Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 62 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by davijc02
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 6 years ago

I'd to buy another machine in the coming months and wanted some advice. I currently own a Star Wars Premium and love it. I like the code depth and theme. I like it much more than the Ghostbusters Pro I had before it which got stale for me.

My parameters are:
    1) Something 5 years old or less (even new)
    2) < $6,500
    3) A different playing style/layout than Star Wars
    4) A theme I can get into (for example, I like the Guardians of the Galaxy theme but worry it may play too similar)

Any input appreciated. Thanks.

#3 6 years ago

Second hand Metallica Prem or TWD Prem. Or jump to $6800 for new ACDC Luci Vault.

#4 6 years ago

What he said above. Those are great choices.

#5 6 years ago

Walking dead or MEt are both nice choices

#6 6 years ago

Metallica....sold my premium a few years ago and had to get another

#7 6 years ago

I wouldn't go with AC/DC next to Star Wars. I like the thought of TWD pro mixed in with SW. Both have fantastic code depth and breadth.

#8 6 years ago

Does it matter that I've never seen one episode of TWD? Having a little trouble with the that theme.

#9 6 years ago

Is it worth it to wait and stretch the budget to look at a remake or Jersey Jack?

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from Ccondo:

Is it worth it to wait and stretch the budget to look at a remake or Jersey Jack?

Yes. JJPOTC. It has tons going on with lots of rules and strategies. Definitely a good pin for a small lineup.

#11 6 years ago

Star Trek

#12 6 years ago

That pin does look fantastic. But, I may add a family member's Stern POTC at some point and $8500 is rough.

#13 6 years ago

I'd consider this, what version, Pro or Premium?

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from Ccondo:

That pin does look fantastic. But, I may add a family member's Stern POTC at some point and $8500 is rough.

Sterns POTC well....kinda blows. It's fun for a month.

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

I hear ya, but it has good toys and my kids love it

#16 6 years ago

It's a little outside your age of game parameter, but Spider-Man is just an awesome game. Well, I guess the Vault Edition would be in there. Anyway, SM is a great game for all ages and one of Stern's best. Lyman's code is terrific. It is a masterpiece of a game.

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from Ccondo:

Does it matter that I've never seen one episode of TWD? Having a little trouble with the that theme.

It's a benefit, in more than one way.

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from Ccondo:

Yes! MMr and AFMr are awesome for a home collection, and the Classic version of the latter fits your budget.

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Second hand Metallica Prem or TWD Prem. Or jump to $6800 for new ACDC Luci Vault.

AC/DC layout is too similar to Star Wars. OP specified it needs to be different. Great game, though.

#20 6 years ago

Used Hobbit?

#21 6 years ago

Am I correct in thinking Guardians will play very similar to Star Wars?

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from Ccondo:

I don't think so. Different designers, different coders.

#23 6 years ago
    Quoted from Ccondo:

Gotg is like met and ironman...acdc and sw have similar layouts

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

I don't think so. Different designers, different coders.

Quoted from bigd1979:

Gotg is like met and ironman...acdc and sw have similar layouts

Well that sounds promising... I love the theme and I could pickup a Pro a little of $5k. I've been following the threads about this game including the sound mod, but have never really considered it for fear it would be too much like SW

#25 6 years ago

Pabst Can Crusher

Meets all of your criteria and then some!

#26 6 years ago
    Quoted from Ccondo:

You can get the pro for at least 2k less than the premium. For the difference in price I would go with the pro. Some think the light show on the prem and LE is work 2-3k more. What some video on YouTube.

#27 6 years ago
    Quoted from fishmanrob:

You can get the pro for at least 2k less than the premium. For the difference in price I would go with the pro. Some think the light show on the prem and LE is work 2-3k more. Watch some video on YouTube.

#28 6 years ago

Stern Star Trek pro is about $4000-$4500. Very fun pin, it’s the wife’s favorite pin. GOTG pro is about $5000. Metallica, spider man and iron man are nice as well. Lots of choices around $5000

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from Ccondo:

Get the LE if you can. It would be the best investment. STLE is best Stern Pin period IMHO. I was told that Stern actually lost money on that one and makes sense since it lives up to a true LE. If not a premium will have the same game play.

#30 6 years ago

To pair with your SW I would suggest a non-space theme. Perhaps Metallica as others have suggested or maybe Aerosmith to keep the displays the same and look cool in your two game lineup.

#31 6 years ago

A little over your budget but JJP is where it's at. WOZ and DI are great and JJPPirates is going to be really dun when complete.

Under your listed criteria, TWD premium or MET

#32 6 years ago
    Quoted from Ccondo:

JJ = no
    Remake = If you can stomach the price, Medieval is still the best

#33 6 years ago
    Quoted from Ccondo:

Don't do that. Stern PotC is shallow and ultimately boring. They themed it great, but there's just not much to it for a home environment.

Check out Houdini, jjPotC, WoZ, AfMr LE. All of them play way different than Star Wars. TWD is also a REALLY GOOD GAME (add Color DMD). I'm not a horror/zombie guy, but the funfactor is undeniable.

