Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 780 posts
  • 210 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by northvibe
  • Topic is favorited by 14 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Next licensed theme from JJP will be...”

• Star Wars 77 votes
      19%
    • Harry Potter 93 votes
      22%
    • DC Comics 20 votes
      5%
    • Other 226 votes
      54%

(416 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Boost_Mobile_(resized).png
    samsung-flip-phone-saves-mans-life_(resized).jpg
    3-efbf94bf-290a-40d9-96ce-d63bf455c839_(resized).JPG
    money_(resized).png
    frankenhooker_(resized).jpg
    FRANKENHOOKER-3_(resized).jpg
    thunder_man_(resized).jpg
    20120725-210949_(resized).jpg
    forb_zone_(resized).jpg
    635894853320624598-dolemite-movie-poster-1975-1020433952_(resized).jpg
    eead1edcb7d13b718b4dc0d52cf0e0cd501da848_(resized).jpg
    untitled1_(resized).png
    untitled_(resized).png
    images_(resized).jpg
    the-wiz_(resized).jpg
    aiw1_(resized).jpg
    There are 780 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 16.
    #151 8 years ago
    Quoted from DefaultGen:

I don't see a Harry Potter pin ever with a billionaire who actively dislikes pinball having veto power over that one. Done by JJP it would be too good to be true.
    Nintendo or Lego would be big themes. A classic arcade theme with licensed games from Namco or Atari would be another dream theme.

I could write a book on the possibilities of the Harry Potter series of pinball machines that SHOULD be. Seven machines, seven playfield designers, coders, ext. It's a blessing that this license must wait to become part of the next generation of pinball where it's full potential can be realized.

#152 8 years ago

I hope they can make it to 4... The hobbit is not exactly an evergreen title as it's based on the movies, which were pretty disappointing and will be out on video for almost a year. The rate that they come out with these games are too slow to make a profit imho.

#153 8 years ago
    Quoted from bb2j3z:

I hope they can make it to 4... The hobbit is not exactly an evergreen title as it's based on the movies, which were pretty disappointing and will be out on video for almost a year. The rate that they come out with these games are too slow to make a profit imho.

I also doubt the enduring attractiveness of TH as a theme. They certainly won't sell as many as if it had been ready to go a year ago, though given the complete package many may ignore this.

WOZ on the other hand I'd expect them to continue selling for at least another 5 years with little if any slow down. It'll sell and sell and the theme won't lose its lustre.

#154 8 years ago

I don't know aboot Munsters. They've tried 2 semi recent reboots and failed horribly...but I guess if it's strictly selling the old school to fans it could work. I wouldn't mind the theme...could be pretty interesting.

#155 8 years ago
    Quoted from rubberducks:

I also doubt the enduring attractiveness of TH as a theme. They certainly won't sell as many as if it had been ready to go a year ago, though given the complete package many may ignore this.
    WOZ on the other hand I'd expect them to continue selling for at least another 5 years with little if any slow down. It'll sell and sell and the theme won't lose its lustre.

I would keep making WOZ until they got there last dollar from them. Great game and theme. Future generations will compare it as what we do with TZ. A truly stand-out game. As for the Hobbit. I'll agree the movie just didn't hit it like LOTR did. I'm afraid the pin won't either. I only played it twice at show so still need to give it a chance before making any judgment. With good rules, Modes and code this game could be a sleeper.

#156 8 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

I would keep making WOZ until they got there last dollar from them. Great game and theme. Future generations will compare it as what we do with TZ. A truly stand-out game. As for the Hobbit. I'll agree the movie just didn't hit it like LOTR did. I'm afraid the pin won't either. I only played it twice at show so still need to give it a chance before making any judgment. With good rules, Modes and code this game could be a sleeper.

I wasn't saying stop after 5 years. I mean, they may, but I don't see why they would. I meant it's unlikely sales of WOZ will slow significantly, unless they're at capacity and have newer games to shift, for 5 years; external circumstances not withstanding (economic shocks etc). With continued refinement of the software, and a new limited edition every couple of years, they could milk it for a really long time. Ruby Red must be due for replacement soonish, or some time later in the year.

Seems almost unthinkable to me that even if they are producing Hobbits in 5 years, that they'll be selling many, however good the game is. Unless there are delays on games 3 & 4, I doubt it will be worth them extending the license beyond the initial 2 years of retail or what ever it is.

#157 8 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

this game could be a sleeper.

