1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by sandro
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

d94583d339a4634a9b909577f1151dd08b518034 (resized).jpg
    9809A743-A357-49AA-9E5D-D767103147CF (resized).jpeg
    #1 1 year ago

Hi all, I am a complete newbie and have very little idea on electronics but I have an issue.
    My Adam’s family has started blowing the 5amp slow blow fuse in the main power supply box.
    I unplugged all connections to the power supply and put another fuse in, hoping I could slowly plug each run back in including the main coil but the fuse blew again.

Firstly should the power supply be able to be powered up and not blow the fuse with nothing connected?

And I guess in relation to this, probably obvious to some but with the fuse blowing when only this has power does that mean it is faulty.

Lastly any help as to whether to replace the whole power supply (should this be the issue) or just components in it?

#2 1 year ago
    9809A743-A357-49AA-9E5D-D767103147CF (resized).jpeg9809A743-A357-49AA-9E5D-D767103147CF (resized).jpeg
    #3 1 year ago

One of the two things circled in red is your likely culprit.

Unsolder one leg on one first, and if fuse holds put it back and unsolder one leg of the other one. Replace the bad one.

I doubt your line filter is bad.

LTG : )

d94583d339a4634a9b909577f1151dd08b518034 (resized).jpgd94583d339a4634a9b909577f1151dd08b518034 (resized).jpg
    #4 1 year ago

Thank you, forgive me, I will sound like an idiot but if I unsolder 1 and it can still power up what do they actually do ??

#5 1 year ago
    Quoted from mymanshed:

what do they actually do ??

Prevent electrical surges. When shorted/bad, they blow fuses.

Might not be your issue, but it is where I would start.

LTG : )

#6 1 year ago

Just in case...

My Addams Family has a sticker that says to use an 8 Amp fuse where you said you were using a 5 Amp...

It wouldn't surprise me if some technician in the past had put in a 5 Amp fuse that you removed and replaced with a 5 Amp.

MDL 8A 250V is the recommended fuse, but make sure if it isn't MDL, you get a SLO-BLO fuse, not a fast blow.

Now, if the 8A fuse blows, you will have to figure out where you have too much power drain, and it could be right where other people were telling you to look, but put the correct fuse in first.

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinRetail:

Now, if the 8A fuse blows, you will have to figure out where you have too much power drain, and it could be right where other people were telling you to look, but put the correct fuse in first.

Unless it's 220v area. Then would be 5a SB.

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from slochar:

Unless it's 220v area. Then would be 5a SB.

The manual (page 1-47) says 4a SB for foreign territories.

#9 1 year ago

Should the value of the fuse even matter if the backbox electronics are unplugged? The only current draw should be the filter caps (as per Lloyd's suggestion), the line filter, or a short in the windings of the transformer. Since the latter two are less likely, starting with the filter caps makes the most sense. After that, I'd go ahead and disconnect the line filter (since it's easier than diagnosing/replacing the transformer).

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/newbie-tech-adams-family-power-supply-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.