You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20171217_104933 (resized).jpg
20171217_104820 (resized).jpg
20171204_194002 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

I was hoping to find a general maintenance section site, but it seems it's spread out among the various pin tech sections. So... I bought an Spider-Man back in Nov of last year, then put all new rubber in Dec. We've dwindled off a bit, but I'd say we average 5 games a day.

I bought one of the rubber sets from pinballife (https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=486), and I'm already seeing more significant wear than I would expect. Granted, if I could do it again, I would have simply ordered to spec out of the manual. Looks like I won't be using a lot of the rubber included.

My experience:
- probably had 5 of the 7/16 OD rubbers break off loose on the playfield (varied but 50-150 plays, some kept on breaking)
- 2 3/4 ID rubber (for the triagular bumpers near the flippers) seem to be chewing through very quickly (already replaced a couple of them with about 200 plays)
- some of the 7/16 OD rings some serious wear (shreading)
- flippers and the rings have significant black marks quickly (new pinballs, I did wipe them down, but is this machine oil or something?)

The machine came with white rubbers for most of the rings, which from what I can tell from the manual should be black...

Questions:
Should I be moving to black (and white is somehow less durable then white)?
Did I screw something up installing the 7/16 OD rubbers making them break so easily?
Should I be looking for some other brand of rubbers? (Perfectplay from PL or another vendor?)

Thanks for any advice.

20171204_194002 (resized).jpg20171204_194002 (resized).jpg

20171217_104820 (resized).jpg20171217_104820 (resized).jpg

20171217_104933 (resized).jpg20171217_104933 (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

Rubbers should at least last the evening.

The PL rubber rings seem dried out and chalky. For natural rubber rings use Marco or Pinball Resource. For synthetic the choice is yours.

#3 6 years ago

Don't piss around with rubber ones, get the Titans or super bands, problem solved for a long time.

#4 6 years ago

White from marco are the best. I had some pbl that broke just installing them. Marco will last for years in home use.

#5 6 years ago

The cracking and splitting is not right .. are you using a tool to put them on that might be causing a small tear?

The black marks are normal, no matter how new or clean the game. Especially on white rubbers.

One advantage of Titan / Superbands is dirt wipes right off of them. They also last much longer. Some people really hate the way they play, though. (Personally I don’t mind)

#6 6 years ago

I've been noticing a lot of posts about problems with PBL rubbers, unfortunately.

I use PBR rubbers, and have no complaints. Marco rubbers also seem to be fine, from what folks are saying.

Titan silicone rubbers are also popular.

#7 6 years ago

Some of those PL rubbers suck, those splitting small rubbers shouldn't do that, at all really.
I would go with black, it's more durable and shows wear and dirt less, plus it's what SM came with.
When the rubber gets a tad worn, like at the post in the pic, or at the end of a flipper, I just turn it to have the worn part out of play and expose some fresh material at the wear point, keep it playing fresh!
You can do that a time or two, then replace.

#8 6 years ago

Use once. Turn inside out. Use again. Done.

Kidding.

I've had issues lately with white rubbers wearing out prematurely. Like slings and post donuts breaking after 100ish plays. I think there are some bad quality ones out there at the moment, they should last longer.

#9 6 years ago

Thanks everyone. I'm chalking this up to 90% inferior product quality, 10% user ineptitude on install.

pezpunk -

Quoted from pezpunk:...are you using a tool to put them on that might be causing a small tear?

I wasn't using a tool, but i did find certain ones (non-pointy) more difficult to get on with my finger. Note that the little tear you see on the left one came after install. Perhaps I should have heated them a bit with warm water. Suppose there could be some micro-tears.

DNO - Definitely going back to 'stock' with black. Good tip on the rotating.

#10 6 years ago

I've been experiencing the same thing with rubbers from Marco. Prw branded. Every once in awhile they'll just bust for no apparent reason.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 25.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Machine - For Sale
Rockford, IL
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Lombard, IL
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 25.95
$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/newbie-sanity-check-how-long-should-rubbers-last and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.