I think it is a sleeper. The prototype I played nearly a year or more ago completely immersed me with the audio and visual aspects alone. I had a few weak games, but at one point I really had it rocking and rolling, went into several different multi balls, and although the play field is rather open, the trolls pop up at all the right times and really up the intensity and reaction time. I think it's extremely well done and a completely different flow than WOZ.

#158 8 years ago

How about one of these:

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
    Get Smart
    Sons of Anarchy

Could do some crazy stuff with any one of those. I think Charlie and the Chocolate Factory would be the best one.

#159 8 years ago
    Quoted from Tonic67:

How about one of these:
    Get Smart
    Sons of Anarchy
    Could do some crazy stuff with any one of those. I think Charlie and the Chocolate Factory would be the best one.

I would rather see the original movie Willy Wonka and the Chocolate factory. Think it would sell just as good as WOZ.
    If they came out with it I would have to buy a WOZ just to have them side by side.

#160 8 years ago
    Quoted from rubberducks:

I wasn't saying stop after 5 years. I mean, they may, but I don't see why they would. I meant it's unlikely sales of WOZ will slow significantly, .

Really?

Right now WoZ is still the ONLY game in production with a LCD display- it's still incredibly unique.

a year from now, 2 years from now? There may be half a dozen games with newer display technology and WoZ will lose much of that uniqueness.

Im not suggesting it will die, but I think it will obviously decline in demand (like ALL games do). There will also be more available on the secondary market as current Wozzers get a look at TH, JJP #3, #4, etc.

#161 8 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

Right now WoZ is still the ONLY game in production with a LCD display

Not counting Full throttle, even if the number of pin already produced is probably relatively small.

But I completely agree with the rest of the post.

#162 8 years ago
    Quoted from Strange:

I've already said it before... Just one of the big Nintendo properties....
    Super Mario Bros.
    The Legend of Zelda
    These two would be no brainers on the Nintendo side.

Castelvania is my vote for years followed by Ninga Gaiden.

#163 8 years ago
    Quoted from kaneda:

Wait a minute boys, my JJP mind can only speculate on one theme at a time. We're still speculating when Hobbit will ship. Now you want me to speculate on ANOTHER JJP theme?
    In all seriousness, I can't see JJP lasting past Hobbit/Lawlor delays (which will come). 7 years to fulfill orders on 2 pins? Game Over.

Quality my friend!!

#164 8 years ago

the delay has got me wondering if the hobbit will end up losing sales because the thrill is gone.

granted, SWEP1 wasn't the best title that bally/williams produced, but the situation was similar where it hurt them severely that the title wasn't released until well after the movie had come and gone

with jack touting that the machine would be in people's hands at the launch of the 3rd movie (and now 14 months later) games still are not shipping, it's a wonder that more people haven't pulled out of their reservation spots

I think that it would be best for the community as well as JJP if they can get their process to the point where, like stern, they could announce a title, and then release it within the next month or two afterwards. it's a pipe dream, but given all of the drama within the past 2 years, its something that I don't think that they can afford to continue along this path

that old adage "fool me once, shame on you. fool me twice, shame on me" comes to mind and the hobbit is the "twice"

#165 8 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

the delay has got me wondering if the hobbit will end up losing sales because the thrill is gone.
    granted, SWEP1 wasn't the best title that bally/williams produced, but the situation was similar where it hurt them severely that the title wasn't released until well after the movie had come and gone
    with jack touting that the machine would be in people's hands at the launch of the 3rd movie (and now 14 months later) games still are not shipping, it's a wonder that more people haven't pulled out of their reservation spots
    I think that it would be best for the community as well as JJP if they can get their process to the point where, like stern, they could announce a title, and then release it within the next month or two afterwards. it's a pipe dream, but given all of the drama within the past 2 years, its something that I don't think that they can afford to continue along this path
    that old adage "fool me once, shame on you. fool me twice, shame on me" comes to mind and the hobbit is the "twice"

Why do you think they haven't announced Pats machine yet?

#166 8 years ago
    Quoted from FalconPunch:

Because pat is off the project and there is no pats game anymore?

#167 8 years ago
    Quoted from FalconPunch:

pat_(resized).jpgpat_(resized).jpg

#168 8 years ago
    Quoted from SilverBallz:

Whatca talking about Willis!

#169 8 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

Really?
    Right now WoZ is still the ONLY game in production with a LCD display- it's still incredibly unique.
    a year from now, 2 years from now? There may be half a dozen games with newer display technology and WoZ will lose much of that uniqueness.
    Im not suggesting it will die, but I think it will obviously decline in demand (like ALL games do). There will also be more available on the secondary market as current Wozzers get a look at TH, JJP #3, #4, etc.

