OogGVgR (resized).jpg
eaa413c52c22d45c0ffa37f716f5da41 (resized).png
14B1FB8C-079D-4E0D-9068-C7F93D5B4542.gif
DAF0E307-0638-4179-AC1C-5309A60252E3.gif
grow-huge-buds (resized).jpg
legal-marijuana-in-michigan-looks-promising (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
JP-grass (resized).jpg
Jurassic-Park-LE-Flyer.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3,615 posts in this topic. You are on page 54 of 73.
#2651 4 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

I think Spooky should’ve hired Elwin. A great playfield designer is the only thing they are lacking IMO. Stern’s bullpen is so stacked it’s not even fair.

KME is exactly where he needs to be. Stern was in desperate need of some fresh playfield designs and ideas which they now have. Spooky has Scott Danesi and JJP has Eric Meunier who have have their own innovative ideas that are moving pinball forward. The future of pinball is bright!

#2652 4 years ago

I think Spooky should’ve hired Elwin. A great playfield designer is the only thing they are lacking IMO. Stern’s bullpen is so stacked it’s not even fair.

Three years ago at SFGE 2016 I was chatting with Charlie in his booth and told him to take a close look at Archer and hire Keith. Funny how a few months later Stern hires him. Wonder if Bowen is willing / able to design a playfield layout for Spooky?

#2653 4 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

my overall feeling remain more than positive
but right now i'm thinking to those who were complaining about the fact that (in GB) we're always starting/seeing WHO BROUGHT THE DOG ?

You can start any other ladder, and every other ladder is actually faster to complete. Most people are just lazy and start the "easy" one. That is why is is four rungs instead of three or two, like the others.

#2654 4 years ago

I disagree with 99% of stantman's post, but I do agree there were a lot of bricked shots and ramp rejects in that video. Could be a combination of factors, pitch, player unfamiliarity with layout, etc., but as an average player on my best day it does worry me a little.

Still planning on a Premium, but hopefully one or more of the local pin locations will get a Pro soon and I can put some games on it to get a real feel for the shots.

#2656 4 years ago
Quoted from pin2d:

Best animations from Stern ever, and it isn't close.

Best pinball animations ever not even close

#2657 4 years ago

I hear Etsy sells it

#2658 4 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

my overall feeling remain more than positive
but right now i'm thinking to those who were complaining about the fact that (in GB) we're always starting/seeing WHO BROUGHT THE DOG ?
i understand that playing JP is as following a story, with a quite close script, in which you can change/jump right or left (when moving to the next level) to get some variety, but i'm not sure... really have to play this more than a lot & see what happends (or not) to me personaly

I suspect you will be able to advance to other (further paddocks, with better rewards) before deciding to activate the mode. So for example you could advance the MAP shots, taking a bit more time, then tackle one of the more difficult paddocks as your first mode. But I could be completely wrong, just my impression.

#2659 4 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

Yeah not going to lie when I heard that they weren't going to use movie clips I was disappointed, but after watching the stream I really do love them. It reminds me more of the video games and it honestly lends itself to a new experience instead of just rehashing the story line of the movie.

#2660 4 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

BKSOR animations seem like they were better than JP based on the video (have obviously not viewed it in person).

Shots look very interesting though, much more interesting than BSOR to me (pro for sure).

Playfield art seems a little cluttered and the style isn't my favorite.

I was never a buyer for this machine so it really didn't sway me either way but I can't wait to play it on location.

#2661 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Three years ago at SFGE 2016 I was chatting with Charlie in his booth and told him to take a close look at Archer and hire Keith. Funny how a few months later Stern hires him. Wonder if Bowen is willing / able to design a playfield layout for Spooky?

I remember hearing a podcast (not sure which one) about Elwin's hiring. He's a California guy & was really reluctant to take the job because he didn't want to relocate to Chicago. Stern really had to twist his arm. Looks like everyone is happy now.

#2662 4 years ago

I have ordered JP2. I’m excited to get it but the animation could have been better. It reminded me of Contra

#2663 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Best animations in pinball still go to JJP / J.P for Dialed In

OMG You must be kidding show the same image and pan to the right pan to the left add space ships add steam geysers

#2664 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

My take away from the comments is that you guys won't mind if I spend my money on this game?

Hold on now mister! There is not enough banter yet for our opinion of the game to be given to us quite yet. Lets slow down and allow everyone time to chime in and give our opinions to us before you go do something crazy like form your own.

