OogGVgR (resized).jpg
eaa413c52c22d45c0ffa37f716f5da41 (resized).png
14B1FB8C-079D-4E0D-9068-C7F93D5B4542.gif
DAF0E307-0638-4179-AC1C-5309A60252E3.gif
grow-huge-buds (resized).jpg
legal-marijuana-in-michigan-looks-promising (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
JP-grass (resized).jpg
Jurassic-Park-LE-Flyer.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #404 Promo Photos Posted by Coolpinballdino (4 years ago)

Post #1234 Stream Reveal Posted by Auror (4 years ago)

Post #1501 Feature matrix Posted by Spyderturbo007 (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider thefamilyarcade.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1009 4 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

First reaction:
1) Hard to really say one way or another because this photos aren't very good. You can't zoom in and see any detail so honestly everyone should hold off and wait for the final photos/videos. Secondly without seeing a video of it being played again hard to tell.
2) Negatives: It looks just like Octoberfest. Not crazy about the artwork or the color of powder coating on an LE. If the game doesn't have video assets from the movie, the game isn't in my view a high end collector game. There is a new standard for collector games and I think you need clips from the movie. If this game doesn't have video assets it will be the how many in a row games they didn't get, pay for, or use video assets IE Deadpool. What is the deal with that goofy looking toy jeep? I'm sorry that looks goofy. Last negative why would stern let all these photos be be leaked without actually releasing real photos?
3) Positives: Unlike the most barron game in modern history "Black Knight" the game seems packed with stuff, to the point it almost look a bit cluttered. No matter I'm happy to see Stern getting back making a World under the glass. But I have to say again without seeing high rez photos its hard to tell pro or con just how much you like the game. If anyone can honest say they love the playfield when you zoom in and everything goes blurry... it looks good actually looks great but you can't zoom in to really see.
4) Negatives Part 2: I'm not sure this theme is what anyone is dying to buy. There is already a widely loved JP game out there, and without the movie clips I don't know why we need another one honestly. I think Stern should have done Stranger Things. With all that being said this is multiple game in a row based on a movie that Stern didn't get the movie assets (Deadpool). As a pinball COLLECTOR I want movie clips. If I was a pinball player I agree who cares. Its kind of like this, you never knew you wanted movie clips until you got them. If you're one of the best players in the world, you could care less. I get it.
5) Will the game sell? This game isn't going to sell like Ghostbusters or ACDC because honestly I don't think people care about collectables from this franchise. People might see the movies but do they inspire people to collect from the films? I think the answer is no. People are going out of their way to get collectables from Halloween, Stranger Things, Star Wars, etc... not JP. I think the game is going to sell but it will be something just above average for Stern. Lastly on this subject this game is going to be compared to Octoberfest... so what that means is now Octoberfest is DOOMED.
6) No matter what I said or anyone said, doesn't matter until you see HIGH REZ photos. No matter what anyone says, until you play it you don't know anything... based on what I see the three takeaways are these:
a) Pinball game looks packed that is great. Looks like a really fun pinball to play.
b) Not crazy about missing film clips, not crazy about the art or powder coating on an LE.
c) The theme for me is kinda like okay I've seen the movies, they're okay, fun movies but nothing you collect from like on Star Wars. There is no radical fan base that will go to the end of the earth to see something from the movies. Its fun summer popcorn movie. I give the theme a B minus, whereas ACDC is an A plus. People are so fanatical right now about Stranger Things, It, Avengers, Queen, blah, blah... I think Stranger Things game gets a lot of national media whereas this game will not.
I think people are going to get excited about the game if for no other reason than people want to see a new game from Stern with a license with more toys, and creative layouts, ect Iron Maiden is a popular game because of the game itself, but the band just isn't that popular. I've talked to so many people who said Iron maiden is their favorite pinball of all time because of the game itself, while not loving the theme. I think this is why more people will want to buy this title over the last few because there are more people familiar with the theme.
Pinball players like a good pinball game, like Iron Maiden, but collectors want something more. I think this new game is somewhere in the middle so we'll just have to wait and see the final product in person.
Overall the game looks cool, looks jam packed unlike the black knight. I think its going to sell pretty good but I think they'll do better with a hotter theme like Stranger Things or getting an iconic band Queen, Led Zep, etc. The guy who designed this game did amazing job on Iron Maiden so I'm sure its going to be fun!

