• Latest reply 3 years ago by Weese8015
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Book  (resized).jpeg
#1 3 years ago

I’m glad that I stumbled across this website it seems to have just about everything I was looking for. Unfortunately I am a late comer to actually owning a machine. I have wanted on forever but finally pulled the trigger and bought one a couple of weeks ago (1980 Roller Disco) from a great guy near Pittsburgh. He was great to deal with and taught me a lot while there before getting the machine back to my place in Western NY. (Medina, NY)
So now I’m defiantly hooked and would like to learn as much as possible. I’m 50 years old and have been working in manufacturing and machining for 30+ years so I have a bit of mechanical background.
The question I have is where to start? I have purchased this book (attached) as I figured it would be a good place to start. Any other advice as to learning maintain and repairing solid state machines like the 1980 machine I have?

Book  (resized).jpegBook (resized).jpeg
#3 3 years ago

Welcome to Pinside Weese8015 Since your Roller Disco is a Gottlieb you'll probably want to visit Pinball Resource and order a manual. http://www.pbresource.com/mansch.html
Steve Young is the proprietor over there and an excellent source of information.
Personally I find the Pinwiki very helpful, then I come back here for specific questions when I get stuck.

#4 3 years ago

Literally use the Pinball Beginners start here link on pinwiki and giv'r!!

#5 3 years ago

Welcome my friend !

Good information has already been posted.

If I might add. Pinball News has articles to help you learn in their old section : http://www.pinballnews.com/learn/index.html

And Youtube is littered with short how to videos for learning. How to solder, check continuity, use a meter, etc. etc.

And you can always post on Pinside. Some of the best help available may post to help you with a problem.

LTG : )

#6 3 years ago

Thank you all for some great information , it is greatly appreciated.

#7 3 years ago

Welcome aboard! That book was also the first one I ever bought, you'll probably find that most of it unfortunately is geared toward EMs (electro-mechanical). But the other sites that have been tagged above will be more specific to your game, and solid state and newer games in general.

There is a wealth of knowledge floating around in here - learn and apply! Keep in touch and let us know when you get your second game! We should start placing bets right now......

2 weeks later
#8 3 years ago

Update, I got the game to reset the score reels and kick out a ball. I guess that would be considered a full re-set. Very excited to get that far, but now its onto the play field to get all the lights and switches working as they should. I have a pop-up not working as well as a pop up target that is stuck. This figuring stuff out is a blast ... and very satisfying when it actually works.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/newbie-question-amp-this-site-is-awesome- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.