View topic image gallery

slow blow fuse (resized).jpg
IMG_3375 (resized).JPG
GottSys1-MPU-BatteryCorrosion (resized).jpg
IMG_9600 (resized).JPG
IMG_9599 (resized).JPG
new old toy (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

My first post and new to owning a pin. I'm clueless here, but am quite a handy DIY around house & cars. My new '78 Gottleib Joker Poker SS worked perfectly for 2 weeks then while playing the 3rd ball the the flippers stopped working, and the ball will not load back to the plunger.

I went from hero to zero in the eyes of my 7 & 8 year old sons. I gotta get this back up. Through reading, I purchased a can of DeoxIT D5 and so far have only cleaned the power supply contacts.

Fuses look ok
Machine is all original
All the scoring lights work...in back everything works except the game won't start
Before the flippers stopped working...it would require a quarter to start the game upon power-up...but only then
If anyone can give me the top few things to check..that would be great
Finally, the seller is a great guy who offered a 90-day guarantee. He's already offered to dispatch a tech to my house at his expense but I don't like wasting money; even other people's money. I'd really like to learn and try my hand at fixing it.
I plan to take in hours of reading/you tube vid/and of course this site. But for now I'm looking for the most likely items to check. I'm desperate! LOL
Chas in Bloomington IL

new old toy (resized).jpgnew old toy (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

You say "fuses look ok".... did you pull and test them? Never eyeball a fuse.

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

You say "fuses look ok".... did you pull and test them? Never eyeball a fuse.

wow! that was a fast reply! Ok..I will test them...thanks for the advise. I did order a "kit" of 9 fuses for this game. They are not yet here...but I have a few spares. I will check the fuses once I learn how. Told you I am clueless!

#4 6 years ago

Welcome to Pinside!! You may also want to check the fuse under the play field. Lots of folks don't know it is there. If you have a multi-meter of any kind, set it to 'continuity' to check fuses. Pull the fuse completely out of the game and put the leads at each end. If you get a continuous beep, the fuse is good. If there is no sound, the fuse is blown.

IMG_9599 (resized).JPGIMG_9599 (resized).JPG

IMG_9600 (resized).JPGIMG_9600 (resized).JPG

#5 6 years ago

OK thank you I will post results later today fwiw... played this game in college and these last two weeks have been the first time I've played it again in 40 years. I'm telling u...I got emotional. My father passed while in college in '80. To play again with my sons...(gulp...)

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from glengarrygr:

My first post and new to owning a pin. I'm clueless here, but am quite a handy DIY around house & ; cars. I'm desperate! LOL
Chas in Bloomington IL

Get ready to learn some new tricks Pinball is a little bit different than cars.

Unless your experience with houses involves carpentry you can forget your house repair skills, as well.

And....if you start getting serious about this pinball stuff get ready to go buy some new tools because most tools you have to work on your car won't work too well on a pin.

#7 6 years ago

I believe i had same issue with my Sinbad. I reseated the game rom, didnt pull it out completely, just lifted it a bit.

#8 6 years ago

Great advice about pins being different that cars/homes...I'll acquire tools over time after I get schooled up. Mr. Hankey; I will try reseating the game rom once I research where to find it. Thanks!

#9 6 years ago

Welcome to "Our thing"Sorry to hear this story!! As a older Pinhead,I would suggest you take the offer of having a tech look at your Pin!!You can ask questions about your pin,and maybe gain some insight to its operation! He may see something else that should be addressed!Gain all the knowledge you can get at this early stage! Routine cleaning,as I see kids with Candy?Sticky fingers make sticky Flippers! What kind of rubber bumpers are you using?? The standard Black ones will be making garbage on your PF! Get some Titan Flipper Bands!How long has that ball been there??Go to any site and get a few better Balls!Lots to know,and lots to find out the hard way!! Have fun,and don't be shy to ask questions!! Joker Poker is a excellent first choice!Remember what we all say,You can't just have one !!!

#10 6 years ago

I agree with the above. Looking over someone's shoulder would be a good thing... and folks usually enjoy fielding questions.

Have the tech come over and pay attention

#11 6 years ago

Please turn your game off and unplug it while checking fuses. The service outlet is live even with the game off so don't let the kids or the cat in there.

Let the tech come over and show you the basics.

#12 6 years ago

Geez guys! Talk about a warm welcome to the community from my first post! Excellent advise about a tech to learn the basics! I will do that. THANK YOU for taking the time to guide me!

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from glengarrygr:

Great advice about pins being different that cars/homes...I'll acquire tools over time after I get schooled up. Mr. Hankey; I will try reseating the game rom once I research where to find it. Thanks!

Top left chip on the mpu, be carefull to not pull it entirely. Because the pins will bend easily.

