Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Hot Tip brunette (resized).JPG
Hot Tip blonde (resized).JPG
Hot Tip Back Glass (resized).jpg
Hot Tip Playfield (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

Which of you guys said this hobby is addictive? I saw a CL ad only 2 hours from me for a 77 or 78 Williams Hot Tip. Great shape...this company's first SS. I like most the horse race chime box at start...and my lord look at the art work! I thought Wilma & Betty were hot! Anyway...I promised my wife this is it! LOL

Hot Tip Playfield (resized).jpgHot Tip Playfield (resized).jpg
Hot Tip Back Glass (resized).jpgHot Tip Back Glass (resized).jpg
Hot Tip blonde (resized).JPGHot Tip blonde (resized).JPG
Hot Tip brunette (resized).JPGHot Tip brunette (resized).JPG

#2 6 years ago

It would be beneficial to learn more about the machines you are buying and how they work before potentially becoming overwhelmed, if technical work is required. Although pinball is addicting, it can be a worse feeling when when an individual realizes they cannot fix the games they own.

I share these words of experience from helping others and watching it happen.
As quickly as a person can get into the hobby, they sometimes move on once frustration occurs.

https://pinside.com/pinball/community/pinsiders/xtheblackknightx/stories/the-progression-of-a-pinball-addict-a-historical-perspective

#3 6 years ago

Great game! I had one for a time. That spinner is prime ripping material. Have fun!

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from glengarrygr:

Anyway...I promised my wife this is it! LOL

You shouldn't fib to your wife like that. Ha ha.
On the next machine just sneak it in the garage/basement and when she sees it just say "that... I have had that a long time"

I see a broken plastic. That would bug the piss out of me.

#5 6 years ago

You are doing fine. Those chicks are hot. If you like the game and can afford it, go for it. Even if it needs work and sits awhile, you still have it. You'll learn as you go. Welcome to the addiction...........it never goes away.........

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from Travish:

You shouldn't fib to your wife like that. Ha ha.
On the next machine just sneak it in the garage/basement and when she sees it just say "that... I have had that a long time"
I see a broken plastic. That would bug the piss out of me.

Yep...saw that; included in the sale is a complete set of new plastic! This morning before work I knocked out all of the rust from the legs with a rust remover...chrome shined when I was finished.

#7 6 years ago

Thanks for the perspective Blacknight. I can see how the that can happen. I don't think I'll go thru those stages though. Not at my age. I was after two MFGs from my college period and happened to land them within the same month. And I am good with two pins as I have two young sons. That was my goal. Maintaining these or fixing them will be a fun challenge. Plus I can always hire a pro if I'm over my head. Nonetheless, I will take note of the potential slippery slope and heed the warning!

#8 6 years ago

That's one of the first signs of addiction. Waking up and working on something before going to work.

The next is working on something before bed and realizing it's 3am and you are still working on it.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from Travish:

That's one of the first signs of addiction. Waking up and working on something before going to work.
The next is working on something before bed and realizing it's 3am and you are still working on it.

Holly Cow Travish! You are right! I woke up at 5:30am and spent an hour cleaning up the Hot Tip pin! After dinner tonight I asked my sons "anyone want to challenge Dad at Joker Poker!". I'm certain we could squeeze in "just one game" before we watched the 3rd movie in the "Ice Age" series... : o

#10 6 years ago

I guess there are worse addictions....

#11 6 years ago

Congrats, man! That Hot Tip is a really nice example. If you can actually manage to keep your collection at 2 pins, God bless ya.

There's also tons of great techs here on pinside, so if you ever run into trouble don't hesitate to start a thread in the tech forums here. You may also want to see if there are any clubs for the games you own. Lots of useful info in those threads (and a proper love-fest for these games of ours!)

Good luck with the games, and once again: congrats!!

#12 6 years ago

Congrats. Hot Tip is a fun EM. Just a heads up, EM addiction is usually the most powerful and ( the cheapest) in all of pinball, enjoy, you chose the right era of machines that and early SS

#13 6 years ago

frunch, thanks for the advice! I'm always amazed at how others are willing to help out a stranger. I can find people willing to help even with something as ubiquitous as my Ram Truck on forums. More members so you get a lot of advice. This forum is lower in member numbers but of course a much greater level of expertise. I'm enjoying reading posts... I do plan to hire a pro technician as advised by others here. A few months ago - my sons and I built two of those plastic car engine models (V8 & Flat 6) so I could teach the basics of an internal combustion engine to them. Lately, they have been helping me clean inside & out of these 2 pins. They are also learning basics of electricity now; something I never took the time to grasp myself. Never to old to learn! Biggest challenge? Prolly like most of y'all - picking my fights....(Cub Scouts, cars, motorcycles, guitars, skeet & trap, piano, and now pinball!). Oh...and the grass is getting tall! Life is good.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

1,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Washington, KY
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/newfish-gets-2nd-pin-in-1-week?hl=mbaumle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.