OogGVgR (resized).jpg
eaa413c52c22d45c0ffa37f716f5da41 (resized).png
14B1FB8C-079D-4E0D-9068-C7F93D5B4542.gif
DAF0E307-0638-4179-AC1C-5309A60252E3.gif
grow-huge-buds (resized).jpg
legal-marijuana-in-michigan-looks-promising (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
JP-grass (resized).jpg
Jurassic-Park-LE-Flyer.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #404 Promo Photos Posted by Coolpinballdino (4 years ago)

Post #1234 Stream Reveal Posted by Auror (4 years ago)

Post #1501 Feature matrix Posted by Spyderturbo007 (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flynnibus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#812 4 years ago
Quoted from GrimDog:

I’ll never understand the love of JP. Mediocre at best and I was a kid when I saw it with my grandfather.

John Williams score that is still iconic decades later...
Game changing sfx from industrial light & magic
Generational director Steven Spielberg
Great thriller story

Yeah... no idea why the love was liked or spawned a whole series.

Watch the film today and it still stands up great, even in the sfx department.

#814 4 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Weird thing about JP is it doesn’t really have any defining outstanding characters - except dinosaurs.
Most “cult” and enduring movies are known for at least one or a few memorable characters that become inseparable to the theme - Star Wars, Alien, Indiana Jones, Ghostbusters, BTTF etc etc. JP doesn’t really have that - it’s all about the dinosaurs. But who doesn’t love dinosaurs.

Huh?

Jeff goldbum’s character - Ian Malcolm. It boosted JG and he’s still wuotable to this day
Dennis is the source of memes to this day...
Allan grant and Hammond were personas referenced through all the movies too

Of course the movies put raptors in everyone’s lexicon as well

#930 4 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Exactly, he’s the most memorable of all of them, and I had no idea his name was Ian McDonald. Always just thought of him as Jeff Goldblum’s character.
And I remember Newman was in there somewhere also. No idea what his characters name was.
[quoted image]

It's simply that the actor had other roles that were bigger or their persona became bigger. It doesn't detract from their prior work.

Everyone knows Wayne Knight as Newman (Seinfield) - but everyone knows the character from JP.. even if they don't know him by name. Plenty of major characters make memorable impacts, even if you don't know them by name.

Good Fellas... who knows Joe Pesci's characters full name? No one cares.. they know the role.

The other characters in the story established a foothold and mindset referred to multiple times, even if they weren't onscreen. Hammond's folly is a recurring theme through all the movies.

JP isn't Star Wars... but it's up there in Spielberg's portfolio and a pop culture reference in many ways.

#1178 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I dunno, if I was Stern I'd start rethinking this practice of showing the distributors early. Clearly they can't actually be trusted with it.

It’s simply a lesser of evils. The distributors being in the know and being able to answer questions and TAKE orders is a much bigger gain then the distributor looking stupid when the public knows.

Stern has to know the info will get out. But for all their agreements with 3rd parties etc they would still be in good standing. So it’s a nice happy medium where everyone is happy. They get their hype... the distributors are ready, and deals like IGN are maintained and stern did nothing wrong.

#1180 4 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Right. People slam Wonka because of asset misuse. JP has NO assets and gets off scot free? Doubt that.

If the JP animations play with audio not synced up to them.... get back to us. Until then... that comparison is horseshit.

#1252 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

I think the argument is specifically film assets. Which it seems like this won't have any.

Who cares? The original JP didn't have the video assets of the movies assets and we know how great and iconic many of the elements have proven to be. And games like Wonka show that just because you DO have film assets, it doesn't necessarily mean its better.

Seriously.. the media integration in Wonka is horrible. From Scenes that don't climax before the ball is released... to horrible audio clips chosen for the visuals being seen, to scenes you clearly are staring at the people's FACE - yet to not actually play audio that fits the established scene, etc. It's so unnatural and ill fitting.

It points out its WHAT YOU DO WITH THINGS - not what you have, that makes it good or not.

#1264 4 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

I can't handle comments like this anymore. NO JJP games sync audio with clips when using their assets. I know, I own WOZ, Hobbit, and Pirates

I call BS on this. While you may be right about actual voice lines vs watching someone's face... they have the sound effects, etc sync'd to the video. Take for instance the start of multiball on hobbit... smaug's movement through the gold and his fireblast are all sync'd with the video. Same with the jackpot clips.. the sound effects are in sync with the videos.