GottSys1-MPU-BatteryCorrosion (resized).jpgGottSys1-MPU-BatteryCorrosion (resized).jpg

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Please turn your game off and unplug it while checking fuses. The service outlet is live even with the game off so don't let the kids or the cat in there.

Don't ignore this advice!

#15 6 years ago

Unless you like that kind of thing.

IMG_3375 (resized).JPGIMG_3375 (resized).JPG

#16 6 years ago

Ah-ha! I found 1 fuse blown. I can see it is blown but I tested them all using the meter (after unplugging power from wall) and I have a dead fuse. I'll replace and if it blows again I have a short. See below culprit:

slow blow fuse (resized).jpgslow blow fuse (resized).jpg

#17 6 years ago

You should have spotted that earlier with the big "blown" and the big arrow pointing at it.

I will go away now.

#18 6 years ago

Good to hear you are hero status again. Cool story w/the nostalgia factor of the game for you. I was in your shoes as a newbie once, but you will learn as you go along. The internet has a lot of good repair info and this site has been invaluable for me. It feels good to get one up and running again.

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from Travish:

You should have spotted that earlier with the big "blown" and the big arrow pointing at it.
I will go away now.

Yeah..I should have. Gottlieb was really thinking back in '78. Imagine the insight to know to write blown below the fuse holder set..pointing to the blown fuse.

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from glengarrygr:

but I tested them all using the meter

Just to be clear, did you pull them out and check with a meter ?

LTG : )

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from pinkid:

Good to hear you are hero status again. Cool story w/the nostalgia factor of the game for you. I was in your shoes as a newbie once, but you will learn as you go along. The internet has a lot of good repair info and this site has been invaluable for me. It feels good to get one up and running again.

Exactly! Great feeling to fix it. But I will ID a professional and come look the game over and make suggestions. It is mostly original with a few key upgrades like battery (so it won't seep) and some other items on the power board.

Someone said.."you won't get one"...tomorrow I'm driving 2 hours to pick up a Williams "Hot Tip" for $1,000.

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Just to be clear, did you pull them out and check with a meter ?
LTG : )

I did...I pulled each one and set the multimeter to Ohms...and was able to ID one dead fuse. I checked them all. Great advice. I've spend about 3 hours reading this site today. Addicted.

#23 6 years ago

Yep, 2 weeks and 2 machines. Your right on schedule.

#24 6 years ago

When checking fuses, set your meter to continuity. Leads to either end of the fuse. If you get a tone, fuse is good. No tone, fuse is bad.

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

When checking fuses, set your meter to continuity. Leads to either end of the fuse. If you get a tone, fuse is good. No tone, fuse is bad.

you're a little late, but you get a thumbs up for trying to help.

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

you're a little late, but you get a thumbs up for trying to help.

Funny. I was the first person to respond.

Point is: he didn't need to set his meter to ohms. Just set it to continuity and get an audible check when going over fuses.

Just giving some advice for the future.

#27 6 years ago

i'm by no means a repair expert, but in general, if a fuse blows, doesn't that mean something caused it to blow? shouldn't he make sure there isn't a short or a solenoid stuck on?

#28 6 years ago

If it blows the same fuse again, I'd start looking for problems. Until then, enjoy it. Sometimes fuses blow. I agree w/ having a tech check her out. I had a guy help me get mine going at my house years ago and I watched and asked a lot of questions. I learned things. I never knew how to solder until I learned working on my pins. Sounds like you've got pinball fever................there is no cure.

#29 6 years ago

Measuring the resistance of a fuse in ohms mode is a better test than listening for the beep in continuity mode. Meters set to continuity mode can still beep when measuring up to 120 ohms resistance!

The resistance reading you get in low ohms mode across a fuse (removed from the fuse holder) should be the same as when you touch both meter probes together - i.e. zero ohms.

I had a classic Stern with displays not working and the high voltage fuse measured 4 ohms resistance (having become fatigued). Upon replacing the fuse the displays came up. Relying on the beep in continuity mode would have indicated the fuse was still good when it wasn't..

#30 6 years ago

UPDATE: Solved! While I did find a fuse blown, the game did the same thing (lost flippers) and the fuse that I had replaced was ok. So something else was the culprit. I used the DetoxIT D5 to clean the contacts of the CPU & Power board. Works fine! Note: I could not find a tech in my relatively remote area in central IL. I'll have to ID how to find a tech.

My friend (an electrician) came over out of pure curiosity and assistance. He noted that occasionally he heard a hum coming from under the play field...under the right lower triangle bumper. It was coming from a capacitor...one of the green chiclet looking things. But it would stop and hum every 1 minute or so...and only for a few seconds. He said maybe that caused the blown fuse. Look at me...talking pin talk! I have a lot to learn and wanted to thank everyone for all the help. Tonight we played troubled free Joker Poker for an hour. Very happy.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/newfish-needs-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.