#2665 4 years ago
Quoted from Green-Machine:

I have ordered JP2. I’m excited to get it but the animation could have been better. It reminded me of Contra

I’m super excited too. The only animation that really bothered me was when you start rescuing people and they are standing on a rendering of the playfield.

I don’t think it’s particularly pretty, but mostly don’t like that it’s the only animation I saw that took you away from the world they are trying to put the player in.

#2666 4 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Sorry, but this game beats WW in every category and it’s not even close, although they both shoot well. Especially price! JJP equivalent to Stern LE is their CE. Both set at maximum of 500 units. WW sells for a whopping $3,500.00 more than a Stern LE, which is more loaded than WW. The big toy of WW, the gobbstopper, doesn’t even touch the ball, it just spins around. The big toy of JP is a fully animatronic T-Rex that follows the ball, eats the ball, spits the ball out, lays the ball down in a lane or throws the ball randomly onto the playfield. Awesome ball interaction, which is what pinball is all about. Gobbstopper spins and never touches the ball. Is that spinning toy worth more at WW $7,500 to $12,500.00 price tag, instead of JP’s $5,500 to $9,000 with actual ball interactive toys: of our hard earned money???
(Only JJP fan boys will down vote the truth, lol.)

I'm a huge JJP fan and agree with you completely. JP2 crushes Wonka in every way.

#2667 4 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

My daughter got me this shirt for Christmas

arms too short to play pinball?
natural selection appears to work.

#2668 4 years ago
Quoted from jdoz2:

I’m super excited too. The only animation that really bothered me was when you start rescuing people and they are standing on a rendering of the playfield.
I don’t think it’s particularly pretty, but mostly don’t like that it’s the only animation I saw that took you away from the world they are trying to put the player in.

Yeah, at first that seemed pretty weird to me, but then I realized it's a great way to convey to new players where they should be shooting. Definitely a pretty clever idea.

#2669 4 years ago

Sooooo good, I am perfectly fine with the new adventure concept and minimal movie references. I am in on a Premium

#2670 4 years ago

Said I wasn't going to buy another LE, but then this all happened!

I'm absolutely stoked about this one!

#2671 4 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

OMG You must be kidding show the same image and pan to the right pan to the left add space ships add steam geysers

I actually agree with you. Love DI, but the screen animations don't really wow me. Could have done a lot more with that giant screen.

#2672 4 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

I suspect you will be able to advance to other (further paddocks, with better rewards) before deciding to activate the mode. So for example you could advance the MAP shots, taking a bit more time, then tackle one of the more difficult paddocks as your first mode. But I could be completely wrong, just my impression.

The GB linear "bitching" came to my mind as well as I watched them start at the bottom of the map and move up. I don't know how they would "advance" up the map without playing the lower paddocks, based on Keith's description of left/right path progression.

Honestly though, I really couldn't follow the rules very well from just watching the stream (all of it on both games). Keith said he didn't want to give anything away, but I'm not sure that there is a whole lot to give away yet. Code looked pretty basic, but the layout and total number of shots/combos that could be made looked really good. 4 possible ramp shots + loops is pretty innovative.

I'm sure code will improve, and with so many shots, hopefully the depth comes. I just couldn't figure out why they were doing what they were doing without more dialog. Bottom line is I'm much more interested in this than IMDN. Can't wait to try it.

#2673 4 years ago
Quoted from sethi_i:

The GB linear "bitching" came to my mind as well as I watched them start at the bottom of the map and move up. I don't know how they would "advance" up the map without playing the lower paddocks, based on Keith's description of left/right path progression.
Honestly though, I really couldn't follow the rules very well from just watching the stream (all of it on both games). Keith said he didn't want to give anything away, but I'm not sure that there is a whole lot to give away yet. Code looked pretty basic, but the layout and total number of shots/combos that could be made looked really good. 4 possible ramp shots + loops is pretty innovative.
I'm sure code will improve, and with so many shots, hopefully the depth comes. I just couldn't figure out why they were doing what they were doing without more dialog. Bottom line is I'm much more interested in this than IMDN. Can't wait to try it.

Are control room modes separate from the paddocks, or are they one in the same? My guess of how it worked assumed they were the same... keep progressing map shots, then when you get to the paddock of preference hit the control room shot to activate. I got this impression after reading the TWIP deep dive, but could be wrong.

#2674 4 years ago
Quoted from mystman12:

Yeah, at first that seemed pretty weird to me, but then I realized it's a great way to convey to new players where they should be shooting. Definitely a pretty clever idea.

