes based off that.
    1980s, and 90s games didn't demand the complexity of the rules that modern games do! Love to be proven wrong but just don't think its good enough to be a modern game.

#356 7 years ago
    Quoted from FalconPunch:

But only one scene where they (spoiler alert) kill the shark. The other scenes are of other people dieing, and them unsuccessfully trying to kill the shark? Just don't know how a programmer would make modes based off that.
    1980s, and 90s games didn't demand the complexity of the rules that modern games do! Love to be proven wrong but just don't think its good enough to be a modern game.

not much of a spoiler alert...I don't think you can miss it lol

#357 7 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

oh f$%#$%$%
    A Queen Elizabeth pin?
    good lord, Id even pick WoZ over that theme....

Been done already....

image-1.jpgimage-1.jpg

#358 7 years ago
    Quoted from FalconPunch:

The other scenes

We are going to need a bigger boat multiball. Comparing scars and drinking mode. The limerick mode. Finger nails on chalkboard mode. Shark cage mode.

Lots of good material for a pin.

LTG : )

#359 7 years ago
    Quoted from FalconPunch:

You never know, there could be "Ladies of Spain" and "Show me the way to go home" multiball modes, lol

#360 7 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

You never know, there could be "Ladies of Spain" and "Show me the way to go home" multiball modes, lol

Add barrels to the shark mode. The list goes on and on.

#361 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pinchroma:

Add barrels to the shark mode. The list goes on and on.

Absolutely. Good idea! You could have multiple barrel modes based on the number of barrels on the shark. The harpoon could be a motorized canon toy. There's no way he can go under with 3 barrels!

Another cool toy idea is a minature motorized shark cage that when the ball goes into it drops below the playfield. Inserts could then turn to various shades of blue for various shark cage modes.

#362 7 years ago

Not happening but would love to see this.

fifth2.giffifth2.gif

#363 7 years ago

This.

7-lightning.gif7-lightning.gif

#364 7 years ago

Or this.

killer-klowns_3.gifkiller-klowns_3.gif

#366 7 years ago

Would Jaws be a big selling theme nowadays? They removed the Jaws ride in Universal Studios Florida and no one seemed to care.

#367 7 years ago

Yippee ki yay mother #&£¥₩$. Die Hard pin based on #1 and #2

#368 7 years ago

Personally, I'd love to see Keefer program a spiritual successor to TSPP in the form of a Futurama pin.

But Harry Potter would also be a good theme with TONS of source material.

#369 7 years ago

I want Blues Brothers !

giphy_(resized).pnggiphy_(resized).png

#370 7 years ago
    Quoted from schaedl:

I want Blues Brothers !

Illinois nazis..... I hate Illinois nazis.

Well it would have awesome music.

#371 7 years ago
    Quoted from craigj:

I personally think the biggest theme that could be secured is Minecraft. Kids and adults would flock to it. I've been playing minecraft on pc for years now with my kids. It has universal appeal just like WOZ. There are a lot of possibilities with an LCD monitor, as you progress in the game Steve could be building a large structure, maybe a castle or just a house depending on the mode. This theme could actually make use of a nice LCD screen.

The problem with Minecraft is that it is just way too new for the older pinball audience to have the feels for it, or even know about it if they don't have younger kids. I've expressed before that JJP should strongly consider video game properties because of where gaming entertainment is and will be going. Still the the obvious partnership in anything video gaming should be Nintendo. Characters like Super Mario and Donkey Kong are 30+ years old at this point and pinheads have played their games in the past and are still highly highly relevant in the modern day.

#372 7 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Absolutely. Good idea! You could have multiple barrel modes based on the number of barrels on the shark. The harpoon could be a motorized canon toy. There's no way he can go under with 3 barrels!
    Another cool toy idea is a minature motorized shark cage that when the ball goes into it drops below the playfield. Inserts could then turn to various shades of blue for various shark cage modes.

Or a shark toy who talks to you and steals your balls!

#373 7 years ago

I have heard four things:

* It will not be a wide body
    * Even if you know the title, you would not guess the theme
    * Jack has played the game (its complete to some degree)
    * Will be shown at Expo this year

#374 7 years ago
    Quoted from Skyemont:

I have heard four things:
    * It will not be a wide body
    * Even if you know the title, you would not guess the theme
    * Jack has played the game (its complete to some degree)
    * Will be shown at Expo this year

That's the Lawler game. It's not licensed.

#375 7 years ago
    Quoted from rubberducks:

That's the Lawler game. It's not licensed.

Yup there's another thread on that..... But since we are talking about it..... It's almost a guaranteed buy for me!

#376 7 years ago
    Quoted from Skyemont:

Will be shown at Expo this year

Expo will certainly be exciting this year.

#377 7 years ago
    Quoted from lurch:

Yup there's another thread on that..... But since we are talking about it..... It's almost a guaranteed buy for me!

I'd be interested to see what price point they put it at if it is indeed a narrow body. Hobbit is slightly cheaper than WOZ, and I assume they'll continue to look for economies of scale to reduce prices enough to max production at their facility.

#378 7 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Will the theme be announced before then?

