New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 247792)

Next Stern title is JP2 Jurassic Park

By Whysnow

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 3,615 posts
  • 534 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by TheLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 63 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 411 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pic1187187 (resized).jpg
2D753FE8-9E2E-404B-B81C-2095AF0773F0 (resized).jpeg
enema-1553255444 (resized).jpg
E1F1D222-E3E5-4C7E-A6D7-E06DAA62D0F4 (resized).png
schmittsgay.gif
farleyangry.gif
BE63333A-2982-43A0-A5B5-7BD0351A494A (resized).jpeg
OogGVgR (resized).jpg
eaa413c52c22d45c0ffa37f716f5da41 (resized).png
14B1FB8C-079D-4E0D-9068-C7F93D5B4542.gif
DAF0E307-0638-4179-AC1C-5309A60252E3.gif
grow-huge-buds (resized).jpg
legal-marijuana-in-michigan-looks-promising (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
JP-grass (resized).jpg
Jurassic-Park-LE-Flyer.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #404 Promo Photos Posted by Coolpinballdino (1 year ago)

Post #1234 Stream Reveal Posted by Auror (1 year ago)

Post #1501 Feature matrix Posted by Spyderturbo007 (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jimwe5t.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1955 1 year ago
Quoted from Wineinger09:

T-Rex tossing the ball like that going to cause playfield damage?

You’re kidding with that question right??? You don’t think for one second that Stern didn’t already think of that??? Of course they did and it will be no issue.

#2237 1 year ago

Premium is a relatively good buy (although all tables are priced on the high side), but LE does hold value better in the eye of a collector if the title is big enough. Add up all the extras on the LE and you’ll come out near the $1400 extra paid and that’s not considering the (subjectively speaking) better art package. Lollipop rails, invisiglass, mirrored back glass, better sound system, metallic armor paint, shaker motor, LE inside art blades and that’s not counting the signed certs, with numbered unit. Only 250 LE’s stay here in the USA, so it’s not really 500. Did a cost analysis if you buy these things separately and you’re there price wise and that’s not counting unique art package.

#2472 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Yeah. Best animations in pinball still go to JJP / J.P for Dialed In / Pirates in my opinion, easily. The character animations on Dialed In mini LCD are incredible (plus multiple varieties for each character) along with the main LCD animations.
Stern's JP Jurassic Park has some really nice animations. The scenes of the car going through the park are cool as is the animated island map screen, both are high quality. The T-Rex water cup animation and main building animations look very rough though. Overall Stern has really stepped up their LCD animations.

We get it, you’re a number one JJP fan boy leading their cheers. But honestly stop with your posting of promoting JJP in a Stern thread. It gets old. I’ve got family who does Disney animation for a living and their first comment when seeing JJP animations has been, what amateurs have done this work? Said Dialed In for example looked 10 years old, animations are so poor. JP animations are far superior from a professional viewpoint, than the 2 tables you mentioned. Although, I like POTC GUI. Just the rest of it is subpar, imo.

#2559 1 year ago
Quoted from wesman:

Ten minutes into the stream, finally, and the modes and ideas in this game look better than the playfield. So I'm really happy with that. Code looks fun and inventive, and like they've used the license in a playful and compelling way! I only wish the transitions between animations occured, rather than quick edits, and that the screen was larger.
This really looks like a fun, playful, and well integrated game! I definitely want to watch more, look forward to playing it and then maybe even.....

Stern did their homework on screen size. It is just the right size. Any larger and it would become ineffective. A smaller translite would lose its charm and there would be reflection from a larger screen onto the playfield. Almost all players want quick transitions to keep the flow of the game going. Stern has a long track record of experience to get the balance right.

#2561 1 year ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

In what aspect beside sound integration do you think this beats willy wonka?

