9 months ago

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by boscokid
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_2822 (resized).jpeg

#1 9 months ago

Hello all,

I was trying to fix a Left flipper eos switch close trouble on my BSD but look like I screwup a little.

While looking at the fliptronic board more closely I unplugged the ribbon cable on the power board but replugged it while the machine was on! D'oh! No sparks or anything just a hiss and a messed up DMD so I powered it off.

Now the machine power up, the lights works and the switch registered when I pressed on them manually but no solenoids seems to work. Flipper, ball trough, pop bumper Kaput!

I thought it was maybe just some fuses but I tested the fuses on the power board and the fliptronic board with my cheap multimeter and there seems to have continuity or current.

Did I fry something bad or is there hope to revive it without big costs.

Thank all.

Cheers

Chris

#2 9 months ago

Did you test the fuses in circuit, or did you pull at least one side out of the fuse clip?

#3 9 months ago

Great thing you made me look again. Look like the auxiliary solenoid fuse F-112 is toasted. It is a 7A fuse. I looked at the fuse I got, the closest one I have is 8A. I guess it is a bad idea to test the machine with it!

Thanks

Chris

#4 9 months ago
    Quoted from DodgeThatOne:

I guess it is a bad idea to test the machine with it!

Yes. You already made one mistake. Don't over fuse and compound it in case more is wrong.

LTG : )

#5 9 months ago

Wise words indeed!

I'll order fuses and let you know if it was the only thing I fucked up! ;o)

Thanks all

Chris

#6 9 months ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Yes. You already made one mistake. Don't over fuse and compound it in case more is wrong.

I dunno...this can help identify the problem...just follow the source of the smoke

#7 9 months ago

but seriously ... never do that.

#8 9 months ago

1a over won't hurt anything in a test, any short will blow a 8a fuse fast as a 7a. Lot of safetycrats here I guess. Doesn't hurt to go safe though I suppose. You won't light the world on fire or your machine by going up 1a in a fuse.

#9 9 months ago
    Quoted from Ronkz650:

Lot of safetycrats here I guess.

What I would do is different than what I'd advise a newbie to do. Especially after he's already made one mistake that caused this.

#10 9 months ago

Hello all,

I received my order of 7A fuses today but the fuses I received have what to seems to be a mounting bracket on them as you can see from the picture enclosed.

Can I just cut the metal clip and use them or should I try to find fuses without mounting clips or can I just use them with the clip on.

Thanks a lot

Chris

IMG_2822 (resized).jpeg
    #11 9 months ago

Can I just cut the metal clip and use them

Yes.

#12 9 months ago

Thanks a lot LTG!

Chris

#13 9 months ago

F-112 was indeed the issue, now the solenoids are functioning as they should.

Thanks to everyone for your wise advices, it helped me a lot to troubleshoot and fix the problem as well as to understand a little more how a pinball machine works!

Cheers

Chris

#14 9 months ago

Hello all,
    I received my order of 7A fuses today but the fuses I received have what to seems to be a mounting bracket on them as you can see from the picture enclosed.
    Can I just cut the metal clip and use them or should I try to find fuses without mounting clips or can I just use them with the clip on.
    Thanks a lot
    Chris[quoted image]

Did you cut the cap off each end or just the word from each end of your fuse? If you left the cap, cut the wire only, and crammed it into your fuse holder, the holder won’t last long.

#15 9 months ago
    Quoted from ryanbrooks:

Did you cut the cap off each end or just the word from each end of your fuse? If you left the cap, cut the wire only, and crammed it into your fuse holder, the holder won’t last long.

Sorry, I am not sure I understand your question. I just cut the metal wire at each end of the fuse.

Thanks

Chris

#16 9 months ago

Sorry, I am not sure I understand your question. I just cut the metal wire at each end of the fuse.
    Thanks
    Chris

Pig tail fuses have a pressed on cap with the leads attached. If you just cut the leads, it will cause the fuse holder to eventually fail. You have to cut that cap off so the end of the fuse body is the same diameter of the fuse you replaced. It’s hard to cut with diagonal cutters.

#17 9 months ago

I was trying to fix a Left flipper eos switch close trouble on my BSD but look like I screwup a little.

No sparks or anything just a hiss and a messed up DMD so I powered it off.

Words of advice always work on the machine with the power off.

