(Topic ID: 162477)

Newer Stern Machines - Questionable Quality

By Walleyefisher

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

duck_(resized).jpg
    1266981337_75896739_1-Pictures-of-WILL-PAY-YOU-CASH-FOR-YOUR-WRECKED-OR-NOT-RUNNING-CAR-206-659-6069_(resized).jpg
    depositphotos_5322326-Women-in-stereo-glasses-eating-popcorn._(resized).jpg
    61RlHg7hkRL._SX327_BO1,204,203,200__(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).png
    image_(resized).jpg
    Beavis-and-Butt-Head-Eating-Popcorn-Watching-MTV.gif
    g1dt-before_(resized).jpg
    There are 78 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 7 years ago

Many of the newer stern machines I've played locally that are out for public use are pretty much wrecked. There is a local bar that has Metallica, Walking Dead, Avengers, Iron Man and Pirates and of the 5 machines only Iron Man is playable.

Metallica - broken pieces of plastic laying on the play field. Ball cant even drain without shaking the machine to get ball over plastic
    Walking Dead - Out of order sign on it
    Avengers - Ball get stuck under the hulk and left bumper broken
    Pirates - broke plastics

These games are all Stern and all not that old. I know the the Metallica and Walking dead were setup brand new this last winter so they might be 6mos or so old. Obviously no one is taking care of them but I remember Williams machines in bowling alleys that would go years without maintenance and still be functional, albeit not perfect. Just seems the newer machines are built like everything else these days, cheap!

#2 7 years ago

I see you are new here.
    The things you are mentioning are operator error more than anything. If you don't want broken plastics then put protectors on the darn games. It has been that way forever it seems with all manufacturers.

#3 7 years ago

(Contents removed by Mod team)

#4 7 years ago

Yes, i agree. Operator error. They need to be maintained out in the wild. They're played everyday and all night. The operator shows up once a month. That doesnt work.

#5 7 years ago

How did the man's skin color or level of filth have anything to do with him bending the shooter rod? Are you saying because he was black he was automatically more prone to being dirty and abusing pinball machines?

If so, that is an ignorant, racist opinion and I think less of you for believing it.

#6 7 years ago

Zzzzzz....drain

#7 7 years ago

This is no different than games from any other era.

#8 7 years ago

Waste of bandwidth

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

f so, that is an ignorant, racist opinion and I think less if you for believing it.

You should live in East Oakland for a while,if you live that long!

#10 7 years ago

Totally agree, the operator sucks. The fact that they have 4 out of 5 down is pretty rough.

The only issue I have with that is that there is no way to know how many games are being played on those games. Some games get a remarkable amount of play. A good OP will at least play a test game to see if it runs or not.

#11 7 years ago

Mods: Respectfully requesting you close this thread ASAP. It's only going to end bad and we have plenty of threads already regarding the current topic.

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from Walleyefisher:

I remember Williams machines in bowling alleys that would go years without maintenance and still be functional

Never happened.

#13 7 years ago

I remember Williams machines in bowling alleys that would go years without maintenance and still be functional

Quoted from vid1900:

Never happened.

Hell they can't even go years in my basement without maintenance....and I really don't play them that much, few times a week (if that).

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

How did the man's skin color or level of filth have anything to do with him bending the shooter rod? Are you saying because he was black he was automatically more prone to being dirty and abusing pinball machines?
    If so, that is an ignorant, racist opinion and I think less if you for believing it.

He also mentioned his age and sex. So I suppose the poster is ageist and sexist as well? Probably gonna start getting really tough to describe someone in the near future.....

#16 7 years ago

Stern's definitely building these pins cheaper. The single drop target ledge on Game of Thrones that holds the "gate" drop target is paper thin plastic now. The one my buddy has shattered in the first month he had it on route. I've literally never seen that part break on another pin - ever. It just holds the target up when the target is reset. Sterns from even two years ago had decent parts for this task. Now, they don't.

It's crazy that the quality keeps going down when the cost keeps going up. If Stern is pushing out 55 pins on average like that video says, they're doing between $5-$8 million a month at least, or $60-$96 million a year. They need to cool their jets on the corner-cutting - they've cut corners no one cares enough about to stop buying and are now cutting things that make a big negative difference - like playfield quality, for one, that WILL cause collectors to stop buying in a NIB lottery for decent playfields.

#18 7 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

The single drop target ledge on Game of Thrones that holds the "gate" drop target is paper thin plastic now. The one my buddy has shattered in the first month he had it on route. I've literally never seen that part break on another pin - ever.

OMG, I've never seen a drop target break either.

