Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 780 posts
  • 210 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by northvibe
  • Topic is favorited by 14 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Next licensed theme from JJP will be...”

• Star Wars 77 votes
      19%
    • Harry Potter 93 votes
      22%
    • DC Comics 20 votes
      5%
    • Other 226 votes
      54%

(416 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Boost_Mobile_(resized).png
    samsung-flip-phone-saves-mans-life_(resized).jpg
    3-efbf94bf-290a-40d9-96ce-d63bf455c839_(resized).JPG
    money_(resized).png
    frankenhooker_(resized).jpg
    FRANKENHOOKER-3_(resized).jpg
    thunder_man_(resized).jpg
    20120725-210949_(resized).jpg
    forb_zone_(resized).jpg
    635894853320624598-dolemite-movie-poster-1975-1020433952_(resized).jpg
    eead1edcb7d13b718b4dc0d52cf0e0cd501da848_(resized).jpg
    untitled1_(resized).png
    untitled_(resized).png
    images_(resized).jpg
    the-wiz_(resized).jpg
    aiw1_(resized).jpg
    There are 780 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 16.
    #701 7 years ago
    Quoted from T-800:

White trash, slutty, Alice in wonderland is free domain...

Cake by the ocean....

#702 7 years ago

How about a McDonalds game. Plenty of toy options available and we all remember them as kids. Has there ever been a fast food pin ?

#703 7 years ago

How about compete with Spookey and come out with a Pizza Hut in lieu of Domino's.

#704 7 years ago
    Quoted from FalconPunch:

But if you want to sell a pinball machine, and use the name 'alice in wonderland' everything would need to be approved wouldn't it?

No, it is in the Public Domain.

You could even sell another Wizard of Oz pinball machine, as long as it did not contain any art/sounds from the movie version - because it's in the Public Domain too.

#705 7 years ago
    Quoted from Skyemont:

How about compete with Spookey and come out with a Pizza Hut in lieu of Domino's.

How about it be internet connected so that it actually orders you a pizza based on your play... Make shots to add toppings... Drain gets you anchovies.

I think I'm hungry and a little too tired at the moment lol

#706 7 years ago
    Quoted from FalconPunch:

But if you want to sell a pinball machine, and use the name 'alice in wonderland' everything would need to be approved wouldn't it? Unless this is a homebrew project they just plan on making a couple of? I don't really know who Riot Pinball are

Approved by who? Disney? No. It doesn't matter who Riot Pinball are. They don't have to ask permission from a single soul to make an Alice in Wonderland game. The book, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland was published in 1865, it's free and clear of copyright. And the name has been shortened to Alice in Wonderland multiple times, again by projects in the public domain, so no problem there either if you want to use that name.

No license, no approvals, use it as you wish. You simply can't copy the look of the Disney version, or use audio from it or something like that.

#707 7 years ago

Mad Max would be cool! Charlie and the chocolate factory does sound like something right up JJP's alley..but who knows!

#708 7 years ago
    Quoted from merccat:

How about it be internet connected so that it actually orders you a pizza based on your play... Make shots to add toppings... Drain gets you anchovies.
    I think I'm hungry and a little too tired at the moment lol

Flippers can be filled with cheese instead of stuffed crust.

#709 7 years ago

Chopper Command (A2600)

#710 7 years ago

After WOZ and Hobbit, can we be sure that there is another one. I mean, I want to see them survive, but they seem to be 0 for 2 at this point.

#711 7 years ago
    Quoted from Animal:

they seem to be 0 for 2 at this point.

0 for 2 at what ? Sales ?

LTG : )

#712 7 years ago
    Quoted from Animal:

After WOZ and Hobbit, can we be sure that there is another one. I mean, I want to see them survive, but they seem to be 0 for 2 at this point.

Well for you maybe and me as I'm not a fan of either but alot of people really like WOZ and TH, I think PL's game will elevate JJP to a new level, I hope so, also looking forward to a SciFi theme from them.

#713 7 years ago

the-wiz_(resized).jpgthe-wiz_(resized).jpg

#714 7 years ago
    Quoted from Animal:

You need to get your head checked.

#715 7 years ago
    Quoted from Animal:

5000+ games sold is 0-2??

#716 7 years ago

Why doesnt JJP make a more affordable game, aka PRO, for us not so able to spend more than $5K for a pinball machine? I think they are limiting themselves with all these high end and LE models. Reach a bigger crowd and sell more product. I like what they did TH but I will NEVER spend more than $5K for a pinball machine.

