Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 81 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by alexanr1
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2022-12-27 at 7.36.04 PM (resized).png
    Baywatch (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Screenshot_20221226_094216_eBay (resized).jpg
    20221210_121734 (resized).jpg
    20221210_121713 (resized).jpg
    20221210_111901 (resized).jpg
    20221210_113639 (resized).jpg
    20221209_172633 (resized).jpg
    20221208_170253 (resized).jpg
    9A277F60-BE1E-43D5-8503-CDBB82617551 (resized).jpeg
    20221123_173940 (resized).jpg
    20221126_130339 (resized).jpg
    20221126_130310 (resized).jpg
    20221115_175116 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20221113_091112_Chrome (resized).jpg
    There are 81 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 1 year ago
    Quoted from Hench4Life:

Anyone ever look at mil-std connectors like cannon plugs.. would exceed any vibration and environmental requirements needed for a pin. Definitely on the expensive side though

I've used them several times in my electrical/electronics career. Of the hundreds of plugs I've used over the years, I'm going by experience on what has been the best in tough environments, and using those styles for my playfield disconnects. 36 years in the field, and I've seen some do well, and many that do not.
    I'll be going with the Phoenix Style on GI, multipin on special lighting, and the industrial connectors on my coils.

#52 1 year ago
    Quoted from Hench4Life:

Anyone ever look at mil-std connectors like cannon plugs.. would exceed any vibration and environmental requirements needed for a pin. Definitely on the expensive side though

Btw, that's the second or 3rd time I've heard "pinball guys" mention "expense"... we pay all this money for machines, mods, etc, and suddenly there's a line with connectors? Lol
    The single most important factor in the machine shouldnt be an expense, but an investment to never have a failure, or an issue with that aspect.
    After what I've sunk into this homebrew, that is small potatoes.

#53 1 year ago

Easy guy, I was just adding something to the conversation that I’m familiar with. I’ve only worked with mil-std connectors cause I’m in defense. I only mentioned the cost, because it’s a fact. I didn’t express an opinion on said cost.

Quoted from MrBigg:

Btw, that's the second or 3rd time I've heard "pinball guys" mention "expense"... we pay all this money for machines, mods, etc, and suddenly there's a line with connectors? Lol
    The single most important factor in the machine shouldnt be an expense, but an investment to never have a failure, or an issue with that aspect.
    After what I've sunk into this homebrew, that is small potatoes.

#54 1 year ago

it's the most expensive but most rewarding hobby i ever had.
    Sometimes i buy a part that you really wouldn't need, but when it is worth to you then go for it. You spend a lot of money, might as well make it pretty

#55 1 year ago

Out of the many things required in homebrewing, some people do find fun in re-designing certain things to lower cost. It's a hobby that can scratch a million different interests.

But it is kinda funny which battles we pick and choose. Like I'm not designing a controller, so I have a lot of P3ROC boards. I see the value in the time that saves me. But I'm going to make my own custom stadium lightning because the effort level is low compared to the markup.

Some people make their own ball guide lanes in a 3D printer. Go for it! It's only a $12 for a pair of them, or you can re-draw them and let it print over night for a few dollars of filament. Some people like making their own 3D printed drop target mechs. I think the Elf guy even lathed the metal pins for his design.

It's all about the thrill of the build

#56 1 year ago

I’m toying with the idea of using Deans micro connectors found on radio controlled vehicles for coils for easy swapping around on test builds. The downside is 3x the soldering…

Deeproot had some interesting plug choices for the same end of circuit connections but procuring them ended up being too complicated. Typical of most anything Deeproot touched…

#57 1 year ago
    Quoted from Hench4Life:

Easy guy, I was just adding something to the conversation that I’m familiar with. I’ve only worked with mil-std connectors cause I’m in defense. I only mentioned the cost, because it’s a fact. I didn’t express an opinion on said cost.

Sorry if that seemed salty, no offense intended, but yes they can get a bit pricy.

1 week later
    #58 1 year ago

Well I've been working on my homebrew again, and some new ideas on my next machine. Downloaded the pinball Sim program to be able to see designs in action, and it's a pretty good free program. Takes a bit of getting used to, but for free, it's fantastic.
    Paint done on my side rails, and primer finished on my second playfield

20221208_170253 (resized).jpg20221208_170253 (resized).jpg20221209_172633 (resized).jpg20221209_172633 (resized).jpg
    1 week later
    #59 1 year ago

So I built a home made rotisserie out of a harbor freight miter saw bench, and thought I'd share it here. About $85 bucks total in the build, and it's working very well.
    Height, and length adjustable.
    4 foot piece of 1" square tube
    Two lazy Susan, or boat seat spinners
    8 short 1/4-20 bolts, nuts, and washers
    4 self tapping screws, 2 pieces of 1" angle about 24" long
    About a 30 min build, and it's pretty solid.
    Egs can be folded to set it on a table, or used on the floor.