I hope Stern gives your buddy his money back.

g1dt-before_(resized).jpgg1dt-before_(resized).jpg

#19 7 years ago

Always buy Japanese cars.

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Stern's definitely building these pins cheaper. The single drop target ledge on Game of Thrones that holds the "gate" drop target is paper thin plastic now. The one my buddy has shattered in the first month he had it on route. I've literally never seen that part break on another pin - ever. It just holds the target up when the target is reset. Sterns from even two years ago had decent parts for this task. Now, they don't.

Have you considered that perhaps this change had nothing to do with cost cutting? I mean do you really think they sit around in meetings and decided to spend cost to retool and reengineer a $0.75 part to a 0.25 part so that on a run of 1000 games they can save $500?

Perhaps this was something they tried out to help with the many issues people have had with the old style drop targets where when you hit them hard they don't drop. Have you ever considered that? Inconceivable right?

#21 7 years ago

Come to the 403 club, pizza west, or Knub's Pub. They have games that are well taken care of

#22 7 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

It's crazy that the quality keeps going down when the cost keeps going up. If Stern is pushing out 55 pins on average like that video says, they're doing between $5-$8 million a month at least, or $60-$96 million a year. They need to cool their jets on the corner-cutting - they've cut corners no one cares enough about to stop buying and are now cutting things that make a big negative difference - like playfield quality, for one, that WILL cause collectors to stop buying in a NIB lottery for decent playfields.

Once again, I'm going to tell the tale of how my WOZ went up in smoke a few hours after it arrived.
    JJP made everything right in the end so no harm done but the point it:
    Since you seem to be enjoying yours, it's ridiculous to whine about JJP cutting corners and making cheap pins like you have with Stern, huh?

FYI: I've never had a Stern go up in smoke.

#23 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

OMG, I've never seen a drop target break either.
    I hope Stern gives your buddy his money back.

Hilarious.

I clearly wasn't talking about the drop target itself. Broken drop targets are a common problem due to constant ball impact. The ledge under the playfield that holds the drop target up when it resets is what I've NEVER seen break - ever. The GoT one was obliterated in less than a month - literally blown to pieces, and it's a part that never has ball contact, just the target surface sliding over it. Once I put the pieces back together, it was totally clear why it broke. It's a paper thin piece of plastic. In fact, after this incident, Stern made a memo to have engineering look into replacing it with a heavier piece for future runs, so it wasn't my imagination - it was a crappy part.

#24 7 years ago
    Quoted from Chambahz:

Once again, I'm going to tell the tale of how my WOZ went up in smoke a few hours after it arrived.
    JJP made everything right in the end so no harm done but the point it:
    Since you seem to be enjoying yours, it's ridiculous to whine about JJP cutting corners and making cheap pins like you have with Stern, huh?
    FYI: I've never had a Stern go up in smoke.

The difference you don't seem to grasp is one is bad engineering/cost cutting, and the other (yours) is just bad luck. Stern admitted the part was not up to the job and made a memo to look into making beefier ones for future runs. This is like a 5 cent part, so they saved maybe a penny by making it thinner. Stupid.

#25 7 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Have you considered that perhaps this change had nothing to do with cost cutting? I mean do you really think they sit around in meetings and decided to spend cost to retool and reengineer a $0.75 part to a 0.25 part so that on a run of 1000 games they can save $500?
    Perhaps this was something they tried out to help with the many issues people have had with the old style drop targets where when you hit them hard they don't drop. Have you ever considered that? Inconceivable right?

Given that the ledge width at the top was about the same as before, seems extremely apologist and unlikely. I actually made a heavier duty part that was slightly wider for my buddy and it seems to work even better and has no chance of breaking from a drop target sliding on it.

#26 7 years ago

I wish They would put red flipper shoes on all Sterns !

This is Pinball baby !

#27 7 years ago

Nobody cares about what you think, (Edited by Pinside staff).

#28 7 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

After re-location of the power toggle switch, I don't know what to believe...

#29 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinbum:

Nobody cares about what you think, (Edited by Pinside staff).

Perhaps this is just a bad joke!?

#30 7 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Hilarious.
    I clearly wasn't talking about the drop target itself. Broken drop targets are a common problem due to constant ball impact. The ledge under the playfield that holds the drop target up when it resets is what I've NEVER seen break - ever. The GoT one was obliterated in less than a month - literally blown to pieces, and it's a part that never has ball contact, just the target surface sliding over it. Once I put the pieces back together, it was totally clear why it broke. It's a paper thin piece of plastic. In fact, after this incident, Stern made a memo to have engineering look into replacing it with a heavier piece for future runs, so it wasn't my imagination - it was a crappy part.

