(Topic ID: 73508)

Newbie question: How tricky is it to add a real knocker to the STLE?

By astaroth

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Pinballpal
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Hi, not being too happy about the simulated knocker sound in Stern pins, I saw that a few folks have added one in their Stern. Also the manual mention that it could be used instead of the ticket machine. But I could not find any simple instruction on what parts to get and what would be the best location etc.

Also would the end result be as "loud" as I know the Williams pins use to do?

#2 8 years ago

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-there-any-stern-real-knocker-kits-available

Mine Is quite loud. For STLE, you'll just have to look to see if you have the software option, extra wire harness,same points available for power, and space for the knocker.

#3 8 years ago

I'll be doing mine when I move to the new house and actually open the box. I hope to be selling easy install kits in the new year...

#4 8 years ago

Thanks.. I will wait some time I might be able to find a ready made kit. Going for an LE you would hope Stern would fit one in.. yeah wishful thinking I know.

#5 8 years ago

The biggest pain is finding all the connectors. Due to minimum orders I think I spent 100$ on 2$ worth. I had thought of making kits, but well, don't want to except for maybe a couple close friends if they offer enough beer. Hope PT comes through to offer some out!

#6 8 years ago

Has anyone done this for RFM?

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from btw75:

The biggest pain is finding all the connectors. Due to minimum orders I think I spent 100$ on 2$ worth. I had thought of making kits, but well, don't want to except for maybe a couple close friends if they offer enough beer. Hope PT comes through to offer some out!

I think I finally came up with a simple way to get 50volt and also move the knocker to get a loud crack. Right now I am moving into a new house, so it will be a month or two before I roll out some betas.

Buy connectors from
www.greatplainselectronics.com

#8 8 years ago

I found some there, but they were out of things like Z connectors used to piggy back the board connectors.

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

I'll be doing mine when I move to the new house and actually open the box. I hope to be selling easy install kits in the new year...

I hope to buy your kit for my STLE. The horrible fake knocker noise grates on my ears and I can't wait to have a real one.

Thanks!

#10 8 years ago

If someone could hack the ROMs to sub the knocker sound for the extra man sound from Defender, this would all be moot.

Turn the knocker sound off in the menu until you get a solution. Nothing is better than the screech.

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

If someone could hack the ROMs to sub the knocker sound for the extra man sound from Defender, this would all be moot.
Turn the knocker sound off in the menu until you get a solution. Nothing is better than the screech.

I like both ideas. I did set it to a lower volume but it is definitely still too annoying. Thanks.

The first few times it happened I frankly thought it was an audio glitch, something getting corrupted in the data stream to the DAC.

Cheers!

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from Admiral:

The first few times it happened I frankly thought it was an audio glitch, something getting corrupted in the data stream to the DAC.
Cheers!

That was my first thought too. I was afraid my speakers were gonna blow!
Frankly, I never liked the knocker either, so I guess I'm just going to disable it.

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

I found the defender extra man sound http://www.emuunlim.com/doteaters/deffreeman.wav. I guess we can not replace the stern knocker sound with this with pinball browser because they are not the same length? Hope I am wrong but I think that's how it works. It would sound great in Star Trek. If any buddy can get it to work let me know.

#14 8 years ago

How about the super mario 1up mushroom sound? Haha

1 week later
#15 8 years ago

Hi. Has any STLE owner with electronics knowledge figured out where to hook the power for a real knocker?
I just got the parts from Pinball Life and wanted to plan ahead when my NIB finally arrives.
Thanks!

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from astaroth:

Hi. Has any STLE owner with electronics knowledge figured out where to hook the power for a real knocker?
I just got the parts from Pinball Life and wanted to plan ahead when my NIB finally arrives.
Thanks!

Please document what you do with pictures and directions! As well as part numbers... I'd love to put a real knocker in.

1 week later
#17 8 years ago
Quoted from astaroth:

Thanks!

Did the same spot that was open for Tron not work out? You can look at what's open in that same connector and see what is 50v and then go from there, or you can couple it with another like herg did.

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

The problem is the fake knocker sound is really short. I forget exactly it's something ridiculous though, like 8ms. And you can't replace it with a longer one, so you're really limited when it comes to changing it.

I don't want a video game sound anyways, you want everyone to hear that CRACK!

1 week later
#19 8 years ago
Quoted from astaroth:

Thanks!

Gonna grab the parts might make it my first video pod cast. Up all night games . I am the real up all night games no biggie tho.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 24.95
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
$ 6.00
$ 599.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
$ 92.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!