(Topic ID: 173264)

Next Chicago Gaming Game Didn't Debut This Weekend!

By HighProtein

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 200 posts
  • 89 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by slcorrado
  • Topic is favorited by 14 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20161129_183831 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0903 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3246 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9197 (resized).PNG
    image (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 200 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
    #151 7 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

Hardly unique to pps, the only company that gets stuff out timely is Stern and that comes at the expense of QC and code apparently. Pinball is harder than the Mars mission.

Even stern has been slow for them ..8-9 months for gb premiums to start getting in the hands of people. I lost interest and cancelled mine and got a afm instead. Probably the best pin move ive made yet.... absolutely love it .

#152 7 years ago
    Quoted from sevenrites:

Once again PPS fails to deliver anything in a timely manner.

How did they fail ?

They never said they'd announce their next game there.

And they don't want to announce it until they are close to starting production.

LTG : )

#153 7 years ago

Better to delay reveal then delay after reveal....

#154 7 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

Hardly unique to pps, the only company that gets stuff out timely is Stern

Stern is late on everything this year.. They've only had one new original title this year (GB). Pabst is contractor, spiderman is vault, Batman 66 is a kapow (re-imagined batman dark knight). They typically put out 2-3 new titles per year. Dirty Donny was actually worried his book would be out after Aerosmith, the exact opposite happened.

#155 7 years ago
    Quoted from pintechev:

I found this part of your post fascinating. To many, it's not rehashed, it's a fun game that isn't made anymore. It's nostalgia and the ability to own a classic title that has stood the test of time. But you're free to your opinions and I am not trying to negate them.
    I love new titles and innovation as much as the next guy, but every time I come back to my MM, I'm reminded that a great layout with great rules is an innovation in itself. Just my .02

Hobbyists need to realize that these products aren't necessarily for us die-hard types. They're for people who don't follow the hobby, don't buy used games, don't fix their own games, don't know or care what used games are selling for...they're for people who want something new in a box. Namco has been making new Pac-Man cabinets forever, and they sell for like $3k...can you go find a used original Pac-Man for $300? Sure! Does Dr. Joe Schmoe M.D. buying cool things for his man cave care about hunting down an old Pac-Man? No! He's gonna contact a gameroom store and buy a new one.

Shit, a few weeks ago, a guy I work with said "Hey, I'm getting a Galaga delivered to my office today! Come check it out when it gets here!". I'm sure he paid $2k or so for this game. When I go to look at it, it's a Berzerk style cabinet painted black, no side art, with an LCD monitor and a cheap Chinese 60-in-1 board. Not original, massively overpriced to my hobbyist brain.....but this guy is happy as a clam. That's why remakes will sell and it doesn't matter if the prices piss "us" off.

#156 7 years ago

still don't understand why Chicago Gaming don't atleast announce the machine; they don't need to take anyone's money until they are ready but we know its close.

#157 7 years ago
    Quoted from NeilMcRae:

still don't understand why Chicago Gaming don't atleast announce the machine; they don't need to take anyone's money until they are ready but we know its close.

They probably learned their lesson after the MMR announcement.

Delay after delay after delay.

#158 7 years ago
    Quoted from NeilMcRae:

reference my post above...

#159 7 years ago

Didn't Rick say after what happened with MMr that the game wouldn't be announced until ready to ship?

#160 7 years ago

Yes

#161 7 years ago

There is a rumor as to why AFMr isn't announced... I won't post the rumor here; because, I don't have first hand knowledge.
    But let's just say the problem isn't a technical or supply chain issue. The blame is greed.

#162 7 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

But let's just say the problem isn't a technical or supply chain issue. The blame is greed.

you might as well post it if you are going that far

#163 7 years ago

I have decided not to wait for pps anymore. I'm now actively looking for an AFM. If anyone has one for sale, let me know.

#164 7 years ago

At the very least, I can confirm that there is parts of what looks like AFM code in the latest MMr update:

strings emumm |grep afm
    afm.c
    afm_switch_matrix
    afm_lamp_matrix
    afm_saucer
    afm_switch_system
    afm_solenoid_map
    afm_led

So it looks like they are working on it, whether it's what they announce next is anybodies guess.

#165 7 years ago

Announce and release are two totally different things. If they announce it tomorrow it will probably be another 2 years before I could get one. I'm done waiting.

#166 7 years ago
    Quoted from Okarcades:

Announce and release are two totally different things. If they announce it tomorrow it will probably be another 2 years before I could get one. I'm done waiting.

They keep saying that the reason they're not announcing it is cuz they don't want another MMr waiting game. So, when they announce it, that means you can order one - it won't be 2 yrs (unless they don't announce it for 2 yrs).

#167 7 years ago

Close also to buying an AFM as wish they would just come out and tell us prices and feature differences between Standard AFMR and the LE....

#168 7 years ago

Gang, not nearly as well-played as all of you, so relying on forum comments that say AFM gameplay = MM.

If so, why remake AFM? I bought MMR, would have no interest in AFM if similar, and would think it's a big risk for CGC to dip into the same-ish well twice/consecutively.

