OogGVgR (resized).jpg
eaa413c52c22d45c0ffa37f716f5da41 (resized).png
14B1FB8C-079D-4E0D-9068-C7F93D5B4542.gif
DAF0E307-0638-4179-AC1C-5309A60252E3.gif
grow-huge-buds (resized).jpg
legal-marijuana-in-michigan-looks-promising (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
JP-grass (resized).jpg
Jurassic-Park-LE-Flyer.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #404 Promo Photos Posted by Coolpinballdino (4 years ago)

Post #1234 Stream Reveal Posted by Auror (4 years ago)

Post #1501 Feature matrix Posted by Spyderturbo007 (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider treybo69.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

I put a prediction one would drop in the next 2 years in the next Stern pin thread, but I have heard nothing concrete. I would think they would let their SW stew for atleast a few months before introducing competition.

Especially when Dead Pool Home comes out and it has the same layout at Star Wars Home...

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from moonduckie78:

I wish Stern had the desire to do more original IPs.
I get why licensed themes make more sense for pinball these days, financially.
But Dialed In was a breath of fresh air, and even if you didn't like the theme, you've got to give JJP credit for taking the chance.

Yeah, but they picked a meh theme and failed to properly sell it to people. Dialed In is a fine game, despite the theme. (Would it really have been so much to make Dialed In about a superhero saving a town from destruction instead of just some random city employee answering a phone?) Sure, I'll give them credit for trying...but their attempt really fucked themselves over with lackluster sales solely because of the theme they created.

At least with deeproot doing RAZA they hit on a couple of broad themes that resonate a lot better.

#47 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Stern snipes LOTS of licenses. UNfortunately it seems to be a big part of their business model to just lock up licenses they think would be good or in some cases just to take passion projects away form others.

Stern seems to have a lot of licenses under their stable. I wonder if they're actually signing license deals with intent to manufacture, optioning the licenses for rights of first refusal, or if they work with an agency that provides a list of licenses for Stern to choose from.

I'm curious about that process and the costs involved. It sounds like a licenses costs $100-250k spread out over a production run. Surely Stern isn't throwing that money away on licenses to sit on out of spite?

#49 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

all I know is what I have been told by others in the industry.
Summary of what I have been told how it allegedly works. Makes sense to me, so I have always believed it
Stern is big enough that companies often want to have them produce a machine.
Stern uses this to acquire licenses with the option to produce and many times has zero intention of actually making the game, but the cost to maintain is so cheap that they are willing to accept that cost to do business.
Since they make games that are often holder of many licenses held by one company, those companies are happy to left them sit on some while producing others.
License holders often see an interest in making a game from a smaller company and then run to Stern and offer it up for more money.

Cool thanks. That's sorta what I assumed was happening. It's just crazy how many licenses allegedly are attached to Stern without a peep about them.

Kudos to Jersey Jack getting in there with Disney. It'd be a shame if Stern had the entire Disney behemoth under their umbrella.

#66 4 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I meant that fact that they are going to make Bond a black woman, like GB's and Captain Marvel and Oceans 12 with the female cast and color blind horseshit. it will bomb, that Adris fella OK but a woman, come on. I like all the Bond Films, with the first being my personal favorite.

Why do you care who Bond is? They've changed the main actor a dozen times. Heck, it's sorta fun that they mix it up.

Or are you already positive the film is trash because a black woman can't possible portray a British Spy agent...because reasons you will only hint at. Like so what it's a woman. They'll still probably film her punching commies/fascists/generic-ne'er-do-wells in the face, drinking dry martinis, and having sex with hot lady assassin types. (And on some level I think it is dumb that they won't make a spy movie starring a black woman without attaching a valuable IP like Bond to the project to help generate some publicity because it sets an impossible standard and will upset a lot of people who care too much about things that don't actually matter)

#72 4 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Yes. Make a whole new movie based on a black woman playing a british spy and then I couldn't care less but not Bond. I don't need to hint at anything and don't feel like dealing with PC snowflakes so I'll leave it alone.

I'm the snowflake because I'm laughing at a grown man that thinks a new movie somehow erases the movies he does love?

I'm just kidding by the way. I get that you are emotionally attached to James Bond and might be dismayed by the news, but who knows. It might kick ass. I thought the all girls Ghostbusters was pretty good (but I saw it for what it is, a fun popcorn movie meant to distract a person for a couple of hours)

#89 4 years ago
Quoted from sethi_i:

C'mon, Levi, don't shy away from the best example of this....Star Wars. Well, they did have two good movies, before everything went to shit. I'm still a Star Wars fan, or at least I want to be. They just make it really hard. I hoped that once Lucas bailed, the franchise could get new life. Unfortunately they just tried to stitch together a bunch of timelines to create more opporunities to make money. The movies still suck.

