Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20171217_104933 (resized).jpg
20171217_104820 (resized).jpg
20171204_194002 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Broohaha.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

I was hoping to find a general maintenance section site, but it seems it's spread out among the various pin tech sections. So... I bought an Spider-Man back in Nov of last year, then put all new rubber in Dec. We've dwindled off a bit, but I'd say we average 5 games a day.

I bought one of the rubber sets from pinballife (https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=486), and I'm already seeing more significant wear than I would expect. Granted, if I could do it again, I would have simply ordered to spec out of the manual. Looks like I won't be using a lot of the rubber included.

My experience:
- probably had 5 of the 7/16 OD rubbers break off loose on the playfield (varied but 50-150 plays, some kept on breaking)
- 2 3/4 ID rubber (for the triagular bumpers near the flippers) seem to be chewing through very quickly (already replaced a couple of them with about 200 plays)
- some of the 7/16 OD rings some serious wear (shreading)
- flippers and the rings have significant black marks quickly (new pinballs, I did wipe them down, but is this machine oil or something?)

The machine came with white rubbers for most of the rings, which from what I can tell from the manual should be black...

Questions:
Should I be moving to black (and white is somehow less durable then white)?
Did I screw something up installing the 7/16 OD rubbers making them break so easily?
Should I be looking for some other brand of rubbers? (Perfectplay from PL or another vendor?)

Thanks for any advice.

20171204_194002 (resized).jpg20171204_194002 (resized).jpg

20171217_104820 (resized).jpg20171217_104820 (resized).jpg

20171217_104933 (resized).jpg20171217_104933 (resized).jpg

#9 6 years ago

Thanks everyone. I'm chalking this up to 90% inferior product quality, 10% user ineptitude on install.

pezpunk -

Quoted from pezpunk:...are you using a tool to put them on that might be causing a small tear?

I wasn't using a tool, but i did find certain ones (non-pointy) more difficult to get on with my finger. Note that the little tear you see on the left one came after install. Perhaps I should have heated them a bit with warm water. Suppose there could be some micro-tears.

DNO - Definitely going back to 'stock' with black. Good tip on the rotating.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 25.95
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 100.00
Playfield - Other
JuanSolo's modshop

$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Saint Johns, MI
$ 25.50
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Rockford, IL
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Broohaha.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/newbie-sanity-check-how-long-should-rubbers-last?tu=Broohaha and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.