#717 7 years ago
    Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Why doesnt JJP make a more affordable game, aka PRO, for us not so able to spend more than $5K for a pinball machine? I think they are limiting themselves with all these high end and LE models. Reach a bigger crowd and sell more product. I like what they did TH but I will NEVER spend more than $5K for a pinball machine.

Good question but I must admit my son and I talked a lot at the Denver show this weekend how stripped down some of the recent pros including GOT, GB, and other seem compared to some of the earlier pro versions. Several had almost identical playfields but cosmetic differences and many some minor things not on the pros but played fairly similar to their more costly versions.

The thing I like about JJP model so far is that on the standard you get the exact same playfield, rules etc. It's "just" cosmetic and art changes, powder coating and some other changes from the LE's versus standard. Personally I like that standards WOZs didn't lose toys or playfield items on the standards versus the LE's.

However trying to imagine WOZ and TH pros I can see your point that perhaps there could be less expensive versions with perhaps some things taken off or made out of less expensive materials to lower costs. However thinking about that JJP is still really a fairly new company perhaps having even one more version of the game with different parts or similar parts made out of different materials would actually not be efficient or feasible right now. Could involve more vendors to make things and potential for more things not to work the same or very well if things are made cheaper.

I do understand paying over 5K hurts. I was in this hobby for about 6 years and never paid more than around 3.5K until I got a slightly used WOZ. Was a huge jump in spending but do love the game and have no plans to sell if for many, many years. Maybe when I'm too old and feeble to enjoy playing any pins at all, who knows?

#718 7 years ago

"After WOZ and Hobbit, can we be sure that there is another one. I mean, I want to see them survive, but they seem to be 0 for 2 at this point."

Jury's to me still out on TH. At the Denver show this weekend the TH's were playing on a new code that hasn't yet been released officially and can't yet be downloaded online. I enjoyed the game-play even more from earlier codes. JJP has been great in fact awesome at supporting and updating WOZ's codes and will do the same for TH, I believe. For you they are currently 0-2. But there are many who love WOZ and believe TH has great potential to still turn out to be very good. Many owners on Pinside really seem to love TH. Full disclosure I don't own one. Most likely I will but I did pre-order WOZ or TH.

I'm not trying to pick a fight or convince you to change your mind. If you see them as 0-2 nothing I can say can or should change your views. And I support you fully in expressing them as is appropriate after all in a forum.

Maybe Lawlor's game will be a home run for you and others who don't like WOZ and/or TH. Personally I have great, great hopes for JJP #3.

#719 7 years ago

WOZ was a huge jump for us as well. However, if this is the type of game we continue to be able to look forward to, I'm OK with it.

Will I be buying every release at this price point, heck no, I would go broke lol. However, for a game that I will be able to enjoy and consistently be challenged by for years to come... Thats got some value over a less expensive title that won't necessarily provide the same level of enjoyment.

Regardless, what an exciting time to be in the hobby. Super excited to see JJP's PL game, and with Stern has stepping up their game as well I'm also excited about rumors of a possible star wars or tron ve release from them. Plus with all the other new players coming in... I don't know if we would be seeing this kind of resurgence if it were not for the higher prices manufactures are able to get. I just wish I could buy them all...

Since I can't, now I just need someplace local to play all of these amazing games coming out.

#720 7 years ago

Think it's gonna be a Justin Bieber for $14K

#722 7 years ago
    Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

I don't see JJP changing its business model to compete with Stern at the Pro level now.

Brief history lesson. Jack was a long time distributor of Stern games. The pinball market was on life support and Stern was barely hanging on. Those of us who were around when JJP was launched remember Jack saying that Stern had stripped their games to such a point that he could no longer sell them.

Jack stated he wasn't going to try to compete with Stern in the under $5000 pinball market. Instead, he thought there was a market for a more feature packed game at a higher price point. JJP's business model was founded on this belief.

The ability to pre-sell 1000 machines at $6500 to $7500 (an unheard of amount for a large production run machine at the time) proved he was right.

Since then, Stern has increased the amount of stuff they put into their premium and LE models to try and capture some of the higher end dollars that JJP proved was out there.

#723 7 years ago

Next JJP will be an original, not themed on existing work.

#724 7 years ago
    Quoted from UltraPeepi:

Next JJP will be an original, not themed on existing work.

Yep, we all know that.

Here, people are discussing the next LICENSED game from JJP.