Idk. I think the Star Wars movies were always for kids and are still extremely popular with kids. My nephews love the new movies as much as the old movies. My niece adores Rey. I didn't grow up watching or playing with Star Wars so the property has never meant much to me.

The only thing that has really changed is the tone of the movie. Slightly less violent and with a little more comedic elements. But that's what happens when toy sales dominate the box office earnings.

They're fun movies, but they're among the most cut and dry good vs evil stories ever told. They have some cool sword play and ships in outer space going PEW PEW PEW. I don't think anyone ever goes to Star Wars for the plot (good wins! except that one time during the best movie in the franchise)

#129 4 years ago
Quoted from mrclean:

The New Jurassic Park Re-Make should incorporate:
-When you start a game you hear "WELCOME TO JURASSIC PARK", the back box has a mechanical opening of the Jurassic Park gate / large doors revealing the LCD / Back box area, with perhaps other mechanical aspects.
-Some type of zapping / magnetic feature as your poking the raptors to secure or fight them
-"Only if the Raptors can open doors" would be diverters
-"Must go faster" hitting outer orbits while driving in the Sahara Jeep mode as it plays on the LCD
-A mode where a goat pops up from under the playfield (Similar to MM Trolls, but slower raise) in a cage which the bars go down back into the playfield revealing the goat.
-Flare mode with flashing LED's you need to get the T-Rex to follow the LED light / flares
-Cartoon DINO DNA mode sequence clip within the large LCD
-Multi ball lock would have a mechanical Barbasol can which functions somewhat like the idol on Indiana Jones as you acquire DNA, it would be a regular Barbasol can, but as you add balls would open up revealing them inside.
-"Life finds a way" ball save

You have thought about this way more than any designer at Data East/Sega/Stern. Damn shame, some good ideas there. (Jk, I know the bean counters are the buzz kill)

#133 4 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

I have heard nothing to the affect...but how freaking perfect would Top Gun be, especially now with the new movie coming. Could be freaking awesome.

Let Steve Ritchie make F-14 2.0!

#1245 4 years ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

Stern has what 350 employees? They can’t figure out how to reveal the info to their distributors an hour before the actual reveal to the public? Same day would be hard to pull off?

It’s hard when it’s a global product launch

#2309 4 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

It's a catch 22. If they were loud, people would complain about not being able to hear the machine. I've been to a few of them and most of the time you try to let the guys on camera have their moment, so you just kind of stand around talking quietly with the others waiting for your turn.

Not only that, I think getting a bunch of fake enthusiasm is worse than people sitting around bored on their phones. It's why I dislike a few particular pinball commentators that have the worst tendencies of video game shoutcasters

Plus it makes moments like Dwight gushing over his GoT revamp more sincere. Also shout out for him taking the time to prepare notes for the stream. An afternoon of prep work made for a far better presentation overall.

#2312 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Eh, defaulting to the cranky old men stereotype is often as obnoxious as people being....cranky.
Can people just not care for his delivery, retorts, chatter, trying too hard to be cool amidst a cranky old men nerd crowd kinda vibe?
I think he does some things really very well, has his own charm, and is the best we have out there for reveals, though there's not much competition...somewhat a Deadflip monopoly actually.
I never understand when people talk about the sacrifice a streamer or content provider might make, as if he doesn't benefit with contacts in the industry, exposure most might not have, and most of all ego boon. Something like this is exactly the opposite of selfless.
That said, I like Jack more than I dislike him, and I'm really excited about the stream....though my prune juice on the rocks has yet to kick in...
But seriously, not feeling the same way as everyone else regarding any viewpoint, doesn't make a person cranky or wrong. Perhaps they're feeling the same or other ways towards yourself? Eh.

I'm in the same boat. Jack is a nice guy, but I'm not interested in watching him play. I only tune into the "news" kind of streams. I think it's mostly because he's a solo act the majority of the time. The only stream I watch with any regularity is PAPA TV. They have a nice rotating group of different people and skill levels. (And two hours a week of watching pinball is about my limit)

Following a streamer is an asymmetric friendship. If Jack was a local player, I'd be happy to play with him at league or something...but I'd never text him out of the blue about hanging out to chase a GC score. And that's ok...just different personalities.

