(Topic ID: 2122)

Newbie to owning pinball machines, need recommendations for ~$1000 tables.

By drunkninja

13 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 54 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by pzy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 12 years ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

Besides my No Fear that I got off of craigslist for $600, all other good DMDs are $1200+
So for a good starter game that works its more than 1k, 1.5k you get a machine in better condition that works. The last thing I suggest someone new to this is get a project for 1k and end up wasting time fixing it when they could just buy a better machine. If someone wants to learn the hard way, so be it.

You say that you think it's better to have a couple machines then one more expensive one?
Well you have a couple much more expensive ones yourself instead of cheap ones haha!
Frankly going from 1k to 1.5k isn't going to cut out many machines in ones collection.

DMD/price doesn't mean more reliable and working though. Anything can be working or not, and problematic or not. Whatever one's budget is, my point is it would be better to have some multiple rather than one, as no matter what the machine, you will get bored of it.

Quoted from Frax:

Personally, I think that for someone that's just getting into pins, buying a Sys9/11 beater that needs a bit of work is a *fantastic* idea, especially if they're planning on having a decent sized collection. It's a great learning platform and let's face it. Very rarely do people have pins that don't need SOME work at some point, even in the home environment.

That worked for you, but I think a working machine or two first, and then a project is the most ideal situation. That is how I did it, and I was fortunate, as fixing my first machine took months (system 6 blah), and I screwed it up more before getting it to work. If you don't have the working machines to retreat to, it may leave distaste in one's mouth for the hobby on some level.

I am a firm believer that everyone eventually needs a project to f up and fix. It does worlds for you down the road.

#52 12 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

That worked for you, but I think a working machine or two first, and then a project is the most ideal situation.

+1

#53 12 years ago

See, and the pessimist in me says "I'm not going to work on a 4000 dollar game that I know nothing about service-wise." But keeping in mind, as I said... Shuttle was 95% working when I bought it. There wasn't anything FUNCTIONALLY wrong with the machine aside from the 4p display being borked and the GI connector burned. Literally, the first was a no-solder fix the way I dealt with it, and the GI ended up being 2 solder joints. Etiher way, the game was playable and fun...just looked like crap and didn't cost a fortune.

I wired a coil backwards in Pinbot. Only lost a fuse, I got lucky, but even if it had blown the CPU or driver board, I was only out $200 to start with, so I wasn't afraid to work on it. I had ZERO soldering experience, ZERO multimeter experience, and sure as heck ZERO PCB repair experience, lol.

I'm still kind of nervous working on my Stargate and STTNG truth be told because they're a lot more complicated than these dusty old simple games like Shuttle and Pinbot. Probably shouldn't say that about Pinbot. That thing is stupid crazy with wires and crap *everywhere* under the playfield!

#54 12 years ago

I have always enjoyed pinball, but it's been on a "back burner" my whole life. Last year, I finally got deep into it and bought my first machine... TZ. Kind of a crazy one to go for as a complete noob, but I did my research and knew it was the game I had to have.

I looked for a few months and finally found one in my price range that was in good shape and belonged to a collector. I took it home in September and thanks to the guidance of Pinside, RGP, IRC, and an incredible local community, I've been able to fix and maintain TZ and I'm very proud of it.

The only thing I can't do is board work - I would love to learn sometime. I suck at regular soldering too, but do a serviceable job (and I've seen way worse in other machines!)

I agree that starting with a working machine is key - projects are fine if you've got a few games under your belt and have a real plan of attack as to how you're going to fix it. Having TZ at about 90% (and being able to play it to blow off steam) was helpful.

You also have to get over the initial panic when you first lift the playfield and are met with an impenetrable nest of wiring.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunakeszi
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,481 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
York, NE
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/newbie-to-owning-pinball-machines-need-recommendations-for-1000-tables/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.