OK, so we have one known instance of it breaking. Call me when it becomes a common issue. Until it does, it's bad luck and a fluke.

#31 7 years ago

Beavis-and-Butt-Head-Eating-Popcorn-Watching-MTV.gifBeavis-and-Butt-Head-Eating-Popcorn-Watching-MTV.gif

#32 7 years ago

Lee Summit you say, hmmmn. I know a guy who knows a guy who operates out there. Doesn't get out to service machines all that much. Got a couple good deals on machines as a result. Don't think Stern is cheapening their product.

I own a few machines and can tell you, everyone cut corners.

I'm proud of anyone who can keep making machines in Chicago, IL, USA.

Blame Entropy...

#33 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:Never happened.

Come on man I remember those darn 8 ball deluxe games running for eternity and man did they get beat up. Anyways, I'm at -23 from this post so I must be doing something right.

#34 7 years ago
    Quoted from davjoszie:

Come to the 403 club, pizza west, or Knub's Pub. They have games that are well taken care of

The location is Long-Bell Pizza if you want to see for yourself. Ya I frequent knubs and pizza west and Erik does a fantastic job maintaining them. I would think someone that maintains a lot of machines could shed light on frequency of repairs on old machine vs new.

#35 7 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

OK, so we have one known instance of it breaking. Call me when it becomes a common issue. Until it does, it's bad luck and a fluke.

I had a rest ledge that broke on World Poker Tour recently. Not exactly a "newer Stern machine", though.

#36 7 years ago
    Quoted from Goronic:

Perhaps this is just a bad joke!?

No, I'm definitely an idiot.

#37 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I thumbed that up but I disagree.

#38 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Yes your an idiot and should have been ejected from this thread like anybody else for your racist comment against whites. But the double standard cry babies would never do that. And to all you thumbdowners your a bunch of sheep. bahh

#39 7 years ago

I'm sick of cats...!!!............Joey

image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

#40 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinbum:

Yes your an idiot and should have been ejected from this thread like anybody else for your racist comment against whites. But the double standard cry babies would never do that. And to all you thumbdowners your a bunch of sheep. bahh

I am going to provide the most insightful post in this thread.
    "Your an idiot". Is just wrong. The word your is a possessive adjective. There is no ownership of vid1900 and being an idiot. I think what you wanted to say is you're which is a contraction of you are. Next time we may talk about less and fewer!
    Enjoy!

image_(resized).pngimage_(resized).png

#41 7 years ago

OK if the mods are asleep at the wheel then there is only one thing to do...

In before the lock!!

#42 7 years ago

I gotta cat-fish...???.............Joey

image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

#43 7 years ago

I have 2 modern sterns in my collection, and a bunch of wpc dmd games. I've never had a credit dot on my modern sterns or any major repairs, worst was a wire breaking off a coil, now my wpc games are a whole different story. Sometimes they break just turning them on. But they are alot older. So what I'm trying to say is .. .... . who cares machines break and I'm sure my sterns will eventually to. Play pinball have fun and don't blame a company because the games arn't maintained on location.

Since I know everybody love car comparisons
    It's like comparing a car that is taken care of and a rental. Of course the rental will get beat up more and won't last near as long, its not the manufacturers fault.

#44 7 years ago

Straight to racism by the third post, got to be a new record.

#45 7 years ago

5 mins of my life I will never get back.....and to think I could have used that time for something constructive, like stomping ants. Sigh.....

#46 7 years ago

I think posting WTB Ad's on Pinside is extremely beneficially and most certainly works out. You can get more selective with what condition / price / location assuming various people are responding to the ad. I've personally had great success with WTB Ads on Pinside. It really gives you more of an opportunity to obtain what you want. Just recently this past week I had success on posting a WTB Ad on Pinside.

#47 7 years ago

Here's just a simple question...has there ever been anything mechanical, that has never broken at least once, in the life of the machine?

I don't mean just pinball, I mean every mechanical machine ever built.

#48 7 years ago

These games are all Stern and all not that old. I know the the Metallica and Walking dead were setup brand new this last winter so they might be 6mos or so old.

what about playfield wear?.

#49 7 years ago
    Quoted from mrclean:

I think posting WTB Ad's on Pinside is extremely beneficially and most certainly works out. You can get more selective with what condition / price / location assuming various people are responding to the ad. I've personally had great success with WTB Ads on Pinside. It really gives you more of an opportunity to obtain what you want. Just recently this past week I had success on posting a WTB Ad on Pinside.

Wrong thread? hard to tell with all the other weird post lol

#50 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Maybe you should change your handle to "Vidiot"!

There are 78 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/newer-stern-machines-questionable-quality?hl=hassanchop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.