Sorry, but this game beats WW in every category and it’s not even close, although they both shoot well. Especially price! JJP equivalent to Stern LE is their CE. Both set at maximum of 500 units. WW sells for a whopping $3,500.00 more than a Stern LE, which is more loaded than WW. The big toy of WW, the gobbstopper, doesn’t even touch the ball, it just spins around. The big toy of JP is a fully animatronic T-Rex that follows the ball, eats the ball, spits the ball out, lays the ball down in a lane or throws the ball randomly onto the playfield. Awesome ball interaction, which is what pinball is all about. Gobbstopper spins and never touches the ball. Is that spinning toy worth more at WW $7,500 to $12,500.00 price tag, instead of JP’s $5,500 to $9,000 with actual ball interactive toys: of our hard earned money???

(Only JJP fan boys will down vote the truth, lol.)

#2566 1 year ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

all I can say is that you have not played JP and it appears you have not played Wonka either.
Outside of that, the JJP LE is every bit the closest comparative to the Stern LE.
I suggest taking a deep breath and then go playing them both if you are in the market for one.
I have time extensively on Wonka and it is super fun. Best shooting JJP to date and full featured.
Looking forward to playing JP2 (both pro and premium in 2 days at ReplayFX) and then actually judging for myself based off actually playing the game.

True, I haven’t played JP yet, but come on, Keith Elwin did the game and we all saw the stream. No question, it shoots well. I said WW shoots well too. But WW is stripped by comparison. It does not have all the great interactive toys JP has or even POTC does and you’re kidding yourself if you think it does.

You’re also kidding yourself it you think a JJP LE, which is not an LE except in name only at 5,000 units, which is laughable!!! It does not compare in any aspect to a Stern LE. One example: Stern LE has mirrored back glass, JJP CE has mirrored back glass (JJP LE does not have mirrored back glass). The Stern LE and the JJP CE are the 2 comparable tables, as they are both the true collectors table offerings from both companies. The JJP LE is not limited in any way in pinball sales terms. Now you take a deep breath, lol!!!

#2572 1 year ago
Quoted from frolic:

Just like JJP doesn't make a Pro, Stern doesn't make a CE. LE vs LE is a fair fight. Premium vs Standard is a fair fight. But it also means Pro vs nothing, and CE vs nothing.

Sorry, but this makes no logical sense.

JJP has a pro, called by a different name, known as an SE. JJP specifically stated they lowered the price by $500 to make it somewhat more affordable for locations, to compete with a Stern Pro, which sells to the same category. Let’s face it, all JJP tables are sold at a much higher price tag, except the original Woz, which sold for $6,500. Now that was reasonable.

#2573 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Great point, that's a good way to look at it.
Taking a look at both Wonka and JP, and even reading the arguments for both, shows just how great of a time it is for pinball. Two awesome pins released within months of each other.

Of course panzer, you would say this illogic is a good point. Lol

#2582 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Dude. New JJP SE's should be compared to a Stern Premium, they are basically the same price. JJP doesn't make a pro.

Dude, this again makes no sense in the 3 table offerings. Only the 3 different names have you confused, but they both offer similar burgers. One plain, one with cheese and one with bacon cheese. All the same, just at different price points, which seems to be confusing to you. Stern doesnt use the name SE, but a pro is a Stern standard edition. Only price is different between the two. They are both targeted by both companies marketing talk to locations. Quite being so confused on the issue. It’s plain to see.

#2587 1 year ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

it actually makes complete sense.
Stern for years has rounded out the bottom end and uses their scale of production to make a stripped down version. They continue to explore this bottom end with the "home editions"
JJP has for years looked at the top end and tried to cater to the collector market.
Over time both companies have tried to compete with small adjustments.
For the first time JJP took something out of a game in order to lower BOM and try to get more in to the route market (which seems to have worked in my POV)
For the first time Stern seems to be trying to jam more in to the Pro to make it more desirable to the home buyer.
There is no doubt about it that things are evolving for both companies but the logical comparisons just like Frolic stated.

I can see that you and Panzer are both JJP fans and I wonder why you started a Stern thread and why Panzer trolls Stern threads. You both are illogical and cannot see the forest for the trees. Makes no logical sense in what you’re saying. 3 offerings from each company, but only with different names and price points. Both companies target the same 3 categories and is the reason they both offer 3 different table choices to those same category buyers.

#2592 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

All I have to say is this:
JJP
Stern
JJP
STERN!!
JJP!!!!
STERRRRN!!!
JJP!?>!??!

You’re right, there isn’t a versus here. Stern is the giant of the industry. JJP is a boutique player at best. No comparison. Stern puts out yearly, what JJP has put out in their almost 10 years of existence. Only 5 tables.

#2593 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

You have been acting like the new #1 Stern fanboy over the past 24 hours. So I troll Stern threads because I said I think Dialed in and Pirates has the best animations in pinball and then complimented Stern's animation work for JP? Get out of here with that crap.

Must you stoop to a lower level??? Keep it civil and nice please.

Lol, usual downvotes by JJP fan boys, over asking someone to be nice??.

#2760 1 year ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Of course WW is stripped down. WHIRLWIND is a system 11 game. Kinda hard to compare the two. Like apples and oranges.

Don’t be silly, you know we’re talking about Willy Wonka.

#2763 1 year ago
Quoted from stantman:

Wow - I feel like I'm in the twilight zone here. This pin is a great (best ever, IMO) theme and certainly a popular new designer who's managed to get Stern to increase their budget a bit more, but dang, I have no idea why you are all gushing so much about this game. If this is all you need Stern to do, you're totally letting them off the hook. I get the feeling there's some group think/hype going on here that's influencing more people than will admit it. I was hoping for some special, and what we got doesn't interest me much at all.
The overall package looks great. I don't love the artwork, but it's ok and theme relevant, and the playfield certainly screams Jurassic Park, but that's pretty much the most positive thing I can say.
The layout has a ton packed into it. Yes, it has some cool features (t-rex toy), fun ramps, neat fake-jeep feature, cool raptor area, but it all comes with a downside. It's a clunk-fest. I watched the stream and even watched the best player in the world have trouble making shots. Rattle, rattle, post, clunk. Keith occasionally got into a good rhythm and showed how cool the game could be IF you can manage to hit a string of overly tight shots, but I best most people will have trouble. I hesitate to suggest which shots should have been removed, as all of them are pretty cool in their own right, but there's just too many of them. Everything's too tight. Damn... opportunity lost. This game could be so much fun, but the clunkiness kills it. Before posting this, I went back and clicked on 10 random points in the stream. I think 1 of the 10 showed a guy making a shot. The rest were posts and ramp rattles. Wonka destroys this game in playability.
You guys really think the animations are a step up? The LCD usage in this game is TERRIBLE. Stern, you can do so much better! Please don't listen to these people who think this is good enough. Please redo these! BK3 wasn't great either, but it is infinitely better than this. Why? The fake Jurassic Park content doesn't look great. The overly dark images done purposely to keep designers from adding detail look terrible. The quick changes to like 10 differerent scenes in short amounts of time is jarring. The bonus summaries changing the background for every award is difficult to process. The text sitting directly on top of animation graphics makes it super hard to read. The normal gameplay screen has too much information squeezed in with too small fonts. There's so much opportunity to make a beautiful graphical presentation, and this game completely misses the mark. ACNC destroys this game in LCD implementation. JJP destroys this game in terms of animation quality.
Lightshows... everything seems the same. Normal gameplay doesn't do much, hit a good shot in a mode and get a random, fast, blinky pattern. Whoopee. Soo many lights on the playfield, such poor integration. Spooky and JJP lightshows both crush this.
Sound... ok. I think this is the best part of the game right now. I don't love the voices, but everything else is integrated fairly well.
And dang, Stern. Why is the high score entry switching back and forth between DMD-style and high res? Looks awful. And who did the font selections on this game? Wasn't there a font-gate on Wonka? This game has the strangest choices for fonts and colors.
Yikes - I think this opinion won't be popular, but damn I had such high hopes for this game, and it totally misses the mark. Stern hopefully fixes the display and lights, but I don't think there's much they can do about the layout. I was so ready to buy this, but the stream killed my excitement. Maybe playing it will help, but I'm not a great player, and even some great players on the stream couldn't shoot this game well. Wonka's theme integration is really bad, but it looks a ton more fun to shoot.

