• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

th-1-669.jpeg
IMG_3383.JPG
battle.jpg
There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

Any news on a Tron code update? It's been a little over a year now since V1.74 was released.

#2 10 years ago

Its complete and bug free. Enjoy!

edit----Id much rather they get an Avengers update done.

#4 10 years ago

No thanks!
The game is damn near perfect as is.

Stern should be (and is) devoting resources to current / future product.
Not out of production A-list pins.

#5 10 years ago

Add Daft Punk multiball to the pro owners, the LE owners got their bonus for long enough.

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from bemmett:

Add Daft Punk multiball to the pro owners, the LE owners got their bonus for long enough.

Good luck with that...

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from bemmett:

Oh man! Pinside would be like this!

battle.jpgbattle.jpg

#8 10 years ago

I just want a different song than the "disc war" chant. I know I can change it with the browser, but I haven't done it yet.

#9 10 years ago

Tron can't yet fetch me a soda and massage my feet, so clearly the code has a long way to do before it's "perfect."

But I would say it's totally acceptable right now. In fact, as just a game, it's excellent.

#10 10 years ago

Why do you feel that Tron needs an update?

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from Quiddity:

Why do you feel that Tron needs an update?

I thought I summed it up pretty well?

Quoted from goatdan:

Tron can't yet fetch me a soda and massage my feet, so clearly the code has a long way to do before it's "perfect."

#12 10 years ago

Question: I am still a newbie and when I bought Tron Pro NIB last August, it was a third run that came with v. 1.74.

Did you guys have lots of problems with the code prior to that version and if so, did you have to wait as long as I have seen some of you guys wait for a good version for Metallica?

#13 10 years ago

don't laugh...

i've got original first run LE code still on my NIB. didn't upgrade yet `cause I wanted to wait until it needed something extra (besides another mod). Then have a nice long time to enjoy those new updates, since another version of code is next to never going to happen. just spreading out the new joys across a longer timeline

probably going to upgrade very soon and use latest pinbrowser to overhaul audio experience. sa-weet !
will be like a whole new pin without dropping another $x,xxx.xx

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from retired_user_101:

don't laugh...
i've got original first run LE code still on my NIB. didn't upgrade yet `cause I wanted to wait until it needed something extra (besides another mod). Then have a nice long time to enjoy those new updates, since another version of code is next to never going to happen. just spreading out the new joys across a longer timeline
probably going to upgrade very soon and use latest pinbrowser to overhaul audio experience. sa-weet !
will be like a whole new pin without dropping another $x,xxx.xx

That's pretty brilliant if true. Mayve I should roll back Metallica to pre 1.5 code after TPF.

#15 10 years ago

TRON has been done for awhile now guys

#16 10 years ago

Agreed, would very much like to see an Avengers code update!! That game could really be so much more ....

#17 10 years ago

Tron is my newest game, and I agree! This puppy is done as far as Im concerned, please focus resources on making Avengers, Xmen, Metallica, & Star Trek at least in the neighborhood of how complete Tron feels.

#18 10 years ago

Actually there is one rule change that I've been thinking about for a while now. See the picture below, think it's pretty self explanatory. If you've played 1,000 games on Tron and made it to Portal twice I'm sure you understand where I'm coming from. Tron is one friggin' tough game (but it's awesome)!

I think Centerflank has that Tron crybaby subforum around here somewhere, maybe I'll see if I can find where it is and sign myself up

IMG_3383.JPGIMG_3383.JPG

#19 10 years ago

mine also says... "fully activate Gem + Advance to Portal"

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from retired_user_101:

mine also says... "fully activate Gem + Advance to Portal"

Fully activate Gem - no doubt it should also say that!

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from bemmett:

It's not that great man, tron is just fine for everyone as it is. Let's put this one to bed now

#22 10 years ago

Anyone else notice the female computer voice callouts for super spinner, pops, and double scoring aren't present on the pro?

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

Anyone else notice the female computer voice callouts for super spinner, pops, and double scoring aren't present on the pro?

That is true. Had a Pro for a year and didn't hear those callouts, owned an LE for a few months now and definitely notice them. Honestly don't know why something like this wasn't included on the Pro, it's a pretty small thing but it is helpful when you hear them to know what's going on (especially the double scoring).

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from NittanyPins:

Any news on a Tron code update? It's been a little over a year now since V1.74 was released.