Monster Bash, on the other hand...despite no space, 3 kids queuing for college, never having played, and love of my life leaving me...I would buy.

Rick/anybody, on an unrelated note...will/can there ever be an expansion pack for Arcade Legends?

#169 7 years ago
    Quoted from slcorrado:

Gang, not nearly as well-played as all of you, so relying on forum comments that say AFM gameplay = MM.
    If so, why remake AFM? I bought MMR, would have no interest in AFM if similar, and would think it's a big risk for CGC to dip into the same-ish well twice/consecutively.

It's a top rated game. Newbs who want new games don't know or care if this game is similar to that game. Someone might want aliens instead of castles. Simple as that.

#170 7 years ago
    Quoted from slcorrado:

If so, why remake AFM?

AFM is a little more fun than MM.

They are both 5 star games for sure.

I have both games side by side, and AFM always gets more plays than MM at any household party.

YMWV

#171 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

want aliens instead of castles.

Me. I also like the 5000 dollars less that AFM was requiring than MM prior to the release of MMR, and the what...3000 less than it does now?

#172 7 years ago

TBH; I'd be interested in a original AFM project... but they are too rich for my blood right now.
    I want one to go next to the RFM... which wouldn't work because there's a wall there.
    I thinking of buying some hill country land for cheap so I can build an arcade out there. :S

#173 7 years ago
    Quoted from teekee:

Don't wait for the remake. It will be a good long time before you have it in your hands no matter what they tell you. Buy an original. Its the only way to go.

Give up already.

#174 7 years ago

I found an original! Sorry pps but I couldn't wait any longer.

1 week later
    #175 7 years ago

Hot off the press
    Chicago Gaming is building/assembling remake #2 in their own building and not at Stern.

#176 7 years ago
    Quoted from Join_The_Cirqus:

Hot off the press
    Chicago Gaming is building/assembling remake #2 in their own building and not at Stern.

Oh good, they'll finish dozens of machines in a single year.

#177 7 years ago

"
    We would likely be taking 'pre-orders' as the game will be shipping reasonably soon after the announcement. The game will be built at Chicago Gaming which has the benefit of not having alot of issues in terms of finding parts and scheduling the line (which the Stern execs have been great, but the combination of two companies trying to manage parts shortages and issues has been a challenge) - so the upside should be a more consistent 'up-time' to producing games. The downside is that CGC's line will inherently be running slower per day ... but given the starts and stops on the MMR line thru the past year, it could actually be a positive, we will see.

The game is going thru final tinkering, and it went into UL testing awhile ago, but with so many things going on here, I've not checked on the status - it's alot easier this time, as CGC knows the 'pinball' UL process, as well as there are many components that are the same or similar, etc. I should be getting a pre-production game here in Reno shortly, as well as I know they are looking to put a couple out on test."

#178 7 years ago

Just got the info from a friend

#179 7 years ago

So glad I decided not to wait around and started aggressively looking for old Attack From Mars. Got this thing for a steal! I called an operator over and over and finally closed the deal!

20161129_183831 (resized).jpg20161129_183831 (resized).jpg

#180 7 years ago

We would likely be taking 'pre-orders' as the game will be shipping reasonably soon after the announcement.

Pre-orders without a deposit. Now there's a new way of doing business.

#181 7 years ago
    Quoted from lordloss:

they'll finish dozens of machines in a single year.

I believe you'll find they are set up for a good production schedule.

#182 7 years ago
    Quoted from NeilMcRae:

CGC is slow as molasses in releasing new stuff, I call their sales girl asking her about AL3 updates at least twice a year, and while she is nice, she doesn't give off a vibe that she really has a handle on the front lines of what they have going there.

Quoted from slcorrado:

Monster Bash, on the other hand...despite no space, 3 kids queuing for college, never having played, and love of my life leaving me...I would buy.
    Rick/anybody, on an unrelated note...will/can there ever be an expansion pack for Arcade Legends?

There is an Expansion pack with the midway and capcom games, but beyond that, nothing...It will never have Ms Pac or Galaga because it would cut into the sales of the other arcade cab that they make, the Ms Pac/Galaga combos. I asked her if they might do a Neo Geo expansion, and she said it's possible, but again, nothing pressing...It has to do with licensing issues, and I really don't think they have more than like 5 people working at that place, so probably tough for them to secure tons of licensing deals with no one working the phones. It's a shame, AL3 could be a beast of a machine if they had Namco, Nintendo, Sega, and SNK licenses on there.

#183 7 years ago

Hot off the press

"
    We would likely be taking 'pre-orders' as the game will be shipping reasonably soon after the announcement. The game will be built at Chicago Gaming which has the benefit of not having alot of issues in terms of finding parts and scheduling the line (which the Stern execs have been great, but the combination of two companies trying to manage parts shortages and issues has been a challenge) - so the upside should be a more consistent 'up-time' to producing games. The downside is that CGC's line will inherently be running slower per day ... but given the starts and stops on the MMR line thru the past year, it could actually be a positive, we will see.
    The game is going thru final tinkering, and it went into UL testing awhile ago, but with so many things going on here, I've not checked on the status - it's alot easier this time, as CGC knows the 'pinball' UL process, as well as there are many components that are the same or similar, etc. I should be getting a pre-production game here in Reno shortly, as well as I know they are looking to put a couple out on test."

