Topic poll

“Paint a vintage or leave it original???”

• No way! 1 vote
    17%
  • Let me think about it... 2 votes
    33%
  • Yes definitely!!! 3 votes
    50%

(Multiple choice - 6 votes by 4 Pinsiders)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider parasite68.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

Okay guys, I’ve been restoring/repairing my ‘79 KISS and I’m ready to start painting. I’ve got my stencils, paints and supplies, but I’m hesitant to gut the machine in fear of it not working when I put it back together.
I’m wondering if anyone here has painted a machine without gutting it, and if so, how did it turn out?

I plan on removing the back box but leaving the playfield in, while keeping the cabinet on a lift cart.

Am I crazy? Has anyone painted one like this? All opinions, suggestions, and tips are welcome! Let them fly!!!

Thanks in advance,
Brian

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from JethroP:

Sounds like you're only painting the outside of the cabinet, obviously not the inside too. That being the case, it's easy to remove the playfield without "gutting" it, and I would recommend removing it. Just unplug it and remove it. Get a roll of painter's masking tape and masking paper and completely mask off everything else you don't want to get paint on. I paint cabinets with them propped up on a 4 wheel dolly. Makes it easy to roll outside, paint, and roll back indoors. I do the backboxes sitting on a portable work table.
It takes me hours to tape off a machine before I begin to paint. Takes only minutes to paint. I've never bought stencils. Always made my own, and have restored numerous machines to factory paint/designs.

Thanks!!!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 85.00
Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 18.98
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clermont, FL
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 22.50

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider parasite68.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/newbie-paint-question?tu=parasite68 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.