It's still a relatively rare machine out in the wild, and the more they sell to home market the more follow on sales they'll get. Hopefully they manage to bring the price down with a more active production line too.

I think it's the whole package, not just an LCD. No offense to Heighway, Stern, DP & Spooky (amongst others), but i don't think they'll be matching the work put into the graphics and animations and the visual fidelity all that soon, let alone exceeding it.

#170 8 years ago
    Quoted from rubberducks:

It's still a relatively rare machine out in the wild, ..

I thought it is tied for 2nd place on top earning pins.

#171 8 years ago

Four pages into this thing, and I'll take "No Next Game" vs the field above.

#172 8 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

I wonder if part of that had to do with releasing after the movie at all. Episode 1 was fairly hated by the masses.

#173 8 years ago
    Quoted from FalconPunch:

The order process for JJP #3 will tell us everything there is to know about the health of JJP. I've long since stopped believing ANYTHING Jack say. He's shown a complete disdain for the truth and a willingness to say anything to keep people on preorders.

Similar to football: I played linebacker and the rule was, don't watch their eyes, you watch their belt buckle to know where they're going. With JJP, their beltbuckle is preorder money.

If JJP moves to a $500-$1000 down, balance due upon shipment- then things are rosy! Rejoice!
    If JJP has some convoluted program where more than a modest downpayment is due, then I'm worried.

As a long-time (B/W) PL fanboy, Im anxiously awaiting info on Pat's game (and hoping it ZERO resemblance to the leaked info).... so Im really hoping for the later.

#174 8 years ago

I think "The Nightmare Before Christmas" would be a match made in heaven theme for JJP. IMO the best animated film of all time and a timeless classic. Art and sound on JJP games are some of the best ever. This source material would give them amazing things to work with.

#175 8 years ago
    Quoted from OldSchoolBlood:

I think "The Nightmare Before Christmas" would be a match made in heaven theme for JJP. IMO the best animated film of all time and a timeless classic. Art and sound on JJP games are some of the best ever. This source material would give them amazing things to work with.

Completely agree. Oh, and look, some talented person has already done most of the work for them

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-nightmare-before-christmas

#176 8 years ago
    Quoted from SilverBallz:

Wrong on both parts.

LTG : )

#177 8 years ago

[personal attack removed by moderator]

#178 8 years ago
    Quoted from goldant:

I wonder if part of that had to do with releasing after the movie at all. Episode 1 was fairly hated by the masses.

the same could be said of the hobbit by LotR fans (as many feel that TH was one big masturbatory wank by jackson). still, it hasn't helped JJP's cause that they revealed their hand as early as they did and then it's just been repeated delay after delay after delay. I'm anxious to see it released and in the wild. and while I think WOZ was a great pin (design, layout and depth of coding), the theme just wasn't my cup of tea.

I still think that they did a fantastic job on the visual presentation for diagnostics, but that's the geek in me and probably under appreciated by more than 80% of the owners out there (especially if WOZ was their first pin

#179 8 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

I thought it is tied for 2nd place on top earning pins.

JJP have one product (WOZ) and supposedly 30-40% of their machines ship outside of the US / Canada ... yet there are a total of 13 public locations to play it outside of the US / Canada (107 locations), and unlike the privately owned machines outside the US / Canada, I doubt the Pinside distribution map under represents them at all.

#180 8 years ago

StarTrek 50th ann, original cast, original series, oh man that would be great.

ST_TOS_Cast_(resized).jpgST_TOS_Cast_(resized).jpg

STIn_Beauty_(resized).jpgSTIn_Beauty_(resized).jpg

William_Shatner_Star_Trek_first_episode_1966_(resized).jpgWilliam_Shatner_Star_Trek_first_episode_1966_(resized).jpg

Leonard_Nimoy_William_Shatner_Star_Trek_1968_(resized).JPGLeonard_Nimoy_William_Shatner_Star_Trek_1968_(resized).JPG

#181 8 years ago

Fantasia_(resized).jpgFantasia_(resized).jpg

centuars_(resized).jpgcentuars_(resized).jpg

fantasia-sunflower-centaur-racist_(resized).jpgfantasia-sunflower-centaur-racist_(resized).jpg

#182 8 years ago

hmmm... that last image is about as racist (a black, subservient slave centaur?!?) as disney's earlier endevour (which is no longer available), so why not 'song of the south'?

tar_baby_(resized).jpgtar_baby_(resized).jpg

#183 8 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

StarTrek 50th ann, original cast, original series, oh man that would be great.