Good point

#2675 4 years ago
Quoted from jacksparrow0112:

Congrats Keith and Stern on delivering such an amazing title! My wife and I are just getting into the obsession that is pinball and last night's stream was the first one we ever watched. It was very well done Jack. We are realistically 1-2 years away from purchasing our first pin for the home, but I am pretty sure this will be the one we go with. I am a lifelong JP fan, and have 2 young boys who love the movies as well. Our entire family was crowded around the TV last night watching the stream, laughing out loud at some of the amazing humor (extra ball animation is our favorite) and just getting excited to one day own this as our first pin. Luckily the arcade 2 miles down the road already posted that they have a pro version ordered. That should hold me over for a while! Anyway, happy to see so much love for this game on Pinside and hope the flipping experience lives up to how fun this looks.

Love these posts. Welcome aboard. Wait til you get that first one in your house and you can just “keep pressing start” as we like to say!

P.S.
Man, the dichotomy between a post like this one I quoted and the perpetual JJP/STERN stuff...

#2676 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I mentioned that the spinner sounds just like the penguin spinner (which I actually liked) however I noticed as they were playing that same spinner shot changes sounds from the penguin to true dino...FYI

If you listen very closely, it is the sounds of the Dilophosaurus that killed Nedry. It is the sound when he tries to have the dinosaur fetch a stick. Then it keeps following him and eventually he meets his demise.

#2677 4 years ago
Quoted from jdoz2:

The world is also pinball so works for me but get what you are saying. I also think the animations where you are rescuing people could be better. I first thought the Jeep was running over them. Too bad you also don't see the dinosaurs eating people when you don't save them. Guess that would be too gruesome lol.

#2678 4 years ago

Hoping someone here can help explain the rules around crew rescues. During the stream I seem to recall something about flashing lights on the play field and the speed at which they move or blink varies depending on the danger posed by the dinosaur (herbivore vs. carnivore). Every time they started a crew rescue mission/mode (relatively new to this hobby so still picking up lingo) the animation looked like augmented reality showing the crew member and dinosaur (usually a Spinosaurus I think) standing on the right side of the playfield. How does this all work? Apologies if I missed this but it seemed to be the one part of the game I couldn't grasp while watching the stream. Thanks in advance!

#2679 4 years ago

The game is just right on so many levels!
For a house with kids, and guests ts an instant hit with theme, sound, and playfield/art.

I think of my choices...I really felt I was done looking at new games.

This game appears to be a repetitive start button press....I want to play more over and over.
For me, Im stoked. Its been quite a number of years to be this excited.

Interesting to get this gut feeling after 52 years of playing.

#2680 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballonthemark:

If you listen very closely, it is the sounds of the Dilophosaurus that killed Nedry. It is the sound when he tries to have the dinosaur fetch a stick. Then it keeps following him and eventually he meets his demise.

This is exactly what I thought. I like the sound they used for the Dilophosaurus spinner because it is true to the film. The only other sound I can recall that dino making is the aggressive roar before it spits at Nedry in the Jeep. That could work too I guess, but I prefer how it is today.

#2681 4 years ago

I hope the American Pinball team watched that stream to see what can be done with the LCD. Stern is really taking the animations to the next level (pinball-wise anyways).

Awesome stuff!

#2682 4 years ago
Quoted from jdoz2:

I mean they could've shown a zoomed map near a paddock that showed a group of people needing rescuing, but I think the "augmented reality" of characters on PF's will also resonate with those coming into the hobby from PinballFX/Zen/whatever as that's incredibly common in those games.

#2683 4 years ago

I've only watched about 5min of the stream so far and already have this on my wish list.

#2684 4 years ago

This game reminds me of Alice Cooper and Houdini. Incredible games held back by shots that are just toooo tight. Big difference between KME hitting the Smart Missile shot and me bricking it. I'm going to have to play it before I can comment.

#2685 4 years ago

I think Spooky should’ve hired Elwin.

Quoted from kermit24:

Three years ago at SFGE 2016 I was chatting with Charlie in his booth and told him to take a close look at Archer and hire Keith.

im glad keith is designing pinball machines for stern. he benefits from working alongside a staff of experienced designers, engineers, and programmers he would not have found elsewhere; economies of scale for his designs, and a marketing dept headed by zach sharpe. stern provides him the opportunity to sell more than 500 of his games every 18 months.

#2686 4 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

This game reminds me of Alice Cooper and Houdini. Incredible games held back by shots that are just toooo tight. Big difference between KME hitting the Smart Missile shot and me bricking it. I'm going to have to play it before I can comment.