This reminds me of a recent exchange in another thread.

Quoted from Deep_Throat:

PPS/CGC and Stern are having issues and Stern is not willing to continue the remake manufacturing. There were many factors that contributed to this but with Stern having their own issues as well they decided it was time for PPS/CGC to find there own facility. There wilsl be a long delay as PPS/CGC are still in talks with Stern to continue with remake # 2 which is AFM. PPS/CGC will have to figure out who will build the next and all future remakes. It will be a long process but you will probably not hear it from anyone at Stern or PPS/CGC. They agreed to keep it quiet so they can make the AFMR announcment hopefully before the end of this year and start taking preorders and they do not want this news to hurt the pre ordering process. Be prepared for a long wait. And be prepared for a denial regarding this news. This comes from a source close to Stern.

Quoted from PPS:

Totally not true, so your 'inside information' is not ... Stern is available to do whatever runs of whatever games make sense ... trust me, PPS have a great relationship with the principals of Stern and there is none of that going on ... jeesh everyone thinks they know what is going on ...
    rick

#184 7 years ago

I call bullcrap... prove me wrong... announce #2 and start shipping at Spooky manufacturing line frequency and I'll consider the CCG/PPS partnership a real company / player. Right now; they are a one-and-done company not worthy of further discussion.

#185 7 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

Right now; they are a one-and-done company not worthy of further discussion.

What's the "con" then? Is Rick pretending to acquire licenses and pretending to produce games? Is planetary pretending to be a company and not actually selling games and other parts? Logically speaking, can you explain how they are not a "real" company and also what they have to gain by pretending to produce a second game?

#186 7 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

What's the "con" then? Is Rick pretending to acquire licenses and pretending to produce games? Is planetary pretending to be a company and not actually selling games and other parts? Logically speaking, can you explain how they are not a "real" company and also what they have to gain by pretending to produce a second game?

Stop that. We live in a fact free world now. Logic...feh.

#187 7 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

I call bullcrap... prove me wrong... announce #2 and start shipping at Spooky manufacturing line frequency and I'll consider the CCG/PPS partnership a real company / player. Right now; they are a one-and-done company not worthy of further discussion.

Says the guy who threw thousands at an unheard of laser cutter company that has proven nothing. I'm glad to see you are asking for a refund instead of getting taken by Glowforge's ridiculousness.

#188 7 years ago

The difference... Sir.. Is that I got a significant discount... I got in on the ground floor for apparently no risk.
    Did ccg customers get the same benefits... Yeah, didn't think so. Thanks for your 0.02

#189 7 years ago

I just mean don't be so harsh about their status as a company.

#190 7 years ago

Why would they pretend to make a 2nd game? The internet...lol

#191 7 years ago

I didn't claim they didn't make a second game... But if it makes you happy to think so... Go right on and believe that.

#192 7 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

I call bullcrap... prove me wrong... announce #2 and start shipping

Quoted from Zitt:

I didn't claim they didn't make a second game.

#193 7 years ago

<Sigh> Edit: NM-be nice.

Announce and Ship != Make a second game.

I have little doubt that Refake#2 is at some level of completeness. Maybe there is a few protos. I really don't know.
    What I'm saying is I'm not sure Refake#2 will ever be available for sale. It's been too long ... several years have passed. I don't believe they have any intention (now) to announce or ship Refake#2.

Hopefully; that is clear... and you some how won't twist this into something it's not.

#194 7 years ago

I thought it was more or less common knowledge that it was AFM?

#195 7 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

What I'm saying is I'm not sure Refake#2 will ever be available for sale.

Quoted from Zitt:

I didn't claim they didn't make a second game

<sigh?>SO, they are making a 2nd game but they are never going to sell it!!!? I'm not trying to argue or "twist" your words but....huh?

I'm honestly trying to figure out what you mean. They are developing a game but won't get it together to produce it? Like it's a homebrew project or what? Just seems like a lot of there there to not have a game they will sell...what's their angle? Or do you have an angle? I know we're in a post-facts era now but what are the facts you're basing this on?

#196 7 years ago

My view is that why not sell as many MMRs as possible and ramp up parts accumulation of parts for game 2 before announcing?

#197 7 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

What I'm saying is I'm not sure Refake#2 will ever be available for sale. It's been too long ... several years have passed. I don't believe they have any intention (now) to announce or ship Refake#2.
    Hopefully; that is clear... and you some how won't twist this into something it's not.

What's to twist? You're just making things up with no facts to back up your claim.

#198 7 years ago

Zitt is just a generally negative guy. I frame everything he says in that context.

#199 7 years ago

When it happens, there will be more pinball machines. That's it. No conspiracy. Nothing complicated. If you like it when it's announced you should consider buying one. If not, don't.

All of this fuss and negativity doesn't make a lot of sense to me—oh well.

Marc

#200 7 years ago

Please God, not AFM...put me down as #1 if MB!

There are 200 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/next-chicago-gaming-game-debuts-this-weekend/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.