Pardon me for going with the "groupthink" here, but Tron as it sits is just wonderful. I was happy two versions ago. It was good. 1.74 was just polishing it for a long cruise. Nothing left but to play the snot out of it. The minor things an update would provide just don't justify the effort.

Don't get me wrong though, if a certain programmer had it in his head to bestow another update on us, I'd toss it into my game in a heartbeat. But really I am thrilled with the code on my Tron.

#25 10 years ago

Late to the thread did someone say activate Gem?

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from Buckman:

That is true. Had a Pro for a year and didn't hear those callouts, owned an LE for a few months now and definitely notice them. Honestly don't know why something like this wasn't included on the Pro, it's a pretty small thing but it is helpful when you hear them to know what's going on (especially the double scoring).

Are the voice clips actually in the rom and just not called on, or are the completely absent int the pro code? I might poke thru on pinball browser...

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

Are the voice clips actually in the rom and just not called on, or are the completely absent int the pro code? I might poke thru on pinball browser...

Good question. I haven't played around with the pinball browser myself so I'm not sure, but it definitely might be worth a look to find out.

#28 10 years ago

I don't think we will see any more code updates for Tron. Its quite complete

JJ

#29 10 years ago

Lyman has said there's more to add. I remember something about a laundry list.

Actually, the last update was pretty underwhelming. Some scoop award graphics and a Disc Multiball tweak was about all, wasn't it?

#30 10 years ago

Dirty Pool would be cool- not sure if that is a Williams term that cannot be recycled?
Even without the terminalogy, it would be cool if u were still awarded something for it

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from bemmett:

Or Stern could decide to just go ahead and do a run of premiums.

Quoted from centerflank:

Oh man! Pinside would be like this!

th-1-669.jpegth-1-669.jpeg

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from boogies:

not sure if that is a Williams term that cannot be recycled?

Doubt it.

If you remember, Ripley's Believe it or Not was like a "greatest hits" of Williams quotes/references.

"It's not plugged in yet, mon." all the way to Bigfoot stuff, rolling Indiana Jones boulders, "Right Back at you" quote from Funhouse, references to Twilight Zone, and so on.

If Williams terms couldn't be recycled, then RBioN would have been the end of Stern.

Pete

#33 10 years ago

Hit Portal on location last night, only second time ever on a route game. Code is done as done can be.

#34 10 years ago

"Update? We don't need no stinking update!"

1 week later
#35 10 years ago

I was wondering about this because I have been noticing a few times when I am playing, all of a sudden as the ball is in play, the flippers lock and no longer respond, and the game thinks the ball is gone-- even though its still on the playfield...

It seemed like this is software, but I guess it could also be the trough switches being flakey or something.

-patrick

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from patrick99e99:

I was wondering about this because I have been noticing a few times when I am playing, all of a sudden as the ball is in play, the flippers lock and no longer respond, and the game thinks the ball is gone-- even though its still on the playfield...
It seemed like this is software, but I guess it could also be the trough switches being flakey or something.
-patrick

not software. You need to disconnect and reconnect the trough connectors a few times. They naturally oxidise over time and need cleaning.mine does this every month or so as does a few other recent sterns.

#37 10 years ago

The ONLY thing I'd like to see added is a GEM ball saver. I've done everything possible to minimize GEM drains (various tweaks, nudging, etc.), but they still happen 10-20%. This is a trivial change, but I'm not holding my breath.

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

The ONLY thing I'd like to see added is a GEM ball saver. I've done everything possible to minimize GEM drains (various tweaks, nudging, etc.), but they still happen 10-20%. This is a trivial change, but I'm not holding my breath.

I hear this sometimes from other owners and I can tell you I rarely (like 1% of the time) get a drain from the gem shot.
It must be placement of the rubber posts or something with yours and the other games. The shot through the bumpers almost never drains, even short shots that make it past the spinner and slide down. Perhaps a setup issue that can be resolved. No doubt pitch might also come into play as a factor.

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

I hear this sometimes from other owners and I can tell you I rarely (like 1% of the time) get a drain from the gem shot.
It must be placement of the rubber posts or something with yours and the other games. The shot through the bumpers almost never drains, even short shots that make it past the spinner and slide down. Perhaps a setup issue that can be resolved. No doubt pitch might also come into play as a factor.