20221210_111901 (resized).jpg20221210_111901 (resized).jpg20221210_113639 (resized).jpg20221210_113639 (resized).jpg20221210_121713 (resized).jpg20221210_121713 (resized).jpg20221210_121734 (resized).jpg20221210_121734 (resized).jpg
    #60 1 year ago

Thinking of doing my next playfield in carbon fiber. Used it several times making hot rod parts. Think that's pretty next level. It's not hard to work with, and carbon over birch would be pretty dang solid, and hold up a long time.

#61 1 year ago

Interesting idea… would you still use a wood core and wrap with composite? I would think you’d still want a wood core to provide some dampening and provide depth for underside mounting. I have some pure composite skis and they chatter like no other.

#62 1 year ago

Was tossing around the idea of carbon fiber spinners. For those of us that really want to rip those spinners.

#63 1 year ago
    Quoted from Hench4Life:

Interesting idea… would you still use a wood core and wrap with composite? I would think you’d still want a wood core to provide some dampening and provide depth for underside mounting. I have some pure composite skis and they chatter like no other.

It would still be a 7 ply birch Whitewood/plywood top, with a carbon composite top. I've talked to a few other guys that have also worked with carbon fiber, and basically I'll lay the mesh over top, pour on the 2 stage epoxy, polish, drill holes, lay graphics, and clear coat.
    I'll have to airbrush this one to keep from having tape lines in the paint.
    It's a fairly easy artwork concept with mostly clock works, and gears.

#64 1 year ago

In theory you could mold contouring for ramp transitions, ramps, or berms. I don’t know if you’d need a prepreg layup, or if the clear could be applied evenly.

#65 1 year ago

I have a lot of ideas, but a lot of them are code ideas. I was thinking of a P3 mini-game where you travel between different islands and buy and sell different goods with an eye on making a profit on the exchange. Let's see what else I've got written down in my ideas text file...

"Combine Demolition Man handles with the addams family shocker grips"

My past self is a genius! I am of course talking about the shocking grips from the Addams Family novelty game, not the pinball machine. See here if you're not familiar:

It vibrates in such a way that it feels like your hands are being shocked with electricity, which is the same technique those joy buzzer handshakes use. According to wikipedia those prank chewing gum things use real electricity though.

#66 1 year ago

I tried to put haptic mini-shaker in the cab next to the flipper buttons but the wood absorbed the vibration. If I ever try it again I will have to isolate the buttons on their own gasketed panel.

#67 1 year ago

I added a random 'shocker' to my Addams Family remake a few years back. The player is randomly shocked by the flipper buttons whenever 'The Power' is active. It's a virtual game so hard to reproduce the effect. But, like shaker motors, we have to use a bit more creativity to sell any physical effect virtually.

It would be a fun feature to add to a real pinball machine, and I'm sure someone will figure it out.

#68 1 year ago
    Quoted from oldbaby:

I have a lot of ideas, but a lot of them are code ideas. I was thinking of a P3 mini-game where you travel between different islands and buy and sell different goods with an eye on making a profit on the exchange. Let's see what else I've got written down in my ideas text file...
    "Combine Demolition Man handles with the addams family shocker grips"
    My past self is a genius! I am of course talking about the shocking grips from the Addams Family novelty game, not the pinball machine. See here if you're not familiar:
    It vibrates in such a way that it feels like your hands are being shocked with electricity, which is the same technique those joy buzzer handshakes use. According to wikipedia those prank chewing gum things use real electricity though.

Quoted from SLAMT1LT:

I added a random 'shocker' to my Addams Family remake a few years back. The player is randomly shocked by the flipper buttons whenever 'The Power' is active. It's a virtual game so hard to reproduce the effect. But, like shaker motors, we have to use a bit more creativity to sell any physical effect virtually.
    It would be a fun feature to add to a real pinball machine, and I'm sure someone will figure it out.

A tinge unit would be the way to go with metal flipper buttons. That's an easy concept to produce, and to isolate, and control by the units variable shock system.

Quoted from Hench4Life:

In theory you could mold contouring for ramp transitions, ramps, or berms. I don’t know if you’d need a prepreg layup, or if the clear could be applied evenly.

I don't think any molding is needed, ramps typically don't mold on a standard clear coat top, but it's an interesting idea nonetheless. My playfield will be like any other, just using carbon for the top to protect and longevitate the life of the playfield. Only thing that would wear in time is the clear over the graphics. And that honestly would probably take a while as I shoot 2k automotive clear from a gun about 3 times on a playfield. As long as I don't Drop it again, I thi k it would last a long time. Outlive me anyway

#69 1 year ago

I've been looking through options, and I love that carbon comes in colors now. Going with the blue for sure.

Screenshot_20221226_094216_eBay (resized).jpgScreenshot_20221226_094216_eBay (resized).jpg
    #70 1 year ago
    Quoted from stefanmader:

it's the most expensive but most rewarding hobby i ever had.
    Sometimes i buy a part that you really wouldn't need, but when it is worth to you then go for it. You spend a lot of money, might as well make it pretty

Just bought a box of about 30 ramps, and wireways for just in case. Like you said, never know when a part might come in handy. I have several organizers full of rubbers, posts, switches, etc, that I've been collecting for the next ones, and repairs for ones I have already

#71 1 year ago

Are you going to test the carbon overlay before going all in on the next game? I’m curious about it.. typically it’s the clear that’s an issue lately with dimpling - not the wood so much - at least that’s my perception. A carbon layer may absorb and disburse impact but I suspect it may flex more than wood and have potential to crack the clear? Just musing .. worth some tests tho I’d imagine before counting on it. But if it’s an improvement in the end, that would be cool to see

#72 1 year ago

So in my attempt to reinvent the wheel I eliminated the side strips from my playfield. Hey that’s an extra inch of real estate right there. Only I didn’t factor in the structural value they add…

So I am going the carbon laminate route. Again tech stolen from back in my R/C days. Some 1/2” strips epoxied on both edge sides should create the I-beam effect needed to get those needed numbers back on track.

#73 1 year ago
    Quoted from LORDDREK:

So in my attempt to reinvent the wheel I eliminated the side strips from my playfield. Hey that’s an extra inch of real estate right there. Only I didn’t factor in the structural value they add…

I wonder if right angle steel members along the edges of the playfield would be enough structural support. The playfield would need to be slightly more narrow

Quick, not-at-all-to-scale sketch

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #74 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

I wonder if right angle steel members along the edges of the playfield would be enough structural support. The playfield would need to be slightly more narrow
    Quick, not-at-all-to-scale sketch[quoted image]

I did think of that as well but I have playfield supports that might get in the way of any underside placement. It is possible to recess with routing I suppose. The complicating factor with any angle is my ball guides go to the edge and will be secured to the side of playfield. The struggle is real…

#75 1 year ago
    Quoted from LORDDREK:

So I am going the carbon laminate route. Again tech stolen from back in my R/C days. Some 1/2” strips epoxied on both edge sides should create the I-beam effect needed to get those needed numbers back on track.

Downside to removing side beams is the plywood rely on those to no bow up or down in the middle from weight, and all those insert holes. Carbon might do the trick, but I wouldn't leave it that way long with out something to brace it. Another option I looked at is thin aluminum L bracket running the length, fastened underneath. And still may go that route to make it slide in and out easier even with my sides,a andd back in place.

#76 1 year ago

This trick was done by Baywatch, thin metal guides instead of wood strips to give some more usable playfield real estate:

Baywatch (resized).pngBaywatch (resized).png

#77 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

Are you going to test the carbon overlay before going all in on the next game? I’m curious about it.. typically it’s the clear that’s an issue lately with dimpling - not the wood so much - at least that’s my perception. A carbon layer may absorb and disburse impact but I suspect it may flex more than wood and have potential to crack the clear? Just musing .. worth some tests tho I’d imagine before counting on it. But if it’s an improvement in the end, that would be cool to see

So I've used carbon fiber since the late 90s building items for hot rods, and guitars, so I'm pretty acquainted with it and how it reacts. I always use 2k automotive clear with a hardener on all my guitar builds, so that pretty jam up solid as well. Not sure if you've ever banged a car door, etc, and it not Crack, but that's what will be on this top in 3 coats. If there is dimpling, it will be wet sanded after each coat is applied and allowed to cure for 48 hours before the next one is applied. Only issue of concern on my plate is drilling it afterwards. Then it's scuffs that I have to fix before I can airbrush the graphics on, etc. After the carbon, epoxy, and clear coats cure, you could probably take a hammer to it, which I obviously won't do, but it'll be hard as a rock.

#78 1 year ago

This worked well for me on Greek Gods homebrew. I had to carve out a few offsets and drill a few holes for mounting the rails.

Screen Shot 2022-12-27 at 7.36.04 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-12-27 at 7.36.04 PM (resized).png
    #79 1 year ago
    Quoted from Cmartin1235:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/greek-gods-homebrew/page/2#post-5708892This worked well for me. I had to carve out a few offsets and drill a few holes for mounting the rails. (Link fixed)

That underview of your playfield is very intimidating. Wow that's a lot going on!

#80 1 year ago

Here's a good resource in a knowledge base, videos and courses for composites. It's 3 brothers building an experimental aircraft kit completely out of composites and doing all the molding and assembly themselves. They have a really great level of transparency to all their work.

https://www.darkaero.com/

#81 1 year ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

This trick was done by Baywatch, thin metal guides instead of wood strips to give some more usable playfield real estate:
    [quoted image]

I have a Baywatch and never really noticed this! Interesting…..

There are 81 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/next-level-ideas/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.