OogGVgR (resized).jpg
eaa413c52c22d45c0ffa37f716f5da41 (resized).png
14B1FB8C-079D-4E0D-9068-C7F93D5B4542.gif
DAF0E307-0638-4179-AC1C-5309A60252E3.gif
grow-huge-buds (resized).jpg
legal-marijuana-in-michigan-looks-promising (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
JP-grass (resized).jpg
Jurassic-Park-LE-Flyer.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #404 Promo Photos Posted by Coolpinballdino (4 years ago)

Post #1234 Stream Reveal Posted by Auror (4 years ago)

Post #1501 Feature matrix Posted by Spyderturbo007 (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fytr.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1549 4 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

It doesn't need to move side to side or eat the ball...just let the mouth open to roar. Looks like a broken feature sitting there doing completely nothing....I'd honestly rather have a 3D Raptor and make the T-Rex a flat plastic as it would look better.

We don't have any idea if there is some kind of interaction, lighting + sound effect, etc. on the Pro. Wait and see before you soil your diapers.

#1717 4 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

It doesn't look that way at the first glance but while the Pro still looks great it lost a lot of interactivity.
No Raptor Cage Lock & Bashtoy, no horizontal Spinner, no animated T-Rex Head...

All the stuff that will break on location. Makes sense to leave them out of the Pro.

#1745 4 years ago

I wonder if the video of the T-Rex was sped up? If it really operates at that speed that is fantastic and won't result in long delays like the original JP game did. But my money is on it being a lot slower in real life...

#2281 4 years ago

The T-Rex's jaw looks hinged on the Pro. My bet is that it will open it's mouth and roar, but not interact with the ball in any way.

Love shooting through the pops!

Seems like the T-Rex is long enough that it couldn't drop the ball on the plastic left ramp entrance.

#2339 4 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Im a TAD bit surprised ford wouldnt let them have the explorer considering they did mustang.

Well they wanted to use the Jeep because your like a park employee, not a tourist.

#2367 4 years ago

The "Smart Missile" shot through the pops looks super-satisfying. Super long too, going to be a tough one to nail!

EDIT>> To expand, the reason I love shots through the pop bumpers is that when you miss all hell breaks loose! Unlike if a tight shot is surrounded by posts or targets where it's more of a brick than anything. I kind of hate it when the pops are caged and nothing interesting can happen except you ball dribbles out bottom eventually in the same place more or less the same way everytime. Why bother having them?

#2383 4 years ago
Quoted from crankypants:

Here is a question for you: If the truck position is only set by the player and doesn't reset on player change does it imbalance it (just a little) for tournaments? It's a small thing, but I was always surprised at how much thought designers put into resetting the playfield state for each player. Not a gripe or complaint, just a thought.

Well I kind of love it because it requires a reasonable investment on the player's part to enact.

1. Keep track of which of those two shots the next player needs the most.
2. Execute the shot to change the truck orientation without draining.

It's not "free". Sure you could argue it's essentially "random" if it doesn't reset between players but it's the same for all players so still fair enough (I assume the game would lack the ability to reset the truck position at all).

#2388 4 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Well I kind of love it because it requires a reasonable investment on the player's part to enact.
1. Keep track of which of those two shots the next player needs the most.
2. Execute the shot to change the truck orientation without draining.
It's not "free". Sure you could argue it's essentially "random" if it doesn't reset between players but it's the same for all players so still fair enough (I assume the game would lack the ability to reset the truck position at all).

Okay scratch that. There's no way to strategically leverage changing the truck position and leaving that way for the next player unless you're also willing to end your ball immediately after doing so.

#2455 4 years ago

Geez ez every shot on this game looks like a blast to shoot!

#2730 4 years ago
Quoted from dnaman:

This is almost a 'Jurassic Park the Arcade - for Pinball' type of table.

That pretty much nails it. Plot seems to take place immediately following the 1st movie with you trying to rescue remaining staff by evacuating them off the island, while capturing the loose dinos along the way, etc.

It looks super fun but is very much an arcade-take on the source material. Lots of stuff that doesn't strictly make sense but is fun to include in a more generic "Dino hunt" theme. No serious JP moments here, it's all for simple fun.

But, looks to be a very fun pinball game. Great rewarding shots, fun toys, sound, etc. etc.

#2762 4 years ago
Quoted from tpir:

Not concerned at all. That is the design of the game! i.e. you are on a journey across the island and the perks get better and more difficult to grab as you go. You start at the entrance gate and make your way to the visitors center. (I am not someone who thought this was an issue on GB though so I would imagine most will not agree with me )

Don't you also choose which path to take after each mode via the direction that the truck is facing? That could give you a lot of variety in the order of things.

#2881 4 years ago

For those concerned about the "exposed nuts" and lack of 3D molded pieces everywhere...