Oh, and I have a Dialed In LE on the market for $7750.

#34 6 years ago
    Quoted from Ccondo:

Don't even CONSIDER GotG until the software situation clears up. It's still a mess and no guarantee it will ever play well.

Definitely PLAY this one first. Hobbit was not my cup of tea, AT ALL. Easily the worst JJP release, by a good margin, IMO. Too samey and boring and the multiball got real old, real fast, even if you turned up the difficulty to make them less frequent.

#35 6 years ago

There's a gotg at arcade legacy in Cincinnati. I also own one. I'm it doesn't play like sw.

#36 6 years ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

You know whats funny before jjp announced thier pirates. Stern's pirates was a sought after game and many people thought it was fun. All of a sudden people says its trash. The game was true to it's theme, had a lot of toys and frankly got what you paid for. Pinside full of stern haters. Starting at $8500 many people will never own one.

Quoted from Ccondo:That pin does look fantastic. But, I may add a family member's Stern POTC at some point and $8500 is rough.

Sterns potc is a fun game dont let the haters bring you down

#37 6 years ago

A bit out of the 5+ years old but I would get something like TSPP or FG. Very different layouts and flow from the SW but have good depth for home use.

Good luck.

#38 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mrawesome44:

You know whats funny before jjp announced thier pirates. Stern's pirates was a sought after game and many people thought it was fun. All of a sudden people says its trash. The game was true to it's theme, had a lot of toys and frankly got what you paid for. Pinside full of stern haters. Starting at $8500 many people will never own one.

Sterns potc is a fun game dont let the haters bring you down

I'm far from a stern hater. I owned sterns potc well before JJP announced theirs. And like I said in my post, it was fun...for about a month. But yea, it kind of blows....at least I think so. Much better games at it's price point. I try to be honest as I can with my experience in pinball and I understand there will be fans of sterns potc too, and that's fine by me, that's pinball.

I've watched, observed, and somewhat studied the ruleset of JJPOTC from their tutorial streams. I then applied it with approx 20 or more games at arcade expo here in california. How many people can say they've at least done that before forming an opinion? And fwiw; JJPOTC is probably one of the best pins I've ever played. Well worth the price of admission, and if I had a choice between 2 sub 4K games or JJPOTC, I'd easily take JJPOTC.

#39 6 years ago

I appreciate all the input. As of this moment, (subject to change 1,000 times) my short list is Star Trek, Guardians and AFMr. I'm thinking this summer realistically anyway so I'll have time to see out the Guardians code comes along and I'll keep looking for a used ST in the meantime.

#40 6 years ago
    Quoted from Ccondo:

I will say this. I love TWD Premium, my buddy has one. Easily one of my favorite Pinballs ever. Very very fun. Now the show TWD, never seen it. Not into the theme in the slightest. I’m not a horror fan at all. The pin is fantastic though. Kicks your but and has you coming back for more.

Now onto your original question. I would buy a TNA or TWD premium.

#41 6 years ago
    Quoted from Ccondo:

and I'll keep looking for a used ST in the meantime.

ST is a really awesome game. The light show of the premium version is worth the upgrade.

#42 6 years ago

I was in a similar situation. Was looking at next pin to buy. Sought advice that was helpful and I think the key was finding the different games and playing them. This was the best thing for me to do. Ended up with MET pro.

#43 6 years ago

I would consider a Tron as well. Totally different then SW and a very good game.

#44 6 years ago

I would say some good advise and some I really disagree with. We all have personal preferences I think you should have enough to get started and find what you like.

Good luck.

#45 6 years ago

St is great game but Ritchie ramps are the same on both. Go with a different designer

#46 6 years ago

I would go kiss, areosmith, or metalica. I think one underrated a game to consider is big buck hunter. I say game of thrones and star trek too wimilwr.

#47 6 years ago

Go with a different play style like a Borg Walking dead premium, Metallica pro, or if you want a different style Ritchie go with Star Trek Premium. If you like the deeper code aspect of a Ritchie go with Game of Thrones premium. Above all those save 1500 more and get a dialed in, which is more fun and prettier than any stern game.

#48 6 years ago

MET all the way although ST is becoming my sleeper favorite. Have the pro and just don't see how the premiums light show is worth the 1500+. That's fifeteen hundred dollars to have more lights to the already blinged out pro. I might have to watch some now videos bc sometimes it's easy to forget how much money we spend on machines where 1500 it's a casual add to a price

#49 6 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

MET all the way although ST is becoming my sleeper favorite. Have the pro and just don't see how the premiums light show is worth the 1500+. That's fifeteen hundred dollars to have more lights to the already blinged out pro. I might have to watch some now videos bc sometimes it's easy to forget how much money we spend on machines where 1500 it's a casual add to a price

I have the premium lightshow on my pro for under 300....

#50 6 years ago

What about a SMVE?

There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/next-game-purchase-advice/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.