I just took delivery of a ACNC. I admit I was worried that the game wouldn't be fun because of the tight shots. So far, I'm loving it and don't find it that difficult. I actually find making shots much easier than I do on my IMDN. I have no problem ripping combos. If the game didn't have some form of difficulty, it would be Way to easy and get stale fast.

#2687 4 years ago

any mods know why my thread title is edited (not by me)

just noticed the info about the stream removed but I did not do it. Found it odd.

#2688 4 years ago

This game really looks good. Tons of shots, lots of toys, a unique approach to the license, etc. Looks to be a real winner.

Now I'll let some of you get back to JJP vs Stern. Someone please PM with who finally wins as I cant really stand to read the same people spewing the same crap over and over again.

#2689 4 years ago

Seen Dead flip Stern JP.
Best Stern game EVER.

Best theme 2019.
best playfield layout 2019.
Best megs (captureball and t-rex).
Best sound effects 2019.
Best animations 2019.
I you want to thumbs down i don't give a fuck.

#2690 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

just noticed the info about the stream removed but I did not do it. Found it odd.

I saw that at lunch time and went back and tried to find it. I was like am I on the wrong thread?

#2691 4 years ago
Quoted from jacksparrow0112:

Hoping someone here can help explain the rules around crew rescues. During the stream I seem to recall something about flashing lights on the play field and the speed at which they move or blink varies depending on the danger posed by the dinosaur (herbivore vs. carnivore). Every time they started a crew rescue mission/mode (relatively new to this hobby so still picking up lingo) the animation looked like augmented reality showing the crew member and dinosaur (usually a Spinosaurus I think) standing on the right side of the playfield. How does this all work? Apologies if I missed this but it seemed to be the one part of the game I couldn't grasp while watching the stream. Thanks in advance!

From what I could tell from the stream, each dinosaur "mission" has an increasing amount of people to rescue (orange shots). The dinosaur (a slow roving green shot) moves around the playfield. If an orange rescue shot is not made in time, the dinosaur reaches a person on the island (a rescue shot) and mode/mission ends. I believe the countdown voice was time left to make the rescue before dinosaur wins. It also seems like certain breeds of dinosaurs have the power to move more quickly around the playfield, and some can't be stunned. Completing a mode/mission provides unique scoring opportunities throughout the rest of the game (not just the ball) such as more scoring on pop, easier in-lane rules, etc.

#2692 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Robin!?!?

#2693 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Maybe they are sick of you changing it every 20 minutes?

I get that you want to have a monopoly on all "next stern game" threads from now on but it is a little much. If you truly love your thread, set it free.

#2694 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Maybe they are sick of you changing it every 20 minutes?

Seriously.

#2695 4 years ago

Welcome to JP2 “Chamaeleon Thread”

#2696 4 years ago

With all the praise on the animations I watched some of the video again. I like that they have a lot of animations I am just not sure they are great. Based on what I saw I do not believe they are better than BKSOR.

#2697 4 years ago
Quoted from deibert:

From what I could tell from the stream, each dinosaur "mission" has an increasing amount of people to rescue (orange shots). The dinosaur (a slow roving green shot) moves around the playfield. If an orange rescue shot is not made in time, the dinosaur reaches a person on the island (a rescue shot) and mode/mission ends. I believe the countdown voice was time left to make the rescue before dinosaur wins. It also seems like certain breeds of dinosaurs have the power to move more quickly around the playfield, and some can't be stunned. Completing a mode/mission provides unique scoring opportunities throughout the rest of the game (not just the ball) such as more scoring on pop, easier in-lane rules, etc.

Great! Thanks for clearing this up for me. That seems to match what they were doing in the stream.

#2698 4 years ago

When some random kid at the mall is hanging over the glass while you play

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#2699 4 years ago
E08FC1CA-69F6-463C-8C5D-764EDEF7B14C.gifE08FC1CA-69F6-463C-8C5D-764EDEF7B14C.gif
#2700 4 years ago

I'd like to buy a JP2 LE, but need a sugar daddy to make that dream come true. I'd settle for a JP2 premium, pending flesh on plastic testing. I'm not ruling out JP2 pro either, especially if Dino is caught mouthing balls when all I want him to do is spit them out. All models of JP pinball are stone-cold winners!! and everyone planning to buy one is smart!!

dino1.gifdino1.gif
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 51.45
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

10,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Manalapan, FL
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 35.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Aldie, VA
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
PWM Designs

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

There are 3,615 posts in this topic. You are on page 54 of 73.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/next-cornerstone-stern-game-will-be-summer-release/page/54?hl=ercvacation and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.