By the time I read this, this had 33 downvotes and no upvotes. WTF is going on on Pinside now? This is NOT an immflamatory post! True, Mr. Dr. Frightener has posted plenty of polemic stuff, but not this. Clearly people are just downvoting without reading.

Be better Pinside. In fact, Be Best.

#1037 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Yeah original cab was better. Stand a mile away squint your eyes you'd still know what the game is. But that style is long gone in the current DETAIL IS KING pinball art world.
The only reason people are saying this looks like Oktoberfest is because GREEN.
Title cards are fine, they match the other colors in the game. Sheesh.
I'm sure Stern was pressured by Universal to make World instead of Park. They probably would have gotten more assets as well. Glad they didn't. Nobody cares about the new movies, but the original is The Millenial's Star Wars.
Its really no different than Stern SW being original trilogy instead of the new movies.

Why is plain JP cab cool and iconic but Willy Wonka plain cab is a disaster?

#1156 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

It's been going on for years...just look at your upvote %

That’s something I obviously care a lot about. Now you have me worried about it.

#1159 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:Congrats man! Your first?
Yeah, but this still feels more lively, and the how many other threads leading up to this, than most other releases.
I do have a feeling this is going to cut Wonka to the candy bits. Either way, my paycheck isn't affected.....unless I bought one or both, that is!

Right. People slam Wonka because of asset misuse. JP has NO assets and gets off scot free? Doubt that.

#1163 4 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

I am have a confession to make, I saw Dr Frightener’s post and just down voted it without even reading it. I need to get paid if I am to read his crap.

Exactly. Thank you for admitting it.

This is what the world is these days. Pinside is simply an extension of our lazy, ignorant world. Proudly expressing opinions literally based on....nothing. And in the US, it comes straight from the top.

#1171 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

My guess would be animations first. Code on IM was good at launch, but the weirdo placeholder shitty video was deserving of flak. Although I do miss "Fatass" running away.

Don't give a shit if you care or not; but you know aboot it so don't act like it's a new thing.

Dude, are you from Canada or what? What’s with the constant “aboot”? If you live in MI, write Amercan!

#1173 4 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Have you seen Dr.Frighteners posts? I’ve read novels that are shorter. Plus he just keeps repeating his points in every post, so it’s perfectly fine to thumb them up or down without reading the whole thing.

Sometimes I read his posts and sometimes not. And yeah, most of the time he’s talking out of his ass. The only reason I even read the long post in question is because I expected it to be ridiculous and incendiary. And it had 33 down votes. But it was actually a reasonable, fairly well informed post that was hardly insulting or provacative. And yet it had 33 downvotes.

I don’t take most of the dude’s posts very seriously, but I won’t take people seriously at all that downvote any pinsider posts that they do not bother taking the time to read.

#1177 4 years ago
Quoted from Gotfrogs:

At least Stern did not pay for them. I find it really strange that JJP apparently has the rights to them but just chose not to.

Totally fair point, but I think most of us will agree that the reason we go apeshit over our favorite themes is because of the movie - and all the relevant assets - from the movie!

X-MEN and Avengers, to name two, are two very good games that absolutely got eviscerated because they weren’t based on the movies. That’s what we WANT! That’s why themese are popular in the first place. A JP pinball machine in 2019 with an LCD screen and stereo sound THAT DOESNT HAVE MOVIE ASSETS is a freaking FAIL!

And people complain about Star Wars! SW has every asset you want, VERY well integrated with the game. The ATTRACT mode in SW is better than 90% of every game ever, themewise. And it’s a fast, hard game (The King!) with deep addictive rules to boot, and it just gets shit on over and over.

The new JP may be fun as hell, with a great layout and great toys. But to tell me the movie assets don’t matter for this game is just a disingenuous, lame fucking lie.

#1292 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Uh, your memory of these games and how the reception went, and why, doesn't match mine.

Uh, wut? You’re joking right? The fact that neither of these games had call outs from the movie actors is basically what sunk them. X-MEN suffered from bad code out of the gate, but Rare Hero’s incessant rants about the callouts gathered critical mass and eradicated any hope that improved code - WHICH HAPPENED - could save the game.

Avengers was doomed from the start for the exact same reason. Yes, there were QC issues, but the fact that the Avengers movie actors weren’t in the game doomed it.

Both games are good, but the lack of movie assets sealed their fate.

Are you really disputing this?

#1293 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:If the JP animations play with audio not synced up to them.... get back to us. Until then... that comparison is horseshit.