Contrast this with Wonka, where we get completely disconnected video clips from the sounds and lines played. Like the gobstopper lock 1 and 3 animations..

The whole 'you don't want repeats' also is a poor excuse. You don't face high repeats on mode start animations... yet.. they are devoid of classic lines or scenes played in sync. It's purely them staying away from licensing. They've acknowledged the constraint - they've just done a poor job of working around it in this game compared to prior games.

#1655 4 years ago
Quoted from camcamaro1991:

Jeep - Spinning ball/spring looks like over time it will wear down the clear coat, uneven wear.

Why do you think the balls are even on the PF? It's hard connected to the shaft.. they could be above the PF surface.

#1680 4 years ago

So some fun watching the trailer video closely...

Anyone notice what appears to be ZERO saucers on the game? He's using up posts where we'd normally see saucers (like the control room)

Looks to be zero subways in the game? Everything is up top! Could be a way they've been able to shift BOM credits around to more fun on top!

People comment about T-rex or newton ball wear.. But the jump ramp shooter lane feed will probably wear quicker . Or how about that spiral ramp drop into the orbit?

The shooter lane feeding the U-turn scoop... and the same scoop being shootable from the PF? That's pretty cool!

Notice the layered backboard WITH lighting??

REAL POP BUMPER TOPS! Not plastic tops with LEDs popping through! (ok, sorry Pro.. looks like you still have the ugly f@$%ers)

The game in the video appears to have silicon style rubber on posts, rings, etc... (except the upper right flipper...)

Who can tell where the left orbit (just north of the tower, and between the t-rex ramp) goes? The center spinner shot.. this shot.. and the feed under the spiral habit trail are maybe all one common big orbit at the far back?

The right ramp feeds the spiral which feeds down to the PF itself in the orbit. Hasn't it been awhile since we've seen a ramp+return feed back to the PF surface like that? It should make for some real fun combo action too... right ramp... delay... upper flipper to tower, orbit, etc.

Notice none of the signs have their bulbs protruding through as we normally see? Are we seeing some different bulb setup here, or maybe small board mounted LEDs?

The matrix mentions 'ez slide' rails. Are they talking the PF supports, or are they incorporating what backalley did to improve the actual slide mech so we don't have the harsh bump stop at the end?

This game looks killer from what we see so far. My biggest concern playing is going to be that big massive open area down low, and everything being so far at the back. During multiball that can be tough! Can't wait to see how it actually feels shooting.

I think there's a new King in town...

#1681 4 years ago
Quoted from mrclean:

I think they should of had some type of way to hide these zip ties / mechanics of the T-Rex neck area.. This image is taken right off Stern's website and also noticed it when the video was playing. Perhaps someone will mod almost like a cars shifter boot.
https://sternpinball.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/JurassicPark-LE-Details-02-960x640.webp[quoted image]

How do you plan on getting your head all the way up there into the cabinet to see that?

#1684 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Are you familiar with Stern machines?

I know they've shyed away from them (using saucers that just kick back) - but they've been there in some. But here, no saucers OR subways or Scoops below the PF... I'm wondering the motivation behind the choices. Could it be fitting better to the node board capacities in some way? Either way, it's an interesting twist compared to other designs they've done.

#1942 4 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Who is he/she?

Someone who thinks you should waste 15mins watching them on YouTube so they can monetize your eyeballs... instead of writing things down for free.

#2028 4 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

This is me being nit-picky, but I really don't consider Stern's scoops to be "Scoops". If I can see the ball sitting there waiting to come back to me....it just doesn't feel the same like the Chair/Swamp on TAF, SOL on AFM, Mosh Pit on MB, Slot Machine/Piano on TZ, Cellar on Whirlwind, etc.

Saucers vs scoops.. Scoops the ball drops into, and fire the ball to flow up the curved return or via VUK. Saucers the ball sits in above the PF and is kicked out of the hole.

Batman 66 has a scoop as well - but with VUK return tho vs returning where the ball came from.

#2045 4 years ago
Quoted from DANGERTERROR:

Stern has nothing to do with IGN covering pinball. I do

So you're saying IGN wasn't a launch partner of Stern for recent games and it's all happy coincidence IGN has the exclusive photos and launch timing?

Remember.. we're not talking about origin story of how you two came together - but the content.

#2067 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballRockDude:

How a new game release goes on pinside. Pics and video come out and suddenly the game is the greatest game ever built and if you don’t think so you aren’t a real pinball person.