A long negative diatribe with falsehoods against Stern and pro JJP? This has to be Dr. Frightener under a new name. What a goof...

#2764 1 year ago
Quoted from NorCalRealtor:

Another JJP sycophant showing their insecurity.

The great thing about JP being so packed with awesome game flow, the JJP fanboys are shaking and scared their Willy Wonka doesn’t hold up to the new competition.

(Yes, the usual JJP fanboys will downvote this.)

#2775 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

No, a Stern Premium and JJP SE are now basically the same price. There isn't a JJP pro. Compare JJP CE to a Stern SLE if ya wish! You only want to compare a Stern Pro to a JJP SE to say the JJP game costs more lol.

Man are you daft??? The names are different yes. The product category is the same, marketed to the same demographics by both companies.

Because an SE and premium are the same price doesn’t automatically put them in the same demographic. It actually shows how over priced a JJP SE is over a comparable Stern pro ($2,000.00 price difference). Both marketed to the same audience.

#2966 1 year ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Just watched another 30 minutes of the stream. No sound, just the footage.
There’s so many satisfying shots in this game:
- the right mini ramp shot.
- the raptor cage
- the left tower shot
- left upper loop
- center loop shot
Not to mention the 2 main ramp shots which are fantastic. Game just looks incredibly fun to shoot.
Any complaining at this stage really is just nit-picking.
I get that it’s not perfect - it’s a shame there’s no actual footage, that the callouts could be better, that the art isn’t art gallery worthy, that there’s some plastics that could have been sculpts.
But one of the best things is the game doesn’t take itself too seriously. It just looks like fun and for some reason I feel like that’s been missing in pinball since the 90’s.

I like and agree with what you’re saying, except:
1. No actual footage is a good thing IMO. No way to satisfy everyone and if anyone wishes to see the footage, put on a $20 copy in 4K and see all the footage you want. Like the idea of newly created story lines and footage animated. So much more new stuff is done with this, rather than sandwich in various movie footage that is not meant necessarily for the game.
2. The art work is art gallery worthy, because all art is in the eye of the beholder. Go to an art gallery and take a look. So much stuff there is hard to figure out why it’s worthy to be called art. 3 different art packages to choose from. All make you feel like you’re in the JP universe.
3. Sculpts are not that good on most tables. Take the spinning pirate on POTC, it is not too good or the witch on WOZ or the sculpt on MET. Tables without sculpts, look more 21st century, unless Hallmark has done them. They’re the only people that seem to pull off a good sculpt. JP has a modern look to the table and gives the feel of being in JP. Most mod/sculpts are 3D printed and unless the printer is high caliber and printing at 1 micron, most 3D printed sculpts, look like trash.

#3028 1 year ago

May we get back to seeing pics from the exhibit hall and game impressions?

#3031 1 year ago
Quoted from wesman:

Yeah, I've been hearing late September for Premiums.
Thanks for the beer and grub praise everyone! Just trying to help folks out with good eats for this year or next.

But most of us are here to talk about the game, not to be inundated by beer pics and talk. Please leave that out and go to a website focused on that...

#3039 1 year ago
Quoted from drained:

I get it.. stay away from them eightballs.. kills the pin budget among other things.
I know of one buyer that secured $7299 shipped.

Great price! Competition keeps the world going round...

#3053 1 year ago

Translite gives you the feeling your face to face with a velociraptor. Good artwork to get people into the game and feeling of JP. Personally, I like the LE artwork best, but like the sunset oranges of the premium too.

#3064 1 year ago
Quoted from NPO:

3 years ago, I paid $6200 for TWD Prem out the door.
How quickly things change.

Yes I agree, wish those days were still here. 3 years is not long ago and going up more than a grand is a big price increase. Heard it was to match internatinal pricing to stop the disparity between us here in the states and what is paid internationally. Not a good excuse to raise prices imo.

#3133 1 year ago

PF art is nicely done and conveys being at the Jurassic amusement park. It harkens to the original DE PF artwork, only improves upon it. Translites are strong, especially on the LE. Don’t know how much safer the artwork could have been done to please most people.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jimwe5t.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside