(Topic ID: 162477)

Newer Stern Machines - Questionable Quality

By Walleyefisher

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

duck_(resized).jpg
    1266981337_75896739_1-Pictures-of-WILL-PAY-YOU-CASH-FOR-YOUR-WRECKED-OR-NOT-RUNNING-CAR-206-659-6069_(resized).jpg
    depositphotos_5322326-Women-in-stereo-glasses-eating-popcorn._(resized).jpg
    61RlHg7hkRL._SX327_BO1,204,203,200__(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).png
    image_(resized).jpg
    Beavis-and-Butt-Head-Eating-Popcorn-Watching-MTV.gif
    g1dt-before_(resized).jpg

There are 78 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 7 years ago

Wish I could thumbs up an eject.

#52 7 years ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

Maybe you should change your handle to "Vidiot"!

That's Captain Vidiot to you...

61RlHg7hkRL._SX327_BO1,204,203,200__(resized).jpg61RlHg7hkRL._SX327_BO1,204,203,200__(resized).jpg

#53 7 years ago

depositphotos_5322326-Women-in-stereo-glasses-eating-popcorn._(resized).jpgdepositphotos_5322326-Women-in-stereo-glasses-eating-popcorn._(resized).jpg

#54 7 years ago
    Quoted from Walleyefisher:

Come on man I remember those darn 8 ball deluxe games running for eternity and man did they get beat up. Anyways, I'm at -23 from this post so I must be doing something right.

I remember fixing them for all eternity.

Coil stops would not last a year, let alone the HV section.

The game got beat up because it's one of the best "one more game" games.

-

Why did you stop making your podcasts?

#55 7 years ago
    Quoted from Breaking_Dad:

I gotta cat-fish...???.............Joey

Fish?? All I could see was that gravel

#56 7 years ago

Wow, this went off the rails since I went to bed last night. A permanent thread eject was issued?

#57 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinbum:

your an idiot

Like a clown on fire, that's kind of funny, and kind of sad.

#58 7 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Wow, this went off the rails since I went to bed last night. A permanent thread eject was issued?

Should have been more than one person ejected. IMO

#59 7 years ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

Maybe you should change your handle to "Vidiot"!

I would, except I don't want to be associated with those Bally boards.

#60 7 years ago

Certainly this struck a chord with stern owners/lovers, but mine was an actual question of quality and reliability nothing more. Are they as reliable as older machines? Sounds like the majority feel they are so that answers my question. Lots of additional noise on this thread which definitely made it entertaining.

I'm off to buy a LOTR now

#61 7 years ago

Certainly this struck a chord with stern owners/lovers, but mine was an actual question of quality and reliability nothing more. Are they as reliable as older machines? Sounds like the majority feel they are so that answers my question. Lots of additional noise on this thread which definitely made it entertaining.
    I'm off to buy a LOTR now

Out of curiosity what is the name of the bar with those five machines? I've been to every location in the KC area listed on the Pin Map, and I can't recall that bar, so perhaps it needs added to the Pin Map and I will visit next time I'm in the area.

#62 7 years ago

Are they as reliable as older machines?

I don't know man. I've got an old lawnmower that is very reliable.

#63 7 years ago
    Quoted from kst8cat:

Out of curiosity what is the name of the bar with those five machines? I've been to every location in the KC area listed on the Pin Map, and I can't recall that bar, so perhaps it needs added to the Pin Map and I will visit next time I'm in the area.

http://www.longbellpizzaco.com/#

#64 7 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Have you considered that perhaps this change had nothing to do with cost cutting? I mean do you really think they sit around in meetings and decided to spend cost to retool and reengineer a $0.75 part to a 0.25 part so that on a run of 1000 games they can save $500?
    Perhaps this was something they tried out to help with the many issues people have had with the old style drop targets where when you hit them hard they don't drop. Have you ever considered that? Inconceivable right?

Wait, you actually think that Stern makes their own individual parts themselves? You're kidding right?

#65 7 years ago

Many of the newer stern machines I've played locally that are out for public use are pretty much wrecked. There is a local bar that has Metallica, Walking Dead, Avengers, Iron Man and Pirates and of the 5 machines only Iron Man is playable.
    Metallica - broken pieces of plastic laying on the play field. Ball cant even drain without shaking the machine to get ball over plastic
    Walking Dead - Out of order sign on it
    Avengers - Ball get stuck under the hulk and left bumper broken
    Pirates - broke plastics
    These games are all Stern and all not that old. I know the the Metallica and Walking dead were setup brand new this last winter so they might be 6mos or so old. Obviously no one is taking care of them but I remember Williams machines in bowling alleys that would go years without maintenance and still be functional, albeit not perfect. Just seems the newer machines are built like everything else these days, cheap!

Based on your wise logic, I am going to guess you would also say to never buy a Nissan because of how crappy this one is? Never mind the poor driver and lack of maintenance and skill of properly using the thing, but it must mean Nissan's are royal pieces of crap right?

1266981337_75896739_1-Pictures-of-WILL-PAY-YOU-CASH-FOR-YOUR-WRECKED-OR-NOT-RUNNING-CAR-206-659-6069_(resized).jpg1266981337_75896739_1-Pictures-of-WILL-PAY-YOU-CASH-FOR-YOUR-WRECKED-OR-NOT-RUNNING-CAR-206-659-6069_(resized).jpg

#66 7 years ago
    Quoted from kpg:

Based on your wise logic, I am going to guess you would also say to never buy a Nissan because of how crappy this one is? Never mind the poor driver and lack of maintenance and skill of properly using the thing, but it must mean Nissan's are royal pieces of crap right?

If it walks like a duck...BTW I like how you added a picture to make your point. Solid forum work there.

Two of the machines were like new condition 6 mos ago and every time I've been in there on Friday or Saturday night the machines were seeing next to no business so ya it's a reasonable question. I know it's easier to discount the evidence as biased or the credibility of the source than it is to admit that something you think is great is really a piece of crap. So think whatever you want I only offered as single case study but with 4 out of 5 stern machines in unplayable condition it is a valid question.

Also, my Chevrolet is the best vehicle money can buy. Period
    Trump will be president
    BMW motorcycles are better than Harleys
    Green is better than red

duck_(resized).jpgduck_(resized).jpg

#67 7 years ago

If it walks like a duck...BTW I like how you added a picture to make your point. Solid forum work there.
    Two of the machines were like new condition 6 mos ago and every time I've been in there on Friday or Saturday night the machines were seeing next to no business so ya it's a reasonable question. I know it's easier to discount the evidence as biased or the credibility of the source than it is to admit that something you think is great is really a piece of crap. So think whatever you want I only offered as single case study but with 4 out of 5 stern machines in unplayable condition it is a valid question.
    Trump will be president
    Green is better than red

I'm just trying to figure out what your normal Pinside alias is around here

#68 7 years ago
    Quoted from 0geist0:

Should have been more than one person ejected. IMO

I agree, and ejected myself.

#69 7 years ago

Built by man, used by man, maintained by man= gonna break.

#70 7 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Have you considered that perhaps this change had nothing to do with cost cutting? I mean do you really think they sit around in meetings and decided to spend cost to retool and reengineer a $0.75 part to a 0.25 part so that on a run of 1000 games they can save $500?
    Perhaps this was something they tried out to help with the many issues people have had with the old style drop targets where when you hit them hard they don't drop. Have you ever considered that? Inconceivable right?

Ofcourse they do, wouldnt be an American company if they didnt.

#71 7 years ago

Trump will be president
    Green is better than red

Dude...6 months is an eternity for a game on route. If it's not being properly maintained, it's going to break down. There's a location near me that has a Playboy (Stern), South Park, Monster Bash, Scared Stiff, and Sopranos. All the games go in cycles of good and bad condition, but the Monster Bash and Scared Stiff are BY FAR the most problematic. Now, that might just mean that they're being played more, it's too easy to come to what could be a faulty conclusion.

Unless you're the operator, you have no idea what games are giving you more trouble, but in over 10 years and probably 100 machines owned, I would say that the Sterns seem to hold up the best aside from their awful optos and trough switches.

#72 7 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

Dude...6 months is an eternity for a game on route. If it's not being properly maintained, it's going to break down.

This.

When I first got into pinball I had a really bad impression of sterns because the only ones I could play were on location and not in good shape. I thought it was stern but now know it was the OP.

I operate some pins now and I keep them in very good shape which takes a lot of work. As to what breaks who knows shit just happens you never know what or when and I continue to be surprised. When something breaks though and people keep beating on it things can go south fast.

One 'advantage' that BWs have is that the game has most likely been routed and dialled in already. It would be in a landfill if that had not happened by now.

Any new game has to get dialled in and you will find things on location fast that you will not find at home. If you just open up a game and throw it out there without checking up on it I guarantee problems will emerge and they tend to compound. But the sad truth is most people don't care and they will keep putting money in so some ops just leave them alone. They play bad but still earn so they don't care.

Stern isn't perfect but they have put out some awesome games. It sounds like they will be doing something about the ghosting inserts too which would really boost my confidence in them too. Now if we just had the distributor options that you do in the USA I would be really happy.

#73 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Fish?? All I could see was that gravel

#74 7 years ago

"KILL WHITIE"

#75 7 years ago
    Quoted from TxJay:

Wait, you actually think that Stern makes their own individual parts themselves? You're kidding right?

It depends what the part is. I think they make some or pay to have them made specifically for them (same thing).

#76 7 years ago

Wow this thread is indeed a total waste of bandwidth. I can't believe I read the whole thing! I need 2 minutes of my life back.

Gimme 15 minutes with those games and they would be all back rocking. Just a lazy op, or maybe the person fell off the planet.

4 months later
    #77 7 years ago

yup am tired of having to pull wedge globes out of the ball return chute wish Gary was here to run around and fix them seeing he wanted to cut the cost down must not of realized while screwing the supplier that he would screw the manufacturer back and then ultimately the customer but from what i see here he does not care anymore

#78 7 years ago

I often don't understand some pinside topics with pinsiders battling and insulting eachother.
    Just gross.
    Leaving this strange vibe topic as fast as i got here!

There are 78 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/newer-stern-machines-questionable-quality/page/2?hl=hassanchop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.