It does vary game to game. Some tables never do it. Mine does it once in a while (hate it), but that shot is a narrow window. It has to go in clean and deflect in the bad spot to shoot SDTM. Irritating when it does because I made the shot, but.... Ok, yes, I want a ball saver. In single ball play, if I hit the gem switch and the next switch is the trough, give it back. Just like Demolition Man on that left saucer... If the next switch is the left outlane he says "I hate it when that happens" and gives you another ball.

So I guess I do want an update. But I'm fine if I don't get it, because Tron is great the way it is.

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Just like Demolition Man on that left saucer... If the next switch is the left outlane he says "I hate it when that happens" and gives you another ball.

REALLY?!? 0_o Is that an option in the menus? I swear to god, I've had this happen several times on my friend's DM and it's NEVER given the ball back, ever!

#41 10 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

As I said, I've done a fair amount of work to try and solve the problem (based on various threads on the topic).

Mine was from the last run…would be interesting to see if the issue stems from when they were built. No doubt the placement of the ball guide is critical and might be drilled slightly off on some runs of the PF.

No longer a huge problem…just annoying considering a simply software tweak would correct the problem for everyone.

#42 10 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

REALLY?!? 0_o Is that an option in the menus? I swear to god, I've had this happen several times on my friend's DM and it's NEVER given the ball back, ever!

Frax,

I just had a look at my DM. I'm running version H-6 (The HOME ROM). I've been on it for a bit, and playing it a lot, so did one of those "that's the way it always works" things. I'm not sure when it was added to the code. But yes, really. In the saucer after the retina scan, if it drops into the outlane the game gives you another and kicks it out of the shooter lane. That alone is probably worth the upgrade. I also did a quick run through the option lists and didn't see it, so it is just the code version I'm running.

#43 10 years ago

Talked with Lyman at MPE and he said he probably will do an update someday. This means when he gets time. No ETA. At least you can take comfort in knowing that there is a programmer out there that is passionate about his work and will revisit a title that is no longer being made. That guy takes pride in what he does. Great guy!

#44 10 years ago

That's great news. He took care of spidey long after it left production on his own time. My tron isn't going anywhere so what a great day that will be when an even more polished code update drops.
Thanks for asking him!

#45 10 years ago

Maybe the Special inserts in the outlanes will work again.

#46 10 years ago
Quoted from dgoett:

That's great news. He took care of spidey long after it left production on his own time. My tron isn't going anywhere so what a great day that will be when an even more polished code update drops.
Thanks for asking him!

He really didn't say anything specific, but I mentioned how people want another Tron update and he said that he wanted to do one. He has some opinions on the WPC v2 games that Rick has mentioned and other games like WOZ, but I will let him speak for himself if he wishes to share them with everyone. All I can say is that programmers like him are few and far between, so don't take him for granted and never expect anything. I, myself go through the same at work where expectations start to escape reality (I am also a programmer). Be happy if he puts out one further update.

I think Stern would be doing better (reputation wise) if all of their programmers shared a similar passion.

#47 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Maybe the Special inserts in the outlanes will work again.

You made me remember one of the big things he said was that he can't stand to leave bugs in games and he feels as if he didn't do his job if he left one that he knew about. So, as long as he is aware of the bug and it is truly a bug, then is am sure he will fix it. He did say (regarding WPC game updates) fixing the bugs in TOTAN (and other games) will be a good thing as it may then be used in tournaments (I was unaware of bugs in TOTAN). He had other feelings on new rules and physical changes to the games.

#48 10 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

You made me remember one of the big things he said was that he can't stand to leave bugs in games and he feels as if he didn't do his job if he left one that he knew about. So, as long as he is aware of the bug and it is truly a bug, then is am sure he will fix it.

My understanding is that the Special inserts did once light in the first code rev, but then they stopped in an update and there's no way to light them since. Anyone who knows differently please correct me.

#49 10 years ago
Quoted from Buckman:

I think Centerflank has that Tron crybaby subforum around here somewhere, maybe I'll see if I can find where it is and sign myself up

Nah, the crybaby sub forum was mine. LOL

#50 10 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Hit Portal on location last night, only second time ever on a route game. Code is done as done can be.

Nice! Was it at the movie theater you had the tournament at last fall? Those machines were so well maintained that they are technically on "rout" but they are in HUO condition with everything working and playing fast as can be.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Trade
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/news-on-tron-code-update and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.