What movie animations? There are none. You’re barking up the wrong tree here Flynnabutt.

#1294 4 years ago
Quoted from PinKopf:

I always thought basing the X-Men pin on the cartoon/comics was a great move - it's the callout voices that didn't quite make the cut there IMO...

Whatever. I guarangoddamntee you that if Hugh Jackson and Halle Berry’s voices are in XMEN from the get - go, all early code sins are forgiven and it goes down as one of Sterns best modern era games. But now LEs - packed LEs! - sell in the 4’s. The market decided this, not you or I on Pinside.

You’re conflating the benefits of comic art (versus actor based photoshop) with the notion of an actual theme. Comic books don’t really have a theme do they? Oh, well, maybe, if you’re a dork.

The fact is that people want what they saw in the movies. Your false equivalent is akin to cover bands - or karaoke mixes - taking the place of the actual fucking songs in a music pin.

I can’t believe I’m even arguing this point. Twice! Pinside has spoken and the world, as ever, has voted with their wallets. When the movie assets aren’t done right, the games lose their luster. Every. Fucking. Time.

Don’t be obtuse.

#1297 4 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

No, please, continue racking up those downvotes like they are worth money.

Xmen is WAY better based on the comic than the movies and Avengers IS based on the movie(ish). Do you even pinball?

I’ve owned both game dude. I know all the history. Do you? Grayson‘s dad might be a little slow.

#1300 4 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Thankfully the X-Men pin was comic book based and not photoshops of those awful X-Men movies.

You’re talking art dude. Not theme integration. Any moron can agree that hand drawn art is better than photo shop. The rules were fixed. And X-MEN is fucking loaded. So why do LEs sell in the 4’s? You know why, because nobody gives a rats fucking ass about comic books (X-men or otherwise) aside from cool art.

Do comic books talk? Do they have a soundtrack? Do they have MASS CULTURAL APPEAL and iconic status? I’ll answer for you. No, they don’t. You know what do? Movie franchises. People fucking lose their shit over the good ones. They gross billions of dollars in days.

I feel I’m arguing with double digit IQs tonight.

#1303 4 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

"Amercan" is a language I've never heard of. XD
Well, since this is a Dutch Forum why not write in Dutch?

You've probably been speaking American every single time you’ve uttered a word in the English language for as long as you’ve lived. But whatever man. You do you.

#1309 4 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Both of those games had huge hype when they were first announced! The phrase $10k by Christmas exists because of XMen. The Avengers Hulk edition was a near instant sellout. It wasn't until sometime later that the collector sentiment started to turn against both games. Early on I remember collector's being positive and hyped.

Ok, so why did they tank? Give me the #1 reason.

#1311 4 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

But I'm guessing has he has never uttered a word of Amercan.

Bullshit. Every person in the world that has spoken a word of “english” in the last 50 years is basically speaking the American version of it. And Europeans speak better English than Americans.

Ironic isn’t it?

#1313 4 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

[quoted image]

Better classy than ignorant.

#1314 4 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

No amount of assets would have saved Avengers.

You really haven’t played very much pinball, have you?

#1318 4 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

Ive never read a comic book and haven’t been to a movie in years. I can’t stand the public when i go to the movies. When it comes to hand drawn art afaik programs like photoshop and the like are used. They’re just drawing digitally and using the software to add in color. I think what we’re looking for is custom “hand drawn” art made specifically for the pinball machine and not copy and pasted images from another asset in that IPs library that was “hand drawn” originally. JP came out in 1993 and if their art has evolved into something different in 2019 it makes sense to use that current art.

I think I agree with you there gramps, but seriously, you should watch a movie sometime. Good bang for your entertainment dollar. Of course, not as good as a solid record album.

LOTR. Photoshopped playfield, and yet arguably the greatest fucking game of all time. Why?

#1322 4 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

You've missed the joke, twice. "Amercan" vs "American". Lighten up.

Ok.

#1325 4 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

He's not aggro. Just NYC friendly.

Love ya Grzzzz. Not even sure if you’re on my side here, but doesn’t matter. You rock. You rarely (not never ) say stupid shit!

#1328 4 years ago

Eh, yeah, the code is great. But so is the code on BM66, and that game can’t hold LOTR’s jock. It’s the call outs! its the movie assets! And the Gimli actor doing the custom work. MOVIE Gimli, not the book’s Gimli, who can’t really talk now can he?