#379 7 years ago
    Quoted from rubberducks:

I'd be interested to see what price point they put it at if it is indeed a narrow body. Hobbit is slightly cheaper than WOZ, and I assume they'll continue to look for economies of scale to reduce prices enough to max production at their facility.

Also the faster you build them and get them sold the lower your costs are over all.

#380 7 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Which Expo is it? I'm planning on CA Extreme atm.

#382 7 years ago

DAMN! 5 more months? Noooooooooooooooo......

#383 7 years ago
    Quoted from schaedl:

I want Blues Brothers !

Three orange whips!

#384 7 years ago
    Quoted from nitrojcrawf:

Three orange whips!

We have both kinds, country and western

#385 7 years ago

DEVO ! ...Flip it,...Flip it good!

#386 7 years ago
    Quoted from Strange:

The problem with Minecraft is that it is just way too new for the older pinball audience to have the feels for it, or even know about it if they don't have younger kids. I've expressed before that JJP should strongly consider video game properties because of where gaming entertainment is and will be going. Still the the obvious partnership in anything video gaming should be Nintendo. Characters like Super Mario and Donkey Kong are 30+ years old at this point and pinheads have played their games in the past and are still highly highly relevant in the modern day.

"just too new for the older pinball audience" is EXACTLY what is required.

#387 7 years ago

Everything but Minecraft plz

#388 7 years ago

As much as I'd like to see younger kids getting more into pinball, I just don't see them enjoying Minecraft as a pinball machine. I think the hype of Minecraft is slowly dying anyway. JJP should put their spin on a music / band based pin, it's worked well for Stern.

#389 7 years ago

The licence doesn't matter that much to plenty of older pinheads. Just because I am old doesn't make me a fan of woz or hobbit. I'm not. But they are great pinball machines. So use the theme to pull in younger people.

#390 7 years ago

How about a Real Madrid v Barcelona soccer theme ? Messi v Ronaldo. Worldwide appeal to youngsters and adults. Or World Cup 2018/2022. The latter leaves plenty of time.

#391 7 years ago

I would love to see jjp do a toy story, original muppets show, and pirates of Caribbean. These are of course rumored licenses, but the more I think about it, I like them all, especially toy story.

#392 7 years ago
    Quoted from jungle:

How about a Real Madrid v Barcelona soccer theme ? Messi v Ronaldo. Worldwide appeal to youngsters and adults. Or World Cup 2018/2022. The latter leaves plenty of time.

WC 2022 would have to have a "Enslave the Workers" mode and a "Bribery" mode.

#393 7 years ago
    Quoted from jungle:

The licence doesn't matter that much to plenty of older pinheads. Just because I am old doesn't make me a fan of woz or hobbit. I'm not. But they are great pinball machines. So use the theme to pull in younger people.

It's does in a sense. I can enjoy both pins but not sure I am going to plunk down 7K for a theme I don't like at all and have it in my home.
    4K ish - maybe

#394 7 years ago
    Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

It's does in a sense. I can enjoy both pins but not sure I am going to plunk down 7K for a theme I don't like at all and have it in my home.
    4K ish - maybe

I thought that way until WoZ. But once i played i was hooked, now i have one and still hate the theme!!!!

#395 7 years ago

Sure that's what I was meaning with woz and hobbit. Jack was proved right in going with them especially the former to start with because it's timeless rather than old. I don't think Super Mario 70's era stuff is in the same league. A soccer theme would likely have a long life. Yes some people hate soccer ( and maybe all sports ) but of course you hate millions that love it.

#396 7 years ago

Words came out wrong there. No problem if people hate sports.

#397 7 years ago
    Quoted from jungle:

Good in theory, until you realize it still needs to be purchased by COLLECTORS.

Plus, theme alone is not going pull kids heads out of their iPhones to play pinball...If they did, then games like Shrek, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Flintstones, etc would have resulted in droves of kids clamoring for pinball.... didn't happen.

(Please spare me the anecdotal stories of fellow pinheads kids who LOVE pinball)

#398 7 years ago

Theme is HUGE to me. I won't buy a game if theme sucks no matter how good gameplay is. On the flip side, I won't buy a great theme with crappy gameplay. There has to be a balance.

As for theme getting kids interested in Pinball, let's be honest. The only kids these days that will ever be interested in Pinball are pinheads kids. Kids that have machines in their house to play and learn. Most kids don't have this luxury, and without arcades like the 70's-80's, there just isn't any exposure to them like we grew up with.

Would a crummy Minecraft pinball appeal to kids now. Probably, but only briefly. Pinball has to be geared towards adults and or entire families the sell. I would never buy a Minecraft pin, even if my kids wanted it because the novelty would wear off, and I have no personal interest in it.

#399 7 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

...If they did, then games like Shrek, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Flintstones, etc would have resulted in droves of kids clamoring for pinball.... didn't happen.

In their defense those games are shit

#400 7 years ago
    Quoted from konghusker:

I would love to see jjp do a toy story, original muppets show, and pirates of Caribbean. These are of course rumored licenses, but the more I think about it, I like them all, especially toy story.

New Toy Story movie comes out June 16, 2017 according to unconfirmed Internet Buzz. See what I did there? Buzz? Ha!

There are 780 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 16.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/next-licensed-theme-from-jjp-will-be/page/8 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.