Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by Bamaro
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 12 years ago

I may be overthinking this, but i am ready to solder my first flipper coil. Now my coil has three lugs on it. got it from pinball life so im not sure if the have holes on the lugs. i have 4 wires running to it to solder. the last lug has the 2 wires going to it..now my question is can i put those to wires together like a ponytail, and solder them both in one shot, or do i solder them indiv. to the lug. 1 wire i assume is going to the cabniet and the other is going to the End of switch.

Also just for the future, are flippers pretty much universal, i mean can u use other companies flips on a different pin? (i don't want to do this i was just thinking about it for some reason

thanks

#2 12 years ago
    Quoted from mojozone:

can i put those to wires together like a ponytail, and solder them both in one shot

That is how I do it. Never had a failure.

#3 12 years ago
    Quoted from mojozone:

I may be overthinking this, but i am ready to solder my first flipper coil. Now my coil has three lugs on it. got it from pinball life so im not sure if the have holes on the lugs. i have 4 wires running to it to solder. the last lug has the 2 wires going to it..now my question is can i put those to wires together like a ponytail, and solder them both in one shot, or do i solder them indiv. to the lug. 1 wire i assume is going to the cabniet and the other is going to the End of switch.

Also just for the future, are flippers pretty much universal, i mean can u use other companies flips on a different pin? (i don't want to do this i was just thinking about it for some reason []

thanks

Go to YOUTUBE and watch a couple videos on how to solder/how to solder wire and you will
    get a better idea watching how its done.

#4 12 years ago
    Quoted from shanetastic:

That is how I do it. Never had a failure.

thank you, i thought so,i didnt want to screw it up.

#5 12 years ago

I used this video to help me learn when I started hope it might be of some use to you as well:

#6 12 years ago

If you try to solder them one at a time you will not get it soldered properly. They need to be done together.

#7 12 years ago
    Quoted from absocountry2:

If you try to solder them one at a time you will not get it soldered properly. They need to be done together.

+1

#8 12 years ago

they must be together...the ponytail should work. Individual won't work since you will keep re-melting the solder, and could break the other wire loose.

Good luck,,,,, btw..make sure you tin the tip of iron. I know its a repeat, but watch the videos.

Don't worry, you don't have to be good to solder a coil. I still suck at it, and all mine work 100%. It's just not as hard as you might think....

#9 12 years ago
    Quoted from mojozone:

Also just for the future, are flippers pretty much universal, i mean can u use other companies flips on a different pin?

Not really. Most modern pin flippers work on the same principle, and would on the surface be interchangable - but they make flippers of different strengths, and different games get different strength flipper coils.

Also, on a modern pin, there isn't a wire going between the coil and the EOS switch. That's handled electronically - interrupting an inductive load (like a flipper coil) with a small switch is not desirable (did EM's even use an EOS switch? If they did, it'd be considerably beefier than a modern one).

#10 12 years ago
    Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

I used this video to help me learn when I started hope it might be of some use to you as well:

GREAT LINK! This took me down memory lane.... It's all so clear now.... I need to buy more tools...

Thanks again!-)

#11 12 years ago

You can do it

#12 12 years ago

Slow down.

First, make sure you know exactly where each wire is suppose to go. If you solder the lugs incorrectly you WILL do board damage and it doesn't sound like your ready for board work.

Buy yourself some hemostatic clamps so you have a free hand while soldering. I will melt a little solder into each wire, overlay them on the lug, clamp them and then solder to the lug which has had some solder previously put on. The clamps are the key, makes a PITA job tolerable.

#13 12 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

First, make sure you know exactly where each wire is suppose to go.

Tru dat. Pinball hell is paved with good intentions.

Always take a photo before you change something like that. No matter how basic it appears to be. I have been baffled many times over even 2 wire connections – thinking “ok, I can remember that wire x goes to the top and y to the bottom”, and then questioning this after.

#14 12 years ago

Thanks for the help, i will let u know how it goes this weekend.

#15 12 years ago

If the coil has a diode on it be sure to solder the + wire to the lug by the banded end on the diode. It will not necessarily be the same as the old coil.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/newbie-qestion-about-soldering-a-coil and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.