It's a pinball machine. The job of the art package and plastics + toys is to evoke a feeling. It's not possible nor even necessary to provide extremely detailed models etc. for a game that you're going to be sending relatively heavy pinballs flying around on.

Need to see it in person of course, but I thought they did a great job on this one. Even the tower looks good to me though made of flat plastics.

This is always happens though when we are looking at static pictures on our computers in isolation of the actual physical game, we tend to focus on tiny details that just blend into the background on the real thing.

Reminds me of the IMDN thread before the games shipped with everyone so concerned about the silver screw heads on the backboard plastics, how can Stern do this! Maybe we can paint them, etc. You know how many comments there have been about those since the games started arriving?? Exactly zero. It's a none issue in the context of an awesome pinball game.

Hell, Addam's Family had so many exposed wires, switcheds, etc. it looked half done the first time I saw it. Didn't stop it from becoming the highest selling game ever. That level of perfection just isn't require or even suited to pinball IMHO. The "apparent resolution" of the entire game must align. If you have a couple of super high quality items it can look disjointed with the rest of the game. Consistency is better.

#2883 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Injection molding isn't actually that simple. It's an amortized cost model, you pay a lot up front, it's easy for molds to cost in the tens of thousands of dollars, and then the plastic for each one is cheap. You want to pump out 100,000 widgets, it's not hard to use volume to make up your initial sunk costs.
Pinball doesn't move 100,000 units. Every time you want to add another injection molded piece to your game you need to pay those up front costs. There's a time cost too, getting the molds made, production etc, and we all know that if you want it at all cheap you're doing that in China. You can add weeks or months to your turnaround working overseas like that. If you discover something in play testing and want to change it, to prevent a ball trap say, you have to start over. New molds, new costs, more time, etc.
There's a reason Stern uses off the shelf toys so often, it avoids those costs and headaches. For things they do custom, like I would imagine the Death Star from Star Wars for instance, that's why the Pro version uses the 'exploding' model even though it doesn't open. Otherwise they'd need a new mold, and those costs. Better to glue the one that opens shut.
I'm sure the mod community will supply new 3D structures for those who care. I'm also sure they won't sell them for dollars per game. Materials like plastic might be cheap, but the economics behind getting you a finished piece often aren't.

This is all true. Except now we have 3D printing. Stern could make a big investment in commercial grade 3D printers and crank out whatever they want.

#2976 4 years ago
Quoted from aztarac:

E-mail I got from a distributor said Pros will ship in late August with LE is September and Premiums in October.

Why soooo looooong?!

..probably got the line filled with those pesky but kinda awesome Star Wars The Pin games...

2 weeks later
#3331 4 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

You really shouldn't use gay in that context, I'm not judging you as I have used it myself before realizing the impact it can have.

I'm pretty sure that topper qualifies in *all* contexts of "gay".

#3431 4 years ago
Quoted from jdoz2:

I think it might. The sling Star posts that have the washers have no bubbling but the smaller upper sling posts have it slightly.

Will most likely end up with washer sized depressions in the clear coat. Not a problem if you never plan on removing them...

#3466 4 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

I'm pretty much a tree-hugging pinko hippie, but I'll cosign this. All those Spanish and Italian pins from the '70s and '80s have godlike clearcoat. My unrestored Prospector and Farfalla look amazing.

Prospector used a polyurethene playfield, no clearcoat required!

#3476 4 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Mine is just good old fashioned ink on wood, with some kind of clearcoat. Maybe they made 'em both ways?

Yeah, maybe it was a polyurethene clear coat (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sonic-prospector-new-arrival).

#3550 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

The flippers were weak on our local JP. Lifted the hood...
All three cool stops were like this...
[quoted image]
Less than one week of play... 36k flips by the audits. Game build date aug 10
This plus the weak engineering on the flipper post have made it tough to keep this game earning :/

Sterns have had extremely sub-standard coil stops for years now. I don't understand why they can't rectify the problem, the replacements I get from Pinball Life are always just fine.

#3580 4 years ago
Quoted from knockerlover:

Coilstops between pro/prem/le are no different.. This happened to a location pinball, where the "Pro" is the right product-market fit.

The issue with the factory Stern coilstops is indeed the rivet. It fails prematurely. A properly built coil stop will very gradually mushroom on the end from many thousands of coil hits. These Stern ones will fall apart due to the rivet failing far sooner.

Put it this way, I keep enough Pinball Life spares around so when I pick up a new Stern I'm ready for the inevitable.

I have no idea why they can't or won't fix the issue, been that way for many years now. I guess they don't care enough to fix it. It's a bit sad really since it's a couple dollar part and having it fail so often hurts pinball operators the most, having a new game down for something so avoidable.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 289.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Maine Home Recreation

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Sherrill, NY
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

€ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Aldie, VA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fytr.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/next-cornerstone-stern-game-will-be-summer-release?tu=fytr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.