#725 7 years ago

So, no traction on Song of the South™...? My friends "Down Under" love this film !

images_(resized).jpgimages_(resized).jpg

untitled_(resized).pnguntitled_(resized).png

untitled1_(resized).pnguntitled1_(resized).png

#726 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

So, no traction on Song of the South™...? My friends "Down Under" love this film !

Too controversial in USA as it is considered by some as romanticizing slavery (though it is strictly speaking set during Reconstruction).

#727 7 years ago

I'd think most, really, unless you're the type to call the Civil War the "war of northern aggression".

#728 7 years ago

In Australia its on tv at least once a month. Different Strokes I guess....I loved the characters as a kid. And everybody knows Zip a dee doo dah!

#729 7 years ago

Muhammad Ali

Quoted from vid1900:

Yep, we all know that.
    Here, people are discussing the next LICENSED game from JJP.

OK. I'm game.

Disney Villains

#730 7 years ago

Wizards.....possible working title?
    Has to be Harry Potter!
    Vid...I looked into it. JKR doesn't care about licensing money. Doesn't even go into her account anymore. All money goes to her children's fund charity and hospital work.

#731 7 years ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Vid...I looked into it. JKR doesn't care about licensing money. Doesn't even go into her account anymore. All money goes to her children's fund charity and hospital work.

Maybe those children can start wasting their lives hanging out in arcades?

eead1edcb7d13b718b4dc0d52cf0e0cd501da848_(resized).jpgeead1edcb7d13b718b4dc0d52cf0e0cd501da848_(resized).jpg

#732 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Maybe those children can start wasting their lives hanging out in arcades?

Vid--That picture is from 9 years ago. And the quote is from 12+.
    Must have been Gary at STEARN approaching her long time ago.
    People and opinions change...well some of us.

#733 7 years ago

I picture all the smile's on those sweet little sick kids playing a JJP HARRY POTTER , the laughter and joy that machine will bring in every children's hospital in England.
    Graciously sent by Jack himself after she signs off. Oops, she may have already VID!
    WIZARDS......WORKING TITLE For NOW.
    Code would already be started and designs on her desk for approval.
    Feel free to pm me if you have better source.
    Mine, is pretty rock solid.
    Shall I dare say, from the dragons mouth. It was actually very nice fancy dinner.

#734 7 years ago

Vid--That picture is from 9 years ago. And the quote is from 12+.
    Must have been Gary at STEARN approaching her long time ago.
    People and opinions change...well some of us.

I love the Harry Potter books, I read them to my nieces all the time.

HP would be a fun pinball theme.

But I don't have any fantasies of JKR being struck by a beam of light and suddenly believing that pinball is a wonderful thing.

-

In fact, the moment that the average person starts liking pinball and not associating it with gambling, drifters and homosexuality - I'm out.

#735 7 years ago

Instead of every game being aimed at little kids, I think it's time for a badass theme:

635894853320624598-dolemite-movie-poster-1975-1020433952_(resized).jpg635894853320624598-dolemite-movie-poster-1975-1020433952_(resized).jpg

#736 7 years ago

How about:

forb_zone_(resized).jpgforb_zone_(resized).jpg

#737 7 years ago

OMG....Forbidden zone would be amazing pin with all the Danny Elfman music..

#738 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

In fact, the moment that the average person starts liking pinball and not associating it with gambling, drifters and homosexuality - I'm out.

Vid, not sure what world you live in? But I've never heard once the "average" person associating pinball with those things. And I've been everywhere too and around a long time to. We all see what we want to see, I just see it differently.
    Please end this before we make "Reefer Madness" pinball machine..

#739 7 years ago

Vid, not sure what world you live in? But I've never heard once the "average" person associating pinball with those things.

Back when pinball (and latter video games) were popular, good parents were always concerned that kids were "obsessed" with gaming and that gaming was addictive.

Of course gaming was indeed addictive, it's not a coincidence that Bally and later Williams would make outright gambling devices - they had lot's of experience keeping the rats at the feedbar.

Cities in the 80s would enact laws where the first game license in a location was $100, the second was $200, the third was $400 and the forth was $800 - just to make sure that arcades could not afford to open.

Kids wasting all their lunch money on "those blasted pinballs" was never a popular thing with good parents.

Arcades were always THE place to score dope and good parents did not like that at all.

#740 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Cities in the 80s would enact laws where the first game license in a location was $100, the second was $200, the third was $400 and the forth was $800 - just to make sure that arcades could not afford to open.

In the town I grew up in, they had a hard limit on the number of arcade/pinball machines that could be in one location. 4 arcade machines was the maximum. Neighboring towns were more relaxed, so you could bike over to them. But still, it made for a Saturday of riding from one gas station to the next to play multiple games.

Hah, check this out: http://www.deseretnews.com/article/263549/BOUNTIFUL-CITY-COUNCIL-TO-REVIEW-ORDINANCE-LIMITING-VIDEO-MACHINES.html?pg=all

That card shop folded up soon after. They never were allowed to expand.

#741 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Back when pinball (and latter video games) were popular, good parents were always concerned that kids were "obsessed" with gaming and that gaming was addictive.
    Of course gaming was indeed addictive, it's not a coincidence that Bally and later Williams would make outright gambling devices - they had lot's of experience keeping the rats at the feedbar.
    Kids wasting all their lunch money on "those blasted pinballs" was never a popular thing with good parents.
    Arcades were always THE place to score dope and good parents did not like that at all.

Time to let go of the past old man and get with the program. the kids that grew up with the arcade games are now teaching the next generation how to program and create games. The days of the "dark and dirty" arcade are a thing of the past (for the most part.) Go into any Dave and Busters, Chuck E Cheese, Great Wolf, Kalahari, even your local barcade and you will see bright, clean rooms that are inviting and exciting. I find most guys "man cave" to be more of the style from the 80's arcade than an actual arcade today. You seem to have a grudge with something that happened to you in one of your "80's" arcade. Did your mommy not let you go in, so now you resent all of them? what is the deal?

It's all good fun. stop complaining and go play some games.

Now back on topic. I believe the next license title will be great. I have no actual knowledge of what is, but i really enjoy both my Wizard of Oz and my The Hobbit and believe that Pat's game will be a fun one too.

#742 7 years ago
    Quoted from KingPinGames:

You seem to have a grudge with something that happened to you in one of your "80's" arcade.

I was the one running the games. When Gorgar came out, I would put 4 of them side by side and people would stand in line 5 deep to play them.

Coinop made me some really nice coin. Never a regret.

Did your mommy not let you go in, so now you resent all of them? what is the deal?

Nope, my dad had a coinop vending route before I did.

Some of my earliest memories are of emptying the coin boxes.

the kids that grew up with the arcade games are now teaching the next generation how to program and create games.

I would never trust a 50 year old game programming instructor. "Hey I played Ms Pacman back in the 80s. Let me show you how to program in Java for your phone games...."

#743 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Yeah, and they also thought smoking increased your health..

That's not today.

#744 7 years ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

That's not today.

Oh, and plenty of sugar is good for the kiddos... Gives them energy

#745 7 years ago
    Quoted from merccat:

Oh, and plenty of sugar is good for the kiddos... Gives them energy

Those sugar cereals were the BEST! *twitch* *twitch* I'm fine! Gimme caffiene!

#746 7 years ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

That's not today.

It's not about real life, it's about the perception of pinball.

True story:

My Boss: Hey, Ski tells me you took second place in some big pinball tournament!
    Vid: Yeah, it was close though. Some of the best players in the world.
    MB: Pretty rough crowd hanging around at those places?
    V: Yeah, a lot of fat, 60 year old men who smell like they have not showered in a month....
    MB: Really??? I was expecting guys in leather jackets, smoking, fighting, doing side bets.
    V: Not so much. There was one guy in yellow sweatpants, looked like they might have been his moms.
    MB: Wow, you don't see that everyday!
    V: Not unless you play pinball.

#747 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

True story:
    My Boss: Hey, Ski tells me you took second place in some big pinball tournament!
    V: Yeah, a lot of fat, 60 year old men who smell like they have not showered in a month....
    MB: Really??? I was expecting guys in leather jackets, smoking, fighting, doing side bets.
    V: Not so much. There was one guy in yellow sweatpants, looked like they might have been his moms.

Glad you're doing your part to help the hobby and clear up the misconceptions surrounding pinball Vid.

#748 7 years ago

Lol! When you put it that way, I think I prefer the misconception.

#749 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

-

I'm with you on this.....It would take the fun out of it.

#750 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

True story:

Well, I had worn them so many days in a row that they'd kind of BECAME mine at that point because Mom didn't want them back.

Pin trivia: they were originally white.

There are 780 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 16.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/next-licensed-theme-from-jjp-will-be/page/15?hl=walt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.