Did you see the baby before you threw that bath water out?

#2119 4 years ago
Quoted from DANGERTERROR:

Yeah those JP photos went out to everyone.

We are talking the other ign stories in the past where ign was part of the launch... not as you were this time with JP.

#2232 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

How does the ball comes out of shooter lane?

Shoots off a short jump ramp into u turn ramp that feeds into the habit trail. So the same right side u turn is reachable from the playfield as a wide night shot... and plunger shoots into that same shot.

Presumably you could short plunge for skill shots as well as times shots from right flipper on full plunge

#2886 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Don't forget the fact you can fit a golf ball between the flippers, which they now admit was a mistake that they missed until it was too late. And the outlane rails that are too short. But yes, its a beautiful machine.

Where/when did stern go on record about that?

2 weeks later
#3374 4 years ago

Helped unbox a JP Pro at Ocelot Brewing in Dulles, VA today. First in the DMV area.

Game was built just Aug 10th. No problems out of the box.. we were able to unbox and get it going right away without any fuss.

Game looks like it will be fun to explore... lots of different shots, difficult shots but not brutalizing shots. Not super dependent on multiball.

Things I noticed on this vs other recent sterns I've setup.

It has metal washers under the slingshot star posts... trying to be defensive about the recent clearcoat issues? They also had fatter washers under any of the metal posts with nut bottoms. Plastic posts had no washers.. and some star posts further up the PF also did not have washers under them.

Power plug on back has some sort of hood now.. keep fluids out of the socket?

Looks like there will be lots of strategy on how scores are boosted with this title...

#3391 4 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

And what about SoCal? It’s ridiculous that there is not a single one to play. I wonder if people are not updating the map on purpose so they can play without interruption. Someone speak up, I’m tired of waiting.

It is just the first week really.. only people getting games so far have been people tightly tied into the Stern-operator loop for first dibs at games.

They will come.. patience

#3423 4 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

Ruh row raggy
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

The JP we unboxed last week had metal washers under those posts from the factory.. game built Aug 10

#3439 4 years ago

Photo proof...E93CC99E-76F7-4F68-BFDC-3957F0311B5A (resized).jpegE93CC99E-76F7-4F68-BFDC-3957F0311B5A (resized).jpeg

Done at the slings... but not the plastic posts or Star posts further up the PF

#3544 4 years ago

The flippers were weak on our local JP. Lifted the hood...

All three cool stops were like this...
BE63333A-2982-43A0-A5B5-7BD0351A494A (resized).jpegBE63333A-2982-43A0-A5B5-7BD0351A494A (resized).jpeg

Less than one week of play... 36k flips by the audits. Game build date aug 10

This plus the weak engineering on the flipper post have made it tough to keep this game earning :/

#3552 4 years ago
Quoted from u2sean:

Wow, that's really premature. We've had issues with a good number of the newer Stern coil stops that fail just like this, but not yet on JP. Now I'll have to go check the audits! Did you find any "gold dust" falling down into the bottom of the cabinet? That's usually the tell tale sign they're breaking up and will start binding soon.

They weren't wearing... literally the plug just separated from the bracket. Looks like the plug was not properly riveted in place... no significant mark on the back where they are normally pressed

#3553 4 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

The one I played on location the first day it was unboxed flipped well. A week later I went back and the flippers were in bad shape. I have never seen a Stern’s flippers deteriorate so much in just one week.

Ask them to check.. super easy to see... as the stop is clearly missing when you look at the bracket even when installed. (The stop slides into the plunger sleeve)

#3561 4 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Well it’s only two reported cases so far, so maybe we should put the brakes on flippergate for now.

Stern's self-destructing coil stops is a long running problem. This is just an example of how bad it's gotten where the parts aren't just wearing poorly, they are completely defective.

They have a parts supply issue.. and they haven't really addressed it.

#3578 4 years ago
Quoted from PoppyCock:

Just buy an le or premium and you'll be fine, pros are a real crap shoot! Test model.

If this were new ideas... maybe.. but Stern has been using the same coilstop design since the 90s... and is not unique to these builds. So..

pic1187187 (resized).jpgpic1187187 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 10,899.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 49.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
London, ON
$ 35.00
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
JURASSIC PARK PRO Pre-order!
The Pinball Place

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 17.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

Machine - For Sale
Wood Dale, IL
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Aldie, VA
$ 78.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flynnibus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/next-cornerstone-stern-game-will-be-summer-release?tu=flynnibus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.