I respect his streaming hustle. That's a real grind. I hope Stern treats him well considering how much PR work he has to do for them.

#2321 4 years ago
Quoted from dirtbag66:

BINGO!
And if I'm wrong, and he's NOT being paid, then he is working for them for free.

I've always wondered about any pressure he feels from Stern when he does Jersey Jack stuff. I imagine Stern doesn't love it, but doesn't care enough to pay him to not do it. Stern will certainly continue to invite him over because he's so convenient for them and he can bring a large audience.

I wonder how much Stern considers making him an employee of some kind. He certainly does a bunch of videos for them, and you can see him modeling apparel in their store (although I notice it's a lot less than there used to be).

#2703 4 years ago

That's Keith playing and this is me playing

VeNBg.gifVeNBg.gif
#2748 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

I'm wondering the same about the T.Rex also. I saw it move a decent bit, but when does ball tossing occur? Couldn't find that in the stream.

It's pretty rare for him to toss it. Basically it seems like there are three or so T-Rex modes you qualify, and then feed the T-Rex. In one of those modes, he'll toss the ball instead of putting it back on the wireform. I think I saw the dino toss the ball maybe 3 times in the 2.5 hours of play. It's a neat effect that they may want to enable more in the software, but I can see how it can lead to some upsetting drains and possibly stuck balls.

#2756 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Interesting.... So what happened on the Pro during those modes?
Other than the Rex, really feels like the only significant different is the raptor pen. I'm a bit disappointed the LE is the only one with a shaker....
Thank you for the write up, by the way!

I forgot half the stream was the pro, so he was tossing it a bit more.

The dino tossing the ball has no effect though. You can disable the toss on the premium and it'll put the ball on the ramp. The end result is the same, shoot the ramp, the ball returns via the wire to the left inlane.

#2796 4 years ago
Quoted from ViperJelly:

With all the praise on the animations I watched some of the video again. I like that they have a lot of animations I am just not sure they are great. Based on what I saw I do not believe they are better than BKSOR.

I wonder how much of that is pre-rendered footage vs generated by Spike. I kinda wonder how much GPU power Spike 2 has in general.

And of course it’s a different team and project manager, although there is some overlap.

#2850 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

I'd assume they're all prerendered. There'd be no reason to use a live graphics engine in this game. I assume so anyway.

Well stuff like the map screen is being rendered by the game because it has to keep show all the locations of the various players and such.

#2873 4 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

I had to put Carrot flippers so it would be more playable

Carrot flippers are bigger? Didn't realize

Seems like someone could make a killing making slightly longer flippers to tighten up the gap. Not only on Ghostbusters, but many other games. Sorta like the opposite of people that put on lightning flippers to make games harder.

#2996 4 years ago
Quoted from bemmett:

What code version does it say they have?

Never understood why people care about code versions in software. The number is an arbitrary distinction and only meaningful to the programmers. The game looked mostly complete on the stream except maybe some additional polish and possibly more wizard mode work. Stern's last few games have all been feature complete within two or so months of shipping.

#3012 4 years ago
Quoted from bemmett:

Well perhaps then you didn't own a Ghostbusters or Game Of Thrones or Kiss or ......, I wouldn't consider anything related to Stern as being arbitrary. Have they done better recently, yes, but do you they have a consistent track record, absolutely not. The code version can sometimes give some insight to how far along they feel it is.

Well lets work backwards

Black Knight SOR = basically finished when it came out

Munsters = basically finished when it came out

Beatles = finished when it came out

Deadpool = done within three or so months

Iron Maiden = basically finished when it came out

GotG = done within four or so months

Star Wars = I'll admit to not being super familiar with this code history, but it seemed to come out basically done

Aerosmith = basically finished when it came out

Batman 66 = the one game that did ship with garbage code, but Stern was upfront about it and would go on to make it their deepest game to date

Ghostbuster = done within a few months, but still going to see a large overhaul because of complaints over the years

So in the last four years...Stern has done a pretty great job with getting games to feature complete code shortly after launch.

#3022 4 years ago

Y'alls beer drinkin is too highfalutin for me
6811f73679d19edfb5f399eb1d780f992120850085-600x450 (resized).jpg6811f73679d19edfb5f399eb1d780f992120850085-600x450 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Shrewsbury, NJ
$ 8.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 89.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

6,150 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

$ 12,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Machine - For Sale
Manalapan, FL
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 17.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
FlipMods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider treybo69.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/next-cornerstone-stern-game-will-be-summer-release?tu=treybo69 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.