ST_TOS_Cast_(resized).jpgSTIn_Beauty_(resized).jpgWilliam_Shatner_Star_Trek_first_episode_1966_(resized).jpgLeonard_Nimoy_William_Shatner_Star_Trek_1968_(resized).JPG

That would be great. Better get this made while Shatner and Sulu are still alive.

#184 8 years ago
    Quoted from nitrojcrawf:

Whatca talking about Willis!

Would it really be that surprising at this point?
    With JJP, seeing is believing.

#185 8 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

The order process for JJP #3 will tell us everything there is to know about the health of JJP. I've long since stopped believing ANYTHING Jack say. He's shown a complete disdain for the truth and a willingness to say anything to keep people on preorders.
    Similar to football: I played linebacker and the rule was, don't watch their eyes, you watch their belt buckle to know where they're going. With JJP, their beltbuckle is preorder money.
    If JJP moves to a $500-$1000 down, balance due upon shipment- then things are rosy! Rejoice!
    If JJP has some convoluted program where more than a modest downpayment is due, then I'm worried.
    As a long-time (B/W) PL fanboy, Im anxiously awaiting info on Pat's game (and hoping it ZERO resemblance to the leaked info).... so Im really hoping for the later.

I do find it interesting that people associate the existence of the pre-order model as a barometer of JJP's future success. If I was Jack, I would continue the model for as long as the market would allow. What is clear is that early pre-orders have been awarded cheaper machines (even with time value of money considered). The downside has been the wait. So if one is fine with the wait, it appears that everyone is a winner with this pre-pay model. It really doesn't seem to harm those that don't want to do it either. At least not too much. Those parties seem to pay a little more and have to wait a little longer.

All parties though appear to be getting awesome machines. I say "appear" because TH hasn't shipped yet. It does though seem to be a reality in the coming months and all will be playing lots of pinball!

When I look at a companies success, I look at two things above anything else. I look at the product and how they support their customers. So far, JJP has done well in those two categories. They need to close the development cycle. That is clearly what is killing them. Long term they can't have a machine once every two years. Just not sustainable.

#186 8 years ago
    Quoted from iamabearsfan:

I do find it interesting that people associate the existence of the pre-order model as a barometer of JJP's future success. If I was Jack, I would continue the model for as long as the market would allow. What is clear is that early pre-orders have been awarded cheaper machines (even with time value of money considered). The downside has been the wait. So if one is fine with the wait, it appears that everyone is a winner with this pre-pay model. It really doesn't seem to harm those that don't want to do it either. At least not too much. Those parties seem to pay a little more and have to wait a little longer.
    All parties though appear to be getting awesome machines. I say "appear" because TH hasn't shipped yet. It does though seem to be a reality in the coming months and all will be playing lots of pinball!
    When I look at a companies success, I look at two things above anything else. I look at the product and how they support their customers. So far, JJP has done well in those two categories. They need to close the development cycle. That is clearly what is killing them. Long term they can't have a machine once every two years. Just not sustainable.

I agree with this 100%. My thought is, if JJP can not produce 1 pinball per year, it's over. I don't think Sterns quality is the same but the quantity sure is better.

#187 8 years ago
    Quoted from Skyemont:

I agree with this 100%. My thought is, if JJP can not produce 1 pinball per year, it's over. I don't think Sterns quality is the same but the quantity sure is better.

JJP's strength is clearly innovative design, software, sound.
    They can't manufacture to save their lives.

Do you think they would have been better off trying to cut a PPS/CGC type deal with Stern? JJP designs, Stern cranks them out.

Given the personalities, it probably counts have happened, but it sure would have been nice in many respects.

#188 8 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

Do you think they would have been better off trying to cut a PPS/CGC type deal with Stern? JJP designs, Stern cranks them out.
    Given the personalities, it probably counts have happened, but it sure would have been nice in many respects.

I don't think JJP and Stern working together would work. JJP technology is so far past Stern, Gary would be confused. So if you like both JJP and Stern pinballs, you are in fantastic shape. Me, I don't like Stern pins so I have to wait or buy used Williams/Bally pins. If you look at my collection, you will see.

#189 8 years ago

How about a Peanuts theme? Tons of toys to choose from with a Wizard Mode goal of Charlie Brown kicking the football succesfully. Could be cool on an LCD. Only issue I can think of is music. Not sure I could handle the Peanuts theme song over and over.

#190 8 years ago
    Quoted from Skyemont:

I don't think JJP and Stern working together would work. JJP technology is so far past Stern, Gary would be confused. So if you like both JJP and Stern pinballs, you are in fantastic shape. Me, I don't like Stern pins so I have to wait or buy used Williams/Bally pins. If you look at my collection, you will see.

I was going to downvote your post, as I disagree with the part about JJP technology & Gary being confused. I didn't, but want to explain my feelings on your statement; Gary is a businessman and Lawyer by education. He is sharp. He didn't keep companies running and paying himself a nice salary to live a comfortable lifestyle by getting "confused".

Gary runs a manufacturing business and he runs it well. This is how money is made; Raw materials in, product that people buy, out. MMR is different technology and Gary was chosen to build it. Stern has done other Contract Manufacturing as well. Heck, when Stern Electronics was his baby in the late '70's & early '80's, he ran a separate Company (which he bought out of bankruptcy in the late '70's) that not only developed & made circuit boards for Stern Electronics' pins & videos, but for other electronic product manufacturers as well (Universal Research Laboratories).

#191 8 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

I was going to downvote your post, as I disagree with the part about JJP technology & Gary being confused. I didn't, but want to explain my feelings on your statement; Gary is a businessman and Lawyer by education. He is sharp. He didn't keep companies running and paying himself a nice salary to live a comfortable lifestyle by getting "confused".
    Gary runs a manufacturing business and he runs it well. This is how money is made; Raw materials in, product that people buy, out. MMR is different technology and Gary was chosen to build it. Stern has done other Contract Manufacturing as well. Heck, when Stern Electronics was his baby in the late '70's & early '80's, he ran a separate Company (which he bought out of bankruptcy in the late '70's) that not only developed & made circuit boards for Stern Electronics' pins & videos, but for other electronic product manufacturers as well (Universal Research Laboratories).

I appreciate you not downvoting my post, i would not be able to sleep.

#192 8 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Yea, I was going to comment but I held up. Your analysis is spot on. JJP is not more advanced , not even close.

#193 8 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

Agree Stern build quality not on same page as JJP.

But Stern have Lyman and when he codes a game it is fun as hell. And in all this waiting time he has given us ACDC, Metallica and WD so much as though there are many things about Stern games that bug the heck out of me, Lyman ensures I still buy Stern.

#194 8 years ago
    Quoted from Classic_Stern:

Yea, I was going to comment but I held up. Your analysis is spot on. JJP is not more advanced , not even close.

That's what makes these threads so fun. Everyone has so many different opinions. It's great..

#195 8 years ago

Although I do question the financial strength of pinball company who has one game released in 5 years, and is struggling to ship their latest game- I do hope JJP's investors are sticking by them and funding them appropriately because they are obviously not profitable at the moment. I do wish them the best and hope they are successful!! I'm sure the business plan is set and they are working to churn out some quality titles down the road.

With that said, I'd love JJP to license these:

Knight Rider
    Mortal Kombat
    Nintendo Hits-based theme

#196 8 years ago
    Quoted from kpg:

Although I do question the financial strength of pinball company who has one game released in 5 years, and is struggling to ship their latest game- I do hope JJP's investors are sticking by them and funding them appropriately because they are obviously not profitable at the moment. I do wish them the best and hope they are successful!! I'm sure the business plan is set and they are working to churn out some quality titles down the road.
    With that said, I'd love JJP to license these:
    Knight Rider
    Mortal Kombat
    Nintendo Hits-based theme

Agree, I just like when people say what they are going to do and then do what they say. Integrity breeds success as we all know.

#197 8 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Agree Stern build quality not on same page as JJP.

That's true.

Stern games are much better built, but you can't really judge a company that has only put out a single game.

In 20 years if JJP is still around, THEN we could more fairly judge their overall quality.

#198 8 years ago

Bruce Willis! Yeah!
    Die_Hard_(resized).jpgDie_Hard_(resized).jpg

#199 8 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

MMR is different technology

That's some advanced shit there.

#200 8 years ago

The main aspect we need to consider is what assets can be used for the next jjp pin. Its going to have to be something current so Keith and the art guy can master the fuck out of those assets and integrate them artfully. Woz was great, but hobbit really took the video and audio from the movies and brought them into a masterpiece

There are 780 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 16.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/next-licensed-theme-from-jjp-will-be/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.