Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

40181[1].jpg
40180[1].jpg
40179[1].jpg
#1 9 years ago

Hi,
I recently bought a Williams HURRICANE from 91.. I would estimate that 30% of all the bulbs are blown.. Particularly at the far top of the game where the clown is... It is dark, very dark

How much does a complete LED set improve the looks of the game ?

1, When you guys go LED... Do you change everything to LED or is the common practice to keep some ordinary bulbs ? Reason for asking I read somewhere a fully LED machine will be too bright making it annoying to play. All nonflashing bulbs should not be LED but the static lighted ones should be LED.... What is the "generall norm" here, if there is one ?

2 A complete LED set isn´t free.. Quick search revealed a set for $300 on E-bay.. I don´t want to put that amount into the game and find out it was not at all neccessary to go all in on LED.. Should I handpick some LED´s at a store and is there a recommended guide somewhere which ones to switch depending on which game comes into question. ?

Thanks
Matt in Sweden

#2 9 years ago

hello matt , take a look on www.led4pin.eu , i Always buy them there , good price , good service . Staf .

#3 9 years ago

An led kit is probably about $130 for the inserts. For this game, I would spend a few bucks in bulbs and just replace them.

Quoted from Flippermatt:

I don´t want to put that amount into the game and find out it was not at all neccessary to go all in on LED.

#4 9 years ago

buy some LED and play around .. see what YOU like the look of.

#5 9 years ago

There is no one who can tell you what you will like. I would highly recommend getting a cheaper sample pack, here is a good place to start. http://www.cometpinball.com/mobile/Product.aspx?ProductCode=300-Pack-LED
Find what works for you.

#6 9 years ago

Pre-packed kits is the most expensive way to do this and you might not like what the kit seller selected.
As Rock said, get some samples and see what you like.

#7 9 years ago

My first LED conversion I used a kit. It was nice and all of the sections were divided in little bags (backglass, playfield, etc). Everything was color matched and it looked great. I tweaked some of the colors and used the leds I removed in other machines.

Second pin I counted the inserts by color and ordered the appropriate number of each with a couple extra. I also chose the colors for the backglass based upon what I thought would look good. This was cheaper but a little more effort.

Now I just buy 100-200 cool frosted bulbs from Comet. This gets them down to .26 USD/piece. I put them in every socket except the flashers. Then I play the game for a while and decide what I like the look of. So far the only color that looks bad to me is the purple inserts tend to wash out too much. When I get a bad match I through in a led matched to the insert color.

HTH

#8 9 years ago

And be sure to get non-ghosting LEDs for the inserts:

http://emmytech.com/arcade/led_ghost_busting/

viperrwk

#9 9 years ago

Hold up!

Before you go buying a LED kit I don't think that's your problem. if you say that 30%of the lights are out in the upper playfield by the clown I have a very strong suspicion that your GI connector is the problem. I am guessing this because I had the same issue with my first pin which was a hurricane. Look at your GI connectors (offhand I do not remember the specific numbers for them, but look at mine in the pics, you can probably figure out where yours are in relation to them), do any of them look brown or burnt? Are they like mine where they completely burnt away?

On mine at one point an operator soldered the wires directly to the board as you can see, but they were still fixable.

If so that is your problem. Sure you can buy LEDS later to improve the look, but before you spend $100 you will need to fix this issue, otherwise they will not work at all.

40179[1].jpg40179[1].jpg
40180[1].jpg40180[1].jpg
40181[1].jpg40181[1].jpg

#10 9 years ago

And the issue of burnt connectors is fixable I should add, Its also a very common one. The connectors would get very hot when these games were left on in arcades and in bars for hours sometimes days or even weeks at a time.

Report back after looking at yours and if that's the issue we can all help walk you through what you need to buy and do to fix this.

#11 9 years ago

As stated, find the problem why 30% of lights are out. It could be burnt connection, or perhaps just a fuse Also, if you have a manual (or download one), perhaps all the blown bulbs are on the same column which will help isolate the issue.

Personally, I will always leave incandescent in the GI, but I'm one of those that sees the crazy flickering/strobing. LEDs elsewhere may be useful. I just did a thread comparing LEDs, I was going for the not-super bright, more normal look - you can check that out here if you'd like: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/photo-comparison-comet-led-warm-white-options

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from ozuba:

or perhaps just a fuse

Good point, could be the case as well. When testing fuses pull them out and set your digital multi meter to continuity and see if they buzz or you get a tone when testing them.

Do the visual check of the connectors first. If they look ok then WITH THE GAME OFF, unplug them and then plug them back in tight making sure they are being pugged back in correctly. Then turn the machine back on and see if the lights work. If that fails, then try the fuses.

1 month later
#13 9 years ago

What ever became of this issue? Did new bulbs correct the problem or were there connector problems?

I will say, I installed all "Comet Pinball" frosted LED's in mine and it looks amazing!

Art is awesome and super helpful. Not to mention he has great prices. He's at... CometPinball.com.

Also, Rock Custom Pinball has great prices and LED's as well, not to mention under cab lighting kits and speaker light kits as well. Chris is awesome as well and he's at... RockCustomPinball.com

Anyway, good luck and let everyone know how you made out.

5 months later
#14 9 years ago

HI... Time to get back to this thread. A few other games came inbetween and Hurricane got put on hold.. There are so many issues with the lights here most of them being very dim. I have to enter the world of WPC with all it´s issues now that I´ve learned what all sorts of problems the G.I can cause on Williams Sys 11.

reg
Matt in Sweden

1 month later
#15 9 years ago

No LED's in my playfield. I might switch at some point. Rock Custom Pinball made me an awesome LED undercab lighting kit for $90. Check it out...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/newbie-pinballer-led-question-williams-hurricane-91 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.