(Topic ID: 221994)

Newbie question: What do you think is a half-decent score?

By Trond

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Sorry for sounding like a complete newbie, but that's what I am . Starting with a nice machine that is available in my local arcade: what do you think is an OK/good score for a beginner player of Theatre of Magic? What about a more experienced player score?

(Not sure if it "counts" but I also have Frankenstein simulation on my computer. What would you say is a similarly decent score here?)

#2 5 years ago

Better question is what is a half crap score? Are they the same??

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from Trond:

Sorry for sounding like a complete newbie, but that's what I am

No harm in that.

Quoted from Trond:

what do you think is an OK/good score for a beginner player of Theatre of Magic?

What was the score on the last game you played on it ?

That was a good score.

LTG : )

#4 5 years ago

The replay can sometimes be an indicator of a decent score.. unless it has a progressive replay value that someone jacked up

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

What was the score on the last game you played on it ?
That was a good score.
LTG : )

Stuart Smalley couldn't have said it better.

Now on the the question, you can judge a "good game" but a score or how far you get it in. I'd focus on trying to get towards the wizard mode and making progress there. Sometimes more modern games scores don't indicate a great game as much as getting further into it... Although sometimes the reverse is true.

Try popping a bill or 2 to feel like you're getting some progress. But of course Remeber all games are set up differently

#6 5 years ago

If a decent score is 100,000,000 then a half-decent score would be 50,000,000. Just play pinball and have fun, don’t worry about scores.

#7 5 years ago

I sold mine recently and I would be sour if I scored less than 3 Billion on a game. It was becoming quite a grind. So once you've played it a lot, a good score is in the billions. As a newbie, shoot for 100 mil, then when that becomes easy for you, shoot for 500 mil. Then 1 billion.

#8 5 years ago

If you click on Linked Games above and Theater of Magic then Scores tab you can see some scores Pinsuders recently posted. You won’t find much discussion about scores because game settings, difficulty, # of balls vary even among same pin at different locations. If you want to know if you are improving research the game and learn the wizard modes or rule sets and try to accomplish them. Or just try for a billion points.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from EvanDickson:

I sold mine recently and I would be sour if I scored less than 3 Billion on a game. It was becoming quite a grind. So once you've played it a lot, a good score is in the billions. As a newbie, shoot for 100 mil, then when that becomes easy for you, shoot for 500 mil. Then 1 billion.

OK. The best I got was just a bit above 500 000 000 I'll try for a billion next.

#10 5 years ago

Check out the scores on ToM pinside page. 340 scores posted, median was 500M so based on that you have a half decent score already

#11 5 years ago

In general, I start with comparing my score to the high scores on a game. A good game for me tends to be about half of what excellent players can score. You’ll start to get a sense of where you tend to net out over time.

If I easily score close to or above the top scores, I assume they’ve recently been reset, so I then look at how far I’m progressing in a game. Did I light up most of the playfield? Did I repeatedly start multi-ball? On EMs, did I play for s significant length of time? Did I hit things I was aiming at?

There’s an app, Pindigo, which you can use to track your high scores and it will compare them to other people, but it depends how many people record scores—a couple of times my scores were #1 or #2 and I *know* it’s impossible that those scores are anywhere near the best simply bc even the high scores on the machine were already way higher.

I’ve gotten good enough that once in a very rare while, a high score of mine is truly a high score. That’s a great feeling! Good luck!

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from gorgar007:

The replay can sometimes be an indicator of a decent score.. unless it has a progressive replay value that someone jacked up

Some people like to have goals or ways to measure themselves against other players besides height - that is cool.

I like to use the Extra Ball amount to give me an indication of what I should be shooting for. I think the default in ToM is around 600M?

Every machine is different and have different scales. But on the DMD, it will say, "Extra Ball at 600,000,000" or something. That is usually a reasonable indicator of a desired objective.

#14 5 years ago

I guess 600M is a Stretch-Goal.

#15 5 years ago

Watch Bowens tutorial here to learn how to get a great score:

http://pinballvideos.com/v/1668

#16 5 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Quoted from pinlink:

Interesting video! Also: my ball also got stuck twice in maybe six games. Maybe this is a weakness in this machine? I noticed that the machine seemed to shake itself when the ball was stuck, and this loosened the ball once (the other time I had to shake the machine quite a bit). Is this shaking mechanism a common feature in pinball machines? (I hope I wasn't imagining things )

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from Trond:

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Interesting video! Also: my ball also got stuck twice in maybe six games. Maybe this is a weakness in this machine? I noticed that the machine seemed to shake itself when the ball was stuck, and this loosened the ball once (the other time I had to shake the machine quite a bit). Is this shaking mechanism a common feature in pinball machines? (I hope I wasn't imagining things )

Yes newer games will fire all the solenoids in the game (called a ball search), so if a switch isn't working it will still fire the ball out of a scoop, saucer, etc.

#18 5 years ago

OK I only managed to get slightly higher than that today (about 370 million twice). Maybe I got lucky a couple days ago I focused more on learning certain techniques today though, like catching the ball.

By the way I thought ToM was available digitally in Pinball Arcade, but it does not seem to be included. Does anyone know what's up with that?

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from Trond:

OK I only managed to get slightly higher than that today (about 370 million twice). Maybe I got lucky a couple days ago I focused more on learning certain techniques today though, like catching the ball.
By the way I thought ToM was available digitally in Pinball Arcade, but it does not seem to be included. Does anyone know what's up with that?

As of June 30, the bally/williams titles were pulled from the pinball arcade. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-arcade-announces-it-wont-carry-ballywilliams-tables

#20 5 years ago

If you owned it before it was pulled you can still play it. Bugsy has a thread going to save the instructions from many of the games. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-pinball-arcade-instructions

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

That guy has amazing control over the ball by the way. I'm still working on live catching.

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from Trond:

That guy has amazing control over the ball by the way. I'm still working on live catching.

He's unreal. In some of his videos, if you look away from the action you'll notice he's doing goofy things like using only one hand for both flippers, or squeezing a squeaky toy after every flip.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Wanted
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

€ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 38.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 33.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 130.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 11.95
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Sandy Springs, GA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/newbie-question-what-do-you-think-is-a-half-decent-score?hl=phat_jay and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.