#18 9 months ago
    Quoted from ryanbrooks:

Pig tail fuses have a pressed on cap with the leads attached. If you just cut the leads, it will cause the fuse holder to eventually fail. You have to cut that cap off so the end of the fuse body is the same diameter of the fuse you replaced. It’s hard to cut with diagonal cutters.

Hello Ryan, thanks a lot for your answer.

I understand it is about physically forcing the clip on the holder. I tried taking the pressed cap off the fuse to no avail with the tool I have. I'll order new pigtail fuses without the extra cap.

Thanks again for your help

Chris

#19 9 months ago
    Quoted from bssbllr:

Words of advice always work on the machine with the power off.

Be sure, I'll do that from now on! Lesson learned!

Thanks

Chris

#20 9 months ago

as a newbie, there's still one thing left to do before this experience is complete. you'll thank me in a few years from now....

if you really learned your lesson, you'll explain and confess right here to the group WHY you unplugged/plugged in the ribbon cable with the machine on. everyone knows that's a huge No-No! and be honest. if you aren't willing to do that, you aren't really sorry for doing it. you're just relieved and joyous that it's working now, and you're 100% guaranteed to do something like that again, once you forget how nervous you were before this group saved you. so, why'd you do that?

#21 9 months ago
    Quoted from bigehrl:

you unplugged/plugged in the ribbon cable with the machine on. everyone knows that's a huge No-No!

obviously they don't or it would never happen. bigehrl IMO you're berating of this individual is unwarranted, not helpful, and is one of the reasons people are hesitant to ask for help on Pinside; this of course is my personal opinion.

#22 9 months ago
    Quoted from Pin_Guy:

obviously they don't or it would never happen. bigehrl IMO you're berating of this individual is unwarranted, not helpful, and is one of the reasons people are hesitant to ask for help on Pinside; this of course is my personal opinion.

i’m sorry you feel that way. when i was a newbie on RGP, and i fried my first game by working on it with the power on, an experienced veteran asked the same of me after i was helped to get it back up and running. and guess what.. every single time i go to do that, even now 15 yrs later, i stop and think about how a few extra seconds of effort can save me days of work, despite my natural desire to tempt fate. and boy, i’m glad he did! and i’m guessing, so now will you. plenty of people attempt the same, despite knowing better, so there's nothing obvious about it. so you can have your opinions, and i can have mine. but if you think that my request to him was berating, i’d suggest not reading much else here on Pinside, because compared to my post, a majority of this site will just make you lost faith in humanity. me, on the other hand, i was only trying to help someone learn a valuable early lesson.

#23 9 months ago
    Quoted from bigehrl:

as a newbie, there's still one thing left to do before this experience is complete. you'll thank me in a few years from now....
    if you really learned your lesson, you'll explain and confess right here to the group WHY you unplugged/plugged in the ribbon cable with the machine on. everyone knows that's a huge No-No! and be honest. if you aren't willing to do that, you aren't really sorry for doing it. you're just relieved and joyous that it's working now, and you're 100% guaranteed to do something like that again, once you forget how nervous you were before this group saved you. so, why'd you do that?

Hello bigherl,

I take no offense in your comment. To answer your question, I was wrongly assuming that reseating the ribbon cable could be done with the power on like testing if a switch register as opposed to replacing a mechanical part, a fuse or a rom for which I knew not to tinker with without powering the machine off. To be frank, I previously troubleshoot a DMD issue on another machine (the ribbon cable) while the power was on without any mishap. I should have known that by unplugging the cable and replugging it, I was cutting the power and bringing it back without following the proper procedure!

We learn from our mistake. I understand that ideally it is better to learn from the mistake of others to avoid making them in the first place, but I guess such is life!

Cheers

Chris

#24 9 months ago

Don't think of it as a 'repair that went bad' when its really only 'repairs you haven't completed correctly yet'

Everything in between is just the price of education, and most of us have done a lot worse to our games

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 89.99
    $ 1,200.00
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Rocket City Pinball
    $ 39.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Concealed Art
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    ArcadeArts
    Boards
    nvram.weebly.com
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7,699.00
    Pinball Machine
    The Pinball Place
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Game Room Info Shop
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 8.00
    Electronics
    Docent Electronics
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 20.90
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Haus
    $ 239.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Tilttopper
    Lighting - Interactive
    Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 28.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 15.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 7,699.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 35.00
    Boards
    Pinball Haus
    $ 149.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 159.00
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Iron Monger Decal Out of stock
    Flashinstinct

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside