• Split Second 0 votes
  • Iron Maiden 3 votes
    10%
  • Viper 1 vote
    3%

(30 votes)

This poll has been closed.

#1 4 years ago

Vote above for the next stern mpu200 game to be disassembled and commented.... I plan on teaching other people how to do this, because as I roll through all of the games that I own, the incentive to do it for games I do not own is honestly, very low.

The one I personally lean towards is Orbitor 1, for a couple of reasons; first, it was the very first successful hack I'd done (eliminate the timed game) - I started fooling around with Meteor in 2004 but I was hopelessly in over my head, and O1 I did in 2008 (but just a small hack... not a full disassembly). I didn't really grab the rest of the gist until 2011/2012.

The second reason is that my entire development directory structure's root is named "o1hack" - because that's what I started with, and I'm very much a creature of habit so I never changed it (there's subdirectories under it of course for all the other projects.....)

I plan on posting examples of code sporadically explaining what each does, at least to my understanding. This is only the way I happen to do this; other people surely have better/different toolchains, but I use what I'm used to.

#2 4 years ago

Voted Cheetah because I own one, but a tweaking a game like Viper that gets poor reviews could be a good place to start too!

Wish I had your talents to do this sort of stuff.

#3 4 years ago

I own a Galaxy, so I voted for that!

#4 4 years ago

I will leave the poll up until the end of January so get your votes in. Will it be Galaxy or Seawitch or some come from behind victory???

#5 4 years ago

Which ever game needs the most attention for some software massaging!

#6 4 years ago

Galaxy, no known bugs but it could use some new rules so it's not so easy to roll

#7 4 years ago

Bump for the final voting days.

Looks like I'll be prepping for Galaxy at this point! As a bonus it'll end up being both the 6 digit stock version and the Oliver 7 digit mod with some gameplay mods if that ends up winning!

#8 4 years ago

So, even though the voting resulted in a tie for Seawitch and Galaxy, since there were 2 messages for Galaxy and none for Seawitch, Galaxy will be first up. Not to say that Seawitch isn't going to get the treatment as well, just not next

4 months later
#9 3 years ago

Preliminary work completed on other games:

Seawitch
Cheetah
Lightning
Orbitor 1
Split Second
Nine Ball
Flight 2000

Speech roms for all speech games have been disassembled and commented (except for phoneme data, which can be a bit of a mystery, but the data is at least mapped out to all of the words the roms say)

In progress:
Ali
Quicksilver (in progress)

By Preliminary work, I mean that the codebase is in a re-compilable as stock form. It does not mean that everything is documented and commented as to what it does (which can take hundreds of hours of time). But, small modifications can now be made to all those games. (Or large, in the case of flight 2k)

So these games join the following in the "stern disassembly project" started about 8 years ago on RGP. The below listed are all games where they can recompile, not necessarily 100% documented:

Stars
Lectronamo
Trident
Dracula/Wild Fyre (same romset)
Hot Hand
Meteor
Galaxy
Big Game
Dragonfist
Star Gazer (needs sound engine label work)

Still to be tackled (mpu200 games):

Free Fall
Iron Maiden
Cue
Lazerlord
Viper

#10 3 years ago

Also Catacomb and Viper some prelim work, but early stages.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 3.00
$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 199.95
$ 125.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/next-classic-stern-mpu200-game-to-be-disassembled?hl=canadianpinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.