The MOVIE. Not the book. I’m sure 90 purists out of 100 will say the LOTR book trilogy is more satisfying than the movie. But books do shitty callouts. And so do comics. And cartoons? They suck the most.

#1330 4 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Thanks buddy, but it's Agnostic Front and that NYC hardcore that REALLY rocks bub.
Here's to that shit CHEERS.

You come to NYC and the hardcore club and dinner/booze is on me.

#1331 4 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

LOL, WTF is this thread even about anymore?

Hey, do they still make that beer with the jalapeño pepper in it in Cave Creek? Because THATS what this thread should be about.

#1333 4 years ago

Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

You come to NYC and the hardcore club and dinner/booze is on me.

I’ll let you define “hardcore”.

#1985 4 years ago
Quoted from unigroove:

Congrats to Keith Elwin and his team for what looks to be a rather refreshing and innovating game!

Interestingly, IGN - who I recall often just publishing Stern's standard press release - is surprisingly critical on this game and raising some valid questions.
The trailer doesn't show any footage from the movie, which made me wonder: if RawThrills would be doing a Jurassic Park-themed Arcade shooter game without any scenes from the movie, just shooting dinosaurs, are people complaining about the lack of movie footage? Or is that typical for the pinball community?

For the first time in history, Pinside has decided not to care about movie assets. Progress!

#2093 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

At Flix Brew house.
Again, this movie has a Hella following.[quoted image]

There’s a movie?

#2098 4 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Hazoff, you need to stop talking up Black Knight. You are in a minority and that's ok but you cant keep using Bk3 as an example of greatness. YOU think it's great and that's awesome but the consensus seems to be that its boring af and the shots are not balanced well.
2019 Stern games have been less than awesome so far. Go Keith!

Lol dude. BKSoR is a lot closer to BM66 in the ratings (27 to 20) than BM66 is to LOTR (which is #5 with over 5 times as many people rating the game).

You were railing on me earlier for “my opinion”, and now you’re ragging Hazoff about “consensus”.

#2138 4 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

I really dont understand what you are even talking about.
I dont like bk3 and I was just razzing another local pinsider.
Also, I love someone who starts quoting pinside ratings. You seem like youd be really fun to hang out with.

And yet you’ve rated 54 machines on Pinside. Don’t you have anything better to do?

You said that my saying BM66 can’t hold LoTRs jock “was just my opinion.” An opinion shared by over 1,000 other Pinsiders and probably 100,000 pinheads worldwide. The numbers really don’t lie in this case.

Just like BKSoR. You then say the “consensus” (not opinions?) is that the game sucks - based on what? Anecdotal evidence by a bunch of Pinside haters? Pinside says that BKSoR is pretty decent (ranked 27th). Almost as decent as BM66.

No, I don’t care about ratings, but they seem to bear out your hypocrisy in this particular matter quite well, and took all of 1 minute to verify. So why not?

#2156 4 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

You are thinking Premium on BM66. BM66 LE's and SLE's rarely come up for sale and when they do they disappear quickly at higher than new prices.

There’s not a lot of empirical evidence to support this statement. The Pinside archives show some sold for a little more than NIB...but they are often modded with hundreds off dollars or more worth of stuff. Many for sale were pulled back. I’d guess because asking prices were not being paid.

Kaneda admits he has over $3k in mods on his SLE, and yet can’t sell it at $18k.

#2159 4 years ago

Back to JP2, this game seems promising. The layout looks fantastic and Keith’s rules for IDMN were terrific. I’m not sure how interesting or captivating the storyline will be without movie assets (besides Nedry) but we’ll see. Actually, I’d probably pick Nedry over anyone else for callouts anyway, because his character is hilarious and this could prove to be excellent.

My point earlier wasn’t that movies assets were better, just that Pinside has been highly critical and intolerant of games that didn’t use them (Avengers to name an obvious example). With a franchise as massive as Jurassic Park, I’m surprised there’s isnt more disappointment or outrage.

But I know full well Jurassic Park 2 can still be an excellent game. Avengers is, cartoon callouts and all. And so is Deadpool, to cite a more recent example.

JP2 is looking good.

#2166 4 years ago
Quoted from jdoz2:

Totally agree about the Wayne Knight quotes. Really excited to see if there’s some humor or taunting going on from him

Exactly. Those games are the best. The JK Simmons call outs for Spider-Man are a great example. At first blush, you think huh, really? But it totally works with the game. He taunts you constantly, and it’s awesome. Way better than Toby McGuire could ever be.

And if I may say so, the movie callouts from the original SM game are way better and more fun than the callouts on SMVE (which are from the cartoon or something? Which few people know, and they’re just not as good as JK Simmons). Of course, I prefer the art on the Vault, because comic art is cool and photoshopped actors are usually boring. One exception for me is LOTR. I actually think the playfield art on that is balanced and well done. The photoshop doesn’t bother me in that one. SW is OK, but they missed an opportunity there, I think.

So Nedry is a very good call (out)!

#2415 4 years ago

I’m exhausted watching Elwin play. Wow.

Game is amazing. A lot of work went into it.

#2806 4 years ago
Quoted from pickleric:

I want to love Wonka, the layout looks amazing.
Theme integration / mission objective wise I get more excited about trapping dinosaurs, shooting missiles, and defending against computer viruses vs. collecting chocolate bars.

This really says it all for Willy Wonka. They kinda screwed up. Wonka might have had a chance to be more impressive than JP, but at this stage, it’s not even close. JP is just way more “pinball”.

I do wish the JP music was a little more rockin’. The game just goes crazy sometimes, an absolute frenzy, and if there was some heart pumping music it would be, er, better IMO. The seemed pretty tame and soundtracky, but I might be wrong about this, as I was concentrating on the gameplay and mostly other stuff. But because I didn’t really notice the soundtrack, I’m worried it’s kinda tame.

But even so, you’re battling dinosaurs and shooting missles and in Wonka you’re collecting Wonka Bars.

#2812 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballonthemark:

If you listen very closely, it is the sounds of the Dilophosaurus that killed Nedry. It is the sound when he tries to have the dinosaur fetch a stick. Then it keeps following him and eventually he meets his demise.

Oh shit...Spoiler Alert!

#2836 4 years ago
Quoted from SkillShot:

I find the animations to be pretty good in Aerosmith. The characters mouths actually move to the music and the animations tie in with the shots in the scenes. They are cartoony, but that also ties in with the art.

I agree. The animations are great, but there aren’t enough of them. More variation would make the animation package more impactful. It seems the same animations over and over, and since there isn’t a traditional mode based “story” to a music pin, the animations feel a little static.

But the game kicks ass, and Dirty Donny’s art is outstanding. JP art package not close. And I’ll be interested to see if the JP animations and voice actors get a little old or grating after awhile. We’ll see.

#2837 4 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Yeah, the center of the playfield looks awesome with those yellow band members...

Yeah, and an all green, flat, “candy land” game board...without the candy... taking up the entire middle of the playfield is so much better.

#2869 4 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

From what I heard the delta between a normal gap and a Trudeau gap is 1/8". This means that from the center-line, each flipper gets moved outward by 1/16". However on GB, each flipper was moved 1/8" from the center-line, meaning the gap is 1/4" wider than a normal flipper gap and 1/8" wider than a normal Trudeau gap.
When you walk up to a GB, it's apparent to the eye that the flipper gap is wider than normal, even if only 1/8" greater than what he's known for. Even more apparent if something like a Mustang is close by.

Wow, was that an oversight/mistake by Trudeau or Stern? Or intended?

That would be a trip if the entire geometry of the game was based on his traditional gap, but in reality the gap is twice as wide as usual.

#2872 4 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

unfortunately no. someone f'ed up the schematics and the cnc programming resulting in an additional 1/8" gap between the flippers outside of trudeau's larger gap
it wasn't caught until the playfields were cut, screened and cleared

Ok so this. Which should (negatively?) impact all the shooting angles? I actually don’t mind how it shoots. I mind how some of the ramps reject the ball or slow it down.*But wait, Stern probably orders playfield multiple times, depending on long term, demand. So do some tables have a smaller flipper gap? If not, why not?

JP’s shots seem pretty locked in, if you hit them correctly. Keith’s timing on that upper flipper after a loop return is downright jaw dropping. His reflexes are pretty amazing. And his touch, and shot making and decision making.

Dude should be a fighter pilot!

#3131 4 years ago
Quoted from Budman:

That translight is weak

So is the playfield art.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
10,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 14.95
$ 289.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Maine Home Recreation

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 199.00
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Mariposa, CA
$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
JURASSIC PARK PRO Pre-order!
The Pinball Place

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider thefamilyarcade.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/next-cornerstone-stern-game-will-be-summer-release?tu=thefamilyarcade and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.